Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Benny' date='

What is the yeast? Why the Pilsner malt? .[/quote']

Yeast will be a cup of slurry MJ's Burton Union from an English Bitter.

And the Pilsner because I have it - run out of all other base malts until I get 5 bags next week.

And Lusty I have 3 FVs going at most.

Brew on!

Making my first Big Island IPA today smile I've upped it to 23L (because that's what I do) so there's a few adjustments from Chad's original. Here's what I've got:

1.7kg Coopers OS Real Ale

1.5kg amber LME (+1kg from original)

500g light DME (-600g from original)

150g medium (I think) crystal

30g oak chips

25g cascade @30 (+5g from original)

20g nelson @10

10g cascade dry

10g nelson dry

10g amarillo dry

23L (+2L from original)

US-05

Hey Ruddy,

Are you drinking the Big Island IPA yet? How's it coming along?

Hi Ben10.

...And Lusty I have 3 FVs going at most.

Brew on!

Sorry' date=' in the schematic I got YOUR reality confused with MY dream! [img']lol[/img]

If you find it offensive, I'll gladly edit the post, as it was not my intention to offend. innocent

...anyways, I'd happily have 8 FV's on the go if one, I had the time to brew that many, & two, I could afford to! wink

As you said, "Brew On!"

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks ICzed for the suggestion on the speadsheet I will have a look at that.. I have 3 fermenters sitting idle at the moment 2 x 30 liters and 1 x 80 liters.. I have seen the Russian imperial stout recipe and it is on my todo list and with 300 stubbies in the larger perhaps now is a good time to give it a go .. was worried about the 'volcanic' ferment but I have a simple solution where I run a hose from the airlock into a jug of water .. worked a treat for my toucan which was rather active ..

Today I am going to brew the "Hop Slam IPA - UK" but with the addition of 250 gms CaraHell and dry hopping/ Day 5 of the 2nd Bramling Cross hop addition.

Ingredients

1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA

1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt

2 x 25g Bramling Cross hop pellets

250 Grams CaraHell

11g Nottingham Ale yeast and the Kit Yeast.

Method:

Steep grain in hot water for 30-40 mins, strain into another pot and boil for 15 mins.

LDM into FV, then strain steeped grain liquid into FV.

Stir until dissolved

Add the Thomas Coopers IPA and stir.

Top up with cold water to 21 litres. (Might do 22 litres)

Add Yeasts ( Kit Yeast and Nottingham) and 25 gms Bramling Cross (in a hop bag)

Ferment at 21 Degrees.

Add the other 25 gms Bramling Cross, dry Day 5 (in a hop bag)

I might even add the 1st hop addition to the boil for say 10 mins instead of dry hopping it day 1.

Cheers

Guzz

EDIT: After doing this brew, I ran into a small issue when straining into the FV which already had the LDM in it. Because it took a while to strain, the LDM clumped up big time and took some work to get it dissolved.

Hey Guzz

Great work, I reckon that is going to be a great beer.

Today I am Brewing a Mild Ale.

First time with my Grain Mill motor connected and running

First Time with my Crown Urn.

First time brewing outside.

First time with full volume sparge.

First time FWH.

The Aroma from the grain bill is very satisfying, I hope I don't stuff this one up.

Hoping for 26 litres.

2.8kg Maris Otter

0.7kg Munich Malt

250g Amber Malt

250g CaraMunich

150g Choc Malt

100g Carafa II

25g Willamette FWH

15g Willamette 15 mins

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

Just finishing the Sparge, its a balmy 13 degrees outside, hope I'm not here to midnight waiting for a rolling boil wink

Hey Guzz

Great work' date=' I reckon that is going to be a great beer.

Today I am Brewing a Mild Ale.

First time with my Grain Mill motor connected and running

First Time with my Crown Urn.

First time brewing outside.

First time with full volume sparge.

First time FWH.

The Aroma from the grain bill is very satisfying, I hope I don't stuff this one up.

Hoping for 26 litres.

2.8kg Maris Otter

0.7kg Munich Malt

250g Amber Malt

250g CaraMunich

150g Choc Malt

100g Carafa II

25g Willamette FWH

15g Willamette 15 mins

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

Just finishing the Sparge, its a balmy 13 degrees outside, hope I'm not here to midnight waiting for a rolling boil [img']wink[/img]

Looks good VB. Good luck with it.

What temp did you mash at?

That looks like a beauty, and the 150g of choc malt should add some lovely toasty flavours. Why is it I can sort of imagine the flavours of a recipe in front of me, but I can't make them up myself?

Even if you are up till after midnight, why don't you take tomorrow off.

And I'd love to hear later how you went after using the yeast.

Cheers from Philly, and play loud music so the neighbours know you're still hard at work.

Hey Hairy

Mashed at 68 degrees. This will also be my first time using a whirl floc properly, do you still whirlpool?

Hey Philster

Its just a matter of looking around at enough recipes and reading the BJCP guidelines.

Cheers

Scottie

Hey Hairy

Mashed at 68 degrees. This will also be my first time using a whirl floc properly' date=' do you still whirlpool?

Hey Philster

Its just a matter of looking around at enough recipes and reading the BJCP guidelines.

Cheers

Scottie[/quote']

That's a good temp for a mild. I use whirlfloc and whirlpool every time.

Mashed at 68 degrees. This will also be my first time using a whirl floc properly' date=' do you still whirlpool?

[/quote']

Hey Scottie - go the Urn, I ripped out two brews yesterday with mine, barely got in the way of family life too.

Whirlfloc - for me I have whirlpooled but I find it is just as easy to let things cool for a while in the urn and then drain into a jerry can.

I found yesterday if I slow the drain right down I can leave most of the shit behind in the urn and minimise losses.

Well Folks

That was fun. Feels like a real Brew Day eh!

I also used my brand new Plate Chiller, the Mash Master chill out.

What a joy, chilled 23 litres of boiling wort to 22 degrees in around 10 minutes.

Had few issues with the drive for my Grain Mill, either the coupling is not transferring enough power to the Mill or the battery charge was a bit low. Anyway I had to open the gap (on the first pass) and do a double crush.

As I said I only got 23 litres form the kettle which would have been fine for a normal brew but I am after a Mild so I topped up to 25 litres to give me 1.032. Pitched the yeast at 21 degrees.

Efficiency 70%.

edit: I added 1/2 Whirlfloc at 10 minutes and whirpooled the wort, left all the rubbish behind and I ran my Plate Chiller without a screen.

Cheers

Scottie

Hi Scottie.

Congrats on all the new brewing gear, & getting through the outdoors brew day! cool

I like your recipe but see potentially one small problem with it. That being the FWH addition.

I'm not sure what alpha level the Willamette is that you have used, but I feel the level of bitterness in the end beer is going to come up short. The sweetness you'll get from those specialty grains will magnify this as well.

You're probably using a brewing software program like "Beersmith" or something, where it calculates IBU numbers from FWH additions. From what I've read, something approaching an increase of approx. 10%+ above a normal 60 minute bittering addition is what is used to calculate the IBU number in these brewing software programs.

The IBU number it spits out may be correct based on the increased utilisation of the hop by the FWH technique, but how it presents in the end beer is VERY different.

I can't speak with complete accuracy as I haven't used Willamette solely as a FWH addition before, nor brewed your recipe with it. All I can do is offer advice based on my experiences with other hops & the levels I used with the technique.

The fact that it is a reasonably low OG brew may assist the balance of the final bitterness level, & it's not like I haven't been wrong before! whistling

I hate being the one putting any sort of dampener on what would have been a very satisfying brew day for you. sad

For the sake of your brew, I hope I am wrong on this one. unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

Bonjour Monsieur Ale d'amour

I know you're pretty up with hops, so this extract from the Encyclopedia of Brewing (p. 646) will make a hell of a lot more sense to you than I. In my defence, I do understand the alpha acid level bit, but then I'm lost. cool.

Willamette

Willamette is a triploid US aroma hop variety which derives from Fuggle. It was released in

1976 and rapidly became very popular and the most widely grown US aroma hop. It is resistant to downy mildew but susceptible to powdery mildew and verticillium wilt.

It contains 4.0–6.0% alpha-acids, of which 30.0–35.0% is cohumulone, and 3.5–4.5% beta-acids. Total oils are 1.0–1.5% (8.0–12.0% caryophyllene, 5.0–10.0% farnesene, 20.0–30.0% humulene, 20.0–30.0% myrcene).

Edit added 1:15 pm. Ahhh, I found the bugger. There's a neat table in Brewing: Science and Practice (pp. 268-9) by Briggs and others that shows the various components of certainly every hop I'm ever likely to hear about (and many more I won't) if anyone is interested. Bit of a slow download though. annoyedannoyed

I hate being the one putting any sort of dampener on what would have been a very satisfying brew day for you. sad

For the sake of your brew' date=' I hope I am wrong on this one. [img']unsure[/img]

The way I see it you do like to be the one who puts a damper on someones brew day by critiquing recipes without and real facts or experience. You've done it to me before and had me worried that I may have buggered up my recipe only to find that it worked out just fine and to what I was expecting.

I know this thread is about talking about our brew day experiences and such but it is a little bit difficult to hear criticism after you brew is down and there is nothing to be done about it except worry.annoyed

Willemette is a hops derived from fuggles which is a noble hops. At one time it was said that FWHing should only be done with a noble hop. We know now that that is hogwash. I'd say that for a Mild, Scottie's hop addition is just fine.

BTW, Congrats on your big brew day, Scottie!

I'll step of my high horse now....rolleyes

Scottie's hop schedule would give you IBUs somewhere between 20-25 if using a standard 60 minute addition. The guidelines for a mild are between 10-25 IBUs; it isn't a bitter beer.

Also some of the specialty malts are dark malts which I find give a dry, roasty flavour which can help with the sweetness of the brew.

So a FWH may give the perception it is what, a few IBU points less? If so, I wouldn't be concerned at all. And if not, then I wouldn't be concerned either.

A warning though Scottie, the Milds go down rather too easily rightful

After just checking what I have aging I've decided to do a very quick, easy drinker considering I have some pretty hardcore brews aging at the moment and no real session beers.

Thinking Mexican cevaza (only used this once before) I know it's bland

1kg be2

10g east Kent Golding at 15min, 10min and 5g flame out

15g citra dry hop

I think I've read once that the cevaza comes with a lager/ale yeast combo so I'll probably brew on the colder side at about 16degrees.

Thoughts?

Hey A-Man

If you've got the Cerveza then brew it, yeh bland it can be but your hop addition should shine and give you a clear indication of what the hop brings to a brew. I did a fruit salad Mexican once and it certainly was a good lawn mower (+) lager type - I brewed at about 14 degrees.

Cheers

Hey Anthony

Don't sweat, it is as Hairy says a Mild Ale and I used a combination of looking at other Mild recipes, the BJCP guidelines and the BeerSmith software. I added the Amber Malt and Carafa II because I have a heap on hand, Amber Malt is used in EB. The hops are Tasmanian Willamette (Hey Chad that's a Tassie Nobel Hop) only 5.3% which is less than the American. You may ask why try something like this first up with the new rig? Well I am conscious of the increase in bitterness when moving from 8 litres to 14 litres - now I boiling 29 litres.

Here's what I am aiming for although I am the high style for the style on all counts:

11A. Mild

Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, and may have some fruitiness. The malt expression can take on a wide range of character, which can include caramelly, grainy, toasted, nutty, chocolate, or lightly roasted. Little to no hop aroma. Very low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Copper to dark brown or mahogany color. A few paler examples (medium amber to light brown) exist. Generally clear, although is traditionally unfiltered. Low to moderate off-white to tan head. Retention may be poor due to low carbonation, adjunct use and low gravity.

Flavor: Generally a malty beer, although may have a very wide range of malt- and yeast-based flavors (e.g., malty, sweet, caramel, toffee, toast, nutty, chocolate, coffee, roast, vinous, fruit, licorice, molasses, plum, raisin). Can finish sweet or dry. Versions with darker malts may have a dry, roasted finish. Low to moderate bitterness, enough to provide some balance but not enough to overpower the malt. Fruity esters moderate to none. Diacetyl and hop flavor low to none. BJCP Style Guidelines 2008

At this point I will be happy just to get a beer that is free from infection and rebuild my momentum from there - on a positive note there are signs of fermentation this afternoon unsure

I wish you well with the brew Scottie.

I'm sorry if that didn't come across in my previous post. innocent

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Like I said don't sweat (AKA It's Cool).

I will work my way up to hoppy and bitter. A Vienna Lager is next and then an Ordinary Bitter, both will be conventional Magnum Hop Boils.

Cheers

Scottie

Hey A-Man

If you've got the Cerveza then brew it' date=' yeh bland it can be but your hop addition should shine and give you a clear indication of what the hop brings to a brew. I did a fruit salad Mexican once and it certainly was a good lawn mower (+) lager type - I brewed at about 14 degrees.

Cheers

[/quote']

Thanks mate, I ended up going with a Canadian blonde instead.

Chucking it on shortly!

Archived