Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Hi Phil

Thanks for posting your spreadsheet info.

My gut feel is that it will probably come out somewhere between the two.

I continue to use the HCF on anything that is extract, and not a full boil (or very close to). But that is just my personally preference as I have found if i don't, my brews don't come out at a bitterness level i am comfortable with. I know a lot of people that suggest if the boil is over 8L, then to turn the HCF off, but I prefer to do it when it is over 15L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intuitively, I would have thought that too. I followed John Palmer's guidelines in his Designing a manifold appendix, and to save you having to read it all, he says:

The slots can face up, down or to the side; hydraulically, it makes no difference.

So the ones in the two middle arms face up. It's rather deceptive in the pic, but the slots in the outer arms, however, face inward and up at about a 45 degree angle. I did it this way to ensure I could drain out as much of the worty goodness as the design would allow.

Thanks from the Philly

BREWDAY!

Hey everyone, following on from my 'leftovers' thread, tonight I am putting down my second attempt at an English IPA using the Coopers kit.

1.7kg Coopers IPA

1.5kg Morgans Caramalt Extract

400g Dextrose

30g EK Goldings @ 20 minutes

15g Willamette @ 15 minutes

MJ British Ale Yeast

22 litre brew.

Estimates: OG 1051 / FG 1011 / IBU 55.

This batch will be roughly 10.5 IBUs higher than my last attempt which was my take on the Motueka Hop Slam recipe. Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Hi Phil

Thanks for posting your spreadsheet info.

My gut feel is that it will probably come out somewhere between the two.

I continue to use the HCF on anything that is extract' date=' and not a full boil (or very close to). But that is just my personally preference as I have found if i don't, my brews don't come out at a bitterness level i am comfortable with. I know a lot of people that suggest if the boil is over 8L, then to turn the HCF off, but I prefer to do it when it is over 15L[/quote']

I did the same thing when I was doing extract. Most of my boils were only 5-6 litres but if I had have turned the HCF off then they would have ended up too sweet.

If it's showing 38 or whatever it was then it should be pretty much where you want it for that beer. You will have to do a side by side test with a SN pale when it's ready and let us know how it went! biggrin

That clone recipe is next in line to be brewed here too I believe.. need some for Xmas presents. lol

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Hairy

It's just one I put together myself. If you promise not to laugh (it's the first time I ever tried to braze anything)

Hey Phil' date='

Next time don't bother to braze any of the joints. Just leave them loose fitted. They don't have to be leak proof and it's handy to be able to take it apart some time.

[img']innocent[/img]

Hi Mark.

...Estimates: OG 1051 / FG 1011 / IBU 55.

This batch will be roughly 10.5 IBUs higher than my last attempt which was my take on the Motueka Hop Slam recipe. Any feedback is appreciated.

What IBU number are you using as a base for the IPA kit stats? I've got a feeling you are using the original 1.25 volume factor used by IanH's spreadsheet to calculate kit IBU's.

I was educated through conversations here on the forum that the bitterness figures provided by Coopers about their kit tins is calculated by their weight (1.7kgs)' date=' not their volume in litres as is used by IanH's spreadsheet.

So using the Thomas Coopers IPA kit (710 bitterness) as the example...

IanH's SS uses: Kit bitterness rating multiplied by the [b']kit volume[/b], divided by the ferment volume in litres

710*1.25/23 = 38.5 IBU

Coopers uses: Kit bitterness rating multiplied by the kit weight, divided by the ferment volume in litres

710*1.7/23 = 52.5 IBU.

I changed all of my kit IBU figures in the spreadsheet accordingly. The numbers by themselves aren't nearly as important as what it tastes like at the glass, but it does help in a forum environment to be on the same page etc. when discussing recipes.

On the recipe...

I'm generally quite happy with the bitterness level that comes from the IPA kit as is, & only add very late addition hops at sub 5min/flameout or dry hopping in conjunction with it. That said an enjoyable drinking bitterness level for me, might not be high enough for you. It's different from person to person. Coincidentally, the Coopers DIY UK Hop Slam IPA recipe only uses dry hopping with the kit also.

You'll certainly gain some extra sweetness from the morgans caramalt extract & adding a little more bitterness to balance that is often not a bad idea.

It's a tricky one to advise on, but if you are looking for more bitterness than what the base kit provides, you'll certainly get it with your extra hop additions at those entry points in the boil. wink

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Anthony.

Next time don't bother to braze any of the joints. Just leave them loose fitted. They don't have to be leak proof and it's handy to be able to take it apart some time.

innocent

G'day to our man in the northern climes

That's a bloody good idea. I have to admit I would have loved to have thought of initially. After my first stuck sparge' date=' I thought I'd rule out as as many [i']possible[/i] causes as possible, so I connected a hose to the external barbed outlet and flushed lots of water through it. As you have indicated, I was getting a bit of "crap" being flushed out (both tiny grain particles and some cloudiness obvious in the first bit of water as well. So now I've been doing it after every brew, but because I did braze all the joints, I'll never know if I got it all out unless I tear it down.

At least the copper sparge arms are still all clear when I checked it.

Thanks for the tip, Canuck-man. I will have to make a new one now - and with the "practice" run, I'm sure I'll make a better and neater job of it too! Fingers crossed.

Cheers for the Philster.

Hey Anthony,

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't aware of that calculation with IanH's spreadsheet.

I definitely do want some more bitterness to counteract the sweetness from the Caramalt but nowhere north of 65 IBU really. I might go with this instead:

30g EKG @ 15 minutes

20g Willamette @ 7 minutes (for aroma mainly).

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers + beers,

Mark.

After my first stuck sparge' date=' I[/quote']

Hey mate, I have two "boil screens" that I am never going to use, I could post them to you if you'd like to try them.

http://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-equipment-pots-and-hardware/other-boil-screen-150mm

http://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-equipment-pots-and-hardware/other-boil-screen-300mm

That really is an incredibly generous offer, B10, because I've seen how much they cost!!! I assumed, though, they were used in the boil kettle and not the mash tun. However, I'm probably wrong because this year is not my turn to use the family brain cell.

Cheers, Phil

I assumed' date=' though, they were used in the boil kettle and not the mash tun.[/quote']

They can, in fact, be used for both. Let me know and I'll briefly post an email addy.

Hi Ben10

For your safety, it's probably easier for me to make a temporary email address in one of my domains; I can then block any e-Mails after that to that address. Because I am my own ISP, it's a doddle. I'd love to take you up on your offer, so you can reach me at: fromb10@phile.com.au if you want.

Cheers and thanks, Phil

Consider yourself "The Guinea Pig" porschemad! biggrin

I'm sure it will be a nice drop. Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Mr. Beer 'Bewitched' Amber ale is looking good so far. I've been holding the temp at 18C and it has developed a nice, fairly tame krausen. The gravity has dropped to 1.014 after 4 days so my little yeasties seem fairly healthy. The gravity sample tasted great - similar to James Squire's amber ale but a bit nicer with some tasty passionfruit hops. It might turn out quite good smile

The plan at this stage is to leave it in the FV for a total of 2 weeks and then enjoy a nice easy bottling day with not too many bottles to sanitize and only a tiny little FV to clean up. Looking forward to that!

I will then get my hefeweizen going - have got the wheat malt and White Labs WLP300 in the fridge and some Hallertau in the freezer all ready biggrin. I reckon that a 10 litre volume into the FV will comfortably give me 9 PETs and a six pack of stubbies, which fits nicely into one of those Coopers PET boxes for storage.

I am wondering about one thing on the Kit and Extract spreadsheet. For a 5 litre boil with 1.040 gravity until a late extract addition, should I enable the HCF for bittering calculations? It's only a 2g difference in hop weights for a 60min boil but I'm sure this will make some sort of perceptible difference. At this point I'm thinking the answer is to leave it off for this batch, see how it turns it out, then brew it again with the hop quantities tweaked up or down to taste.

Hi Porschemad.

The gravity sample tasted great - similar to James Squire's amber ale but a bit nicer with some tasty passionfruit hops. It might turn out quite good smile

Sounds yummo! love

I am wondering about one thing on the Kit and Extract spreadsheet. For a 5 litre boil with 1.040 gravity until a late extract addition' date=' should I enable the HCF for bittering calculations? It's only a 2g difference in hop weights for a 60min boil but I'm sure this will make some sort of perceptible difference. At this point I'm thinking the answer is to leave it off for this batch, see how it turns it out, then brew it again with the hop quantities tweaked up or down to taste.[/quote']

When you have the HCF enabled on the spreadsheet you are having your boil volume taken into consideration when calculating IBU figures. Although I believe in "Garetz Theory" when it comes to calculating IBU from smaller boils, I found discussing recipe ideas with other brewers it just created problems, & a lot of wasted conversation to'ing & fro'ing about the IBU number quoted to the point where I no longer use the HCF & simply quote my IBU figure from Tinseth formula.

Try not to make the mistake(s) I did early on, & get too hung up on it. At the end of the day it is just an arbitrary number that by itself doesn't tell you a whole lot about a beer anyway. Try to move towards trusting your own instincts & perceptions at tasting from the glass, & make your adjustments from there.

P.S. I was just curious about the yeast that comes with the craft series kits. What weight is it? Anything distinguishable about it? etc..etc.?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Philbo.

Will ferment with 1272' date=' as I'm not keen on CCA yeast.[/quote']

I am gonna use the CCA yeast again soon' date=' but I will be very careful to build it up slowly and pitch an absolute fark-load of it.[/quote']

What happened to 'Affirmative Action Philbo'?!! tonguebiggrin

Just curious, how many IBU's do you achieve through that flameout addition 'no chilling'?

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Anthony.

Aussie Pale Ale today.

24L' date=' 30IBU, 1.048

3.5kg BB Ale Malt

1kg Wey Munich

250g Wheat

200g Sugar

Mashed @ 64-65c

The boil (60min):

10g Super Pride FWH

1/2 whirlfloc & yeast nutrient @ 10min

40g Super Pride @ F/O

Will ferment with 1272, as I'm not keen on CCA yeast.[/quote']

Hi P1

Yum yum yum yum yum yum... (you get the drift)

I had to look up the details for Super Pride (very high alpha, high to v high beta) 'cos I've never tried it. That's gonna make one super tasty PA. I'll look forward to how this one turns out.

innocent

G'day to our man in the northern climes

Thanks for the tip' date=' Canuck-man. I will have to make a new one now - and with the "practice" run, I'm sure I'll make a better and neater job of it too! Fingers crossed.

Cheers for the Philster.[/quote']

I need to make up some new fittings as well in the near future. I recently aquired a thrid 10 gallon keg that will replace my cooler MLT. I have to build a new sparge arm and maybe a recirc. arm as well to fit the new vessel. I have also added a pump to my set up that I am still just figuring out how to use and building in my limited spare time these days.

Hey Anthon,

Thanks for the information about the HCF. I think I'll just leave it off and try and get used to what an IBU figure generated by the spreadsheet tastes like in a given recipe. With hop schedules I can see that there is a fair bit to balance - two of the three main things (bitterness, flavour and aroma) are not captured in the number anyway.

P.S. I was just curious about the yeast that comes with the craft series kits. What weight is it? Anything distinguishable about it? etc..etc.?

I was wondering that myself, but couldn't find any information or little giveaways. All I could see on the dried yeast packet was a date (in number of days then year format) and the weight (5g).

OG was 1062, FG is 1004. Ouch

Recipe: RyeSon

Style: Saison

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.060 SG

Estimated Color: 16.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 30.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

---------

4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Briess) (7.3 EBC)

0.50 kg Special Roast (Briess) (98.5 EBC

0.50 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC)

10.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Boil 10

10.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Boil 15

10.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Steep

10.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Steep

Belle Saison yeasties.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Squire's Bitter

21 litres

3.8 kg Golden Promise

50 g Chocolate Malt

40g Fuggles @ 60 mins

30g EKG @ 20 mins

20g Styrian @ 1min

1/2 Whirfloc @ 10 mins

Windsor

Mash at 68 Celsius for 45 mins

Batch sparge (Denny Conn's) with 22 litres at 90 Celsius in three steps.

Cheers

Scottie

Squire's Bitter

21 litres

3.8 kg Golden Promise

50 g Chocolate Malt

40g Fuggles @ 60 mins

30g EKG @ 20 mins

20g Styrian @ 1min

1/2 Whirfloc @ 10 mins

Windsor

Mash at 68 Celsius for 45 mins

Batch sparge (Denny Conn's) with 22 litres at 90 Celsius in three steps.

Cheers

Scottie

Looks like a nice recipe' date=' Scottie.

I'm not familiar with Denny's method of sparging though.[img']unsure[/img] What's it all about? why sparge at 90C?w00t That's hot, mate!

Archived