Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

So when considering gravity and bitterness' date=' how do simple sugars factor into the equation?

The reason I've started asking questions is that my Blager has a only a moderate OG and a lot of that is simple sugar, so if you start talking about malt balance then does the sugar pretty much count for nothing?[/quote']

Yes. I would say simple sugars contribute nothing to the balance of the brew.

That isn't entirely true. Simple sugars can aid you in increasing OG but maintaining a similar FG. This may actually aid you (if used correctly) if you require that to balance the beer.

You know IanH's spreadsheet right Hairy? If you were trying to strike a balance using the graph on that and you had a lot of simple sugars in your recipe pushing up the OG do you think that would give a false result? It sounds to me like the truth is somewhere in between including and excluding sugar when doing it this way

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I qualified my post by using the phrase "when used properly" and I think this is really important. Throwing too much simple sugar at your beer can result in thin a cidery beer.

But I think the only reason you would use simple sugar is because of the style (eg. Belgians) or to help balance the beer.

That isn't entirely true. Simple sugars can aid you in increasing OG but maintaining a similar FG. This may actually aid you (if used correctly) if you require that to balance the beer.

I'm not just looking to boost the OG for ABV sake. I am trying to sort out the balance between bitterness and malt sweetness. Do you think a shot of DME (500g) will do the trick?

I wonder if it was the Pilsner malt that didnt convert like I was expecting it to.

Do you think there is any merit to this?

I'm not just looking to boost the OG for ABV sake. I am trying to sort out the balance between bitterness and malt sweetness. Do you think a shot of DME (500g) will do the trick?

I wonder if it was the Pilsner malt that didnt convert like I was expecting it to.

Do you think there is any merit to this?

Sorry Chad, my comments weren't made in relation to your beer, they were general comments about using sugar to balance a beer.

In your case I would go with the DME.

I can't really comment on the low brewhouse efficiency apart from checking the grain crush and perhaps doing a mash out. Using pilsner malt shouldn't affect your estimated OG. Each grain has its own potential yield but I presume this is taken into account in the brewing software you use.

So it is probably equipment or technique. I am sure you will master it in time with more brews on the big rig. I think the most important part is consistency. I currently have a brewhouse efficiency of 70% and I am not looking to improve it. I would rather add a little extra grain and hit my targets each time then have a fluctuating efficiency.

Are you getting the estimated volume of wort at the end?

Yesterday put down brew #6 - an English style pale ale ...

Well that took off like a rocket! I set the temp controller set to 21C to get some nice fruity flavours in there and my gravity reading last night showed it down to 1.013 already. I've never tried rehydrating dry yeast for brewing before (only for baking) but it seems to have done the trick! Sample tastes good already' date=' nice solid bitterness and the distinctive hop flavour / aroma I was after.

I reckon this is my last kit-based batch for a while (unless the I get too tempted by the ROTM packs). I've been reading the 'Brewing Classic Styles' book and I think I'll give some smaller extract batches a go. Fingers crossed my LHBS hasn't closed down, last time I was there I saw a 'For Sale' sign in the window [img']sad[/img]

Sorry Chad' date=' my comments weren't made in relation to your beer, they were general comments about using sugar to balance a beer.

In your case I would go with the DME.

I can't really comment on the low brewhouse efficiency apart from checking the grain crush and perhaps doing a mash out. Using pilsner malt shouldn't affect your estimated OG. Each grain has its own potential yield but I presume this is taken into account in the brewing software you use.

So it is probably equipment or technique. I am sure you will master it in time with more brews on the big rig. I think the most important part is consistency. I currently have a brewhouse efficiency of 70% and I am not looking to improve it. I would rather add a little extra grain and hit my targets each time then have a fluctuating efficiency.

Are you getting the estimated volume of wort at the end?[/quote']

Thanks Hairy for the feedbackcool! I'm going with 500g DME /1L boiled water. This should give me another 4 points SG which will be right at my target OG.

My volumes haven't been consistent either with the new rig. Just lately I think I've dial my boil off rate at 8%/hour.

BTW, you can do better than 70%.smile

BTW' date=' you can do better than 70%.[img']smile[/img]

Hey Guys

It seems to me that my efficiency increases as my percentage of Maris Otter and Munich increases unsure

2kg MO (0.75kg Munich) = 68.8%

2.8kg MO (0.70kg Munich, 0.25kg Amber) = 69.1%

3kg MO (1.15kg Munich= 71.3%

Who knows its only a small sampling?

Cheers

Scottie

Good morning all,

I’m doing a LC Rogers clone from my LHBS tonight.

Red Rogers

1.7kg Morgans Royal Oak Amber

500g Light Dry Malt

200g CaraRed

50g Roasted Barley

20g Amarillo (20 minute steep)

15g Cascade (day 4 dry hop)

S-04 Yeast

21 litre brew

Estimates: OG 1036 / FG 1009 / IBU 41.6 / EBU 33.8

I know the IBU is high for a Rogers clone but the majority of that is due to the tin (the original is only 24 IBU). The originally recipe said to boil/steep both the hops but I’ve changed this around to try and bring the bitterness down. Besides, the hops are left overs in my freezer and I want to use them up.

Cheers + beers,

Mark.

I'm going to make this tomorrow.

Recipe: WhySon

Style: Saison

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Post Boil Volume: 25.04 l

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG

Estimated Color: 15.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 29.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

1.00 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC)

0.50 kg Special Roast (Briess) (98.5 EBC)

0.50 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC)

10.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop

10.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Boil Hop

10.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Boil Hop

10.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Steep Hop

10.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Steep Hop

Belle Saison yeast

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having never been proper MTBing I have no idea what sort of achievement that is

Not much, more a plod with the missus and the dog. Going out again in the morning.

Back on topic and taste of the 1062 wort out of the sample tube was AMAZING. Oh so fruity.

Another one. Same deal, water on, go for a ride, mill grains, MASH IN!

Recipe: Don't Mention the War

Style: American Wheat

--------------------------

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG

Estimated Color: 11.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.3 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

2.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

2.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC)

15.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

15.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

15.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red IPA Mk II

Pretty much the same as Mk I but I upped the dry hopping.

5.3kg BB Ale malt

1kg Munich I

250g Caraaroma

20g Magnum (AA 14.7%) @ 60 minutes

30g Falconers Flight (AA 10.8%) @ 5 minutes

30g Falconers Flight @ whirlpool

20g Centennial (AA 10%) @ whirlpool

40g Falconers Flight - dry hop

40g Centennial - dry hop

40g Amarillo - dry hop

23 litres

US-05 yeast

OG 1063

IBU 64 (no chill)

Hi Hairy.

Red IPA Mk II

Pretty much the same as Mk I but I upped the dry hopping.

5.3kg BB Ale malt

1kg Munich I

250g Caraaroma

20g Magnum (AA 14.7%) @ 60 minutes

30g Falconers Flight (AA 10.8%) @ 5 minutes

30g Falconers Flight @ whirlpool

20g Centennial (AA 10%) @ whirlpool

40g Falconers Flight - dry hop

40g Centennial - dry hop

40g Amarillo - dry hop

23 litres

US-05 yeast

OG 1063

IBU 64 (no chill)

Super looking recipe there Hairy from where I sit! w00t

Having used Falconer's Flight before' date=' along with each of the other hops mentioned, the recipe looks really, really good. [img']cool[/img] I like your aggressive approach to the dry hop too.

Questions...

Are you using the one pkt of US-05? 1.063 OG sounds like quite a bit for one pkt to chew through. unsure

What method are you using for the dry hop? Commando-style, hop balls, or something else?

Our favourite Canuck's 'Big Island IPA' recipe may have a new challenger! (In my eyes) wink

Good luck with the brew Hairy, it sounds wicked! cool

Anthony.

Red IPA Mk II

Hmm' date=' I need to make another beer tomorrow and I have all the grain for that. I might give it a poke if it pleases Sir Hairy?[/quote']

Go for it Mr 10 w00t

Mk I was very nice. Let me know how your one turns out.

Archived