1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.40 kg Crystal (Joe White)

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

25.00 g Millenium [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min

25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min

25.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: Rosella Wheat

Estimated OG: 1.048 SG

Estimated IBU: 16.0 IBUs

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White)

0.50 kg Wheat, Flaked

0.50 kg Wheat, Torrified

1kg Rosella Flowers (or maybe more? Probably boil them and add the liquid)

10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently have two Morgans kits brewing.

I have an Australian Blonde sitting in a 30 litre drum, which I started on 23 May having racked it after a while in the FV, and I have a Golden Saaz Pilsener in the FV, that went down on Sunday.

So I'll be checking to see the Blonde is at FG today, and consider when to bottle it, and when I do bottle it, I'll transfer the Pilsener to the drum, to free up the FV for the next batch.

Oh and both were made up with the kit yeast and 500g malt, 250 dex, 250 maltodextrin, as well as steeped with Centennial & Cascade Hops (about 20 - 30g each) - I just steeped the hops pellets in my coffee plunger and added the water in the Pilsener (right from the beginning), and added the cooled steeped water and the hops pellets in an old stocking on day 3 with the Blonde.

Not sure what the difference will be, but worth experimenting a little to see what happens.

I currently have two Morgans kits brewing.

Have you had these before? I had a Canadian IPA from Morgans once and it was not very good at all.

I may not have time to brew tomorrow so might just do a couple of Kits and Bits to fill the lonely FVs.

No I haven't done the Morgans kits before, but the LHBS reckons Morgans are pretty good, and said that Coopers actually bought them out a while ago and kept the existing recipes.

So far in my experience, so long as you add some decent quality brewing sugars, keep your temps steady and add some hops for flavour/aroma, even a pretty ordinary beer can turn out reasonably good.

I'm banking on that anyway, as the two Morgans kits (and whatever I brew next) are to keep me going whilst my European Lager matures.

I'm still really just a kits and bits brewer; and most likely will stay that way, we don't have the space for storage for larger boilers etc for grains and the like, though the LHBS does sell some promising looking home made wort that you just add yeast and time to, so that may be an option in the future.

It's a bugger to cart the bucket around and return it to get a deposit back, but a lot less work than mashing and steeping at home.

Any brew is better than drinking mega swill though; though I contend that there is a time and place for everything, and sometimes a mega swill is better than no beer at all!

Tonight I am bottling my Coopers Lager to which I have added lemons and limes as well as lemon juice ,it's my attempt at making a radler ,used the green necked lager kit and apart from the extras followed the instructions,OG was 1039 and FV came out at 1014 I'm hoping that it will produce a refreshing beer that I can put aside till the warmer weather.

Next project is to try to replicate Gage Roads Atomic Pale,I might venture into the world of malts and hops etc for that one,as an inexperienced brewer any advice about that project would be very much appreciated.smilesmile

Cheers

N'oz

Howdy Nigel

I'd love to be able to give you some help on the Atomic Guage, because experimenting with grains and hops really opened up a vast new world for me in brewing. Unfortunately I've never tried that particular beer so I have no idea what its like. However, I'm sure the ratbags, oops, I mean nice guys here who have tried it will be able to give proper advice (rather than my guesses).

I've never been around to you you before (but for you that's a blessing), so welcome to the forum. From what I've seen, it's currently Lions 2, People 4.

Howdy Nigel

I'd love to be able to give you some help on the Atomic Guage' date=' because experimenting with grains and hops really opened up a vast new world for me in brewing. Unfortunately I've never tried that particular beer so I have no idea what its like. However, I'm sure the ratbags, oops, I mean nice guys here who have tried it will be able to give proper advice (rather than my guesses).

I've never been around to you you before (but for you that's a blessing), so welcome to the forum. From what I've seen, it's currently Lions 2, People 4.[/quote']

Thanks for the welcome mate smile

I have been around for a few weeks,first brew was Coopers Ginger Beer to which I added lemons and lemon juice and the result was a brew that has a nice kick with a lemon tang that cuts the sweetness,I'm very pleased with it,2nd brew is the lager with radler overtones that I am bottling tonight,I hadn't tried that Atomic Pale myself until a friend gave me a 6 pack and I just love it so thinking about using the Coopers Pale as a base but adding something-as yet I have no idea what..I have been reading a lot of your contributions on the forum and you seem very knowledgeable on this home brewing bug thing that I have caught so I will continue to look out for your posts..

Thanks again..smile

Nigel, check out the Gage Roads website. They are one of the breweries that give a bit of a description of their beers, including the hop varieties used.

That might give you something to work with.

If you like, knock up what you think you will go with & post it on here. The more knowledgeable brewers will give you a hand if they see any glaring omissions/improvements.

Good find, Greg.

At http://www.gageroads.com.au/ they describe it as follows:

Atomic Pale Ale is a refreshing American style Pale Ale, displaying distinctive hop aroma and full malt flavour. American hops Citra, Ahtanum and Centennial are added to the kettle to deliver a robust bitterness and full flavour. Atomic is packed with hop aroma that is typical of the style. The beer is dry hopped in the fermenter which add fruity notes to the aroma, reminiscent of passionfruit and grapefruit.

Now, I'm NOT suggesting this will be close in any way (because to be honest I've never even heard of Ahtanum hops - let alone use them), but I'm wondering whether in a 23 litre batch with the APA kit, some sort of starting point may be 10 g each of Citra, Ahtanum (or something close) and Centennial for a 30 min boil, 10 g Centennial for the last 10 mins of the boil, and maybe dry hop with 20 g Citra.

I'm making this up as I go along so don't do it until some of the people more proficient in hop knowledge chime in. And thanks for pointing out that info, Greg!

Thanks so much for the suggestion Greg.smile

I should have checked out their website first,just didn't think of it.

They do give quite a bit of information about the Atomic so that will certainly be a good starting point.

Thanks again Greg.

Antiphile I will certainly keep a look out for suggestions from others,I will need to do quite a bit of research about adding hops etc as I have never used them before,it will be quite an experience but this forum is such a great resource that I'm sure I will be able to get all the information I need before I start the brew.smile

Cheers

N'oz

Nigel' date=' check out the Gage Roads website. They are one of the breweries that give a bit of a description of their beers, including the hop varieties used.

If you like, knock up what you think you will go with & post it on here. The more knowledgeable brewers will give you a hand if they see any glaring omissions/improvements.[/quote']

Yo could try emailing them. Someone else on here emailed them about one of their limited edition beers and was given a recipe.

On the homebrewstuff.com website it states that Ahtanum hops are an aroma hops with a floral characteristic.

Substitutes include Cascade & Amarillo.

That is probably right. I have never researched it but after tasting it a few times I always thought it was hopped with Cascade.

On the homebrewstuff.com website it states that Ahtanum hops are an aroma hops with a floral characteristic.

Substitutes include Cascade & Amarillo.

That is probably right. I have never researched it but after tasting it a few times I always thought it was hopped with Cascade.

Funny that because their Wiki page says "Atomic Pale Ale (4.7% alc/vol), an American style Pale Ale, brewed with ?Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Citra hops. It was first released in October 2010.",sounds like the recipe has changed recently.

Cheers

N'oz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gage_Roads_Brewing_Company

Nigel' date=' check out the Gage Roads website. They are one of the breweries that give a bit of a description of their beers, including the hop varieties used.

If you like, knock up what you think you will go with & post it on here. The more knowledgeable brewers will give you a hand if they see any glaring omissions/improvements.[/quote']

Yo could try emailing them. Someone else on here emailed them about one of their limited edition beers and was given a recipe.

That's a good idea Hairy,I might just do that tomorrow..smile

Cheers

N'oz

Brew Day tomorrow.

Recipe: Stink Eye IPA

Estimated OG: 1.072 SG

Estimated Color: 19.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 73.4 IBUs

------------

6.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.40 kg Crystal (Joe White)

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

25.00 g Millenium [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min

25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min

25.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] -

hey Ben

If you like brewing two brew two beers on one brew day you should think about doing a partigyle with this big IPA of yours. If you have never heard of this technique then check it out or if you wait a bit I'm sure lusty will explain the method in detail. I can't myself as I have to run to work.

Hi Ben.

If you like brewing two brew two beers on one brew day you should think about doing a partigyle with this big IPA of yours. If you have never heard of this technique then check it out or if you wait a bit I'm sure lusty will explain the method in detail. I can't myself as I have to run to work.

My understanding of "partigyling" in brewing is simply using a second runnings from a primary grain mash that is of a high original gravity' date=' to produce part of, or all of, the liquid wort for a secondary brew being a mid-strength brew of sorts using the malt flavours produced from the grain bill of the original higher gravity brew as it's base.

(I hope that explains it OK Chad/Philbo? [img']unsure[/img])

It is a useful technique to have at your disposal, particularly if cost & time cutting is a concern for you with your brewing (IMHO). There are undoubtedly other benefits, but I admit I don't use the practice with my extract/partial brewing to fully understand all of them beyond the ones I mentioned.

Chad has mentioned using these second runnings for use with his yeast starters as well. cool

Beyond my knowledge of how the procedure works, I'll leave explaining all the technical stuff to Chad, Philbo & wiser others who understand the practical application(s) of the technique far better than I do.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Well two days off just isn't enough.

Waimea Sparkling

TC Sparkling

1kg DME

300g Dex

300g Crystal

60 Waimea

Schedule 20 @ 10, Steep and Dry

US 05

IBU 42

OG 1050

Brown Dog (variation)

Coopers Dark Ale

300g Crystal

Can LME

500g DME

40g El Dorado

20g Citra

Schedule 20 El @ 5

20 El Steep

20 Citra Dry Hop

Ibu 41.5

OG 1052

M44

Dry Stout today:

24L, 1.049, 50IBU

4.3kg BB Ale Malt

0.55kg Roast Barley

0.55kg Wheat Malt

Mash @ 65-66c

68g Northern Brewer FWH (been wanting to use this up for a while)

25g Target @ whirlpool

Will ferment at around 21-24 with 1275 Thames Valley Ale and prime @ 4g/L

Quite looking forward to this one actually. happy

To my dear Purveyor of fine ales, P2

That sounds very Birdy Num Num. I've never used Northern Brewer or Target but it sounds mouth watering. I know you have a big day ahead of you so I won't bother with my address at the moment. But when it's all ready to drink, there's no need to send any more than a carton of it for appraisal/critique purposes.

I'm sure you don't mind me being so forward 'cos it's probably too embarrassing for you to openly offer me some for fear some of the freeloaders here might want some too. innocentinnocent

lollollol

I've never used NB either, I've just had it in my stash for a while. I've read that it's okay in ESB, so figure it'll be okay in stout too.

Target is yummy. T'was Hairy that put me onto it actually.

Hey, just curious, has anyone here sent beer in glass through the mail before? unsure

Archived