Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bahhahahah umm yeah...

DAY 3!!!

so.. should i go some cascade/centenial/chinook? to mix the flavours?

ive not played with hopping before.. so really dont know the exact attributes each will bring..

Use whatever hops you want, I usually go with Hallertau, but have used Cascade before with good results.

Generally speaking hops will make an ordinary beer good, and a good beer great, but it's a matter of personal taste, for some a little aroma or bitterness is good, for others it may be overpowering.

As you say it's day 3 I'd recommend you do a dry hop, which really is just putting in some flowers/pellets/bags directly into the FV.

If using flower or pellets, I'd recommend placing them in some sort of bag; you can get cheap stocking socks which do the job fine - this will save you having to separate the solids at bottling time.

Generally you can only get a good variety of hops from your local home brew store (LHBS), so go there and see what the store owner recommends. I'd also recommend using a lot less than the home brew guy recommends, as it takes a while to get your palate used to the flavour and aroma of hops, and what he/she finds great you may find overpowering.

I've used anywhere from 20g to about 50g with good results.

Some also recommend using something to weigh down your bag of hops, as otherwise it will float about the top with a nice gooey mass of yeast stuck to it. You can use anything from marbles to decorative glass pebbles, just make sure you wash them and sterilise with napisan first.

BTW - the beer I've brewed with added hops have been heaps better than those I've done without.

Kit beers have bittering hops added during the manufacturing process, but you can really only get that fresh hops aroma from dry hopping; unless there's some brewing tip I'm not aware of.

cheers beeble! got some hops socks already. and some gauze cloth form philbo!

weighing them down will be the issue. guess i cant use a lead sinker from fishing... ill grab some marbles from the toy section :)

just thinking diffent hops will add a better complexity to the flavours aromas than just using the same?

Brewed the nut brown ale (Partial) at the bottom of linked thread linky

day went well. A brew day of firsts. First time using liquid yeast, first starter, first time taking a pre-boil reading. So, could someone help me with working out my efficiency? My pre-boil gravity was 1038 (I've adjusted for wort temp). Based on a 10L boil volume and the grain bill, how did I go? Edit: yes mentioning the boil volume would be useful, maybe that's why the forum went down. [pinched]

cheers beeble! got some hops socks already. and some gauze cloth form philbo!

weighing them down will be the issue. guess i cant use a lead sinker from fishing... ill grab some marbles from the toy section :)

just thinking diffent hops will add a better complexity to the flavours aromas than just using the same?

You certainly could add a number of different hops, and it would add to the complexity, but you could overdo it, or you could find it works out just right, it's a bit out of my experience, as thus far I've only steeped, and dry hopped, and even then only with single strain hops and only about half a dozen times.

It's up to you, and I know some go full bore then tone it down, but if it was me, I'd start with just a little of one strain, see how that goes, then next batch maybe add a little of another with the original.

It's really a matter of personal preference, taste, and willingness to experiment, but of course you don't want to go too far and make an undrinkable beer.

The marbles should be fine, so long as you wash them and give them a bit of a soak in napisan or whatever you use to sterilize.

If you choose to do a mixed hop, make sure you don't use too much, or you'll end up with too strong a hop aroma, and may drown out the subtlety in your beer, so maybe make sure in total you use no more than say 50g of hops for the first go around.

No probs leaving it in the FV until bottling time either, as if it's bagged up and sunk it shouldn't clog the tap or disturb the trub too much.

The best way to find out what a single hop brings to the brew is to use it on its own. Cascade is a great hop, I use it in just about every pale ale I brew, except the English ones. If you like what it does, then you can experiment trying it in combination with another hop.

Or, you could just try a combination straight up, but it won't really give you an idea of what each of the hops brings to the brew on their own.

I'll probably get myself on the bad side of a few people here, but I reckon Centennial poops all over Cascade. Similar flavour but with far more oomph.

You did good, son. [cool]

I probably agree. I love Cascade but I think Centennial has more flavour.

It is also a good bittering hop with a decent AA% so it is a very useful hop to have on hand.

well with the benefit of a forum blessing... i am happy :)

75 grams of centenial left.. for further usage..

Phil... im starting to build a collection..

75grams centenial, 90 grams citra, 25 grams styrian gouldings..

400 grams light crystal malt, 250 choc malt, and 300 grams roasted..

the collection grows... ;)

I have about 450g of Centennial on hand so I might have to start using it once I run out of the Cascade I have left. I have used it before, when I did the Centenarillo Ale (in combo with Amarillo) and it turned out a really nice beer. In fact I might just brew an APA and use it instead of Cascade next time and see for myself what it brings to the brew. [biggrin]

Kelsey, I have a recipe for a single hopped Centennial Ale in this (or the other) thread. That was a great beer and perfect for summer.

I am going to do it again but tweak the grain bill a little. I can't do the exact same beer twice [innocent]

I am going to do it again but tweak the grain bill a little. I can't do the exact same beer twice [innocent]

I know that feeling. [lol] I might brew a porter or something like that for winter first, as I've already done a couple of APAs recently, one bottled, one going in the FV after this English one is bottled. But after that I'll give it a go for sure.

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of brewing the following this coming weekend.

Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract 1.5kgs

Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Barret Burston Ale Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal Malt grain 250gms

Munich Malt grain 250gms

Barret Burston Wheat Malt grain 250gms

CaraHell 150gms

6 Litre Hop Boil:

Citra 10gms @ FWH

Centennial 10gms @ 60mins

Amarillo 15gms@ 15mins

Centennial 15gms @ 10mins

Amarillo 15gms @ 5mins

Centennial 25gms @ flameout

Falconer's Flight 15gms dry hopped

Amarillo 15gms dry hopped

Cascade 15gms dry hopped

US-05 yeast

Brewed to 23 litres.

OG = approx. 1.047

FG = approx. 1.012

EBC = approx. 14.5

IBU = approx. 37.8

Bottled ABV = approx. 5.0%

I'm primarily interested in thoughts on my Munich Malt amount & Medium Crystal amount. I've not used Munich grain before, so very interested in thoughts on that quantity in particular.

All thoughts welcomed.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived