Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

A nice simple recipe for me today - though my efficiency was well down. I'm trying to find the best width for the mill rollers (and after a stuck sparge last time I think I've badly overcompensated). At least I'm getting closer to finding the limits!

150 LASHES

Recipe Specs

----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.0

Total Grain (kg): 9.295

Total Hops (g): 115.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4

Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %

Colour (SRM): 3.9 (EBC): 7.7

Bitterness (IBU): 24.3 (Average)

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 78

Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

----------------

6.040 kg Pilsner (64.98%)

2.790 kg Wheat Malt (30.02%)

0.465 kg Carahell (5%)

Hop Bill

----------------

30.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

40.0 g Willamette Pellet (7.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

25.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.

My actual OG ended up at 1.044.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sir Les....whoops, I mean Phil.

A nice simple recipe for me today - though my efficiency was well down. I'm trying to find the best width for the mill rollers (and after a stuck sparge last time I think I've badly overcompensated). At least I'm getting closer to finding the limits!

For your less than perfect milling & lower than expected efficiency' date=' I recommend to the forum court that you receive 150 lashes! [img']biggrin[/img]

Either that, or make him drink that 'space infected' London Pride pictured in your other thread! tongue

What yeast did you end up using? unsure

Good luck with the brew Phil. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Recipe: Aussie Sparkling Ale

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.053 SG

Estimated Color: 9.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 37.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

0.50 kg Munich II (Weyermann)

0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)

0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

15.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min

40.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

20.00 g Experimental Grapefruit [17.00 %] - Steep

1.0 pkg Australian Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP009 Yeast

----------------------------

Hey Phil

Aiming for 78%' date=' your being too hard on yourself setting the bar that high. Anyway 1.044 sounds pretty good for a 150 Lashes clone, doesn't it [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers

Scottie

Brew number two for the day.

Recipe: Hop2iT III

Style: American IPA

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.059 SG

Estimated Color: 21.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 58.0 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

1.25 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)

0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White)

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)

15.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %]

25.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0

25.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20min

25.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20min

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

20.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G'day BeerLust

When you threatened me with 150 lashes, it reminded me of the story of the sadist and the masochist.w The masochist pleaded to be whipped, and the sadist said "no!". ninja

In terms of the yeast, it's a house strain I've been developing - it's now in it's third generation but it probably comprises around 50% Windsor, 35% S-04 and the rest Coopers Ale Yeast from the IPA kit.

Scottie: You're probably right about aiming high, but I suspect it should be achievable. But, then again, I often think I can do things that turn out to be a bit out of reach. So I adjusted the rollers a bit closer, and decided to do another brew today. It's a very simple Czech Pilsener just to see if I'm getting closer to the mark. (But I do agree that an OG of 1.044 is probably a better strating point for 150 lashes).

Czech Pils 45L AG

Bohemian Pilsener

Recipe Specs

----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.0

Total Grain (kg): 9.200

Total Hops (g): 130.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1

Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %

Colour (SRM): 3.1 (EBC): 6.1

Bitterness (IBU): 24.3 (Average)

Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill

----------------

8.900 kg Pilsner (96.74%)

0.300 kg Wheat Malt (3.26%)

Hop Bill

----------------

30.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

70.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)

30.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill

----------------

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.

Fermented at 12°C with Saflager W-34/70

Better go. Mash has only 4 minutes left. Be good all happy

Edit added 3:25 pm. Phew. I've restored my faith in humanity. I've just put in 54 litres of clear, sweet wort in the boil kettle and it is exactly SG=1.043 as predicted by BrewMate. I think I've found the correct roller width for the mill! rolleyes

I had a rather annoying issue with my mill last brew day. The damn base malt refused to get pulled through the rollers, or at least it was reluctant to. What is normally a one person job became a three person job as we got a drill driver out to run the mill and someone else pushed the grains down while I held the mill in place. lol Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?

It got done eventually. Then the specialty malts went in and had no trouble going through, which leads me to think it may be something to do with that base malt (Simpsons Maris Otter). Never had that issue with any other base malt or specialty grains before.

The main thing is I hit the numbers I wanted by the end of it all and that brew is now fermenting away in the fridge.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Otto

I had a very similar problem when I first used my millmaster with an old B&D corded drill. I need a half inch chuck on the drill and the cordless is only three-eighths. But the old B&D didn't have enough torque, and the only way I could use it was to spin it way way too fast.

I did a search and found most of the high torque, low speed drills cost a lot of money! Yet I found a nice powerful Ozito corded drill at Bunnings for $99 and tried it out. And it is just perfect for me. It has a maximum speed of 400 rpm, but I dial that down to about 250 rpm on the little knob and it has absolutely no problem providing tons of grunt to easily do the job.

Cheers

Phil

Edited 6:20 pm 8/9/14: Dang! I just read an article in the Jan 2013 BYO magazine saying the best speed for milling grain is between 150 and 200 rpm. I'll have to turn down the speed knob thingy a bit more now!

Yay my Coopers Craft beer kit arrived today! It's very cute and just about perfect for the 10 litre extract brews that I'll be doing. I'll be lending my full size FV to a colleague who's always wanted to brew a batch tomorrow. Hopefully it turns out well and he gets into the hobby! I might go over and run him through a kit brewday to make sure things go smoothly.

I forgot about the bonus amber ale tin that was included with the kit, so I've decided to put that down before doing my hefeweizen. I've sanitized everything and currently rehydrating the yeast while dissolving the extract can in some slightly cooled, pre-boiled water in my stock pot. No grains, no hops ... feels strange! I wonder what on earth it will taste like?

I put on a SNPA clone today.

19L

0.3kg crystal malt (60ºL)

3kg LME

0.3kg DME

13 grams Magnum pellet hops. Boiled for 60 minutes

17 grams Perle pellet hops. Boiled for 30 minutes

28 grams Cascade pellet hops. Boiled for 10 minutes

56 grams Cascade pellet hops. Added at flame out

Safale US-05

Just built SteveL's porter

1.7Kg English Bitter

300g chocolate grain

250g medium crystal grain

100g roasted barley

200g dark brown sugar

1kg light dry malt

21g Coopers yeast

made to 21 litres

The 650g of grains really filled up my grain bag which made the sparge difficult. Had to use a lot of water, therefore ended up with a lot more to boil and now the temperature is somewhere around 26. Hopefully that comes down overnight and all is well smile

Just built SteveL's porter

1.7Kg English Bitter

300g chocolate grain

250g medium crystal grain

100g roasted barley

200g dark brown sugar

1kg light dry malt

21g Coopers yeast

made to 21 litres

The 650g of grains really filled up my grain bag which made the sparge difficult. Had to use a lot of water' date=' therefore ended up with a lot more to boil and now the temperature is somewhere around 26. Hopefully that comes down overnight and all is well [img']smile[/img]

Sounds really good! Curious, can I ask you a couple of questions about the recipe formulation?

What's the colour rating on the chocolate malt? Is it going to be very bitter to start off with and then beautiful with a few months age on it? Just want to compare it to the chocolate malt I've got on hand.

Are you planning to do a modest dry hop with anything?

Yep I agree about the SNPA clone, it's basically the same as one I brewed a while back. If the IBU is too high then you could bump up the volume a couple of litres or whatever. 48 does sound high, mine came out around 38-40.

My recipe went like this: (found on another forum)

It was listed as a 19 or 23 litre batch, can't remember, but I scaled it up to fit in with my usual 25 litre batches. The recipe was formulated with help from the SN brew master himself, apparently. I tend to believe that claim because the brew turned out to taste pretty much exactly the same as the original. Mine was a little darker but I put that down to the crystal used.

5.22 kg Pale Malt

0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (145.0 EBC)

20.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min, 22.9 IBUs

18.00 g Perle [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min, 9.1 IBUs

30.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min, 5.7 IBUs

60.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs (flame out addition)

1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG

Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

ABV: 5.5% (bottled)

Bitterness: 37.6 IBUs

Est Color: 17.0 EBC

Gonna be brewing this again soon, in time for Christmas. Just need to go and get more Cascade and other malts I need first.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Otto

I had a very similar problem when I first used my millmaster with an old B&D corded drill. I need a half inch chuck on the drill and the cordless is only three-eighths. But the old B&D didn't have enough torque' date=' and the only way I could use it was to spin it way way too fast.

I did a search and found most of the high torque, low speed drills cost a lot of money! Yet I found a nice powerful Ozito corded drill at Bunnings for $99 and tried it out. And it is just perfect for me. It has a maximum speed of 400 rpm, but I dial that down to about 250 rpm on the little knob and it has absolutely no problem providing tons of grunt to easily do the job.

Cheers

Phil

Yeah the drill we used had no problem turning the rollers, it's just the grain refused to be pulled through them for some reason. Normally I just use the crank handle on it but it was taking 500 years to mill half a kilo of grain which was understandably giving me the absolute sh!ts. The other malts used in the recipe had no problem being dragged through and crushed without external help so I can only guess that it's something to do with that particular base malt.

Cheers

Kelsey

Maybe my poor old spreadsheet is not working properly anymore?

I get 38.1ibu with a 12 litre boil for this one. (adjusted my %AA based on the hops i used)

It didn't taste real bitter when i was transferring it to the fermenter.

Oh well, we will just wait and see :)

Maybe my poor old spreadsheet is not working properly anymore?

I get 38.1ibu with a 12 litre boil for this one. (adjusted my %AA based on the hops i used)

It didn't taste real bitter when i was transferring it to the fermenter.

Oh well' date=' we will just wait and see :)[/quote']

That was using the 'hop concentration factor'

Hi chromakey, Otto and B10

Yeah, I just used the standard setup for the spreadsheet and didn't take into account the different alpha acid levels for each year's hop harvent, nor the HCF part. I just used this as standard:

chromakey1.jpg

On another note, and it is probably something that could have been posted in the Fail Thread, I mentioned my problem with a stuck sparge when doing a small batch to a friend. I'm using a 55 litre esky for a mash tun and to get a decent depth for the grain bed it seems I need to do double batches. He said I may be able to still do smaller mashes if I include some rice hulls to "plump" out the grain in there which would also give slightly better drainage. He sent me some and gave me the tracking number for the parcel.

Knowing it would arrive here at home yesterday, I devised an IPA recipe with a bit of a difference and prepared the crush etc. It was as follows:

American IPA

Recipe Specs

----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.0

Total Grain (kg): 5.520

Total Hops (g): 70.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.058 (°P): 14.3

Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.93 %

Colour (SRM): 8.0 (EBC): 15.8

Bitterness (IBU): 41.5 (Average)

Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

----------------

3.000 kg Pilsner (54.35%)

2.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (36.23%)

0.500 kg Carared (9.06%)

0.020 kg Roasted Barley (0.36%)

Hop Bill

----------------

10.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.6% Alpha) @ 50 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

10.0 g Magnum Pellet (14.1% Alpha) @ 50 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

30.0 g Saaz Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 50 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

10.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

10.0 g Magnum Pellet (14.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.

Fermented at 18°C with Mangrove Jacks M44

Knowing I had to do things later on, I waited and waited and waited, until finally I had to put it on and get cracking without the rice hulls. As you've guessed, I was just perfecting my swearing while dealing with a stuck sparge when the courier arrived!

Still, it does taste just lovely so far, so I'm still looking forward to trying it in a few months.

Cheers and be good, Phil

Hi Hairy

It's just one I put together myself. If you promise not to laugh (it's the first time I ever tried to braze anything), here's a pic:

Manifold.jpg

C'mon, you promised!

Perhaps I should think about making another and increasing the number of saw-cuts? I do, however, like your suggestion of getting a new tun for smaller batches. Maybe a round drink-cooler based one?

Cheers, Phil

Good work Phil, that is a 100 times better than anything I could produce. Is the manifold placed that way for the photo only? Aren't the cuts supposed to be facing downwards?

Anyway, a small mash tun is handy. I have a 19 litre Coleman drink cooler (similar to Scottie's) that I use for smaller batches. I haven't made a false bottom for that one, I just use a bag.

Archived