Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys.

Happy to report the re-activated CCA yeast is going great guns (as usual for me biggrin) on the recipe I listed in post#1194.

I had obvious signs of fermentation @ approx. 12 hours after pitching, & there is now a good krausen formation along with it bopping along quite nicely when I returned home from work about an hour ago.

Early signs are looking good for it to ferment out fully, so it will be handy to gain some true attenuation figures for it from the brew. Something I probably should have done some time back given how many times I've now used the CCA yeast. pinchedrolleyes

Cheers,

Anthony.

I've been using Notto a lot in the last bunch of brews. Pretty much every second brew. I usually use a liquid yeast for 1/2 of my 42 litres and the other with Notto or US-05. I like Notto a lot these days. It really is an all purpose strain. It works well with Britsh ales and American alike, stout to pales. It's also very reliable for viability and a quick starter. I simply sprinkle dry over my worts and it always kicks off within 12 hours of pitching. It also flocculates well for a beer's clarity.

Any brewer worth their weight in Pale malt should always keep a couple packets on hand in their brewery.rightful

The CanCanMan can 'cos he mixes it yeast and makes the world go round (la de da de da, la de dau de da de dah etc)

But I just calculated the cost of my weight in Pale Ale Malt and I'm not worth anywhere near that amount! However, I do have one packet of Notto somewher in the fridge. Way to make someone feel small, CanCanMan! ninjalolcrying

From what I've seen' date=' you are the resident Saison expert, Ben. Hope it goes well and will be interested to hear how it turns out.

Cheers[/quote']

I am yet to try a commercial saison so I have no idea at all if I am close to the mark with what I make, but I like them.

That Yeast Bay Saison Blend I pitched at around midday, and by bedtime it was showing signs of starting - the yeast was forming clumps on the surface.

This morning full krausen.

No starter, aeration was provided via a pour from height into the FV.

G'day all,

Just put down my second brew

1.7kg Morgans Australian Lager

500g LDM

500g Dex

12g galaxy boiled 5 min

Was thinking of adding another 12g galaxy a couple of days before kegging

Any thoughts? Was going for something like a Stone & Wood Pacific Ale this is my firtst experiment with hops

Got another Lager in the cube yesterday. I don't know what's come over me. unsure

4kg BB Pils malt

250g White Sugar

10g Centennial FWH

35g Perle @ Flame Out

25g Centennial @ Flame Out

Not a very orthodox hop bill, but meh, it's all I had around.

Will pitch this onto the cake of S-23 that's being bottled today. Lazy. sleeping

G'day P1-man

Mine is not to wonder why, mine is but to... hmmm. what was I saying?

That's an interesting recipe on a few counts. Of course I haven't really got a good idea of your palate preference, but I would have thought the IBUs might be a bit on the low side for a lager (I get around 18 for a 23 litre knockout).

But what interests me more is the colour - it really is going to be a very very pale lager (at 2.8 SRM or 5.5 EBC). The reason it caught my eye is that I've done a few recently that have been heavier in colour than that, and I was disappointed because they really were lacking in that department. Sort of like a blonde ale shandy using 3 parts lemonade to one part beer.

However, it will certainly be very refreshing 4.5% beer on a long hot summer's day.

Cheers mate

Hey everyone

Been a while. Moved house, got too much to do. How is everyone?

Today I'm remaking an old extract recipe of mine as my AG attempt at it was terrible (tipping it today after sitting on it for a year). It was too good to waste time making bad beers instead.

ANZA IPA

I am doing a bigger boil though so I should get a more bitter beer I hope, and using US-05 yeast (which I've used with this recipe and it was much better). I'm also swapping 200g of DME for dry wheat malt as I forgot to get more DME at the brew shop yesterday (stoopid!!). Might be better anyway.

Cheers

Hey everyone

Been a while. Moved house' date=' got too much to do.[/quote']

Ahhh. 'nuff said. Probably my second most hated thing in the world! Hope you're slowly getting it all together as you'd like. (BTW, my first most hated is when Brunhilda asks me if her bum(s) look big in those clothes, but that's another story. I'm still wondering if there's a safe answer to it.)

How is everyone?

Generally speaking' date=' my observation is everyone is generally doing pretty well. Ben keeps putting on more brews than the Bud factory. Hairy has been very supportive by extolling what he never thinks of me [img']ninja[/img] Beerlust hasn't put out a contract yet even though I ignored his advice bandit (although I'm not sure if Guzz is speaking to me rightful And the people that aren't ratbags are still being helpful and pleasant! biggrin

Today I'm remaking an old extract recipe of mine as my AG attempt at it was terrible (tipping it today after sitting on it for a year). It was too good to waste time making bad beers instead.

ANZA IPA

I am doing a bigger boil though so I should get a more bitter beer I hope' date=' and using US-05 yeast (which I've used with this recipe and it was much better). I'm also swapping 200g of DME for dry wheat malt as I forgot to get more DME at the brew shop yesterday (stoopid!!). Might be better anyway.

Cheers[/quote']

Adam, do you still use flowers? I was wondering what difference there may be instead of using pellets. Admittedy I haven't seen them in a LHBS, but I'm sure they're easy to find online.

Cheers

(BTW' date=' my first most hated is when Brunhilda asks me if her bum(s) look big in those clothes, but that's another story. I'm still wondering if there's a safe answer to it.)[/quote']

antiphile, "the truth will set you free"........... tonguelol

G'day AdamH.

Glad to see you're still around the place. smile

I hope all is well in your world. unsure

You may have the weapons, the training, & even the consummate ability to use them with deadly accuracy, but it sounds like SWMBO still has the final say in your household! tongue

biggrin

Nice to hear you're back & brewing.

Anthony.

Well that was the easiest brew day I've had in months.

Beekeeper ROTM

I've been a little lazy with my brewing lately, the last 3 batches sat in the FV for almost 3 weeks each, kept putting off bottling day, so this easy recipe worked well into my laziness.

Got 2 FV's full, no bottling for another 10 days or so and got 5 different home brews in the fridge ranging from 14 days old to 80 days old.

Rapidly approaching my 1st anniversary of brewing, almost 50 batches and only put on 5 kg's!

It has taken me a while, but now I finally know what I like in a beer, how to make it and most importantly how to enjoy it.

Learnt so much from all you guys, plenty of laughs along the way biggrin

Cheers & Thanks Y'all

Guzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Man you've been busy Guzz! I put my first brew into the fermenter on 12th April this year, so that would be a little over 6 months ago now ... I've only got my 9th in there now. With a break over Summer and a month away in Feb I doubt I'll reach 15 for the year. 50 is quite an achievement!

You may have the weapons' date=' the training, & even the consummate ability to use them with deadly accuracy, but it sounds like SWMBO still has the final say in your household! [img']tongue[/img]

Does anyone's SWMBO not have the final say? happy

I'm all good. I have put down 2 brews since I moved - way back in March. Made a Pilsner and a Maibock (almost ready to start drinking).

Seeya's round

Rapidly approaching my 1st anniversary of brewing' date=' almost 50 batches and only put on 5 kg's!

[/quote']

50 batches?! You truly are a brewing machine Guzz! My 1st anniversary would be sometime this month and I'm about to bottle my 17th batch. Cheers.

Man you've been busy Guzz! I put my first brew into the fermenter on 12th April this year' date=' so that would be a little over 6 months ago now ... I've only got my 9th in there now. With a break over Summer and a month away in Feb I doubt I'll reach 15 for the year. 50 is quite an achievement![/quote']

50 batches?! You truly are a brewing machine Guzz! My 1st anniversary would be sometime this month and I'm about to bottle my 17th batch. Cheers.

Haha, Yeah well, the first 5 batches were bottled within a week of starting them!, Then it took me a few more batches to figure out a few things. Then I got my 2nd FV and never looked back.

Have 2 FV's going all the time, I drink 4-6 beers most nights, share a few with friends, unload the crap ones on enemies, all good!

Saved heaps by brewing my own beer, which was my initial reason for doing it, now I'm hooked on this hobby.

Guzz

G'day P1-man

Mine is not to wonder why' date=' mine is but to... hmmm. what was I saying?

That's an interesting recipe on a few counts. Of course I haven't really got a good idea of your palate preference, but I would have thought the IBUs might be a bit on the low side for a lager (I get around 18 for a 23 litre knockout).

But what interests me more is the colour - it really is going to be a very very pale lager (at 2.8 SRM or 5.5 EBC). The reason it caught my eye is that I've done a few recently that have been heavier in colour than that, and I was disappointed because they really were lacking in that department. Sort of like a blonde ale shandy using 3 parts lemonade to one part beer.

However, it will certainly be very refreshing 4.5% beer on a long hot summer's day.

Cheers mate[/quote']

Hi P2. One thing you may be forgetting is that I'm a no-good, dirty, filthy no-chiller. Those flameout additions will give some considerable bitterness. It comes in at around 29 IBU for me, which I believe is actually quite high for a lager.

As for colour, I was actually going for straw coloured beer. I don't really want to use crystal in a lager, and I feel like Munich would be a bit much for what I am going for. The last one I made with 100% Pils was just right in colour.

Booyah!

Just on my second batch... Aussie Pale Ale which I miss quite a bit in the States. Stuck to recipe except I made a starter with the yeast (115g DME/1L water... the "15" was me being sloppy). Bottled today after 2 weeks in the FV. Much better results with FG: 1.007. Now to be patient (ugh) for 2 more weeks. rolleyes

Cheers! Jim

Archived