Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Philbo.

Before I got my burner' date=' I even did a few batches in my 30L pot on the stove. [cool']

The big element handled it alright, but the iron support stuff which goes over the stove to hold the pot off the flame (I don't know what the fark it's called, get off my back!) had trouble holding up the weight. The 19L pot was no problem at all, and with maxi-biab I was doing 20L batches easy.

I assume you were doing your mashing on the stovetop as well? [unsure]

With both your 19L & 30L versions, you neglected to mention a time-frame that it took to reach boil after you collected runnings from the mash. If you were using a single element on a stovetop it must have taken ages at those volumes. [pinched] Either that, or you have the biggest element on a stove I've ever heard of?! [wink]

I can't believe you didn't know what a flumetelini was called [unsure]

Wasn't he the guy who had his hand ripped off by the Panel Van in Mad Max 1? [unsure] [lol]

Cheers,

Anthony.

[lol] Again' date=' no time frame listed. [lol']

I'm betting both Hairy & Philbo are pretty good dancers! [lol]

Anthony.

Do you think I am some kind of human stop watch?

I don't keep track of the general time. I turn on the gas and it boils when it boils. It just feels like the same time frame.

Worrying about the time ruins a perfectly good relaxing brew day [wink]

Here's my stove:

03gp.jpg

You can plainly see which burner was used for boiling (over) wort.

It never recovered. Tried Spray n Wipe, Ajax, Gumption, etc. SWMBO never comments on it, but I'm sure she's saving it for a rainy day. [biggrin]

Anyway, I NEVER had trouble getting the 19L pot boiling. Never timed it either, sorry Lusty. Sure, my 3-ring is bigger, so is my OTS element, but I am working with far larger quantities!!!

To be honest, I reckon the biggest part of my brew days is still waiting for strike, mash, boil temps. You just work it into your planning, ie - don't plan to be done by any certain time! If anything, I think it was actually quicker (at least for the 19L) on the stove top. If your stove can't boil 15L reasonably quickly then it's probably not much chop (or it's electric [annoyed]).

Ed: The flumetelini held up okay with the 19L pot, but not with the 30L.

...Tried Spray n Wipe' date=' Ajax, Gumption, etc. SWMBO never comments on it, but I'm sure she's saving it for a rainy day. Biggrin [/quote']Have you tried using Oven Cleaner? [unsure]

hunter1.jpg

It works for me! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Here's my stove:

03gp.jpg

You can plainly see which burner was used for boiling (over) wort.

It never recovered. Tried Spray n Wipe, Ajax, Gumption, etc. SWMBO never comments on it, but I'm sure she's saving it for a rainy day. [biggrin]

Anyway, I NEVER had trouble getting the 19L pot boiling. Never timed it either, sorry Lusty. Sure, my 3-ring is bigger, so is my OTS element, but I am working with far larger quantities!!!

To be honest, I reckon the biggest part of my brew days is still waiting for strike, mash, boil temps. You just work it into your planning, ie - don't plan to be done by any certain time! If anything, I think it was actually quicker (at least for the 19L) on the stove top. If your stove can't boil 15L reasonably quickly then it's probably not much chop (or it's electric [annoyed]).

Ed: The flumetelini held up okay with the 19L pot, but not with the 30L.

Put some alfoil on the stove before you boil, Master Baggins

Well lads, things could be going better with today's brew. Since starting with 3V I am having a tremendous amount of trouble working out how much heat I will lose from my strike water transferring to the mash tun. This morning I thought,'not going to get caught out this time' and drained to the MT at 78C. The temperature dropped so dramatically that it was a rush to get the grain in and the lid on for 66C, when I wanted to mash at 67. [crying]

Even adding a jug of boiling water didn't budge the temp, it just stayed where it was, probably losing as much heat by being stirred as it gained from the water.

I reckon in future I'm just going to get my strike water near boiling and then wait for it to come down to temp in the mash tun.

66 is still okay but was hoping for a bit more body on this one. It's an APA with Mosaic hops so I get to see what all the fuss is about.

Pitched the yeast into my Dubbel Dragon brew this morning too.

Gotta love labour day. [cool]

Well lads' date=' things could be going better with today's brew. Since starting with 3V I am having a tremendous amount of trouble working out how much heat I will lose from my strike water transferring to the mash tun. This morning I thought,'not going to get caught out this time' and drained to the MT at 78C. The temperature dropped so dramatically that it was a rush to get the grain in and the lid on for 66C, when I wanted to mash at 67. [crying']

Even adding a jug of boiling water didn't budge the temp, it just stayed where it was, probably losing as much heat by being stirred as it gained from the water.

I reckon in future I'm just going to get my strike water near boiling and then wait for it to come down to temp in the mash tun.

66 is still okay but was hoping for a bit more body on this one. It's an APA with Mosaic hops so I get to see what all the fuss is about.

That is exactly why I knocked up a HERMS for about $200.

Mashing in and realising the temp is 64c is not fun!

You will be ok though, from what I can tell, Mosaic is sweeter as opposed to resinous/piney so you have plenty of deep flavour to carry the beer.

I went 20% wheat and munich in mine, seemed too much wheat at the start, but after 2 weeks the flavours came together and it was wonderful. Then it blew.

problem was.. i wasnt there ;)

can you use your immersion heater placed into the mash tun for 5 minutes or so to bring it up to heat??

Well lads' date=' things could be going better with today's brew. Since starting with 3V I am having a tremendous amount of trouble working out how much heat I will lose from my strike water transferring to the mash tun. This morning I thought,'not going to get caught out this time' and drained to the MT at 78C. The temperature dropped so dramatically that it was a rush to get the grain in and the lid on for 66C, when I wanted to mash at 67. [crying']

Just did a short 10m boil of 20g Cascade and 30g Nelson S' date=' and then 15g Nelson S more at flameout. Doing another IPA, with 1.5kg LDM, 150g BE1 (because I wanted to get rid of it) and US-05, up to 22liters. Whatever I do with the IPA kit it is still very drinkable :) [/quote']

Might have spoken a little early. Just bottled this at 1.010, but the beer smelled kinda "old yeasty", like the krausen can do sometimes. Tasted FG sample and didn't taste off (not sure since I never used Nelson before). Anyway, bottled anyway, and will check in about 2 weeks :)

Hey Gang,[happy]

It's brew day!!![happy] [happy]

This is my 1st brew day since Sept. 1. That a month and a half!!![w00t] My work has been rather busy as of late and i've barely been home in the past coupla' months[annoyed] .

Anyways, I'm happy to be back at it![biggrin]

This is what I managed to put down:

Brown AleK&B

1.7Kg OS Dark Ale

1Kg DME (light)

.1Kg Choc malt

.1Kg Honey malt

.075 Crystal 120L

10g Hallertau 7.3% (10mins)

21L

Windsor sprinkled dry @ 20C

Grains Crushed & steeped for 30mins

OG 1.055ish

This one looks promising![tongue]

It's brew day here too! [biggrin]

Doing that SNPA clone recipe I came across. Currenly about 50 odd minutes left in the mash.

Grain Bill

5.22 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US

0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L

Hop Bill

20.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 22.9 IBUs

18.00 g Perle [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 9.1 IBUs

30.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min 5.7 IBUs

60.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min (Flameout)

Wyeast 1056 fermented at 18-19C.

Planned on mashing for 90 minutes at 66C but by the time I got all the grain in and measured the temp it was at 65, I couldn't be bothered turning the urn back on with the bag in there - I tried this last time and it just switched off after about 2 seconds.

75 minute hop boil and will be using Brewbrite for the first time on this one just to see how it goes.

Can't wait to get it fermented and bottled to do a side by side test and see how close it actually gets. [happy]

Well this SNPA clone is all done and in the cube. I didn't hit the numbers exactly, but close enough for rock n' roll.

Pre-boil volume and gravity was 33.5 litres and 1.041.

Post-boil volume approx. 25 litres at 1.050 SG. (Target 1.053)

I did boil a bit longer than 75 minutes to account for the extra pre boil volume (expected 32L), however the hops were still added at the proper times.

Mash eff. 82.2%

Total eff. 73.1%

Pretty happy with that, I seem to be hitting 72-73% consistently lately so I might adjust for that in Beersmith. Currently setting to 75%.

Meanwhile, I pitched my starter of 1275 Thames Valley yeast into a batch of English ale last night at about 5pm, now it's got about a 5 or 6 inch krausen on it and it's touching the lid on the FV. [lol]

Hey Otto,

I'll be interested to hear what that brews FG turns out like.

My SNPA recipe always comes up a bit low at around 1.009ish instead of 1.013 like it should be. I brew my recipe with US-05 and you brew yours with W1056 which I believe is the same strain. This strain attenuates at 81%. I've always (up until resently) set my AA% on Brewmate at 75%(default) instead of 81% as the Fermentis website states. This makes a significant difference to the final outcome of the brew.

Maybe this is old news for you but it is all new to me![roll]

Archived