Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Great minds hey Chad. I am also doing a hoppy red ale (post #574) although mine is more Englishy hoppy.

Brew days with mates are always good; I'm glad you have found/converted someone.

Philby - nothing wrong with Fresh Wort Kits wink

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Hairy

I saw that recipe of yours. I hadn't notice it was a red ale. I just noticed it was smoked. I like a smoked beer as well. I haven't made one since my K&B brews. I should give one a go sometime soon. I'm into smoking my own meats so the next time I have the smoker going I'll have to smoke a Kg of malt as well. I usually smoke with apple wood. I wonder how this would be for a smoked beerunsure. I think smoked malt is usually smoked with beech or peat. I did smoke my own rye over juniper for my Viking beer once. It worked out just finesmile.

Have you brew your red yet? Did it turn out red?

Hi Skookum.

Brew day' date=' today!!

Today's brew was an attempt at a hoppy red ale.

[u']Jacob's Red Ale[/u]

2.2Kg Pale Ale malt

1.5Kg Munich 10L

.3Kg Crystal 60L

.075Kg Black Patent

10g Simcoe (14.2%) FWH 75mins

5g Magnum (12.5%) 45mins

20g Simcoe 0mins

21L

US-05

Mashed @ 68C IBU's 39 SRM 15 OG 1.045 No chill adjusted

This was a great brew day because I had a friend come over and partake in the fun and help me out. This is the first time in all my brew days that I have even had a friend come by, observe and help out. We had a great time! I think I made his brain hurt with all the in's and out's of a brew day but all in all I think he got a lot of it. He left with the idea that he's investing in a brew kettle, a burner and a keg set-up. He's a smart man!wink I can see him and I getting together to make some 42L batches using my 3V set-up or him getting into BIAB brewing on his own.

Anyways, it was an awesome brew day and I'm hoping to have more like it down the road. smile

BTW, I'm not sure how red this one with turn out. It's looking more brown than red.rolleyes

Great stuff Chad! I'm glad to hear you potentially now have a "Brew Buddy" there in Golden BC! cool

As far as the brew colour goes, I think the Crystal 60 is hurting the colour & is darkening it beyond the red hue your are looking for. I think Hairy wrote recently that a "less is more" approach will help with creating the desired hue. That makes a lot of sense in this scenario I reckon. cool

The following thread has some good info, links & photos from our brewing mates on how to obtain the reddish hue.

Otto Von Blotto's (Kelsey's) photos clearly show the dark reddish hue his recipe creates. cool If you replaced the Black Patent grain addition with a little more base malt from that recipe I believe you could lighten the hue & even emphasize the reddish colour further (If that is what you wished).

TakaM's Red Ale thread

P.S. Word will get around Golden in no time once your friend & you start having more frequent joint brewdays! Perhaps start thinking of beginning the Golden Homebrew Club? wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Hairy

I saw that recipe of yours. I hadn't notice it was a red ale. I just noticed it was smoked. I like a smoked beer as well. I haven't made one since my K&B brews. I should give one a go sometime soon. I'm into smoking my own meats so the next time I have the smoker going I'll have to smoke a Kg of malt as well. I usually smoke with apple wood. I wonder how this would be for a smoked beerunsure. I think smoked malt is usually smoked with beech or peat. I did smoke my own rye over juniper for my Viking beer once. It worked out just finesmile.

Have you brew your red yet? Did it turn out red?

I haven't brewed the red ale yet, probably will do it this weekend.

Last weekend was the smoked Choc porter.

I do have a red(ish) IPA in the FV ready to bottle. I will report back in a couple weeks re the colour of that one.

... I like a smoked beer as well. I haven't made one since my K&B brews. I should give one a go sometime soon ...

Didn't you do a smoked viking beer?

Yup. I smoked the rye over juniper wood. I'm planning to do another Viking beer soon. Maybe I'll try for a red Viking ale. I'd call it "Eric the Red ale". biggrin

Oh ok I thought you did that all grain.

My current one (fermenting as we speak) is supposed to be red ... but I think you know that. I used 100g roast barley' date=' 600g rye and 250g smoked malt[/quote']

Hey KR,

Yea, my Viking was an AG. It was one of my first AGs and around two years ago. I was still brewing mostly K&B and extract at that time.

Brew day' date=' today!!

Today's brew was an attempt at a hoppy red ale.

[u']Jacob's Red Ale[/u]

2.2Kg Pale Ale malt

1.5Kg Munich 10L

.3Kg Crystal 60L

.075Kg Black Patent

10g Simcoe (14.2%) FWH 75mins

5g Magnum (12.5%) 45mins

20g Simcoe 0mins

21L

US-05

Mashed @ 68C IBU's 39 SRM 15 OG 1.045 No chill adjusted

This was a great brew day because I had a friend come over and partake in the fun and help me out. This is the first time in all my brew days that I have even had a friend come by, observe and help out. We had a great time! I think I made his brain hurt with all the in's and out's of a brew day but all in all I think he got a lot of it. He left with the idea that he's investing in a brew kettle, a burner and a keg set-up. He's a smart man!wink I can see him and I getting together to make some 42L batches using my 3V set-up or him getting into BIAB brewing on his own.

Anyways, it was an awesome brew day and I'm hoping to have more like it down the road. smile

BTW, I'm not sure how red this one with turn out. It's looking more brown than red.rolleyes

This is the first brew that I used an aquarium pump and air stone to aerate the wort before I pitched the yeast. we'll see how it goes.

Today was bottling and cleaning rather than brewing day. My double-hopped extra strong (by mistake) IPA kit turned out really well judging by the final sample and my lovely wifey helped with bottling love

Brew day will be an English bitter kit ... thinking what I can do to spice it up a little from the basic can + 500g malt recipe.

Hi porschemad911.

Brew day will be an English bitter kit ... thinking what I can do to spice it up a little from the basic can + 500g malt recipe.

Perhaps give this a whirl. It has received very good reviews from those forum members that have brewed it. cool

Coopers DIY - Hop Gobbler

I must get around to brewing this recipe myself at some point.

So many brews' date=' so little time! [img']pouty[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks very much Anthony, the Hop Gobbler recipe sounds great. I am very fond of 'a popular commercial Ruby Beer' so if it turns out anything like that I'd be ecstatic! Sounds like a trip to the local home brew shop is in order for the LME, grains and hops.

Double brew day tomorrow.

I have crushed the grain today.

Recipe: SessionAle

Estimated OG: 1.045 SG

Estimated Color: 35.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 41.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.35 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (

0.10 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White)

20.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 4 32.8 IBUs

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 5 8.7 IBUs

M44 slurry

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Recipe: Hop2iT

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 25.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 64.3 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.75 kg Pilsner (Weyermann)

1.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White)

0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White)

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White)

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min

10.00 g Magnum [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20mins

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop

M44 slurry

----------------------------

Double brew day tomorrow.

I have crushed the grain today.

Recipe: SessionAle

Estimated OG: 1.045 SG

Estimated Color: 35.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 41.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.35 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (

0.10 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White)

20.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 4 32.8 IBUs

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 5 8.7 IBUs

M44 slurry

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Recipe: Hop2iT

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 25.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 64.3 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.75 kg Pilsner (Weyermann)

1.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White)

0.25 kg Wheat Malt' date=' Malt Craft (Joe White)

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White)

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %'] - First Wort 60.0 min

10.00 g Magnum [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20mins

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop

M44 slurry

----------------------------

Hey Ben

Both those recipes look really nice. What volumes are they? Is there any reason you are not using any pale ale malt in either of the recipes? When you are doing a double brew day, do you brew them at the same time or back to back?

Hi Skookum.

...Is there any reason you are not using any pale ale malt in either of the recipes?

In the first recipe Ben appears to be using the Munich as his base malt (perfectly acceptable)' date=' & in his "Hop2It" recipe he has quite a bit of pale malt actually. "...4.75 kg Pilsner (Weyermann)...".

Interesting recipes as always Ben! [img']cool[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

As always freestyling within the bounds of what I have learnt.

The Pilsner I am using because I have it, the munich as base in the other because I have not done that before.

Both 23 litres. One after the other.

Being BIAB in an Urn, minimal interaction is required so other things can be achieved at the same time.

Hi Skookum.
...Is there any reason you are not using any pale ale malt in either of the recipes?

In the first recipe Ben appears to be using the Munich as his base malt (perfectly acceptable)' date=' & in his "Hop2It" recipe he has quite a bit of pale malt actually. "...4.75 kg Pilsner (Weyermann)...".

Interesting recipes as always Ben! [img']cool[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks Lusty,

I do know what the difference between Pale ale, Pilsner, and Munich malt. In my recipes I like to mix the Munich with Pale Ale. I find that a 60/40 blend works for me. I think 100% Munich would be too much for my taste(at this point). I was just interested in Ben's thoughts.

I've brewed with Pilsner malt before but not without a mix of PA malt to help with conversion. I have also step mashed my brews with Pilsner malt for a protein rest. I do understand that Pilsner malt has trouble with conversion without PA malt (2-row) or a protein rest in a step mash.

I really just wanted to talk to Ben about his recipes to get him to tell us about his motivations about them and where he's coming from with their formulations.

Ben,

Go on you for being able to put down two AG brew back to back in one day!!cool That makes me feel inspired to do the same!smile

Some time ago I particpated in a bulk buy and bought a bag of Pilsner. I'm not sure why.

And have used it in the IPA purely because it is there.

The wheat and crystal because I like a touch, body and head retention, and the munich umm, because others do.

To ascertain further what the munich brings the other recipe comes to show me what munich is really like. The hop schedule on the IPA is pretty standard fare, and in the ale just experimenting.

The ale is done, andfrankly tastes beautiful with a nice malty flavour and and a definite hop flavour, and that used only 40g.

We will see how the conversion of the pilsner goes but I have not had any problems in the past.

Thanks for the interest.

Thanks Lusty' date='

I do know what the difference between Pale ale, Pilsner, and Munich malt. In my recipes I like to mix the Munich with Pale Ale. I find that a 60/40 blend works for me. I think 100% Munich would be too much for my taste(at this point). I was just interested in Ben's thoughts.

I've brewed with Pilsner malt before but not without a mix of PA malt to help with conversion. I have also step mashed my brews with Pilsner malt for a protein rest. I do understand that Pilsner malt has trouble with conversion without PA malt (2-row) or a protein rest in a step mash.

I really just wanted to talk to Ben about his recipes to get him to tell us about his motivations about them and where he's coming from with their formulations.

Ben,

Go on you for being able to put down two AG brew back to back in one day!![img']cool[/img] That makes me feel inspired to do the same!smile

I have made a SMASH beer - 100% Munich I and 100% Centennial. It was very tasty and all who have tasted it really liked it. I wouldn't be scared about pushing the Munich up if you so desire.

I always thought that Pilsner malt had more than enough diastatic power to self convert, especially with today's well modified pilsner malts.

As far as the brew colour goes' date=' I think the Crystal 60 is hurting the colour & is darkening it beyond the red hue your are looking for. I think Hairy wrote recently that a "less is more" approach will help with creating the desired hue. That makes a lot of sense in this scenario I reckon. [img']cool[/img]

I disagree with the Crystal 60 being the issue. It's on the lighter end of the scale for crystal malts and probably doesn't really contribute a hell of a lot of colour. My recipe uses Caraaroma which is basically a dark crystal malt, which really brings out that toffee flavour too, plus the 75g black patent.

Admittedly it looks kinda brown when you're brewing it but once it goes through fermentation and you pour a glass, it looks exactly like my avatar pic here. biggrin

As far as the brew colour goes' date=' I think the Crystal 60 is hurting the colour & is darkening it beyond the red hue your are looking for. I think Hairy wrote recently that a "less is more" approach will help with creating the desired hue. That makes a lot of sense in this scenario I reckon. [img']cool[/img]

I disagree with the Crystal 60 being the issue. It's on the lighter end of the scale for crystal malts and probably doesn't really contribute a hell of a lot of colour. My recipe uses Caraaroma which is basically a dark crystal malt, which really brings out that toffee flavour too, plus the 75g black patent.

Admittedly it looks kinda brown when you're brewing it but once it goes through fermentation and you pour a glass, it looks exactly like my avatar pic here. biggrin

Thanks Otto.

I was thinking the same thing when I designed the recipe. I was a little started by the brown colour of the wort but I can believe that the finally product will be the colour that I'm after.

Back to basics with a kits and bits, proves to myself that I'm not becoming an Anti Kit Snob and lets me get a brew in the keg while I do a Vienna Lager a Porter and a Sweet Stout.

Hush Ale

Favourite Coopers kit

Dry Extract

First time specialty grain oven steeped at 65'C for 30 minutes

A newish hop strain boiled in 8 litres

A yeast that hasn't been around long pitched into 23 litres of wort at 23'C

OG 1.040

IBU 34.4

EBC 14.3

Archived