------------

4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 90.9 %

0.30 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 6.1 %

0.15 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3 3.0 %

10.00 g Millenium [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 14.5 IBUs

20.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 11.5 IBUs

20.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 6.3 IBUs

1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [ Yeast 7 -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And then Ben10, your mission (if you choose to accept it) can be Brew 3: Coopers ESVA 2010 unsure

Style: 19A Old Ale

Estimated OG: 1.070 SG

Estimated Color: 44 EBC

Estimated IBU: 41 IBUs

Estimated ABV: 7.6%

Knockout: 23 Litres

Grain Weight %ofExtract

Pale Ale 5.33 kgs 72.6%

Light/Pale Crystal Malt 0.50 kgs 5.8%

Black Patent Malt 0.067 kgs 0.7%

Sucrose 0.949 kgs 20.9%

Mash at 67C for 120 mins (no, that's not a typo); mash out at 78C for 10 mins.

POR 54g @ 120 mins, Nelson Sauvin 15g @ 5mins, Nelson Sauvin 15g dry hopped.

2 x S-04 or 2 x Nottingham yeast.

Makes for a long brew day (2 hrs mash, 2 hrs boil), but looks mouth watering to me. The 2011 and 2012 ESVAs have multi step mashes :(

Cheers

...Nice hop schedule on the IPA. cool Simcoe is very smooth when used for bittering. Let us know how it turns out. I'll be interested in your take of the bitterness once it's in the glass.

No need to worry about the Victory Malt grain' date=' it only needs to be steeped, so it'll be fine. [img']wink[/img].....

So I am about 3 seconds away from kegging this brew. I put it into the hydrometer vessel and wow, the smell was divine. I tasted the sample and it is just delicious! It's looking good to be a cracker brew!cool

Ok after my wife giving me crap about 1% of my brews being palatable to her exquisite taste buds (somehow 1/4 = 1% in her warped maths lol!) I put down a stout that she should love. I'm aiming for a slightly sweeter and richer style than the kit I'm using.

Recipe was:

• 1 x Thomas Coopers Irish Stout 1.7kg
  • 1 x Coopers dark liquid malt extract 1.5kg
  • 300g choc malt + 200g dark crystal malt steeped for 30min @ 65 - 70C then sparged with a couple of litres of water off the boil
  • 25g Fuggles for a 15min boil with 1/3 can LME + steeped grain liquid

Resulted in beatiful roasty kitchen + a lot of washing up and an OG of 1047 @21L volume. My heat pad and fermenter jacket (thank you AussieBrewMakers.com.au - man it's hard to find a fermenter jacket to fit the Coopers DIY fermenter) arrived yesterday so everything will be set to a toasty controlled 21C as per the Coopers English Stout recipe.

I now have my heat pad and brew belt linked up to a powerboard with a temp controller for simultaneous bottle carbonation and primary fermentation. The temp probe is on the fermenter below the heat belt level which means the bottles carbonating will probably be slightly under temp due to the temp increases affecting the probe due to the exothermic nature of fermentation but it should be good enough (and Canberra ambient temps are bloody freezing these days so it will at least be better than that!). If only I liked lagers - my fermenter has been sitting for a couple of weeks filled with sanitizer in the sunroom at an average temperature of 12 degrees.

G'day brewers, put on another Fruit Salad Ale today with a slight hop tweak due to hops on hand. Vic Secret, Motueka and will dry hop with Amarillo and Cascade, I hope it will all work out, hopes are high. wink

Cheers.

Magnaman, are you using the re-activated CCA yeast for the brew? unsure

Bazzak, Once your IPA is carbed up & on the pour, let me know what you think of that bitterness level. wink

Porschemad, on your Avatar pic...I've noticed in most of the pictures I've seen of Canberrians (Is that the correct pronunciation? unsure), that when multiple people are photographed they seem more closely huddled together than those in other Australian states. I'm guessing the reason for this is to keep warm? biggrin

Cheers & good luck with each of your brews guys. wink

Anthony.

Purchased my second Coopers Euro Lager can today.

I also got a bag of the LHBS's Ultra pack brewing sugar (500g Malt, 250 Dextrose, 250 Maltodextrin), some Saflager S23 and a 15g hop bag of Hallertau.

The difference with this batch to my first batch of Euro Lager is the yeast and the hops; last time I just used the yeast that came with the can, and I went with Cascade and Centennial, as I had 2 x 50g jars of them sitting in the fridge.

It's not exactly brew day today, but I'll be putting it all together in the next few days, about the same time as I bottle my first batch of Heritage Lager.

Having tasted the Euro Lager it's a pretty good drop, and I'm sure my minor changes (with the assistance of Dave from my LHBS) will only make this batch better.

Thinking of putting down this one tonight, be happy for comments on the hop schedule...I do like a hoppy beer, I guess this would be an APA/AIPA...

3kg LME

250g Crystal 60

250g Victory

50g CaraPils (May as well use them up)

500g Dextrose (to up the alc a bit)

Magnum 20g @ 60

Cascade 20g @ 15

Citra 20g @ 3

Dry hop 20g each of Citra and Cascade

US-05 or BRY-97 ( I know many don't like it, but I've had nothing but good results)

OG - 1.059

FG - 1.013

Alc % ~6.3, EBC ~17.2, IBU ~48.4

I have got some Mozaic as well, which could probably also work well in a dry hop, not sure. I am also wondering if I should up the LME a bit to give it a stronger malt taste to go with the IBUs. Any suggestions/criticisms?

Thanks!

Adam

Porschemad' date=' on your Avatar pic...I've noticed in most of the pictures I've seen of Canberrians (Is that the correct pronunciation? [img']unsure[/img]), that when multiple people are photographed they seem more closely huddled together than those in other Australian states. I'm guessing the reason for this is to keep warm? biggrin

Haha good point ... it was winter when that photo was taken. I remember sharing a couple of warming pints of Guinness not long after as well. For all my failings apparently I do alright as a hot water bottle!

Speaking of failings, have I royally stuffed my stout brew up? Turns out my 2 x kit yeast are not identical. One is a combination of ale and lager yeast from a TC Traditional Draught can and the other was the ale yeast from the TC Irish Stout can. I'm fermenting at 20C ... will the lager yeast portion produce some kind of strange-tasting "steam stout"?

Don't worry one little bit mate. The ale+lager blend is fine at 20. It's a dark beer too, so even more room for error. The only thing you may notice is the eggy smell during ferment. That will disappear pretty soon after bottling.

Will be a cracker of a beer.

T

OG - 1.059

FG - 1.013

Alc % ~6.3' date=' EBC ~17.2, IBU ~48.4

I am also wondering if I should up the LME a bit to give it a stronger malt taste to go with the IBUs. Any suggestions/criticisms?

[/quote']

You probably made this already, but I wouldn't worry about upping the malt content.

Plenty vs the IBUs, if anything I would have upped the hoppage.

Looks like a good brew.

T

OG - 1.059

FG - 1.013

Alc % ~6.3' date=' EBC ~17.2, IBU ~48.4

I am also wondering if I should up the LME a bit to give it a stronger malt taste to go with the IBUs. Any suggestions/criticisms?

[/quote']

You probably made this already, but I wouldn't worry about upping the malt content.

Plenty vs the IBUs, if anything I would have upped the hoppage.

Looks like a good brew.

No I haven't made it yet, probably doing it tonight. What sort of changes to the hop schedule were you thinking mate?

Bazza

Do not follow this advice, wait for Ben or another smart-alec that knows how to devise recipe schedules to advise. However, I just wanted to put my vote in the pool to see how close I might have got to a drinkably-balanced beer.

Magnum (Lovely bittering) I reckon up it to 30g @60

Cascade and Citra (both great flavouring) I'd guess drop both 20g lots in @15 (though I'd probably do them @20 mins).

Keep your dry hopping as is.

I bet the clever ones have better ideas, but I'll be interested to see if I'm anywhere close to their thought processes.rolleyes

Edit added: 2:45 pm. Whoa. I just plugged in my figures and that's a hop bomb waiting to go off - I hope you like puckered lips. IBU 66.5 even with only 15 min additions. Dropping back the magnum to your proposed 20g is still 51.2. Maybe I need to reiterate you should not follow my suggestions!

Edit added: 2:45 pm. Whoa. I just plugged in my figures and that's a hop bomb waiting to go off - I hope you like puckered lips. IBU 66.5 even with only 15 min additions. Dropping back the magnum to your proposed 20g is still 51.2. Maybe I need to reiterate you should not follow my suggestions!

HAHAHA!

I was about to reply when I saw your edit. My numbers for your suggestions put me up around 70IBUs!

I figured that Ben was going to suggest some more / bigger late additions. I shall wait for his wisdom!

Adam

Can't really say it is wisdom, but thanks for the very kind words.

I'd go 20 C+C @ 10, 5 and dry hop.

Not running the numbers - just did - 58ish IBUs and a mouth full of taste.

I have used that kind of schedule a bit on IPA brews and I love it.

Can't really say it is wisdom' date=' but thanks for the very kind words.

I'd go 20 C+C @ 10, 5 and dry hop.

Not running the numbers - just did - 58ish IBUs and a mouth full of taste.

I have used that kind of schedule a bit on IPA brews and I love it.[/quote']

Thanks Ben,

I love IPAs, and I get ~62IBUs with those changes, so this is pretty much bang on where it should be. I am just about to go and put this down, so I'll report back on the results at some point. Thanks again for the ideas.

After some tweaking I put this down last night:

3.4 kg Blackrock Ultra Light LME

250g Crystal 60

250g Victory

50g CaraPils

500g Dextrose

20g Magnum @ 60

20g Citra & 20g Cascade @ 15

20g Citra & 20g Cascade @ 5

25g Citra & 25g Cascade Dry Hop

I haven't got my numbers with me, but I think I was looking at around 1.061 SG and around 62 IBUs. It smelt good as they always do, I am looking forward to this one, think it will be a nice drop. It's supposed to be an American Style IPA

Adam

Simcoe 20g @ 60

Simcoe 25g @ 15

Cascade 25g @ 3

Amarillo 25g @ 2

Simcoe 25g @ 1

Simcoe 20g dry hop

Amarillo 30g dry hop

Bazzak' date=' Once your IPA is carbed up & on the pour, let me know what you think of that bitterness level. [img']wink[/img]

Lusty! I just poured one of these...wow, it's delicious. The bitterness is VERY smooth, and the aroma and taste are quite fruity. I am not a great one at describing tastes, but I'd say it's got quite a rock melon flavour to it. I'll give it a couple of weeks in the keg before it comes online fully, but I might just sneak another one because love

Hi Bazzak.

Lusty! I just poured one of these...wow' date=' it's delicious. The bitterness is VERY smooth, and the aroma and taste are quite fruity. I am not a great one at describing tastes, but I'd say it's got quite a rock melon flavour to it. I'll give it a couple of weeks in the keg before it comes online fully, but I might just sneak another one because [img']love[/img]

Congrats on the brew! cool

The hops you used along with that hop schedule was always going to produce a lovely hoppy, fruity beer. How do I know this? Because I brewed a very similar hopped beer last year.

My schedule was...

Simcoe 20gms @ 60mins

Cascade 25gms @ 30mins

Cascade 25gms @ 15mins

Amarillo 20gms & Simcoe 10gms @ flameout

Cascade 20gms & Centennial 10gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

You run that schedule through any brewing calculator fermented to 23 litres, & it will spit out approx. 49 IBU. To most that is an IPA like figure. However this is where the numbers start to lie a bit. My recipe was for an APA, & that is exactly how it drank. Because of how smooth Simcoe is, it drank more like a mid to high 30's IBU beer.

This is why I inquired about the bitterness of the beer when you had a chance to drink it. You semi-confirmed that by stating how smooth it is. Would I be fair in saying it drinks more like an APA than an IPA? unsure

I know you're gonna love drinking that beer. I know I did! love

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Would I be fair in saying it drinks more like an APA than an IPA?

1 million percent!

It drinks very much like an APA, which is fine with me! I am pretty sure I'll be making this one again!

Brew day today!

I've got a few leftover grains & hops that needed to be used up. I didn't feel like a long brew day either, but still wanted something BIG on flavour. What better than a 'kits & bits' IPA?! biggrin

Bits & Pieces IPA:

Coopers Real Ale 1.7kg

Briess Golden Light LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 520gms

Dextrose 100gms

Medium Crystal grain 150gms

Caramunich III grain 150gms

CaraPils grain 100gms

American Oak Chips 30gms

Cascade 10gms @ 15mins

East Kent Golding 10gms @ 15mins

Columbus 20gms @ 5mins

Columbus 10gms @ flameout

Willamette 10gms @ flameout

Centennial 10gms @ flameout

Columbus 25gms dry hopped

Centennial 25gms dry hopped

US-05 + kit yeast fermented @ 18-20°C

Brewed to 23 litres

OG = approx. 1.058

FG = approx. 1.015

EBC = 24.2

IBU = 54.5

Bottled ABV = approx. 6.0%

I'll be interested to see if this "piney" character that is said to come from late & dry hopping the Columbus rings true. It should go well with the Real Ale kit. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Damn Lusty, you love your crystal! Although with the IBUs in the 50s it probably works.

A simple, lightly hopped pale ale for a friend today.

Grains: 66c mash for 90 mins

3kg BB Ale

1kg Weyermann Munich I

300g Weyermann Pale Wheat

200g Medium Crystal

Hops:

15g Centennial FWH

15g Centennial & 15g Mosaic @ flameout

5g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 min

5g BrewBrite @ 10 min

I'll probably ferment it at 18c with US-05. It's lower than I usually ferment a hoppy pale, but with only a small amount of hops in this brew I reckon it'll be worth keeping it a bit cleaner.

Archived