Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Hi Hairy.

Super looking recipe there Hairy from where I sit! w00t

Having used Falconer's Flight before' date=' along with each of the other hops mentioned, the recipe looks really, really good. [img']cool[/img] I like your aggressive approach to the dry hop too.

Questions...

Are you using the one pkt of US-05? 1.063 OG sounds like quite a bit for one pkt to chew through. unsure

What method are you using for the dry hop? Commando-style, hop balls, or something else?

Our favourite Canuck's 'Big Island IPA' recipe may have a new challenger! (In my eyes) wink

Good luck with the brew Hairy, it sounds wicked! cool

Anthony.

Thanks Lusty.

.I have two packets of US-05 ready for this one wink

The last time I made this I used three of those tennis ball sized tea strainer balls for 100g of hops. I will probably go with a few stockings for this one; I haven't decided yet.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mk I was very nice. Let me know how your one turns out.

I will mate' date=' I'll even post you a bottle if you like.

This is how it will go.

Recipe: Red n Hairy

Brewer: Ben 10

Asst Brewer: Hairy

Style: American IPA

--------------------------

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 24.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 66.9 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

5.30 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)

15.00 g Citra [13.50 %'] - First Wort 60.0 min

15.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Boil

20.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Steep

20.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Steep

20.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Steep

20.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll probably use WLP029. Really like that yeast, and I have it here. That or WLP009.

I will probably go with a few stockings for this one; I haven't decided yet.

Let's hope your missus hasn't done a recent count of her stocking drawer! biggrin

Right this minute I'm drinking a version of Chad's oaked IPA, but brewing-wise am moving towards lighter malted ales given we're heading into warmer times of the year.

Hairy & Ben, I hope you will both update us on your versions of this brew.

Pro quality stuff (IMHO).

Anthony.

Hairy & Ben' date=' I hope you will both update us on your versions of this brew.

Pro quality stuff (IMHO).

Anthony.[/quote']

lol

Not quite. I just soak grains in water, boil liquid and make beer. Nothing fancy.

Ben, what is Experimental Grapefruit and Experimental Pine Fruit? They sound, um, I don't know .... experimental.

Pro quality stuff (IMHO). lol

Not quite. I just soak grains in water' date=' boil liquid and make beer. Nothing fancy.[/quote']

Pro quality beer doesn't need to have all the pro quality equipment to make it. Just the recipe, the passion, the drive, the method, & suitable equipment. I have always respected your humble position since joining the forum. cool

You'd make a 'shite' salesman though Hairy! tongue

As James Brayshaw would say, "Get around him!!" lol

biggrin

That recipe is gonna make a wicked beer.

Anthony.

Ben' date=' what is Experimental Grapefruit and Experimental Pine Fruit? They sound, um, I don't know .... experimental. [/quote']

They are from Yakima Valley.

I brewed, yesterday, a saison with those hops and f.me if it wasn't the fruitiest salad of a wort I have ever smelt. Almost felt bad tipping a rehydrated Belle Saison into that this morning.

Brew Day!!

I've got variation of the good Dr. Smurto GA in the last stages of the boil as I type.

Gold Nugget Ale

3.2Kg ESB malt

2.0Kg Munich 10L

1.2Kg Pale malt

12g Nugget 14.5% (60mins)

60g Amarillo 8.7% (0mins)

50g Amarillo Dry hop

42L

Notto

Mashed @ 66' OG1.046 IBU 30ish 4.5%ABV 80% efficiency.

This will be the last brews for the wedding brews that I'm brewing for a friends big day. With only 3 weeks left before the big day it's none too earlycrying.

You'd make a ‘shite’ salesman though Hairy!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lusty. I have been thinking of going into this field because I have a lot of shite to sell innocent

This will be the last brews for the wedding brews that I'm brewing for a friends big day. With only 3 weeks left before the big day it's none too early

You are pushing it but you should be fine. I don't know why but I have found that AG beers come to hand much quicker than kit/extract beers. For most of them, once they are carbed they are good to go.

Hey Hairy,

Kegging an AG brew really speeds things up. If I throw the yeast at it tomorrow I should come in right on time.rolleyes

I'm still looking for consistency with my efficiency. It's somewhere in between 80-85%. As soon as I find it I'll be changing my set up again. I've acquired a third 58L keg that I plan to replace my cooler MLT. This step should mess me up again.biggrin Oh well, You never stop learning at this hobby.

BTW, the Golden Nugget Ale is in the cubes now and I ended up with a OG of 1.048. I was looking for 1.044. smile

Hi guys.

Earlier today I kegged & force carbed my brew from a recipe I posted earlier in this thread. Bottled 3 Coopers longnecks as well.

The Recipe

I got lazy & allowed the brew to condition for an extra week, & had it cold condition in my fridge for a good 5-6 days before I transferred it to the keg & bottled the remainder. It was very clear of sediment as you can imagine, & the FV sample tasted very fruity & lively as I was hoping for considering I was using 2 new hops I've never used before.

After force carbing the keg initially, I've now got the keg attached at pouring pressure & will try to sneak a glass on Sunday to see how it's coming together. It certainly appears to be a promising mix of hops given the chilled FV sample I tasted before kegging/bottling.

If it's anything worth a further mention I'll ad-lib a little further. wink

I've got a nice Amarillo/Ahtanum brew planned for this coming brewday Sunday, & will post that on the day.

Happy times ahead. happy

Cheers,

Anthony.

Brew day! happy

Spring has sprung, so why not something fruity & floral.

AA Pale Ale:

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

Barrett Burston Pale Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 100gms

Dark Wheat Malt grain (13-14EBC) 250gms

CaraHell grain 150gms

Dextrose 150gms

Amarillo 20gms @ 60mins

Ahtanum 20gms @ 20mins

Amarillo 10gms @ 5mins

Ahtanum 10gms @ 5mins

Ahtanum 20gms @ flameout

Amarillo 15gms dry hopped

OG = approx. 1.044

FG = approx. 1.011

EBC = 10.3

IBU = 25.9

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.7%

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast

Ferment @ 18°C

Brewed to 23 litres

That should make a nice pleasant one to kick off the start of the warmer weather. happy

BTW the "AA" does not stand for 'Alcoholics Anonymous'. biggrin It stands for Amarillo/Ahtanum. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

G'day Brewers, I made up a Hop Slam IPA UK, the recipe came out just after I had a similar idea, but I used Fuggles and East Kent Golding hops, so I just had to give this one a go.

I was very happy with the results I got, some how I think I'll be very happy with this one too, thank's PB2 wink

Oh, just wanted to also say I put on a APA Fruit Salad Ale the other day and used re-cultured Coopers commercial yeast, went off like a bomb. happy

This is becoming my most brewed beer, with slight variations and always a lovely beer, IMHO.happy

Cheers.

Hi guys,

Not a brew day as such here today, just a bottling-and-putting-new-batch-in-fermenter day.

Finally got the lager bottled which means onto ales for the next 9 or 10 months, should get the stocks up hopefully.

Anyway the new brew that went in was the third batch of my Ace of Spades Porter. I went back to the original recipe on this one (minus 1kg base malt). The second batch I used a heap of Willamette for bitterness just to get rid of it, and a different yeast, but the beer wasn't as nice as the original version, which is as follows:

5.00 kg Maris Otter

0.35 kg Black (Patent) Malt

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt Medium

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt

0.10 kg Roasted Barley

45.00 g Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min

30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

1.0 pkg That Damn S-04 Yeast!!

Got 26 litres out of it with an OG of 1048, so should end up with a nice brew about 5.5% ABV bottled by the end of it.

Cheers

Kelsey

Tomorrow's brew.

Recipe: RyeSon

Style: Saison

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.060 SG

Estimated Color: 16.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 30.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

---------

4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Briess) (7.3 EBC)

0.50 kg Special Roast (Briess) (98.5 EBC

0.50 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC)

10.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Boil 10

10.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Boil 15

10.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Steep

10.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Steep

Belle Saison yeasties.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ben.

As always, your brew recipes make for interesting reading. cool

On a number of levels, I'm really interested to hear how this one ends up.

I would certainly enjoy reading any further posts you might make about this brew once it's suitably carbed & drinking well. smile

Cheers,

Anthony.

On a number of levels' date=' I'm really interested to hear how this one ends up.

[/quote']

Thanks, the recipe is the same as WhySon but the wheat was changed for Rye. The hops are interesting, I just had a hydro sample of Red n Hairy and my wife and I both think the experimental Pine Fruit should be renamed to maybe SkunkFruit.

A pre bottle taste of the WhySon had minimal funk considering the Belle Saison was ambient fermented and it wasn't too warm I am pleased with the results.

Brewing this one tonight.

Quick Draught

1.7kg OS Draught

1.5kg Coopers Light LME

300g Dextrose

200g Crystal

10g Chinook @ 20 min

10g Citra @ 20 min

20g Chinook & 20g Citra - dry hop

14g Coopers Yeast (sachets)

23lt brew

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Brew day was yesterday, but here's what I've done:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale with 1kg of my LHBS's "Ultra Mix" which is somewhat similar to BE2.

Steeped 15g cascade hop bag - was meant to be 10 mins, but time got away and it turned into about 25 - 30 mins.

filled to 23 litres.

pitched at 24c, using the yeast that came with the can, no complaints so far, so sticking with what I know works.

OG was 1039.

Will be adding a dry hop of 15g Cascade on day 3 - tomorrow.

This is supposed to turn out similar to LCPA, but either way it should be a good brew.

Meanwhile I have a Coopers Heritage Lager and European Lager bottled and ageing, so I'll do another batch as soon as I can to allow time for the Lagers to reach their potential, and drink the Pale Ale whilst I wait; running low on stock, and don't want to drink what could be my best beer before it reaches its potential.

Currently finishing off a 3 month old hopped Euro Lager, and the Morgan's Golden Saaz Pilsener; not as bad as I first thought, but needs extra time in the fridge to settle.

I practically dry steep or both with every batch now, and feel like it's adding a hop signature of my own to each batch.

I'm sure if I did a batch without extra hops it would just taste too sweet to me, so I'm on my way to IPA territory!

Brew day!

A simple, malty Special/Best Bitter.

1.045 SG 35IBU 66-67c mash

4kg BB Ale

250g Victory Malt

400g of various caramel/crystal malts which I haven't decided on yet. Probably heavy on the Caraaroma love

200g White Sugar

25g Challenger FWH

50g Challenger @ F/O

The usual whirlfloc and yeast nutrient @ 10mins

I haven't used Caraaroma for ages, and I can't think why. It's one of my fave speccy malts for sure.

The white sugar is there to give me a wicked dry beer at the end, which I will need with all that crystal gumming up the works. I've said it before, but many home brewed and craft beers I've tried which are heavy on the crystal could very much benefit from the brewer getting over the fear of simple sugar.

Looking forward to this one. cool

Brew day!

A simple' date=' malty Special/Best Bitter.

1.045 SG 35IBU 66-67c mash

4kg BB Ale

250g Victory Malt

400g of various caramel/crystal malts which I haven't decided on yet. Probably heavy on the Caraaroma [img']love[/img]

200g White Sugar

25g Challenger FWH

50g Challenger @ F/O

The usual whirlfloc and yeast nutrient @ 10mins

I haven't used Caraaroma for ages, and I can't think why. It's one of my fave speccy malts for sure.

The white sugar is there to give me a wicked dry beer at the end, which I will need with all that crystal gumming up the works. I've said it before, but many home brewed and craft beers I've tried which are heavy on the crystal could very much benefit from the brewer getting over the fear of simple sugar.

Looking forward to this one. cool

That looks like a great brew, Phil!cool This is my favouite style as of late.

Very simple hop additions. I like the FWH . A nice malt bill l. I`m really digging Victory malt these days.

I hear ya about the simple sugar helping to dry the beer out a bit. It`s a good idea to get the caramel flavour out of the Crystal malt without the added sweetness and body.

Hi Philbo.

400gms of Crystal hmm. A big move & step in trust there Philbo? Would I be right in suggesting that is possibly double as much as you've used in a recipe before?

Despite your cool demeanor, I reckon you're still a bit nervous on that one! Hehe! tongue

Yeah Victory is great. Between that and Munich I can get away with using cheap-arse base malt and get enough depth of malt flavour for the style.

Given your liking for Belgian styles' date=' then you'd love Aromatic Malt for this purpose. If you haven't already, you should give it a try.

I did some batches with it last year using it predominantly in some experimental pale ale recipes with very pleasing results. Strangely enough, I used about 300gms of it in that modified Mike Mraz Pale Ale I gave you last year among that mixed 6 pack. [img']wink[/img]

I liked it enough that I'll be buying some more of it soon to revisit a few of those recipes from last year, & to do a little more experimenting with it.

Cheers & enjoy your brew day today. smile

Anthony.

Archived