Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Hi Rooster.

3 Hop Pale Ale

Chinook 10gms (13.3%AA) @ 15mins

Ella 10gms (14.3%AA) @ 5mins

Chinook 25gms @ flameout

Ella 25gms dry hopped

Anthony' date=' have you tasted this yet? If so, how do the Ella and Chinook go together? I've also wondered about Ella and Amarillo.[/quote']

I've had this crash chilling for the last 3 or so days. It's going in a keg this afternoon. I'll update on that once it's carbed up sufficiently & drinking well.

* Edit: Just finished kegging & bottling the the 3 hop pale ale. Had a good swig of a sample towards the end of bottling. Really nice. The tropicals from Nelson are there, the citrus from the Chinook is there, the floral aromas of the Ella are there, & there is a nice spice on the palate (that I was looking for) from both the Chinook & Ella late additions. Most pleased. happy

Amarillo & Ella are both quite floral in how they present, & would blend together quite well I would think. Ahtanum you can certainly put into that group as well. I'm trying to teach myself how each of these hops work best & when in conjunction with other hops, what sorts of attributes compliment one another without being too much alike. I have found that you can produce a much fuller hop character by using a variety of hops that have complimentary attributes rather than groups of hops that have very similar attributes.

It's a long learning process though. pouty

Cheers,

Anthony.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a few hops I've never played with' date=' not even sure if I've tasted them in commercial examples. Does your malt bill produce a lighter coloured IPA? [/quote']

It is nice and lightly coloured actually.

Based on my favourite commercial IPA - Ballast Point Big Eye which is a big dank face punch of a beer.

I love it.

Hey Gang,

It sure looks like some nice brews turned out these day. Good going, Boys.

I've taken a few week off of brewing as of late as I've been busy with other things and burned out for my wedding gig.

I've got the bug again though and have a brewday plan for next weekend. This is whats planned.

Blackwater Falls ESB

5 Kg Pale Ale malt (54%)

2.4 Kg ESB malt (26%)

1.5Kg Vienna (16%)

.2 Kg Crystal (2%)

.02 Kg Roasted Barley (.2%)

25g Nugget (14.5%) 60mins

60g Cascade (5.5%)

42L

WLP 005

Mashed @ 66C, IBU's 32.6 ,SRM 6.6 ,OG 1.052, Boil 75mins, No-chill adjusted.

It'll be my fist brew using Vienna Malt. I'm looking forward to it.

There's a few hops I've never played with' date=' not even sure if I've tasted them in commercial examples. Does your malt bill produce a lighter coloured IPA? [/quote']

It is nice and lightly coloured actually.

Based on my favourite commercial IPA - Ballast Point Big Eye which is a big dank face punch of a beer.

I love it.

I bought the Ballast IPA last night. I never truly understood 'dank' in an IPA until having that. Not sure how I feel about it. Having some more tonight.

I had a beautiful golden coloured IPA a few nights ago on tap. I didn't expect to enjoy it but one of the best I've ever had.

Real quick brew day today. Finished kegging a beer earlier & quickly threw down this experimental brew to test out on a few megaswill mates.

Coopers Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg

LDM 750gms

Dextrose 300gms

2 limes zested & juiced

1 lemon zested & juiced

Motueka 25gms dry hopped

Yeast nutrient (sacrificed kit yeast in the fruit/dextrose boil)

Brewed to 23 litres

Re-hydrated Nottingham yeast

Aiming to ferment low @ 15-16°C

OG = approx. 1.040

FG = approx. 1.008 (expecting possibly lower)

IBU = 20

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.1%

I've only ever used fruit in a brew once before so will be interested to see how it impacts on this beer. Hopefully the additional Motueka compliments any lemon & lime (that surfaces) on the nose.

Well' date=' brew day done, forgot to adjust my efficiency and overshot by 5 points. 1055. Oh well, should be a nice beer regardless.[/quote']

You must be soo dirty on yourself Ben. Damn, extra ABV!! devil

tongue

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Ben. smile

Real quick brew day today.

Did one similar' date=' juiced a lime and threw it in.

Held the lime flavour oh so well.

Happy Brewing![/quote']

I did take note of your recipe with that. If I remember rightly you left the limes in the fermenter throughout primary? unsure

I thought about doing that & then remembered reading somewhere that the "pith' holds most of the bitterness from the fruit (not always a bad thing). I just thought for purely experimental reasons, I'd try a different approach.

I pretty much used the exact approach I provided a link for with your Rosella flower wheat beer.

We'll see how it goes. wink

Good luck with your CentenniAle. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Going for a two-fer this long weekend:

Best Bitter (24L)

3.5kg BB Ale Malt

500g Dingeman's Biscuit Malt

200g Bairds Med Crystal

300g White Sugar

Mashed @ 66c

Boil:

30g Challenger @ FWH

Yeast Nutrient, Whirlfloc & Sugar @ 10 mins

30g Challenger @ Flameout

Ferment with WY1469 starting at 20 and raising to 24 over 4-5 days.

Will prime with 4g/L

Best Bitter (24L)

Hmm' date=' I'm going to need to get some UK hops and make a Bitter again soon.

Meanwhile...

Recipe: Don't Mention the War II

Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG

Estimated Color: 12.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 30 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

2.50 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)

2.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)

10.00 g Magnum [13.00 %'] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Steep

15.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Steep

25.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is good! The 2 litre starter of WLP820 (Oktoberfest) is ready to put down the Oktoberfest in March brew and the fermeezer will be free on Thursday.

The final tweaks have been added to the recipe and I'm busting to go:

Aus Ocktoberfest in March

Oktoberfest/Marzen

Recipe Specs

----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.0

Total Grain (kg): 10.000

Total Hops (g): 120.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.061 (°P): 15.0

Final Gravity (FG): 1.018 (°P): 4.6

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.59 %

Colour (SRM): 8.4 (EBC): 16.5

Bitterness (IBU): 20.4 (Average)

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 78

Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill

----------------

5.500 kg Pilsner (55%)

3.000 kg Munich I (30%)

1.000 kg Vienna (10%)

0.500 kg Caramunich I (5%)

Hop Bill

----------------

60.0 g Tettnanger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

20.0 g Crystal Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

20.0 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (2.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

20.0 g Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

Two step Infusion: Mash in/Protein Rest at 55°C for 20 mins; then 65°C for 60 mins.

Fermented at 12°C with WLP820 - Oktoberfest/Märzen Lager

Then I'm off to Qld for a fortnight at the start of next week which will (fortunately) stop me from stuffing around with it - so I'll have to be patient!

Cheers

Phil

Edit added: 2:40 pm. I just realised that those who don't know me might be silly enough to think I may have been clever enough to come up with recipe tweaks. I did the basic bits, but a kind chap (adr_0) fine tuned the mash schedule for me to keep it within style guidelines.

Bitsa American ipa toucan with all my leftovers

Coopers OS lager can

Coopers APA can

1kg be1

250g crystal malt

150g choc malt

25g cascade at 15mins

15g mosaic at flame out

15g Willamette at flamout

T58 safbrew and APA kit yeast

25g Amarillo dry hop

OG 1.062

22 degrees for 12 hours and now down to 18 for the rest of the ferment

Hi A man.

Coopers OS lager can

Coopers APA can

1kg be1

250g crystal malt

150g choc malt

25g cascade at 15mins

15g mosaic at flame out

25g Amarillo dry hop

OG 1.062

Not as weird as it looks.

That said' date=' the T-58 should make it interesting. [img']wink[/img]

Good luck with the brew,

Anthony.

Hi A man.

Coopers OS lager can

Coopers APA can

1kg be1

250g crystal malt

150g choc malt

25g cascade at 15mins

15g mosaic at flame out

25g Amarillo dry hop

OG 1.062

Not as weird as it looks.

That said' date=' the T-58 should make it interesting. [img']wink[/img]

Good luck with the brew,

Anthony.

Thanks mate, we'll see how this one turns out. I'm thinking at maybe I should have omitted the choc malt. I'm at the experimental stage of brewing now, got some really nice beers aging so I can semi afford to sacrifice a brew to the learning gods (but if I pull it off I'll be chuffed!)

It's my first time using t-58, very keen to see what results I'll get from it!

G'day Brewers, Ok I blame Your Kingship, I have made a Toucan Stout and when fermentation has finished it will be bottled in glass crown seals, tasted through it maturation once a month, hopeful for good results for May next year. wink

1 OS Stout

1 OS Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

up to 23 Litres

3x Coopers kit yeast re-hydrated and stirred in at 22°C and will ferment at 18°C

I'm ready for the big krausen too......happy

Cheers.

G'day Brewers' date=' Ok I blame Your Kingship, I have made a Toucan Stout and when fermentation has finished it will be bottled in glass crown seals, tasted through it maturation once a month, hopeful for good results for May next year. [img']wink[/img]

1 OS Stout

1 OS Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

up to 23 Litres

3x Coopers kit yeast re-hydrated and stirred in at 22°C and will ferment at 18°C

I'm ready for the big krausen too......happy

I can often get a big krausen too, I just don't see the need to brag about it! wink

biggrin

Cheers & good luck with the brew Magnaman.

Anthony.

Brewing my BIAB mini-mash Dunkelweizen tonight ...

Batch size: 10 litres into fermenter

Grains:

500g Wheat

500g Munich 1

50g Dark Crystal (240 EBC)

50g Choc Malt

Extract: 1kg Coopers Wheat LME

Hops: 20g Hallertau Tradition @60mins

Yeast: Harvested WLP300

Basic plan: 60 minute mash @ 66C, 8 litre 60 minute boil adding LME @10mins, chill in ice bath, top up to 10 litres in fermenter and pitch yeast @ under 20C

Planning to have a couple of Coopers 2014 ESVA along the way so should be fun! Everything's set up and the mash is currently 15 mins from being done biggrin

I have to admit, that looks like a very nice brew.

This little bit is not a criticism because I see many people (all of whom are way smarter than me) do that level proportional to brew volume, however personally I wouldn't use 50g roasted barley for 11 litres of wort. It really is very intense in colour, and I suspect it may overwhelm the flavour just a tad for my palate.

ChristinaS1 has done a lot of work with these dark and roasted grains, and I'd love to hear her opinion. But irrespective, it looks as though it should be a great result.

Try to be good, Big Boy.

Cheers

Edit added: Ooops! It wasn't roasted barley, it was dark choc. As you were, MadMan! lol

Thanks Phil. It is JWM Chocolate Malt (500 - 800 EBC). I was see-sawing back and forth on how much to put in. I wanted some darkness but not much of a perceptible roastiness in flavour. I looked at calculators, searched high and low for dunkelweizen recipes and talked to the owner of my LHBS with my concern of flavours and colours. I may have overdone it but we shall see. If I have, lucky it's a small batch and I can learn for next time! I was thinking of getting some dark or midnight wheat instead but since I had this on hand thought I'd give it a try.

I'm into the boil now and the wort colour looks like it will end up just about what I'm after. Just realized that perhaps I shouldn't have done a mashout with the dark grains in there but a taste test has things going pretty well at the moment.

Great, good to know! I didn't taste any harshness on my OG sample so I think I have come through unscathed. OG was 1.056 which is a few points higher than expected so everything looks to be on track. I ended up pitching the harvested yeast and slurry as per Ben10's easy method at 20C ... see if it has kicked in by the morning!

OK, put my first ever brew down last night and things didn't go so smoothly.

Sparkling Ale as per recipe

Firstly I forgot to put the tap in the fermenter luckily I had only put light dry malt and hot water in so I tipped it on it's side pulled the bung out and and put the tap in.

Then I got carried away filling to the 23 lt mark forgetting to check the temp before I knew it she was there and it was 28.7 degrees. OG was 1.063 seemed high. Added yeast then into a bath of ice water to cool probably took around 3hrs to get to 22 degrees.

A little worried though it seems to be bubbling away slowly this morning so fingers crossed.

I wouldn't worry too much; it sounds as though you've taken pretty quick corrective action. As long as you keep fermenting it at a cool temperature you'll be fine. You'll get a nice tasting beer if you ferment it a little cooler than the can's recipe suggests. I do most all ales at 18C, but try to keep it at or below 21C if you can.

Archived