Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Ha ha ha' date=' to me that seems like a lot of effort, and about all I am prepared to do with my commitments,

[/quote']

You'll find if you ever venture to AG brewing when you get it down it can be amazingly easy all fit in with your day.

I can make 2 brews - 50 litres - and still take the kids to school, go mountain bike riding, go out to lunch, pick the kids up, make dinner...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha ha' date=' to me that seems like a lot of effort, and about all I am prepared to do with my commitments,

[/quote']

You'll find if you ever venture to AG brewing when you get it down it can be amazingly easy all fit in with your day.

I can make 2 brews - 50 litres - and still take the kids to school, go mountain bike riding, go out to lunch, pick the kids up, make dinner...

Hey Tennyson

I am going to need some tips from you. On Monday's Brew Day I had every intention of doing some study in between steps. Yet I was so busy flying about for a full 4.5 hours I didn't even touch a text book. Having another go on Friday.

Cheers

Scottie

Brewing again in an effort to get in front.

Brierley Hill Bitter

2.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 55.6 %

0.80 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2 22.2 %

0.40 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 3 11.1 %

0.20 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 4 5.6 %

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 5 5.6 %

15.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 22.5 IBUs

20.00 g Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 7.4 IBUs

20.00 g Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Windsor Yeast

Mashed at 66 degrees, single infusion with batch sparge. Wort Chilled to ?? with Plate Chiller yeats pitched into wort of ?? SG.

Cheers

Scottie

Hey Hairy

Yes they are Crown Urns, much cheaper that 40 litres SS pots too. I replaced the tap on the Kettle myself but the HLT still has the original, I need to buy a pump then I will fit a ball valve. For the moment it's a manual process.

Cheers

Scottie

It is looking like horrible weather for outside brewing in Sydney this weekend so I am dragging out the small mash tun and doing a half batch on the stove. Plus I only want a half batch of this beer.

Pumpkin Ale

2.8kg Pale Ale malt

380g Munich I malt

30g Melanoidin malt

250g Dark Brown Sugar

300g Roasted & caramelised Pumpkin

3g Cinnamon @ flameout

3g Coriander @ flameout

3g Nutmeg @ flameout

13g Magnum @ 60 minutes

15g Motueka @ flameout

Safbrew T-58 yeast

12 litres

OG - 1067

IBU - 38

Mash at 68 degrees

It should be perfect for drinking by Halloween wink

Pumpkin Ale

2.8kg Pale Ale malt

380g Munich I malt

30g Melanoidin malt

250g Dark Brown Sugar

300g Roast Pumpkin

3g Cinnamon @ flameout

3g Coriander @ flameout

3g Nutmeg @ flameout

13g Magnum @ 60 minutes

15g Motueka @ flameout

Safbrew T-58 yeast

12 litres

OG - 1067

IBU - 38

Mash at 68 degrees

Indeed it will be. wink

Is this what you do with yourself while mum & the kids are out 'trick or treating'? unsure

Or is this the 'trick' you give to the kids that fail the two hand test for your own amusement? unsure

A Happy Halloween for Hairy either way! lol

Cheers,

Anthony.

Been a long time coming this brewday. I'm sick to death of all the hassle which comes with dry hopping, so I'm just going to make my flame out addition count.

APA

1.050, 37IBU

4kg BB Ale

1kg Wey-Munich

300g Wey-Pale Wheat

200g Carabohemian

15g Citra FWH

15g NZ Cascade FWH

75g NZ Cascade F/O

Mash at 65C

Should be okay. It's been a while since I used Cascade.

Been a long time coming this brewday. I'm sick to death of all the hassle which comes with dry hopping' date=' so I'm just going to make my flame out addition count.

APA

1.050, 37IBU

4kg BB Ale

1kg Wey-Munich

300g Wey-Pale Wheat

200g Carabohemian

15g Citra FWH

15g NZ Cascade FWH

75g NZ Cascade F/O

Mash at 65C

Should be okay. It's been a while since I used Cascade.[/quote']

75g, nice one Phil devil

I have never used NZ Cascade; how does it compare to US Cascade?

And my pumpkin is roasting in the oven w00t

Brew day today! happy

Just a tweaked version of my Mosaic Amber Ale today. Brewed with another grain added in, & an increased volume to maintain ABV%.

Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 350gms

Victory Malt grain 250gms

Chocolate Malt grain (1200) 100gms

CaraHell 200gms

Mashed/steeped @ 68°C for 75mins

6 litre hop boil:

Centennial 15gms @ 60mins

Mosaic 10gms @ 20mins

Mosaic 5gms @ 10mins

Mosaic 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Mosaic 20gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

1 litre starter of Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

Fermented @ 19-20°C

Brewed to 23 litres

EBC = approx. 36.2

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.7%

IBU = approx. 29.1

This will be the last caramel malt flavoured beer for while. As Spring is not far away, time to start making my pales a bit paler & cleaner. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Yesterday put down brew #6 - an English style pale ale:

• Coopers Australian Pale Ale tin
  • 500g Coopers LME
  • 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer #2
  • 300g dark crystal
  • 55g EKG + 20g Fuggles
  • 2 x kit yeast

Method:

• Rehydrate both kit yeast
  • Submerge Coopers kit in hot water
  • Steep grains at 65-70C for 30 mins
  • Strain and sparge into pot, fill up to 6 litres for boil
  • Meanwhile drain sanitizer and rinse FV, soak collar and lid in sanitizer, rinse and reassemble
  • 15g EKG + 10g Fuggles @30 mins
  • 15g EKG + 10g Fuggles @10 mins
  • 25g EKG @0 mins - rest for 20 mins with the lid on
  • Stir in Coopers kit and BE2
  • Pour / splash into FV, top up with cold tap water to 23 litres
  • Pitch rehydrated yeast @ 21C

OG ended up at 1.045. Took me probably 2 hours including all the cleanup, a bit longer than I had hoped! Colour looks exactly like what I'm after in the FV though.

It is looking like horrible weather for outside brewing in Sydney this weekend so I am dragging out the small mash tun and doing a half batch on the stove. Plus I only want a half batch of this beer.

Pumpkin Ale

2.8kg Pale Ale malt

380g Munich I malt

30g Melanoidin malt

250g Dark Brown Sugar

300g Roasted and caramelised Pumpkin

3g Cinnamon @ flameout

3g Coriander @ flameout

3g Nutmeg @ flameout

13g Magnum @ 60 minutes

15g Motueka @ flameout

Safbrew T-58 yeast

12 litres

OG - 1067

IBU - 38

Mash at 68 degrees

I think I may have over-done the spices. A word of warning for the new players of spice out there; a little goes a long way. Hopefully it reduces a bit during fermentation and calms down over time.

And after waiting for the wort to cool in an ice bath' date=' it ended up taking just as long to brew this half batch as it does to brew a full batch of no-chill wort. Same effort for half the result [img']pinched[/img]

Hi Hairy.

I think I may have over-done the spices. A word of warning for the new players of spice out there; a little goes a long way. Hopefully it reduces a bit during fermentation and calms down over time.

Sorry to hear your Pumpkin Ale (at this early point) appears a bit too spicy. I wouldn't judge it until it's fermented out though. Worst case scenario' date=' just brew a small hopped/non spiced version of the recipe & blend it at a later date.

And after waiting for the wort to cool in an ice bath, it ended up taking just as long to brew this half batch as it does to brew a full batch of no-chill wort. Same effort for half the result pinched

...& the glass half full version is you now have a brew fermenting away instead of one sitting in a cube chillin'. biggrin

Good luck with it Hairy.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Brew Day!!

I put down a Pale ale today for my friends up come wedding party. This one was to be the light, easy drinker for the folks that don't like it too hoppy or too dark. Well I kinda' dropped the ball on this one. It turned out too light which in turn will make it too hoppy and out of balance. I wonder if it was the Pilsner malt that didnt convert like I was expecting it to.unsure

I have been trying to sort out my brew house efficiency since switching to a 10 gallon brewery. I'm still tweeking the boil off rate and mash efficiency with every brew. It would seem that my Boil off rate is around 8% and my mash efficy. has been up around 85%! Until today's brew. Today the mash efficy. tanked and was down to 76%annoyed. I was expecting an OG of 1.047ish and ended up with 1.042. This low OG coupled with an IBU of 33ish throws the balance of this brew way out of wack. This is not too big of a problem if I am brewing for myself, but when I`m brew for 200+ people it really sucks.rolleyes.

Oh well, it`s in the cubes not wait to be fermented in a day or so. I might throw some DME at it on ferment day to balance things out a little. 500g per 21L should do the trick. I hopeunsure.

Love Fest Pale Ale

4.0Kg Pilsner Malt

3.0Kg Pale malt

.33Kg Crystal 40L

.175Kg Crystal 60L

15g Hallertau 4.2% (FWH)

25g Magnum 12.5% (60mins)

20g Perle 4.2% (0mins)

20g Hallertau (0mins)

42L

US-05/WLP090

Brewhouse Efficiency 76% IBU 33 OG 1.042 FG 1.010ish Mashed at 66C

This one was to be the light' date=' easy drinker for the folks that don't like it too hoppy or too dark. Well I kinda' dropped the ball on this one. It turned out too light which in turn will make it too hoppy and out of balance.[/quote']

By light, do you mean gravity-wise or colour-wise? It's making me think I'll need to adjust my Sauvignon Blager ...

This one was to be the light' date=' easy drinker for the folks that don't like it too hoppy or too dark. Well I kinda' dropped the ball on this one. It turned out too light which in turn will make it too hoppy and out of balance.[/quote']

By light, do you mean gravity-wise or colour-wise? It's making me think I'll need to adjust my Sauvignon Blager ...

I mean low gravity. It`s too low a`gravity for the amount of bitterness. It`s out of balance.

BTW, I like your brainstorming with your Sauvignon Blager. I am sure that the combination of the Nelson Sauvin and the Oak is what makes the Big Island IPA a winner.

So when considering gravity and bitterness, how do simple sugars factor into the equation?

The reason I've started asking questions is that my Blager has a only a moderate OG and a lot of that is simple sugar, so if you start talking about malt balance then does the sugar pretty much count for nothing?

So when considering gravity and bitterness' date=' how do simple sugars factor into the equation?

The reason I've started asking questions is that my Blager has a only a moderate OG and a lot of that is simple sugar, so if you start talking about malt balance then does the sugar pretty much count for nothing?[/quote']

Yes. I would say simple sugars contribute nothing to the balance of the brew.

So when considering gravity and bitterness' date=' how do simple sugars factor into the equation?

The reason I've started asking questions is that my Blager has a only a moderate OG and a lot of that is simple sugar, so if you start talking about malt balance then does the sugar pretty much count for nothing?[/quote']

Yes. I would say simple sugars contribute nothing to the balance of the brew.

That isn't entirely true. Simple sugars can aid you in increasing OG but maintaining a similar FG. This may actually aid you (if used correctly) if you require that to balance the beer.

Archived