Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey hey' date=' long time no post. Been busy moving house and working.

But this weekend is my first brew weekend in the new house, and this year I think. I'm getting excited![/quote']

Welcome back Sensei! wink

Well this one is a shoot from the hip type of brew that I put together.

Ale (MEU Au) 4.300

Cara Munich T2 (GER) 0.400

Medium Crystal (BB-Au) 0.400

Chocolate Malt (TF UK) 0.100

Approx Total Grain Weight 5.2

Fuggles UK (T90) 25g @ 60

Columbus 15 @ 30

Topaz AUS (T90) 7g @ 10

Galaxy AUS (T90) 10 @ 10

Northern Brewer GER (T45) 7 @ 10

Dry at day 3-4

Topaz AUS (T90) 7 0.28 $0.09 $0.63

Galaxy AUS (T90) 10 0.40 $0.08 $0.80

BrewBright (Auto Calculated Dose) 3 $0.17

Just added the 60 addition,

TBA yeast, either Muntons Premium Gold or Windsor.

Hi Hairy.

A couple of brew days coming up.

Tomorrow is a Smoked Choc Porter (recipe from AHB):

2kg Marris Otter

1.3kg Weyermann Smoked Malt

800g Munich

600g Caramunich I

150g Carafa III

150g Chocolate malt

125g Caraaroma

14g Magnum @ 60 minutes

20g Fuggles @ whirlpool

Mangrove Jacks British Ale yeast

23 litres

OG 1048

IBU 29 (no chill adjusted)...

...I love smoked beers love

Edit: a few changes to the recipes due to availability of supplies at the LHBS.

I know there was another recipe mentioned in this particular post of yours' date=' but I was primarily interested in this one.

It's a rare thing in my time on the forum that you post recipes that you are secretly brewing behind the forum scene, so I hope you don't mind me asking you a question or two? [img']biggrin[/img]

Of everything listed in this recipe of yours, I am particularly interested in your use & thoughts on the Caramunich grain. It appears you use it in preference to Light, Medium, & Dark Crystal malt grain? In the volume you've used it in this recipe, you're obviously not using it primarily for colour. So If I've understood your usages of it, what would you say it gives, that say any of those crystal malt grains don't? unsure

I've only done the one recipe with 150gms of it & really couldn't notice anything obvious with it. Admittedly, I only used a small amount & just stuck my toe in the water with it, not really knowing what to expect. unsure

I understand what you are building with this recipe, bar the Caramunich contribution, so I'd be really interested in your thoughts of its usages in preference to say the crystal malt brigade in certain instances.

If I've put you on the spot with this one,...Even better! Hehehe! biggrinwink

All jokes aside, I'd really be interested in your thoughts on this given that a number of my favourite commercial brews claim to use it as part of their grain mix.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony.

Hi Hairy.
A couple of brew days coming up.

Tomorrow is a Smoked Choc Porter (recipe from AHB):

2kg Marris Otter

1.3kg Weyermann Smoked Malt

800g Munich

600g Caramunich I

150g Carafa III

150g Chocolate malt

125g Caraaroma

14g Magnum @ 60 minutes

20g Fuggles @ whirlpool

Mangrove Jacks British Ale yeast

23 litres

OG 1048

IBU 29 (no chill adjusted)...

...I love smoked beers love

Edit: a few changes to the recipes due to availability of supplies at the LHBS.

I know there was another recipe mentioned in this particular post of yours' date=' but I was primarily interested in this one.

It's a rare thing in my time on the forum that you post recipes that you are secretly brewing behind the forum scene, so I hope you don't mind me asking you a question or two? [img']biggrin[/img]

Of everything listed in this recipe of yours, I am particularly interested in your use & thoughts on the Caramunich grain. It appears you use it in preference to Light, Medium, & Dark Crystal malt grain? In the volume you've used it in this recipe, you're obviously not using it primarily for colour. So If I've understood your usages of it, what would you say it gives, that say any of those crystal malt grains don't? unsure

I've only done the one recipe with 150gms of it & really couldn't notice anything obvious with it. Admittedly, I only used a small amount & just stuck my toe in the water with it, not really knowing what to expect. unsure

I understand what you are building with this recipe, bar the Caramunich contribution, so I'd be really interested in your thoughts of its usages in preference to say the crystal malt brigade in certain instances.

If I've put you on the spot with this one,...Even better! Hehehe! biggrinwink

All jokes aside, I'd really be interested in your thoughts on this given that a number of my favourite commercial brews claim to use it as part of their grain mix.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony.

Short answer: no idea.

It is Lucas' Smoked Choc Porter from AHB so I am just running with the recipe.

I always worked on the basis that Caramunich was just a crystal made from Munich malt. I have only used it a couple times and just used it as a replacement for crystal.

Hi guys.

Toucan Cross Dresser IPA

Thomas Coopers Draught 1.7kg (31.0 IBU @ 23 litres)

TCB Wal's Pale Ale 1.7kg (19.0 IBU @ 23 litres)

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

Light Crystal grain 250gms

Amarillo 10gms @ flameout

Cascade 10gms @ flameout

Citra 10gms @ flameout

Simcoe 10gms @ flameout

Amarillo 30gms dry hopped

Citra 10gms dry hopped

OG = 1.057 (actual)

FG = 1.014 (expected)

Kegged ABV = approx. 5.6%

EBC = approx. 18.1

IBU = approx. 50.0

Brewed to 23 litres.

Brew pitched onto a fresh US-05 yeast cake @ 20°C

Will ferment under ambient conditions @ 19-21°C.

The mix did smell awesome prior to fitting the fermenter lid. biggrin

This is my first brew using a fresh yeast cake' date=' so I'll be interested to see how it behaves through primary fermentation, & what flavours I end up with once it's fully fermented & kegged.

I'll update down the track.[/quote']

Just an update on this brew. The IPA levels I aimed for in terms of bitterness & flavour produced a nice drinking beer. I kegged & began carbing it up a few days ago to a point where it pours well today. smile

I would like to acknowledge one of my major online mentor's sentiments at this point about using "fresh ingredients". One of PB2's triangle points as being important aspects when brewing is freshness of ingredients. In particular, if you want vibrant, obvious hop aromas & flavours, then use fresh hops! rightful

If I could pick fault with anything in this toucan brew of mine, it would be with the dry hop additions where I used older purchased hops I've had stored for sometime, & needed to be used up. That said, I brewed the toucan already knowing the loss of impact these dry hop additions would give. wink

On the upside, apart from the dry hop additions, the beer flavour & bitterness levels gained from the combination of the two kit tins have produced a very easy drinking beer in the IPA category as I had hoped for. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

I always worked on the basis that Caramunich was just a crystal made from Munich malt. I have only used it a couple times and just used it as a replacement for crystal.

I wouldn't like to play Poker against you for money! rightful

tongue

Anthony.

Well I'm waiting for the axes to be thrown at me. I decided to try a fresh wort kit, a US IPA. Not exactly brewing is it, but after tasting the potential result at the store, I couldn't help giving it a try.

Brew day, today!!

Today's brew was an attempt at a hoppy red ale.

Jacob's Red Ale

2.2Kg Pale Ale malt

1.5Kg Munich 10L

.3Kg Crystal 60L

.075Kg Black Patent

10g Simcoe (14.2%) FWH 75mins

5g Magnum (12.5%) 45mins

20g Simcoe 0mins

21L

US-05

Mashed @ 68C IBU's 39 SRM 15 OG 1.045 No chill adjusted

This was a great brew day because I had a friend come over and partake in the fun and help me out. This is the first time in all my brew days that I have even had a friend come by, observe and help out. We had a great time! I think I made his brain hurt with all the in's and out's of a brew day but all in all I think he got a lot of it. He left with the idea that he's investing in a brew kettle, a burner and a keg set-up. He's a smart man!wink I can see him and I getting together to make some 42L batches using my 3V set-up or him getting into BIAB brewing on his own.

Anyways, it was an awesome brew day and I'm hoping to have more like it down the road. smile

BTW, I'm not sure how red this one with turn out. It's looking more brown than red.rolleyes

Archived