Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a big friggin' way. I moved to a 10 min adjustment a while ago and am thinking of changing it to 5 min soon. [annoyed]

Nothing to add here I just saw the opportunity to have my name on all the posts n the active discussion section of the forum. I love the sound of my own voice. Sorry [innocent]

As you were [rightful]

In a big friggin' way. I moved to a 10 min adjustment a while ago and am thinking of changing it to 5 min soon. [annoyed]

Nothing to add here I just saw the opportunity to have my name on all the posts n the active discussion section of the forum. I love the sound of my own voice. Sorry [innocent]

As you were [rightful]

Enjoy it while it lasts [rightful]

Nothing to add here I just saw the opportunity to have my name on all the posts n the active discussion section of the forum

You've just joined a pretty exclusive club Scottie. The only other members are Lusty and the Hobbit[biggrin]

EDIT...and nedgLOL,hoW culd i fourget LOL

(g'day old mate if your reading, hope your on the mend)

Brew Day today![joyful] [cool] [innocent]

So, today I put down the Irish Stout I've been pondering.

Irish Stout

3.5Kg ESB malt

.2Kg Roasted Barley

.152Kg Black Pat malt

.101Kg Choc malt

.05Kg Crystal 80L

30g Fuggles 4.1% FWH

20g Magnum 12.5% 60mins

21L

2l starter W 1084 Irish Ale pitched @ 17.6C

Mashed @ 68C for 60mins

With this one I blew my mash effiency and ended up with 71% instead of the intended 75%. This gave my an OG of 1.040 instead of 1.044 after collecting 21.5 L of wort in the FV. Oh well! I think I ran my sparge too fast and maybe I should have mashed at a slightly lower temp.[unsure]

Looks great Chad' date=' but I hope you like your stout [i']sweet[/i].

68C mash and all that crystal! [w00t]

No![annoyed] Do you think this will turn out sweet?[surprised] I didn't think it was too much. I am yusing W 1084 which is a very dry yeast. I am now wondering about the temp though. too warm[pinched] .

The roasted malt should help counter the sweetness a little so I don't think it will be overly sweet.

Perhaps you could have mashed a little lower if you wanted it a little drier. You could always add some dex during the fermentation to bring it up to your planned OG without raising the FG.

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale.

Close, but I didn't have any of the stuff. No wheat cans here so light malt instead, no Amarillo so Perle then Cascade for dry hop.

Umm, actually nothing like it. Oh well.

Sierra Nevada clone a week ago.

Black Rocks cider with 2kg sugar and wine yeast is on the go too.

Hi guys.

I've got quite a few "bits & pieces" that I need to do something with to move them on. The grain cupboard is starting to look like the storeroom for a bakery, & if I don't start to move through some of the hop varieties that have piled up, I'll have to start integrating them into main meals as they are taking up a good space of room in my fridge/freezer! [pinched] [lol]

Here's what I came up with for brew day today...

Briess Golden LME 1.5kg (Sorry couldn't get Coopers where I was at the time)

Light DME 530gms

Barret Burston Ale Malt grain 670gms

CaraMalt 200gms

Aromatic Malt grain 100gms

Light Crystal grain 100gms

Barret Burston Wheat Malt grain 200gms

CaraPils 100gms

6 Litre Hop Boil:

Cascade 20gms FWH

Mt. Hood 20gms @ 60mins

Cluster 15gms @ 15mins

Cascade 25gms @ 5mins

Falconer's Flight 25gms dry hopped

US-05 yeast

Brewed to 23 litres

OG = approx. 1.047

FG = approx. 1.012

IBU = approx. 32-36 (Estimated due to FWH)

EBC = 14.4

Bottled ABV = approx. 5.0%

All thoughts welcomed.

I'm looking forward to using some new ingredients (for me) in the next few weeks including Munich Malt, CaraMunich, & CaraHell. [joyful]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Skookum.

There's a bit of a story behind the "Falconer's Flight" hops that can be found here...

Origin of Falconer's Flight Hops

I did a single hop APA with it back in April, & let's just say it didn't last long! [biggrin]

Being that it is an American based product, it's probably easier for you to get hold of Chad, than for us down here in AUS!

It seems to be somewhat seasonal, & has limited availability from what I've noticed through the amount of home brew retailers I use.

Being a mix of very nice Northwest American hop varieties, I'd certainly recommend giving it a go if you can get your hands on some. [wink]

My recipe is actually meant to be a variant on a SNPA. I subbed the Perle for Cluster & dry hopped with the Falconer's Flight. Fingers crossed anyways. [tongue]

Cheers,

Anthony.

After being reprimanded by Chad I thought I would post a beer I made a few weeks ago. It tastes pretty good out of the FV. It is a smoked IPA:

2.75kg Perle ale malt

2.0kg Weyermann smoked malt

700g Carared

700g medium crystal

35g Target (11.4%) @ 50 minutes

15g Styrian Goldings (3.4%) @ 5 minutes

25g Challenger (8.4%) @ 0 minutes

25g Target @ 0 minutes

20g Challenger - dry hop

20g Target - dry hop

No chill

Burton Union Ale yeast

23 litres

OG - 1.058

FG - 1.015

IBU - 62.7

Hey Hairy,

Thanks for the post. Sorry I had to get rough with you![ninja] [biggrin]

That looks like a hell of an IPA. Those gravity reading are interesting. 5.8%avb reasonably low. It finished nice and sweet with bitterness in the 60's to balance things out. I'm always a fan of smoked malt to make things rich and complex. 2Kg of smoked malt seems like a ton to me[unsure]. I've maxed out at 500g in any recipe I've created. Maybe more is even better!

What's perle Malt?

Bottled it today and it tastes [love]

Looking forward to tasting it in a few weeks. You should give it a go Chad.

I mentioned this in another thread but I thought I would add it to the brew day thread.

15 minutes and it was all done and dusted [cool]

1.7kg Coopers Wheat Beer kit

1.5kg Cooper liquid wheat malt

Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen (ferment at 21 degrees)

21 litres

I was contemplating throwing mangos (or nectar) in at some stage but decided against it. I quite like a standard hefeweizen and didn't want to stuff up a whole batch.

I did buy some mango nectar so if the urge takes hold I can add a slug of it to a glass.

Bottled it today and it tastes [love]

Looking forward to tasting it in a few weeks. You should give it a go Chad.

Thanks Hairy. I'll keep it in mind! I'd have to make another order for some bits and pieces before I can even think about that one.

I think I'll smoke some 2-row today in preperation. I'm lighting up the smoker today to smoke a couple of slabs of bacon so why not, eh!?

So you smoke your own [cool]

That might account for the quantities you use. The Weyermann smoked malt isn't the smokiest going around. It isn't like peat smoked malt.

Perhaps your malt is very smokey and hence the need to use less.

I've got 250g of 2-row smoking right now over Hickory along with two slabs of bacon! It's been smoking for around an hour or so. I'll keep it going for a couple of hours more i'm sure. So, how knows how smokey it is. I'll tell you about it when I taste it in a brew someday[joyful] !

put down a Thomas Coopers IPA kit with 250grm of crystal steeped and added with 30gram of citra for 5 minutes of the boil.

Going to dry hop on day 30 with some more citra ( all i got on hand or should i buy some cascade or another C to dry hop with?? ))

also put down an " Unreal Ale" using the coopers recipe site. added in 250gm of crystal and also 50 grams of chocolate steeped and on the boil i added in 25 grams of styrian gouldings.

both have been pitched with Danstarr Nottingham yeast for a fast ferment on a time poor schedule.

both are blooping[roll] away af 4-5hrs from pitching yeast. [love]

Archived