Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

Alright! My new Techniice mash tun is holding hot water' date=' the weather is lovely, and it's finally time to brew my Dubbel Dragon! [happy']

Doing a full bodied mash (69c) but using 10% sugar. Should be a doozie! Looking at > 7.5%ABV.

How did the new mash tun go?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to do another Newcastle Brown Ale to commemorate the Brown and Yellow victory yesterday but was heaps reluctant to pay the near on $50 for the BC version so I did the next best thing and invented my own which will be nothing like the original. Alas here it is.

Name:\t\tSalisbury Dark Brown Ale

Kit:\t\tCoopers Original Series Dark Ale Extract 1.7 kg

Fermentables: \t1000 g LDME

\t\t500 g Brown Sugar

\t\t200 g Caramalt

\t\t200 g Chocolate Malt

\t\t100 g Roasted Barley

Volume: \t23 Litres

Hops:\t\t30 g Challenger @ 60 minutes

\t\t10 g Challenger @ 15 minutes

\t\t10 g Fuggles @ 0 minutes\t\t

O.G.\t\t1052

F.G.\t\t

Yeast:\t\tSafale 04

Brewed: \t28-09-2013

Bottled: \t00-00-2013\t

Notes: \t\tMashed grains in at 68\xb0C, had trouble maintain temp due to the small grain bill and smaller volume of water. I used a grain bag for the first time here and wish I had done it differently. I re-flamed the pot a couple of times and the finishing temp was around 63\xb0C - not too bad I guess. Once the grains had mashed for 45 minutes I dunked the bag into a second pot of 8o\xb0C water to \u201csparge\u201d. Transferred the remaining wort to the sparge water and boiled and added the hops as per the schedule. Cooled the wort and transferred to FV. Added the other fermentables and the dark ale can and made up to 23 litres. Pitched the yeast which had been activated (barely \u2013 3 hours in DME solution) at 25\xb0C. Bubbling away nicely by bedtime.

Too many during the football made this whole process way too hard with the kitchen a bit of a sticky brown mess by the end of it.

The primary tasted very bitter but hopefully that will mellow out in time.

Brewing my 2nd Hobgoblin clone, for a mates 28th in 2 weeks.

First time using the HERMS setup. About 33L into the kettle and SG 1.039. Wanted 32L and 1.042.

Should still be better than the first, as I maintained a mash temp of 69c unlike before.

Need a bigger HLT for sure. The mash/boil sparge water/sparge/boil more sparge water merry go round sucks.

I ordered a brand new fancy Hanna thermometer the other day for use in my brewing, mainly the mashing stage. It should get here either today or tomorrow so I'll be able to use it on my next brew day either Thurs or Fri this week. I think I'll make up an English ale recipe so I can use one of my new liquid yeasts on it sooner rather than later. [cool]

Just threw together something I hope will turn out a nice "Gl\xf6gg", or Mulled Wine for the cold winter here. There's a pretty good recipe here in Sweden that I modified a bit. I'll let you all know the results later :)

Cinnamon sticks, 12g

Clove, 20g (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clove I think)

Ginger powder, 25g

Cardamom, 10g

Raisins, 250g

Potatoes, 5pcs

Blueberries, 450g

Apple Juice, 5liter

Sugar, 3kg

Baking yeast

Hi Nick.

That looks good Tobias' date=' but i'm not sure about the spuds???[/quote']

Oddly enough Nick, the spuds in Tobias's recipe are used in much the same way barley is used. Spuds just like barley, contain starches. Those starches can be converted into fermentable sugars.

Here is an article by Mr. Wizard from BYO magazine explaining it way better than I ever could. [wink]

Potato Beer, Scaling Recipes: Mr Wizard

Good luck with the brew Tobias! [cool]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Was a bit worried since I made the gl\xf6gg in a regular bucket (food grade though, with a plastic lid), and I could see no signs of fermentation for the first 1,5 days. Today when I got home from work I thought I check on it again, and it was fizzing like crazy in the bucket. As usual I worry for nothing! :)

Smells wonderful in my apartment now too, like early christmas! ;)

glogg13_zpseb3a5665.jpg

I'm just about to go and fill the urn and start heating the strike water for the following recipe I'm brewing today, with my best mate coming over to check it all out as well.

Grains

Mash at 66C for 90 minutes with a mash out at 76ish deg.

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) 88.2 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) 5.9 %

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) 4.9 %

0.05 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) 1.0 %

Hops

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 min 14.2 IBUs

15.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 17.6 IBUs

20.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min 6.3 IBUs

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.5 IBUs

Wyeast 1275 fermented at 18-19C.

Expecting 24-25 litres out of the batch.

Beersmith predictions:

Estimated OG: 1.048 SG

Estimated FG: 1.010 SG

Estimated Color: 21.9 EBC

Estimated IBU: 40.6 IBUs

Estimated ABV: 5% (5.3%/5.4% bottled)

This will be my first time using liquid yeast, so interested to see how it turns out. [happy]

Good luck with the ESB & the liquid yeast Kelsey.

My only usage with a liquid yeast (WYeast 2000 Budvar Lager) turned out very well. [happy]

If I could be bothered harvesting & re-using them more than once, I'd use them more often.

Enjoy the brew day with your mate. [cool]

P.S. What tunes have you got cranking?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Cheers mate. [biggrin]

Brew day went really well. I pretty much hit my expected numbers, only a couple of points under predicted gravities pre and post boil so I'm not too concerned about that.

My mate was interested in the process, asking questions about what this and that is and what causes whatever, and during the doughing in did the stirring while I slowly tipped the grains in, resulting in no lumps! So much easier.. might have to con one of the olds in to doing that next time. [lol]

Had a few brews, a lunch break while the grain bag drained which was good timing. All cleaned up and finished about 6pm.

Unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to set the speakers up and play any tunes this time, however now I've had Maiden, Priest, Hendrix, Lizzy Borden, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Motley Crue and Motorhead playing tonight, among others.

All in all a great day, and will be putting this one in the FV once I bottle the brew that's currently in there. [biggrin]

the Maris Otter seems to clump more and be harder to break up than other base malts
Yes' date=' I find the MO seems to produce a lot more flour when milled - this is what I put the tendency for clumping down to [pinched']

Ahhhh.

It's when I read situations like that, I'm glad I only do partials. [biggrin]

I've used MO (obviously smaller amounts) in some of my partials to freshen up some brews & really loved what it gave to the beer. [joyful]

Anthony.

Lusty' date=' you should try a stove top AG, even if it is 12-15 litres. You can do a high gravity boil and dilute in the FV.[/quote']

You are spot on as usual Hairy. I have had thoughts of doing something similar.

Currently I use two 8 litre pots. My current procedure involves mashing grains in one of these pots in my oven. At most I've used 2.5kgs of grain. My oven does a great job holding temperature. I then strain the runnings from this into the other 8 litre pot. Rinse the original grains with 3 or so litres of 70\xb0C water each time & add those secondary runnings to create the bulk of the wort for my hop boil volumes each brew.

For those that do partials on the stovetop it can be a real PITA getting your liquid volumes to temp (particularly boiling) due to your stove burners not being large enough most of the time to deal with these volumes quickly.

I'd certainly need another pot if I was to go down this route. I could effectively mash the 2 x 8 litre pots in the oven & have the third pot as a receiving vessel for wort to be used for the hop boil. It would have to be a pretty large pot though!

I've heard stories from guys who do these sorts of volumes on their stovetop & they claim things are melting all around the outskirts of this pot they are trying to reach boil with, & yet the pot seems to take forever to get there! [lol] [lol]

I'm getting good results from my extract brews, but concede the AG brewing does produce a fresher livelier beer in most cases.

Maybe one day. [cool]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Before I got my burner, I even did a few batches in my 30L pot on the stove. [cool]

The big element handled it alright, but the iron support stuff which goes over the stove to hold the pot off the flame (I don't know what the fark it's called, get off my back!) had trouble holding up the weight. The 19L pot was no problem at all, and with maxi-biab I was doing 20L batches easy.

Solution... get a burner, OTS element, or a decent stove! [lol]

Before I got my burner' date=' I even did a few batches in my 30L pot on the stove. [cool']

The big element handled it alright, but the iron support stuff which goes over the stove to hold the pot off the flame (I don't know what the fark it's called, get off my back!) had trouble holding up the weight. The 19L pot was no problem at all, and with maxi-biab I was doing 20L batches easy.

Solution... get a burner, OTS element, or a decent stove! [lol]

I can't believe you didn't know what a flumetelini was called [unsure]

Archived