Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Hi Philbo.

Damn Lusty' date=' you love your crystal! Although with the IBUs in the 50s it probably works.[/quote']

...and it loves me! biggrin

What can I say, I've got a sweet tooth. wink

At that IBU level it does work well.

Enjoy your brew day! smile

Cheers,

Anthony.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a Dr Smurto's Landlord clone for me today.

4.5kg Golden Promise

170g Dark Crystal

40g Fuggles @ 60 minutes

10g EKG @ 20 minutes

10g EKG @ 10 minutes

20g Styrian Goldings @ 0 minutes

20g Styrian Goldings @ whirlpool

Mashed at 65C

Yeast: MJ Burton Union Yeast

23 litres

I will be happy if it comes out half as good as the original.

It was a Dr Smurto's Landlord clone for me today.

4.5kg Golden Promise

170g Dark Crystal

40g Fuggles @ 60 minutes

10g EKG @ 20 minutes

10g EKG @ 10 minutes

20g Styrian Goldings @ 0 minutes

20g Styrian Goldings @ whirlpool

Mashed at 65C

Yeast: MJ Burton Union Yeast

23 litres

Yuumy yum yum. I don't know what to expect yet with mine but I'll get to have a taste in 10 days:) In post #769' date=' my recipe was:

Today was the day. My first 3V all grain with the new setup. Thanks to MHB, I did a clone of Timothy Taylor's Landlord Pale Ale. Surprisingly for my first brew, I hit all the numbers and temps exactly (and I'm sure that will be the last time too). But it was probably the simplest recipe I've ever seen.

For a knockout of 40 litres it was merely:

Marris Otter 8.0 kg

Black Patent 50 grams

EKG 95g @90 min

Styrian Golding 65g @90 min

Styrian Golding 40g @10 min

3 X M44

I'm not sure what the difference will be with Marris Otter vs Golden Promise, and you've also got Fuggles in yours. Now I'll have to try your recipe too, Hairy. You're a nasty man making me do that! biggrin I also suppose I should find a Dr Dan's store and see what the real deal tastes like!

Cheers

Phil

What can I say' date=' I've got a sweet tooth. [img']wink[/img]

At that IBU level it does work well.

Enjoy your brew day! smile

Cheers,

Anthony.

Yep, I sure did enjoy my brew day. And going back over some of my ESB & mild recipes, I have used that much crystal and more.

Apologies.

I'm not sure what the difference will be with Marris Otter vs Golden Promise' date=' and you've also got Fuggles in yours. Now I'll have to try your recipe too, Hairy. You're a nasty man making me do that! [img']biggrin[/img] I also suppose I should find a Dr Dan's store and see what the real deal tastes like!

Cheers

Phil

I have used Golden Promise a few times but generally use MO in most of my English (and non-English) beers. I love Marris Otter love

I have found Golden Promise to be a little sweeter than MO and not as biscuity.

I have also used Perle malt a couple of times and I think it sits somewhere between GP and MO. It is a great tasting malt and I think it would be a perfect malt for APAs and IPAs.

You're a nasty man

It must be true; Philbo keeps telling me that.

From my end' date=' "Nasty", NO. Highly attentive, YES. [img']tongue[/img]

Great knowledge, & from every post I've read, expectantly not a bad brewer on top of that. coolwink

P.S. The only thing that even comes remotely close to being "nasty" is the fact that you haven't yet brewed (to my knowledge) Chad's 'Big Island IPA' recipe! tongue

Personally, I think it's fear.... Hehe! biggrin

P.S. Philbo, I have no idea why you apologized. I'm comfortable in the levels of specialty grains I use from brew to brew, & honestly took no offence to anything you said in that post. That said though, you can always come down to my work & "apologize" with a longneck of one of your homebrews in hand! I'll take it as a peace offering. Hehe! wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

You sure will. Timothy Taylor's Landlord is by far one of the best beers you can get at Dan's. Really sessionable too.devil

I just tried a bottle of TT's Landlord for the first time a week or so ago. I must say it was a fine drop. I've got all the ingredients on hand including WLP Burton ale yeast to make something like it. I'll have to give it soon.

No brew day for me this weekend as I'm low on propane and it's just too nice out to be spending the day in the brewery.

I should be brewing, though. I just agreed to brew the beer for a friend's wedding! I'm planning to brew 4 kegs worth. 2 APAs, 1 American Brown ale and an IPA. The wedding date is Sept. 13 so I have my work cut out for me in the next few weekends. Thank the gods for my 10 gallon set up!

Wish me luck, boys!biggrin

No brew day for me this weekend as I'm low on propane and it's just too nice out to be spending the day in the brewery.

I should be brewing' date=' though. I just agreed to brew the beer for a friend's wedding! I'm planning to brew 4 kegs worth. 2 APAs, 1 American Brown ale and an IPA. The wedding date is Sept. 13 so I have my work cut out for me in the next few weekends. Thank the gods for my 10 gallon set up!

Wish me luck, boys![img']biggrin[/img]

Good luck Chad!

It isn't really the brewing part that is the issue; it is the pressure to deliver high quality beer for the wedding and not ruin their big day. I didn't mean to add any more pressure on you biggrin

Yesterday was a glorious day in Sydney; it is the middle of winter and it was a warm, sunny 21 degrees. A perfect day to knock out a beer in the morning and then go for a bike ride with the kids after lunch.

Philbo' date=' I have no idea why you apologized. I'm comfortable in the levels of specialty grains I use from brew to brew, & honestly took no offence to anything you said in that post. That said though, you can always come down to my work & “apologize” with a longneck of one of your homebrews in hand! I'll take it as a peace offering. Hehe![/quote']

Perhaps you and Philbo should go for a night out and make up over a few beers.

This event seems right up your alley:

Adelaide Night Out

Good luck Chad!

It isn't really the brewing part that is the issue; it is the pressure to deliver high quality beer for the wedding and not ruin their big day. I didn't mean to add any more pressure on you biggrin

Yea' date=' your right there Hairy. I had the couple over to my place last week and gave them the brewery tour and they sampled what I had on tap at the time. They where very impressed with all of it. They are very nice people and they made me feel very good about what I'm doing and the knowledge I have a gained over the years of my brewing career. They are going to have there own two tap kegerator set up. I just need to get brewing so it is ready in time.

Yesterday was a glorious day in Sydney; it is the middle of winter and it was a warm, sunny 21 degrees. A perfect day to knock out a beer in the morning and then go for a bike ride with the kids after lunch.

That's usually what I do after a brew day. I love riding with my boys!love

Adelaide Night Out

Interesting idea Hairy! lol

I have heard though that if you're not well versed in that lifestyle' date=' it can be a little HARD to get into the SWING of things. [img']wink[/img] biggrin

Out of curiosity, what were you surfing the net for when you came across that? biggrin

P.S. Good luck with getting all that beer ready for the wedding Chad. That's a lot of different beers to be ready in such a short time.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Purchased my second Coopers Euro Lager can today.

I also got a bag of the LHBS's Ultra pack brewing sugar (500g Malt' date=' 250 Dextrose, 250 Maltodextrin), some Saflager S23 and a 15g hop bag of Hallertau.

The difference with this batch to my first batch of Euro Lager is the yeast and the hops; last time I just used the yeast that came with the can, and I went with Cascade and Centennial, as I had 2 x 50g jars of them sitting in the fridge.

It's not exactly brew day today, but I'll be putting it all together in the next few days, about the same time as I bottle my first batch of Heritage Lager.

Having tasted the Euro Lager it's a pretty good drop, and I'm sure my minor changes (with the assistance of Dave from my LHBS) will only make this batch better.[/quote']

So I put my Euro Lager together on Friday, and bottled my Heritage Lager yesterday.

I steeped the Hallertau for about 15 mins in a sterilized plunger, then added it to my brew once I'd mixed it, and threw the bag in for good measure.

I pitched at 24c, let it cool down naturally over the W/E, and popped it in my water bath with ice last night, keeping it at about 16c, which it had already dropped to.

I'll probably get it down to about 12c, and let it stay as close to that as I can manage for about the next 3 weeks, let if warm up for a day or two, then transfer it to my clearing vessel for a week or so prior to bottling.

The Heritage Lager looked nice and clear so it should turn out well once it's conditioned and aged for a couple of months (if I can be that patient).

The plan of course is to have enough batches so that I can keep ageing my brew prior to drinking; I still have a couple of bottles of my Aussie Blonde, and most of my batch of Golden Saaz Pilsener to keep me going until I really get into my first batch of Euro Lager (which has been in the bottle for a bit over 2 months now, so with luck and time I should have enough Lagers to keep me going until it's time to switch back to ales).

That said, I'll probably do a batch of ale pretty soon after I bottle the current batch of Euro Lager, unless the weather's still cool enough to do one last batch of Lager of the season.

Adelaide Night Out

Interesting idea Hairy! lol

I have heard though that if you're not well versed in that lifestyle' date=' it can be a little HARD to get into the SWING of things. [img']wink[/img] biggrin

Out of curiosity, what were you surfing the net for when you came across that? biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

I just typed "Beerlust/Anthony and Adelaide Night Out" into Google and that was the first response innocent

I just typed "Beerlust/Anthony and Adelaide Night Out" into Google and that was the first response innocent

Touche` lol

They actually spoke with the publican of that hotel about that planned night on local radio over here this morning! No joke!

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey gang

What do you know? I too put done an English style IPA on the weekend. Mine was unintentional' date=' though. I was going for a ESB but would seem that I slipped a extra Kg of base malt into the mill which took my expected OG from 1.054 to 1.061. Luckily I use a refractometer to check my pre-boil volumes and was able adjust my hop addition to balance the extra malt.

The brew was:

4.0kg ESB Malt

5.0 pale malt

.75 victory malt

.5 crystal 60

30g fuggles FWH

29g nugget 60'

15g fuggles 45'

12g fuggles, cascade and hallertau 0'

42L

WLP005/notto[/quote']

Hey Gang,

I'm drinking the Notto version now that I dry hopped with 30G of Styrian Goldings for four days.

This is a really nice, well balanced IPA. It has a lot going on in one pint. It's got that full, malty/ bready flavour of the ESB malt and Victory malt combined with the nice varied spectrum of the late hops. In there we have some nice herbal/earthy flavours of the Fuggles. The Hallertau lends the floral aromas and flavour with the Cascade give it the fruitiness to round it out.

The Styrian Goldings must be giving it the intense floral aromas. I'm not sure since this is the first time I've use it.unsure The Nugget is also new for me, but I'd say it preforms quite well.

The Notto yeast has dried it out considerably and has made it seem a bit easier drinking than it really is. @ an OG 0f 1.061 and a FG of 1.014 it's no small beer with an AVB of 6%. It makes me a tad sleepy after a days work and a few pints o' this un'smile

Awesome brew if I say so meself!bandit

Luckily I use a refractometer to check my pre-boil volumes and was able adjust my hop addition to balance the extra malt.

The brew was:

4.0kg ESB Malt

5.0 pale malt

.75 victory malt

.5 crystal 60

30g fuggles FWH

29g nugget 60'

15g fuggles 45'

12g fuggles' date=' cascade and hallertau 0'

42L

WLP005/notto

This is a really nice, well balanced IPA. It has a lot going on in one pint. It's got that full, malty/ bready flavour of the ESB malt and Victory malt combined with the nice varied spectrum of the late hops. In there we have some nice herbal/earthy flavours of the Fuggles. The Hallertau lends the floral aromas and flavour with the Cascade give it the fruitiness to round it out.

The Styrian Goldings must be giving it the intense floral aromas. I'm not sure since this is the first time I've use it.[img']unsure[/img] The Nugget is also new for me, but I'd say it preforms quite well.

The Notto yeast has dried it out considerably and has made it seem a bit easier drinking than it really is. @ an OG 0f 1.061 and a FG of 1.014 it's no small beer with an AVB of 6%. It makes me a tad sleepy after a days work and a few pints o' this un'smile

Awesome brew if I say so meself!bandit

Hi Can Can man

So the recipe above is the one after you adjusted for the extra kilo of malt or before? With a recommendation like that I'd like to attempt to emulate your "mistake" and I wasn't quite sure.

Secondly, I'd like to offer you the opportunity of enjoying an experience that you will never forget. I imagine this will work very well at this time of the year in your neck of the woods, especially with a 6% ABV beer. The rules are these:

1. Find a nice outside comfortable chair or lounge.

2. Remove your shirt and don't put on any sunscreen or hat etc.

3. Sit in full sun starting about 10 am, and take lots of beer with you.

4. Drink so much IPA that you feel drowsy and eventually very tired and then fall asleep.

5. Wake up about 5 pm still in full sun and looking like a well cooked beetroot.

You'll notice that exquisite feeling of intense indescribable searing pain on every movement of your body for about the next 3 days; followed by shedding of lots of layers of skin for the next week or more, and perhaps blistering. You may even manage to see skin changes in about forty years time. Having done this in my youth many many many years ago, I can assure you that the experience will never be forgotten!

Cheers

Phil

Hi Skookum.

The brew was:

4.0kg ESB Malt

5.0 pale malt

.75 victory malt

.5 crystal 60

30g fuggles FWH

29g nugget 60'

15g fuggles 45'

12g fuggles' date=' cascade and hallertau 0'

42L

WLP005/notto

...The Styrian Goldings must be giving it the intense floral aromas. I'm not sure since this is the first time I've use it.[img']unsure[/img] The Nugget is also new for me, but I'd say it preforms quite well.

Congrats on the brew! It sounds really nice. Just out of curiosity, where did you sneak the Styrian Goldings in, as I can't see any mention of it in your recipe listing. unsure

It makes me a tad sleepy after a days work and a few pints o' this un'smile

lol I'm hearin' ya on that one! I bought a few commercial brews with some high ABV's last week that had the same affect on me! I thought' date=' I'll just put my head down for a few mins watching the TV...next thing I know, I wake up @ 3.00am still on the couch! [img']pinched[/img] lol

Is that one of the beers you've brewed for the wedding?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Update on the Strong Ale:

SG at 1017

Tx'd slowly to port keg (so slowly that I felt like I missed a birthday). rolleyes

Added 1tbspn of sugar dissolved in 100ml boiling water, just to give a little CO2 action - bit like what Coopers used to do when transferring to puncheons.

With the hope of minimising oxidation I thought it best to limit the amount of ullage. So I topped with my most recent Chimay Red brew (didn't have any wort handy). Not sure if the addition of fizz or the extra sugar caused the issue but I've been mopping up foam out of the bung-hole for several hours. pinched

Activity is slowing and hopefully it will settle down so I can bung it soon unsure

The mopped up foam carries particularly overt "PORT" aromas so I'm wondering whether I should have given the the keg a couple of extra rinses with hot water??

What could possibly go wrong...

Recipe: Jarrylo Pale Ale

I wasn't going to but I have dry hopped this one today, 25 g Jarrylo went in. This was fermented with WLP029, the other pale I made that day used WLP009. Both finished in 7 days, the WLP009 tastes a lot like a Coopers brew, what a nice yeast.

Archived