Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Okay am going to chuck together my Hop Slam brew tonight. Mostly as per recipe on the site, other than an additional 300g of dextrose for a little more "attitude" readjustment and a slightly modified hop schedule as (once again - god bless that man!) suggested by Hairy. The hops came in a 90g bag so they are all going into this baby, 15g in a 10 min boil with another 15 at flameout and 60 as a dry hop.

Really looking forward to this one... my golden ale has turned out really nice, and will be my accompanying partner with me on this brew (first time I will actually get to drink a HB while I make a HB so this is some sort of progression in my hobby I guess) tongue

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cricket, I only called it that because it's being brewed tomorrow and Australia is playing England in the opening game. Soccer or football ... I'd rather watch paint dry to be honest.tonguelol

Anyway, yeah hopefully it turns out well. Every other experimental brew I've done has, so there's a good track record there. I'll post a review of it once it's been fermented, bottled etc.

Cheers

Kelsey

Okay am going to chuck together my Hop Slam brew tonight. Mostly as per recipe on the site' date=' other than an additional 300g of dextrose for a little more "attitude" readjustment and a slightly modified hop schedule as (once again - god bless that man!) suggested by Hairy[/quote']

Most people that have viewed Hairy in all his glory have said that he has already been blessed by god biggrin

A man can dream, can't he? innocent

After several days of disinfecting and cleaning the brew area and equipment, I'm finally ready to try my first attempt at an SNPA clone tomorrow. Other than a few water treatment additions, I've finally settled on:

Recipe: SNPA 150215 30 litres

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 40.36 l

Post Boil Volume: 35.36 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 30.00 l

Bottling Volume: 28.70 l

Estimated OG: 1.050 SG

Estimated Color: 15.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 81.6 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type %/IBU

6.80 kg Pale Ale Malt (2 Row) (4.0 EBC) Grain 92.9 %

0.50 kg Caramunich II (120.0 EBC) Grain 7.1 %

20.00 g Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 19.9 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9.6 IBUs

20.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 3.2 IBUs

10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs

5.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 7.29 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time

Mash In Add 17.08 l of water at 78.0 C 68.3 C 60 min

Mash Out Add 10.65 l of water at 89.9 C 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 22.44 l water at 75.6 C

US-05 yeast starter (stepped up to equivalent of 1g/litre dry weight)

Obviously I've made a few substitions to account for what I have on hand.

Obviously I've made a few substitions to account for what I have on hand.

I was gonna say...lol

None of those hops except Cascade is in the original' date=' and it's not dry hopped either. It's basically bittered with Magnum, with an addition of Perle at 30 mins, and then a 10 minute addition of 30g Cascade, followed by a flameout addition of 60g Cascade. These numbers are for a 25L batch though. The IBUs are up more around the 37-38 mark as well. Obviously, if you don't have these hops on hand, it makes it a bit difficult.

In saying that, that recipe I think will produce a fine beer, but it may not be as close to SNPA as it could be. [img']wink[/img]

For comparison, this is the recipe I use for a 25 litre batch:

5.22 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.6 EBC) Grain 1 92.1 %

0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (145.0 EBC) Grain 2 7.9 %

19.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 21.4 IBUs

18.00 g Perle [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 8.9 IBUs

30.00 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 7.6 IBUs

60.00 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Flameout addition.

US-05 or Wyeast 1056.

37.9 IBUs

18.1 EBC

Last batch OG 1049, FG 1010, ABV 5.5% bottled.

Recipe: White Trash IPA

Brewer: Grumpy

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Post Boil Volume: 26.69 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG

Estimated Color: 6.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 55.5 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 54.5 %

2.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 45.5 %

15.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 19.0 IBUs

35.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 4 15.6 IBUs

30.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 5 11.7 IBUs

25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 6 9.2 IBUs

25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Da Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat yeast

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there's one I hadn't heard of. innocent

Me neither until I thought ... hmm, have a done dark IPA, so I web searched for white IPA.

Yep... never had one, but some looking led me to the recipe.

I think the hops should work well, grapefruit, wine and pine... with maybe some banana or clove from the yeast.

Mind you I got bubblegum last time I used that yeast.

A fair whack of the fun in homebrewing is making shit up and drinking the results.

Hi Ben. smile

Well there's one I hadn't heard of. innocent

Me neither until I thought ... hmm' date=' have a done dark IPA, so I web searched for white IPA.

Yep... never had one, but some looking led me to the recipe.

I think the hops should work well, grapefruit, wine and pine... with maybe some banana or clove from the yeast.

Mind you I got bubblegum last time I used that yeast.

A fair whack of the fun in homebrewing is making shit up and drinking the results.[/quote']

Being a hophead like yourself, I pretty much like all your hop bills. wink

I was mucking around with a few different yeast etc. just over a year ago, & while looking for another source of some banana ester profile in a beer I was brewing, I tried a german wheat beer yeast (Wyeast 3333) with a pale ale malt bill, & late hopped with a mix of approx. 80gms of Riwaka & Nelson Sauvin. I fermented @ 21°C.

Yep you guessed it, I ended up with a @#$%ing wheat beer! pinchedlol

I learned a very valuable lesson about yeast strains that day.

I can laugh about it now, but I was not a happy camper at the time! pouty

For the clove-like character ferment lower @ approx. 18°C. For the banana-like ester ferment @ 21-24°C. Oddly enough, the Redback wheat beer clone I spoke of in another thread earlier today (& am currently drinking), I fermented the Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Blend yeast @ 18°C to attain that clove like profile in the end beer. Nailed it perfectly (IMHO) in that scenario. happy

Just expect a good level of wheat beer-like influence at the end of it all. wink

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

A fair whack of the fun in homebrewing is making shit up and drinking the results.

Hmmm. I'm not going to criticise since we all have our own expectations from brewing at home' date=' but that is certainly not one of mine![/quote']

lollol Agreed P2, but it would be good if you were a plant. wink

Well after bottling the My Take Stouter Stout today after about 30 days (yeh been busy read slack)

I put down another stout for winter much like one of my first.

Toucan!!!

2 Coopers stout

1 BE2

300g Crystal malt

Reactivated coopers yeast

steep crystal malt in 3l of hot water for 30 mins, strain and boil for 2 mins and cool in cold water.

add both cans and BE2 3l of boiled water and swirl to mix, add crystal liquid and top up to 28l.

add reactivated yeast and one kit yeast and ferment at 22c.

biggrin

looking forward to trying this one after a bit of bottle time with the very small tweak's, last years toucan as a pleb was brilliant, with the coopers yeast and crystal it should be awesome!!!

Yesterday brew day.

Golden Ale (The good doctor's latest kit version)

1.7 kg Coopers Lager

1.5 kg Coopers wheat malt

250g Medium crystal (hot steep 30 mins)

25g Amarillo @ 15 mins

25g Amarillo @ flameout (30 min post boil steep)

Us 05 (pitched/fermented @ 20C)

Stats:

23L

OG 1.045, FG 1.011, IBU 33.2, 4.8%abv bottle.

Cheers,

Dave.

Brew day!!

Three Limbed Pale Ale

40L Golden, BC CAN Water 1 -

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

7.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 91.5 %

0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 4 6.5 %

0.15 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 5 2.0 %

30.00 g Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.5 IBUs

15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 5.9 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -

40.00 g Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.5 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %

Bitterness: 31.9 IBUs

Est Color: 11.0 EBC Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG

Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %

Pacific Crossing Ale

Maris Otter, Munich, Victory, Wheat and medium Crystal.

Bittered with Magnum to 15 IBU, then flavour and aroma from Chinook (Grapefruit) and Galaxy (Passionfruit) to 35 IBU.

Added 6g of Gypsum to the Valley Water.

Will ferment with US05.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Kelsey.

The one going in this week is my German lager recipe that I'm fermenting with US-05 at the low end of the temp range.

I've been following your posts (over numerous threads tongue) about this brew.

A few observations I've personally experienced' date=' read & understood about ale brewing at low temps leaning into lager yeast temps.

I've tested US-05 at the lower end. I pitched a [u']single[/u] 11gm packet into a sub 1.050 OG brew in the low 20's. Over the next 18-24 hours I reduced that temp down to 15°C. Using an airlock fitted fermenter with the lid correctly fitted (I'll stir you up about this a little further down Kelsey! biggrin).

In this time I was able to observe the slowing rate of C02 expelling during primary fermentation once down at this 15°C temperature. As one would expect, it does slow & behave like a true lager yeast around this temperature.

The slowing expelling of C02 reached a point where I felt the fermentation might stall. Stall because as those who understand lager fermenting, I had only pitched a single packet of the US-05. If I had pitched a second packet, I believe I could have left the brew @ 15°C & it would have fermented out easily due to a higher yeast cell count to begin with.

As I believed it would stall, I raised the temperature to 16°C at the right time, & it "pepped up', behaved much better, & consequently fermented out to expected FG.

That beer is in the best 5 beers I have ever brewed. Clean & crisp like a lager (due to the lower ferment temps), & some absolutely beautiful hop flavours that the US-05 promotes.

This style is often referred to as a "Pseudo Lager". If you plan to brew this ale yeast based beer to produce a clean, crisp, hoppy beer, then yes use the US-05 (or equivalent). If you want to brew a clean, malty flavoured beer resembling a true lager beer then Nottingham (or equivalent) is a better choice as it is more malt friendly than US-05. In both cases, pitch more yeast than you would if brewing it in traditional ale brewing temperatures. Treat it as if you were brewing a true lager beer in terms of the volume of yeast you begin the primary fermentation with.

For those interested, here's a thread over on a UK forum that has some very good conversation on creating "Pseudo Lagers".

Brew UK Forum - Pseudo-Lager

Ohh... I nearly forgot...Kelsey, you've previously stated your airlock has never bubbled (or something to that affect?) Being a bus driver, this should be easy to follow...

When securing the airlock lid, hard right turn until you reach 'full lock', then hold firm! tongue

If that doesn't make the airlock bubble, perhaps get a new lid seal from your LHBS & if you actually are getting back to playing cricket, add the reverse sweep (if you bat right-handed) into your net routine! lol

Sorry for the long post guys, but it is something I've wanted to put out there for sometime. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

lol Nice one Lusty tongue

I don't even use the airlock anymore. I broke the grommet for it (guessing it perished from being subjected to freezing temps during CCing) so now I just put a piece of tape over the hole in the lid.

Anywho...

I'm actually going to be making a yeast starter for this batch, so I can harvest some of the yeast from it into a small jar for re use on the next batch and so on. I'm keen to try this method, as opposed to the "traditional" rinsing yeast after fermenting the full batch of beer. I just have to calculate how big to make the starter. Also I was going to ferment it more in the 16-16.5 sort of range. I suppose I could start it at 15 and then let it rise a little once it kicks off.

I remember you posting about that batch when you fermented it, and it was always something I had slated to try but haven't got around to it until now. I'm actually keen for a bit more of the hops to come through in this lager recipe, so it sounds like the US-05 might just do the trick. Next time I do it with proper lager yeast I may increase the late hops to try and get more of their presence. It may not be strictly to style, but if I'm going to enjoy it more, that's what's more important at this point. If I was entering competitions, then sticking to style would be more important I guess.

Anyway, that'll be getting underway sometime this week so will be interesting to see how it turns out. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

So spot on Kelsey. cool

lol Nice one Lusty tongue

I don't even use the airlock anymore. I broke the grommet for it (guessing it perished from being subjected to freezing temps during CCing) so now I just put a piece of tape over the hole in the lid.

Anywho...

I'm actually going to be making a yeast starter for this batch' date=' so I can harvest some of the yeast from it into a small jar for re use on the next batch and so on. I'm keen to try this method, as opposed to the "traditional" rinsing yeast after fermenting the full batch of beer. I just have to calculate how big to make the starter. Also I was going to ferment it more in the 16-16.5 sort of range. I suppose I could start it at 15 and then let it rise a little once it kicks off.

I remember you posting about that batch when you fermented it, and it was always something I had slated to try but haven't got around to it until now. I'm actually keen for a bit more of the hops to come through in this lager recipe, so it sounds like the US-05 might just do the trick. Next time I do it with proper lager yeast I may increase the late hops to try and get more of their presence. It may not be strictly to style, but if I'm going to enjoy it more, that's what's more important at this point. If I was entering competitions, then sticking to style would be more important I guess.

Anyway, that'll be getting underway sometime this week so will be interesting to see how it turns out. [img']cool[/img]

Cheers

Kelsey

It's funny lookin' back. I reckon you & I joined the forum around the same time though my current join date would suggest otherwise lol. I know I identified with you very quickly as being someone at a similar level to myself of brewing expertise at that time. 4+ years later I still enjoy reading your posts & continue to learn from them as much as I do from others on the forum.

Despite you moving onto AG brewing, I still reckon we relate on a number of levels in the same vein.

I'd comment more on your posts, but they'd most likely be, "+1"..."+1",..."+1". That gets real boring, real quick, so I don't do it. I agree with you a hell of a lot, & respect the way you brew & the way you go about it.

It's about time you put your best recipe out there for me to brew. Mine's out there, & Scottie & Hairy are brewing it/drinking it (credit away from mine for Scottie's & Hairy's (yet unknown) AG version)

Chad's Big Island IPA, Scottie's Styx River Pale have sent me on many areas of discovery already. There's a few guys on this forum that I wish would ask me to brew their favourite recipe.

You are definitely one of them. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

It's funny lookin' back. I reckon you & I joined the forum around the same time though my current join date would suggest otherwise lol. I know I identified with you very quickly as being someone at a similar level to myself of brewing expertise at that time. 4+ years later I still enjoy reading your posts & continue to learn from them as much as I do from others on the forum.

Despite you moving onto AG brewing' date=' I still reckon we relate on a number of levels in the same vein.

I'd comment more on your posts, but they'd most likely be, "+1"..."+1",..."+1". That gets real boring, real quick, so I don't do it. I agree with you a hell of a lot, & respect the way you brew & the way you go about it.

It's about time you put your best recipe out there for me to brew. Mine's out there, & Scottie & Hairy are brewing it/drinking it (credit away from mine for Scottie's & Hairy's (yet unknown) AG version)

Chad's Big Island IPA, Scottie's Styx River Pale have sent me on many areas of discovery already. There's a few guys on this forum that I wish would ask me to brew their favourite recipe.

You are definitely one of them. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm just gonna say +1, because I agree with everything you've just said there. lol

As for best recipes I will have to have a look through my files. I'm leaning towards my red ale being my favourite, if only because it is a regular in the brewing cycle and always turns out the same, and is a very nice drop. I'll check the recipe on Beersmith first, as I think I may have edited the original recipe to account for hops that I used on the original but don't currently have any of. pinched

I'll check that out tomorrow in my shift break and post a topic about it anyways. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived