Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

I have bastardised a few of Cooper's IPA recipes (hence the title).

I thought it was because "you knew nothing". wink

crying

Haha well played. It was from the Hop Slam recipe but I will take your advice on board and do a 10 minute boil of 15 g or so that way I can still do my standard 30 g dry hop. Thanks gents.

(PS SPOILER ALERT: that wildling knew nothing about the arrow heading her way the other night).

The IPA kit is a very forward flavoured & bittered kit. I personally would have just dry hopped all of the motueka as per the Slam IPA recipe & as you originally intended ICzed. Otherwise you're just fighting those forward flavours & adding unnecessary bitterness to the brew. Good IPA's have great aromatics. The Coopers IPA will give you great flavour & firm bitterness for the style' date=' so I enjoy the fact that I can primarily play around with the aromatics when brewing with it. [img']cool[/img]

Each to their own though, & good luck with the brew. wink

Anthony.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each to their own though' date=' & good luck with the brew. [img']wink[/img]

And each to their own.

I myself love the kit but have upped the IBUs in the past and it makes for a cracker of a heavily hopped, very bitter beer.

MO Top Up

0.5kg Maris Otter

Batch size 1/2 Litre

Oven Mash in 1.3 litres of water at 69 degrees for 45 minutes

Batch Sparge at 75 degrees

Boil to down to 1/2litre

Then add to yesterdays 60 cent brew pinched

Next time I need to exercise caution when brewing a low ABV brew, remembering I am only a beginner and my efficiency is variable at best.

Pitched the yeast yesterday into an 1.26 SG Wort. Was going to see how it panned out, considered adding sugar or LDM post ferment but have decided on a top up batch now before a Krausen is formed.

The things we do for Beer

Scottie

Each to their own though' date=' & good luck with the brew. [img']wink[/img]

And each to their own.

I myself love the kit but have upped the IBUs in the past and it makes for a cracker of a heavily hopped, very bitter beer.

Ended up doing the 10 min simmer with 15g & dumping in the other 30 g straight after the yeast. I'll let you all know how it turns out. The aroma of the fresh Motueka pellets was very promising. I'm pretty excited. Thanks everyone love

Made a simple wheat beer a few nights ago, TC wheat kit, 1.5kg wheat dry malt, 2 packs of wheat kit yeast and up to 22 liters. Today I added 1.5kg strawberries. I'm not expecting miracles, but will be fun to see how it turns out :)

Oh by the way, is there any way of knowing how much alcohol the strawberries will add?

Morning all

One of the weekend jobs was getting a slab put down for the new shed - wasn't bad as I had 3 hearty chaps doing all the work for the service of humanity and a few hundred dollars. (Peter, Daniel and Lance, as it turns out.)

They were building the foundation for the new brew shed, so I gave them a couple of last year's Russian Imperials. If you're out there, I hope they worked for you fellas! They do for me on a chilly night by the footy!

This year's vintage is coming up for 4 weeks in the FV, temperature around 15 C.

Cheers,

Mike

Today, Im brewing a recipe which "Valley Brew" posted in another thread.

Doing "almost" exactly to his recipe, only difference is I'm using US-05 instead of Wyeast 1332.

Atlantic Pale Ale (21 litres)

1.5 kg Light Malt Extract

1.5kg Wheat Malt Extract

250g Carahell (30 Minute Steep)

20g Galaxy@ 40 mins

15g Galaxy @ 25 mins

15g Galaxy @12mins

15g Galaxy day 5 Dry Hop

US-05

OG: 1.046

Expected FG: 1014

Alc: 4.6%

Cheers

Guzz

G'day put on a Fruit Salad Ale' date=' just like this here..., Ok I did do a small 10 boil with the hops (50g) & will add 15g of each dry. wink

Cheers.

The Fruit Salad Ale is very very good and such a simple recipe.

When I made mine, I too changed the recipe a little.

I used ONLY Amarillo Hops - 60 gms (no cascade as the recipe wanted).

Drinking one right now, 35 days in the bottle and I am really liking this beer.

There is a flavour here I am really enjoying, must be the Amarillo.

Im definately making this beer again.

Cheers

Guzz

The Fruit Salad Ale is very very good and such a simple recipe.

When I made mine' date=' I too changed the recipe a little.

I used ONLY Amarillo Hops - 60 gms (no cascade as the recipe wanted).

Drinking one right now, 35 days in the bottle and I am [b']really[/b] liking this beer.

There is a flavour here I am really enjoying, must be the Amarillo.

Im definately making this beer again.

Cheers

Guzz

G'day Guzz, Spot on mate, nice simple tasty beer for me, it will be a regular for some time. wink

Today I put on a Hop Gobbler as per this Hop Gobbler..., used Mangrove Jack yeast M79 Burton Union, good smell and taste to the hydrometer sample, should be interesting when finished. smile

Cheers.

I put down a kit my wife got me for my birthday. In the FV cooling down to fermentation temps now.

1.7 kg Mangrove Jack's Belgian Lager

1 kg Beer Enhancer 40 (The LHBS's "Crown Lager coverter kit" DME, dex, maltodex, hops)

200g BE1

200g Crystal Grain (200)

Saflager 34/70 x2 rehydrated

22L

I wouldn't normally by a "converter kit" but the better half didn't know what to get in the LHBS and the guy wasn't much help. It's disappointing that the converter kit comes up short on ABV of the beer it is supposed to emulate. Crown is at 4.9% ABV and the tin + converter would be approx 4.1% it is well short of the ABV for the style. So I added BE1 to boost the ABV to about 4.6%. The converter kit says it has Australian aroma hops in it. I did a 5 min boil. I could not detect any hop aroma of note, I dare say there isn't much in the mix. I had to guess at quantities of the ingredients, but I am sure I am not far off due to the OG and the spreadsheet prediction.

Anyway, I'll see how it turns out. I'll say its awesome so SHMBO buys home brew stuff more often.

I am going to wash the yeast from this and re-use it straight away on a Coopers European Lager. I will tweak a recipe I tried before. The ambient temps are too low to brew ales without a heater and that I don't have, nor an STC1000. But I find I can manually control the fridge to maintain temps when I need to cool.

Today I put on a Hop Gobbler as per this Hop Gobbler...' date=' used Mangrove Jack yeast M79 Burton Union, good smell and taste to the hydrometer sample, should be interesting when finished. [img']smile[/img]

Hope your Hop Gobbler turns out well! I've had mine in the bottle for about 2 weeks now - the temp's lower than optimal here in Canberra winter so they are carbonating very slowly, but the final samples at bottling tasted great.

I'm putting my Celebration Ale recipe pack on tonight. I was thinking about buying a case of the commercial version to add to my ESVA / Pale / Sparkling stocks but decided to make my own instead when I saw the recipe pack online in the new store. Can't argue with double the volume for a cheaper price + the satisfaction of having a hand in the process!

I'm brewing 16L of unbittered wort to patch up my over bittered stout from a few weeks ago.

Just:

80% Maris Otter

10% Wheat

10% Various roasted grains that I have lying around.

In the interests of a faster brew day I am trying full-volume, no-sparge for this batch. I've dialled back my efficiency to account for lack of a sparge, but I have heard of people getting great results with this technique.

Hey Phil' date='

How are blending the two brews? Have you already bottle the bitter stout?[/quote']

Haven't bottled or fermented it yet mate. I think I'll ferment the first one, rack it, then ferment the next one on the cake.

Blend at bottling time when I bulk prime.

Road rash red ale

350g crystal

500g dark dme

500g light dme from coopers

30g fuggles @60mins

30g fuggles @ 20mins

20g Amarillo @20mins

10g Amarillo @fo

Amber malt extract

250g dextrose

21 litres

Mangrove jack burton Union yeast which was a spur of the moment choice

Got the colour bang on which was a nice surprise

Put it down last night and it's not looking like any things happening in there. The yeast was quite old from lhbs so I'm wondering if that might be the problem.

Brew Day!!

Honey Brown Ale

7.5Kg Pale Ale Malt

.8 Kg Honey Malt

.6 Kg Chocolate Malt

10g Magnum (60mins)

10g Chinook (40mins)

10g Amarillo (0mins)

10g Cascade (0mins)

10g Simcoe (0mins)

1 Whirlfloc tab

42L

WLP090/US-05 (I plan to ferment half the batch now with the San Diego Super yeast and keep the second cube for a later date and ferment it with what ever yeast I choose).

Mashed @ 67C, No-chill, IBU 25, OG 1.055

My brew house efficiency was 87%!!w00tw00t. My new setup seems to be a lot more efficient. Still working out the adjustments!

Hmmm' date=' what to brew this week?

[/quote']

A bitter with Mangrove Jack's Burton Union Yeast.

Recipe: Winter Bitter

Style: English Best Bitter

Estimated OG: 1.040 SG

Estimated Color: 20.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 33.6 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)

0.25 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC)

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)

10.00 g Millenium [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min

50.00 g Fuggles [4.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min

25.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I enjoyed the original so much here is take 2.

Recipe: Hop2iT II

Style: American IPA

Estimated OG: 1.065 SG

Estimated Color: 17.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 64.0 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.75 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)

1.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)

0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC)

0.25 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC)

0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White)

15.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min

15.00 g Millenium [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0

20.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20

20.00 g Waimea [16.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

20.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

20.00 g Waimea [16.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived