Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the sparge process that Scottie is referring to:

Denny Brew

Denny suggests sparge water at 85C (185F) to hit around 75C when it mixes with the grain.

It sounds like a pain in the ass to me. I like fly sparging. Not as much heavy lifting of scalding hot water. I can't see how batch sparging is a simpler method to fly sparge (other than not having to build a sparge arm' date=' but that kinda' stuff is fun and all part of the hobby). In fact, once you have your flow rate dialed from your MLT to Boil Kettle and HLT to MLT, it is set and forget! (all most)[img']wink[/img]

Denny suggests sparge water at 85C (185F) to hit around 75C when it mixes with the grain.

Video link

I should clarify, my sparge water is heated to 90 Celsius. In the Video Denny explains that he brings his Sparge water to the boil. I turn the heat of once I start to drain the Mash Tun. The method worked fine with my Mid Strength DSGA. All I need is a new braided hose as mine is deformed at the neck and causing my stuck sparges.

Cheers

Scottie

This is the sparge process that Scottie is referring to:

Denny Brew

It sounds like a pain in the ass to me. I like fly sparging. Not as much heavy lifting of scalding hot water. I can't see how batch sparging is a simpler method to fly sparge (other than not having to build a sparge arm' date=' but that kinda' stuff is fun and all part of the hobby). In fact, once you have your flow rate dialed from your MLT to Boil Kettle and HLT to MLT, it is set and forget! (all most)[img']wink[/img]

Apparently you don't need a fancy manifold because channelling isn't an issue , Denny has been 14 years with a braided hose. However I am keen to get a pump and agree Chad that I cando without all the heavy lifting and scolding risk.

Cheers

Scottie

PS Is your thread getting slower or is it my PC?

I use a 24" SS braided hose with no problems with suck sparge or channeling. It works really well. For a sparge arm I use a 1/2" copper manifold with hole drilled. It's a three tiered setup with heat under the BK and the HLT. This works very well and have been getting great efficiency will my 10 gallon set up.

With my pump I have changed to a two tier set up with heat under the MLT ant the BK. The BK will now supply the HLT while the mash is doing it thing. this now gives me control of the MLT temps with direct heat and allow me to mmis the mash as much as I want while keeping a constant temp. This set up will also accommodate a HERMS set up down the line.

I use a 24" SS braided hose with no problems with suck sparge or channeling. It works really well. For a sparge arm I use a 1/2" copper manifold with hole drilled. It's a three tiered setup with heat under the BK and the HLT. This works very well and have been getting great efficiency will my 10 gallon set up.

With my pump I have changed to a two tier set up with heat under the MLT ant the BK. The BK will now supply the HLT while the mash is doing it thing. this now gives me control of the MLT temps with direct heat and allow me to mmis the mash as much as I want while keeping a constant temp. This set up will also accommodate a HERMS set up down the line.

A quick update on my Bewitched Amber ale. The gravity has dropped to 1.008 now with all signs of fermentation having stopped. This gives an estimated 5.7% alcohol once carbonated according to the Coopers formula.

So that took what, 9 days at 18C? I've take it off the heat pad and will let it sit for a while - I'll bottle it next Tuesday or Wednesday evening I reckon. The sample tasted really good, with a nice hint of passionfruit and apricot. Can imagine it will go down well on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Beerlust, I dead read something further on the brochure included in the box about the yeast. It says (about the brew cans) 'Each variety uses only the best quality malts, bittering and aromatic hps and specially selected yeast'. Unfortunately I can't find anything specifying what yeast goes in which tin.

Brew day! happy

I've got a few hops that need to be used up, so a simple easy drinker Pale Ale sounds like a good idea.

3 Hop Pale Ale

Black Rock Light LME 1.7kg

LDM 250gms

Dextrose 200gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 200gms

Dark Wheat Malt grain 250gms

CaraHell grain 150gms

Nelson Sauvin 15gms (11.5%AA) @ 60mins

Chinook 10gms (13.3%AA) @ 15mins

Ella 10gms (14.3%AA) @ 5mins

Chinook 25gms @ flameout

Ella 25gms dry hopped

Re-hydrated US-05

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.044

FG = approx. 1.011

Bottled ABV = 4.7% Kegged ABV = 4.3%

EBC = 15.7 IBU = 29.2.

I haven't used NS for bittering before, so will be interested to see what impact it has on the brew at this junction.

I've got a few hop bombs planned for my next few brews & am very much looking forward to my brewing over the next few months. biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

I'm back. First weekend off since June, i think. Hope you've all been well and drinking better beer. I had some tasty success with a US Brown ale, a mild, and a Belgian Dark. These three got me through winter.

So I'm working on a Blonde Ale that sits just outside of AABA. Would like some of your feedback on the recipe.

Stella Ella's Blonder Half-Sista Helga

Brew Method: Extract

Style Name: Blonde Ale

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 10 liters (fermentor volume)

Boil Size: 5 liters

Boil Gravity: 1.079

Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:

Original Gravity: 1.040

Final Gravity: 1.011

ABV (standard): 3.95%

IBU (tinseth): 26.26

SRM (morey): 4.65

FERMENTABLES:

850 g - Dry Malt Extract - Light (73.6%)

200 g - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (17.3%)

STEEPING GRAINS:

20 g - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (1.7%)

40 g - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (3.5%)

5 g - United Kingdom - Amber (0.4%)

40 g - American - Caramel / Crystal 10L (3.5%)

HOPS:

5 g - Helga, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 5.85

15 g - Helga, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 10.63

5 g - Ella, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.4, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.45

10 g - Helga, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.33

YEAST:

Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Fermentation Temp: 16 C

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dene

Edited: have just put this one down. Hope it's a nice easy drinker.

Yesterday's effort. Cooled to 10C overnight in the FV fridge, warmed up this morning, yeast gone in at 15C. 12hrs between fridged and yeast. Jamil assures us its fine because its too cold for wild yeast activity (which apparently doesn't normally start until 36-72hrs). Tested the theory out.

Joseph's Wee Lightweight

Author: BCS/LeCoq

Brew Method: Extract

Style Name: Scottish Light 60/-

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 13.5 liters (fermentor volume)

Boil Size: 6 liters

Boil Gravity: 1.068

Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:

Original Gravity: 1.030

Final Gravity: 1.008

ABV (standard): 2.86%

IBU (tinseth): 15.41

SRM (morey): 11.21

FERMENTABLES:

1.05 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Light (71.4%)

STEEPING GRAINS:

220 g - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (15%)

60 g - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (4.1%)

45 g - United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate (3.1%)

60 g - Flaked Oats (4.1%)

35 g - United Kingdom - Amber (2.4%)

HOPS:

15 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 14.37

YEAST:

Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Fermentation Temp: 16 C

I'm going to make this today...

Recipe: Stink Eye IPA II

Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.072 SG

Estimated Color: 15.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 72.9 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

6.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.40 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

15.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

25.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Boil 30 min

30.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min

30.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep

30.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Steep

I'll put down another today,,,

Recipe: El Golden Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.050 SG

Estimated Color: 12.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann)

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

10.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

15.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min

15.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

I'll put down another today' date=',,

Recipe: El Golden Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.050 SG

Estimated Color: 12.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann)

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

10.00 g Magnum [13.00 %'] - Boil 60.0 min

15.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min

15.00 g El Dorado [15.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

This looks like an awesome summer beer. Let us know how it turns out because I might make it.

I have only tried one beer with El Dorado and I got a slight watermelon taste to it. Have you used El Dorado as a dry hop?

Actual OG 1054. Time to adjust my efficiency

Hey Ben10

Have you calculated what your current efficiency is? It sounds as though you are well over 80% now.

And if Scary Hairy likes the sound of the latest one, I'll have to give it a closer look.

Meanwhile, it looks as though the brew freezer (breezer?) will be clear tomorrow, so I'm only now just starting to get some refreshing summer brews underway. It looks like there'll be a Thursday brew day of this one:

Thrillsener

German Pilsner (Pils)

Recipe Specs

----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.0

Total Grain (kg): 9.000

Total Hops (g): 165.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3

Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.52 %

Colour (SRM): 3.2 (EBC): 6.3

Bitterness (IBU): 28.9 (Average)

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 78

Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

----------------

8.000 kg Pilsner (88.89%)

1.000 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (11.11%)

Hop Bill

----------------

15.0 g Magnum Pellet (14.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

30.0 g Crystal Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

30.0 g Willamette Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

30.0 g Crystal Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

30.0 g Willamette Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

30.0 g Spalt Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 60 Minutes.

Fermented at 12°C with Saflager W-34/70

Cheers and more beers

Philby

This looks like an awesome summer beer. Let us know how it turns out because I might make it.

I have only tried one beer with El Dorado and I got a slight watermelon taste to it. Have you used El Dorado as a dry hop?

I have and did not get watermelon from it. Looking back I have used it mostly in flameout additions. Keen to see how this one tastes. Not sure what yeast. Hmm, WLP029 or 009 or the incoming 051 - thanks Phil!

BTW Phil - it is a Fermeezer. Your Pilsner looks great, I may have to put one down based on the success of the Lager I made.

Doing a Pale Ale with a three hop combo:

15g Galaxy @ 10 mins

25g Ella @ 5 mins

25g Amarillo @ 5 mins

Hoping to avoid an infection so I am going to activate my Windsor yeast to give it the best chance, and give the wort a fair dinkum stir. It might be slow starts and yeast going to sleep early that's giving me all this grief.

Cheers

Scottie

Done. Fitted a new braided hose and no stuck sparge using Denny's batch sparging method. Next time I will close up the gap on my Grain Mill as I'm still at 66%.

Pitched Windsor yeast at 20 degrees into 21.5 litres of 1.037 wort. I am nervous these days and looking for a quick start and a fast finish, time in the FV used to be my friend but now its a source of distress.

Anyway a good brew day all cleaned up by 2pm, after mashing in at 10:30.

Cheers

Scottie

Bottled my Bewitched Amber Ale on Tuesday night, then did my first partial mash using BIAB in a pot on the stove on Wednesay night. The amber ale finished at 1.005 in the end and I got 8 x 740ml PETs + 6 x 330ml stubbies from the 8.5 litre batch. I did enjoy the super easy bottling and cleanup session for the small batch!

Recipe: Hefeweizen

• 1kg wheat malt
  • 500g pilsener malt
  • 500g Coopers wheat LME
  • 20g Hallertau Tradition 3%AA
  • White Labs WLP300

Process:

• Mashed the 1.5kg grain at 66C for about 5 hours while I was at work for the afternoon
  • Heated to 78C for mash out with the grain bag sitting on a cake stand
  • Let bag drain sitting in a colander on top of my pot, rinsed with approx 3 litres of water heated to 65C
  • Boiled for 90 mins, adding hops in a hop bag @60 mins
  • At the end of the boil, removed the hop sack and stirred in 500g wheat LME, let sit with the lid on for about 10 minutes
  • Chilled with water (and then ice water bath) in my laundry trough
  • Splash-poured into fermenter then topped up to 10 litres, measured OG = 1.043
  • Pitched yeast at 16C

Currently the brew is going well sitting at 18C in my little the fermenter with about 5cm of thick krausen. I can report that the craft DIY fermenter krausen collar works well.

So what did I learn from this brew day?

• My grain bag is massive - LHBS only had one size and it is very large for my 9.5 litre pot. Still works fine though happy
  • My mash felt very thin but there was still plenty of room left in my pot, so I can probably fit up to 2kg grain. I think I overestimated how much space the grain itself would take up once added to the water.
  • My cake stand that i was resting the bag on to heat to mash-out is too tall, I have a shorter one hiding in the cupboard somewhere that I'll need to dig up.
  • On this occasion the boil off rate from my pot was about 2.3 litres per hour.
  • My chilling regiment worked almost too well, next time I will just do one round with an ice bath for a fast chill.
  • The long-ish mash seems to have been ok, beautiful sweet tasting wort with not a hint of sourness - I will see how the final product turns out
  • To convert extract recipes to partial mash in the future I need to use an efficiency of around 60%. Using Ian's Kit & Extract spreadsheet for my recipe with appropriate max yield figures and an efficiency value of 60% gives me an estimated OG = 1.045, so I was just slightly under.

So what to brew next? Seeing as I've still got 1kg of wheat LME and I am planning to harvest the WLP300 from the yeast cake after bottling, I might do a Dunkelweizen or Weizenbock.

Archived