Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Wow' date=' heaps of brews happening which is great to see.

Yesterday I brewed a Mangrove Jack's Brewery Box because my LHBS had them on special this month for $32 (sorry Coopers, I still love you).

[b']Lord Finster Dark Best Bitter[/b]

3.0 kg LME

500 g Dextrose

10 g Burton Union Yeast

50 g hops (Summit & Target, dry hop on day 5, 25 g of each I'm assuming).

OG = 10.46

The only thing that wasn't included in the box was the dextrose. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Cheers & beers,

- Mark

You don't appear to have any bittering hops or specialty malts in the recipe.

Or is the LME a hopped kit of some sort?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Hairy. The two pouches of LME are already hopped I believe (almost tasted like licorice). As per MJ's website:

ABV Approx. 5%

Bitterness: IBU 38-46

Bitterness: 4/5

Colour: Brown Russet

Brew Day, yesterday!!

Viking Beer

3.4Kg Pilsner Malt

1.2Kg Rye Malt (400g smoked over Juniper wood for 4 hours)

.5Kg Munich 10L

.4Kg Wheat malt

.2Kg Crystal 60L

.05Kg Black Patent malt

10g Hallertau (FWH)

15g Hallertau (0mins)

10g Perle (0mins)

2 10cm pieces of Juniper wood in the mash

20g Juniper berries (20mins)

15g Juniper berries (10min), (5mins)

21L

Notto

No Chill Mashed at 67C

This one is quite a bit different that my last Viking beer. It still has the same sort of thing going on though. Lots of Juniper and lots of rye. I mashed this one quite a bit lower at 67C single infusion instead of a step mash. I am going with Notto instead of S-04 for a little more dryness.

We'll see how it turns out in a couple of weekshappy.

Doubtless some of you may think I am a little mad but I am a big fan of a beer called Barefoot Radler,(I know it's made by one of those big megaswill breweries) I find it really refreshing after an afternoon spent mowing the lawn and weeding the garden.

So with this in mind I decided to tweak the Coopers green neck lager in order to (hopefully) produce my own version of a "radler" ( I know that a real radler is basically just a shandy)

So anyway I followed the instructions except instead of using 1kg dextrose I used 750gms,I kept 250gms separate and dissolved it in 250ml of lemon juice warmed on the stove,(I adjusted the liquid so the quantity remains the same as the instructions) I also added zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime ,plus a whole lime cut in quarters and tied in a muslin bag,added to the FV).

It's going nicely,bubbling away gently,I will let you know the results..smile

Cheers

N'oz

Chad - why the black patent?

I reckon I'm going to skip the smoked malt next time. 200g of it has given my latest batch a bit of a bacony flavour, which doesn't seem very Viking-y. That was just my observation from the bottling-day sample though - these things do change.

I reckon I'm going to skip the smoked malt next time. 200g of it has given my latest batch a bit of a bacony flavour' date=' which doesn't seem very Viking-y. That was just my observation from the bottling-day sample though - these things do change.[/quote']

I've had bacon marinated in beer but never bacon flavor beer..biggrinsmile

Cheers

N'oz

I reckon I'm going to skip the smoked malt next time. 200g of it has given my latest batch a bit of a bacony flavour' date=' which doesn't seem very Viking-y. That was just my observation from the bottling-day sample though - these things do change.[/quote']

Cheers

N'oz

You don't know what you are missing out on love

K-Rudd, what smoked malt did you use? Weyermann (Beechwood smoked) or a peat smoked malt?

Cheers

N'oz

You don't know what you are missing out on love

K-Rudd, what smoked malt did you use? Weyermann (Beechwood smoked) or a peat smoked malt?

Couldn't be worse than the bacon coffee I had in Utah..awful..and I love bacon..unsure

Cheers

N'oz

I reckon I'm going to skip the smoked malt next time. 200g of it has given my latest batch a bit of a bacony flavour' date=' which doesn't seem very Viking-y. That was just my observation from the bottling-day sample though - these things do change.[/quote']the BP malt is just for colour. I'm still intrigued about making a red ale. I can't call the the beer "Eric the Red ale" with out it being red now can I ?

I reckon that the smoked malt has a place in your Viking beer. After all the original Sahti recipe that is link to in the very beginning of your Viking beer thread has smoked rye in it. It works for me anyways.

Yeah, perhaps I'll just use a little less next time. Well, really I should be reserving judgement until I've actually tried one haha

Also, it's funny that we've both decided to make our viking beer's red this time. Is this your third batch too?

I'm realy happy with the kits and specialty grain brews I'm doing ATM just tasted a 5day old Amarillo real ale coopers which is going to be superb is a few weeks and a fuggles EB in the FV is looking to be the same. The brew fridge has made a huge difference along with simplifying my hop additions by just using a single hop type and only doing very late additions and dry hopping with little more, it seems to of done the trick.

I will be kegging the EB this weekend and doing my first stout with some choc grain and some other different adjunks I have yet finalise so looking forward to see how this one goes.

I'd love to try AG eventually but having three young kids I barely have time to do a kit a steep some grains. I'm just happy ATM having some wins with my kits.

Brew day' date=' today!!

Today's brew was an attempt at a hoppy red ale.

[u']Jacob's Red Ale[/u]

2.2Kg Pale Ale malt

1.5Kg Munich 10L

.3Kg Crystal 60L

.075Kg Black Patent

10g Simcoe (14.2%) FWH 75mins

5g Magnum (12.5%) 45mins

20g Simcoe 0mins

21L

US-05

Mashed @ 68C IBU's 39 SRM 15 OG 1.045 No chill adjusted

This was a great brew day because I had a friend come over and partake in the fun and help me out. This is the first time in all my brew days that I have even had a friend come by, observe and help out. We had a great time! I think I made his brain hurt with all the in's and out's of a brew day but all in all I think he got a lot of it. He left with the idea that he's investing in a brew kettle, a burner and a keg set-up. He's a smart man!wink I can see him and I getting together to make some 42L batches using my 3V set-up or him getting into BIAB brewing on his own.

Anyways, it was an awesome brew day and I'm hoping to have more like it down the road. smile

BTW, I'm not sure how red this one with turn out. It's looking more brown than red.rolleyes

Well I just tap the keg on this one today. I gotta' say it turned out pretty good! The malt/ bitterness balance is right on the mark. The Simcoe is a nice change for the late hops. Maybe apricots? Nice aromasmile.

It's had a OG of 1.045 so probably 4.5% ABV. This is about prefect for me. The colour is nice but a little dark to call red. You might say dark redrolleyes. I drink out of stoneware so it really doesn't matter.wink

I must say that the "no-chill" method is a good one. The last three brews have been "no-chill and all turned out very good! They have been maybe a little more bitter than what I'm used to. This can be adjusted if I want.smile

Brew day!

109 - APA

24L, OG 1.051, IBU 35

4kg Maris Otter

1kg Weyermann Munich I

250g Wey. Pale Wheat

250g Wey. Carabohemian

10g Centennial, 5g Citra - FWH

20g Centennial, 15g Citra - 5 min

25g Centennial, 15g Citra - 0 min

Will ferment with WLP051 @ 20c.

More than 2 hop additions? Baggins, you droll hobbit! I believe you are losing your mind! biggrin

Brew Day

Coopers Draught 1.7 Kg

Briess Golden Liquid Malt Extract 1.5

LDME 213g

Pride of Ringwood 20g @ 10 minutes boil

Vic Secret 20g @ 5 minute boil

23 liter and pitch kit yeast @ 24°C into Temp control @ 18°C Dry Hop 15g Vic Secret @approx Day 5 or after krausen has fallen.

I was very happy with the last one I did to similar recipe, drank well early but the fruity aroma went away too soon, so upped the amount a little from last time, used a short boil this time and added the dry hop addition as well. wink

Happy Brewing to all.

Cheers.

A Brew evening

A Slight variation of Wazza's Four Shades of Stout.

2o Litres

3kg Marris Otter

200g Amber Malt

200g Choc Malt

200g Flaked Barley

200g Carafa Special II

150g Roasted Barley

35g Northern Brewer at 60 mins

20g Willamette at 20 mins

14g S04

Mashed at 68'C

Hi Scottie.

A Brew evening

A Slight variation of Wazza's Four Shades of Stout.

2o Litres

3kg Marris Otter

200g Amber Malt

200g Choc Malt

200g Flaked Barley

200g Carafa Special II

150g Roasted Barley

35g Northern Brewer at 60 mins

20g Willamette at 20 mins

14g S04

Mashed at 68'C

A strange time of year to be brewing a stout? unsure

....Aww sorry! I forgot you live in Tassie! wink

Hehehe! biggrin

Good luck with that S-04 Scottie' date=' especially this time of year down in Tassie! [img']pinched[/img]

Anthony.

Hi Hairy.

Aren't you coming into winter too?

biggrin

...yes oddly enough I am. However' date=' given the time dark beers take to age, I fermented & bottled my darks back in Dec/Jan.

Coincidentally I just cracked the first longneck of my Oaked Vanilla Porter. The head is that firm, you almost need a spoon to get through it! Yummo! [img']biggrin[/img]

I forgot to mention, I hope it turns out to be a good one Scottie, it looks good on paper! cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

The weather's been that great I forgot to brew one innocent

First taste of Winter today, Stout weather right up to Grand Final day. I am going to keg this one so hopefully it will age nicely after two months.

Cheers

Scottie

Perhaps it is just me but I don't find that dark beers need to be aged longer than other beers. High ABV beers can be different though.

Have a crack at them early and you might be surprised.

Lusty, how much vanilla did you use in your porter? And beans or paste?

ESVA tomorrow morning. With a couple of changes to the coopers recipe

250g crystal soaking in 2l of water in the fridge overnight

APA tin

Real ale tin

500g LDM

650g dex

25g cascade + 15g EKG(combo to make up for no centennial??? ) in a short boil with the crystal water and LDM

S04 and APA tin yeast

25g Chinook and 25g citra dry hop

21l brewed at 18 degrees

Thoughts?

Cheers, Alex.

Brewday today.

I had some malt grains & hops that needed to be used up (hence the odd numbers), so threw down this extract/partial easy drinker earlier today.

Coopers LME 1.5kg

LDM 500gms

Vienna Malt grain 500gms

Light Crystal Malt grain 300gms

CaraPils 150gms

Flaked Oats approx. 80gms (Gluc steep @ 47°C prior to including in mash)

Mashed grains @ 68°C for 75mins

POR hops 7gms @ 60mins

Centennial 8gms @ 60mins

Centennial 11gms @ 30mins

Cascade 10gms @ 15mins

Cascade 15gms @ 3mins

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast pitched @ 21.2°C

OG = 1.043 (actual) FG = 1.012 (expected)

EBC = approx. 12.5 IBU = approx. 30.2

Brewed to 22 litres.

NO dry hop.

Smelled pretty good just before pitching the yeast. smile

It should be a nice easy drinker at approx. 4.2% ABV from the keg once it's ready.

I'm looking forward to next weeks brewday as it will be a style I haven't brewed before. A Scottish Ale aimed at reproducing an old local Scottish beer known as "Younger's Tartan Special". cool

Cheers & good brewing all,

Anthony.

Hi Hairy.

Perhaps it is just me but I don't find that dark beers need to be aged longer than other beers. High ABV beers can be different though.

I agree with that in part Hairy. From my viewpoint' date=' that really depends on the complexity of your malt grain bill. Given that we are on a forum where a lot of posters are using the Coopers pre-hopped kit tins as their main flavour base, then yes, I agree little will change over time in terms of overall flavours once the beer is sufficiently carbonated, & ready for drinking.

The pre-hopped kit tin is a blend of different malt grains & hops that have spent some period of time in combination with one another before being placed in a fermentation cycle. To me, their different flavour profiles have been infused over this period of time (prior to fermenting) that projects one eventual flavour that will only change marginally if combined with a simple malt inclusion as is normally done with kit & kilo beers.

However, once you begin to create these flavour profiles from pure malt grains, this "infusion time" (for a better term) has not occurred if mashing, hop boiling, then commencing fermentation relatively quickly once your brew wort is at a suitable temperature zone (often the same day).

Scottie's grain bill is quite complex, & although he can certainly drink it earlier after it has been fermented & carbonated, it will be a much more delightful & appreciated beer if given time for those malt grain flavours to infuse (IMHO).

Lusty, how much vanilla did you use in your porter? And beans or paste?

I use one split (whole) vanilla bean with the seeds removed and added after primary fermentation has died down (usually 4-5 days). I only want a subtle vanilla influence, not something that becomes even remotely dominant. Combined in this way with the oak chips it works well in this recipe for the flavours I'm looking for. smile I accept that the levels I like might be different to what others might prefer. It's a personal choice really. I admit with my last brewing of my Porter recipe I was tempted to add a second vanilla bean at the same junction, but erred against ruining the balance I feel I've currently achieved by doing that. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Put this one down today:

1.7kg Coopers OS Lager tin

500g LDM

250g Caraaroma

50g Roasted Barley - both steeped in 3 litres of cold water overnight then boiled for 15 mins.

Kit yeast

22 litres

OG 1034

Hoping for a nice Red Ale cool

Championing the cause for the much maligned OS Lager tin. winkunsure

Archived