Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

The Pale Ale: The recipe you listed I would view as more Amber Ale-like' date=' than Pale Ale due to the chocolate malt inclusion. Not to say it won't be a tasty beer though. [img']wink[/img] .

Good point. I did a bit of research and the recipe is essentially a weaker version of a brown ale, more like a mild. I thought I'd treat it a such, although as you mention the hop bill with Vic Secret stretches away from that but I thought it had a bit of an American brown ale element to it.

Your comment about Vic Secret here is a little strange considering it's not listed as being part of your Pale Ale recipe! rolleyes

The Best Bitter: No yeast mentioned for this brew' date=' so hard to give an accurate assessment. The POR inclusion (I feel) would work well in Best Bitters due to some of its earthy-like characterstics. Your smallish inclusion here won't create any prominent flavours, but should work well at that bitterness point in the boil.[/quote']

Windsor Ale yeast is my thought. But I have Nottingham as well so could use that for a more neutral yeast. But I wondered if the fruity ester from Windsor would play well with the Vic secret flavour and nose. I also wonder if the EKG would do nothing because of the Vic Secret?

There are certainly others with far more brewing experience with brewing this type of beer here on the forum that will hopefully chime in with some more beneficial information.

Cheers,

Anthony.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your comment about Vic Secret here is a little strange considering it's not listed as being part of your Pale Ale recipe! rolleyes

lol I screwed up, the Ella hops are meant to be Vic Secret. No Ella in my house atm.

Thanks for chiming in. I've got a couple more hours before I brew it. Hopefully more feedback will help fill the gaps.

Maybe I could put more prominence on the EKG at 15 and 5min with PoR for bittering, and Vic secret in small amount at flameout and dry hop?

That might be clearer in terms of what hops are doing what in each stage of drinking.

Update. Beerlust, I brewed to your recipe, but couldn't keep the temp down at 18*C, so it sat mostly at 22-23*C. At one week after bottling (gotta sample as you go, y'know), it's significantly improved from the taste before bottling. I'll keep you posted. Next down.... Mister Sinister from the DIY recipe page here. I'm excited!

Hi porschemad911.

The base recipe for the Celebration Ale will produce you an Amber Ale. As Ruddy stated, the addition of 100gms of dark crystal will primarily just add a little more colour, & a hint of extra caramelisation to the flavour of the final beer. Certainly not anything to worry about, & will work just fine in with this recipe. smile

The Celebration Ale recipe is one of my personal favs, & produces a delicious beer. love

Good luck with the brew. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Finally got around to making this today, mash out now.

Recipe: Rosella Wheat

Estimated OG: 1.048 SG

Estimated IBU: 16.0 IBUs

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt' date=' Maris Otter

1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White)

0.50 kg Wheat, Flaked

500g Rosella Flowers (or maybe more? Probably boil them and add the liquid)

10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %'] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put this one down last night. A modification of two recipes: American Brown ale specialty grains and malt recipe/percentages to a mild ale ABV, IBU and SRM and hops (except for the small fruity addition of Vic Secret).

Brew Method: Extract Style Name: Mild

Boil Time: 90 min Batch Size: 9 liters (fermentor volume)

Boil Size: 10 liters Boil Gravity: 1.057 Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:

Original Gravity: 1.032 Final Gravity: 1.009

ABV (standard): 3% IBU (tinseth): 24.88 SRM (morey): 12.52

FERMENTABLES:

750 g - Dry Malt Extract - Light (75.8%)

STEEPING GRAINS:

100 g - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (10.1%)

100 g - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (10.1%)

40 g - American - Dark Chocolate (4%)

HOPS:

5 g - Pride of Ringwood, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 55 min, IBU: 12.93

10 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 8.53

10 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.43

5 g - Victoria Secret, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.1, Use: Boil for 0 min

5 g - Victoria Secret, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.1, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:

Danstar - Windsor Ale Yeast

Tastes good, though a little bitter which I expect will settle. I was given cacao nibs and thought I might bottle half the brew and then drop 100gm in for a couple of days before bottling the rest of the brew. Will wait to test flavour once fermented.

Making this one today, should be nasty.

Recipe: Stink Eye IPA

Estimated OG: 1.072 SG

Estimated Color: 19.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 73.4 IBUs

------------

6.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.40 kg Crystal (Joe White)

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

25.00 g Millenium [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min

25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min

25.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Making this one today' date=' should be nasty.

Recipe: Stink Eye IPA

Estimated OG: 1.072 SG

Estimated Color: 19.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 73.4 IBUs

------------

6.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.40 kg Crystal (Joe White)

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

25.00 g Millenium [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min

25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min

25.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

-

Looks good, Ben! The hops schedule kinda' reminds me of my "Cat's Rye IPA". My brew has some cascade and Amarillo in there as well but similar. I am a big fan of Munich these days. I think it adds a lot to the brew and works well with many different style. I'm not so big of a fan of the Cara-pils, though. I phased it out of my malt bills a while ago and don't miss it at all. Do you keg or bottle. I think I stopped using it when I started kegging.

I'd like to hear how this one turns out.

BTW, I still think you should have done a partigyle with this one!biggrin

Finally got around to making this today' date=' mash out now.

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.50 kg Wheat, Flaked

10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

I like the look of this one. What did the OG sample taste like? Is this your own creation or from another source? I'd like to get an extract version of it.

I'd like to hear how this one turns out.

Still early in my AG career' date=' having not used cara-pils before I thought I should.

. What did the OG sample taste like? Is this your own creation or from another source? I'd like to get an extract version of it.

I made it up myself, and there was no colour change so I may have to pick some more rosellas and throw them in the FV.

Hi Ben.

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt' date=' Maris Otter

0.50 kg Wheat, Flaked

10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %'] - Boil 60.0 min

A very interesting recipe with the Rosella flowers Ben. I admit before you posted it, I didn't even know what a Rosella flower was. innocent It interested me so much so, that I spent over an hour or so online reading about it.

I made it up myself' date=' and there was no colour change so I may have to pick some more rosellas and throw them in the FV.[/quote']

Perhaps next time, make a syrup up with the flowers & some sugar/dextrose as detailed in the link below, & add that into your FV with your other fermentables? wink

Rosella Flower Syrup

I would definitely "dry hop" style some whole flowers after fermentation has died down as you are already planning to.

Rosella flowers are said to produce plum & rhubarb-like flavours among others. A very cool brew Ben, that would go down very nicely especially living up in the top end as you do! cool

Good luck with the brew, & let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I did indeed make a syrup' date=' and when that wasn't red enough threw in 500ml of home made rosella cordial.

And yes the "dry hop" will be done for sure.[/quote']

The hard part is getting the flavours from the Rosella flowers to present at a nice level in the final beer. If you are able to do that with this current recipe, the presentation reddish colour is easily created from smart use of possibly grains, or even something as simple as food colouring.

Whilst reading about Rosella flowers etc. earlier today, I found a brewery in Jamaica that brews a shandy-like beer using the flowers. It's known as a "Shandy Sorrel", that uses these hibiscus type plants.

Carib Brewery (Jamaica): Shandy Sorrel (Scroll down for the limited info)

You certainly have me interested in this brew. I look forward to reading your future posts on it. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

I have used Sorachi Ace hops which have a definite lemon flavour.

Lemon compliments the rosella a lot.

Unfortunately my experimentation will have to end with this beer this season as the plants are almost done.

Today was the day. My first 3V all grain with the new setup. Thanks to MHB, I did a clone of Timothy Taylor's Landlord Pale Ale. Surprisingly for my first brew, I hit all the numbers and temps exactly (and I'm sure that will be the last time too). But it was probably the simplest recipe I've ever seen.

For a knockout of 40 litres it was merely:

Marris Otter 8.0 kg

Black Patent 50 grams

EKG 95g @90 min

Styrian Golding 65g @90 min

Styrian Golding 40g @10 min

3 X M44

It smelled glorious, but was a long day.

I'm doing my first IPA today and am really looking forward to it.

As alluded to in other threads here is the recipe:

Jon Snow IPA

1.7 kg TC IPA

1 kg LDME

500 g Dextrose

200 g Carared

50 g Roasted Barley

45 g Motueka (dry hop)

MJ's M07 British Ale Yeast

22 lt Brew

I have bastardised a few of Cooper's IPA recipes (hence the title) and done some fine tuning with IanH's spreadsheet. Hoping for a final ABV of around 5.6% from memory.

Cheers, Mark.

G'day Mark

I'm really just thinking out loud here 'cos I've not used mortueka. With 45g dry hopping, you will get a lot of aroma and not much else. If you added half of it to the 10-15 min boil after steeping you'll also get the hop flavour as well, with very little extra bittering.

Cheers

I have bastardised a few of Cooper's IPA recipes (hence the title).

I thought it was because "you knew nothing". wink

Phil, I agree with you about the hopping but I presume the recipe is based on the Hop Slam IPA.

I have bastardised a few of Cooper's IPA recipes (hence the title).

I thought it was because "you knew nothing". wink

crying

Haha well played. It was from the Hop Slam recipe but I will take your advice on board and do a 10 minute boil of 15 g or so that way I can still do my standard 30 g dry hop. Thanks gents.

(PS SPOILER ALERT: that wildling knew nothing about the arrow heading her way the other night).

Scotties 60 Cents (worth)

2.75kg Maris Otter (5 EBC)

0.25kg Crystal Malt (120 EBC)

0.10kg Roasted Barley (1200 EBC)

25g EKG (5.2%) at 60 mins

15g EKG (5.2%) at 15 mins

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Mash 45 minutes at 69 degrees

8 litre sparge at 75 degrees

Looking for

28 EBC

17 IBU