Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I know Phil beat me to it but I don't care. [lol]

I do screen shots by hitting the print screen button on my keyboard, then opening MS Paint, and clicking Edit > Paste. It pastes the whole screen but you can re size it to only use a portion of it, as I did with that shot a few posts back. [cool]

Summer is coming...

Which means it's time for a Foreign Extra Stout!!! [devil]

Crushed the grain for this baby earlier today. Mashing in at the sparrow's fart tomorrow morning.

5.3kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt

1.0kg Wheat Malt

0.5kg Roasted Barley

Pacific Gem 12.8% to 50IBUs

Mash @ 68-69C

Ferment with Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley Ale @ 22C

OG 1.062

FG 1.016

ABV (after bottling) ~6.5% depending on attenuation after a mash that high. [unsure]

Looking forward to it. [happy]

That's uncanny because I'm brewing exactly the same thing next weekend. Not exactly the same recipe as I haven't even come up with it yet, but the same style. [innocent]

SWMBO has taken a liking to stouts, but I also want to brew a dark heavy brew to age for next winter as well. This will be my first all grain stout so definitely looking forward to seeing how it turns out. [biggrin]

Nice. [cool] Hit my mash temp perfectly @ 69c.

But now I'm wondering...

At that temp it's probably going to be pretty thick and sweet. I didn't put any crystal in for this reason. Do we all reckon 50 IBUs is high enough to balance it, or should I up it to match the high mash temps? I reckon half a kilo of RB will add to the perceived bitterness anyway, but just putting it out there.

(Heh, heh. Putting out.)

I think you will be fine Phil. The high mash temp will give it a heavy body but that doesn't necessarily mean it is sweet. The dextrins produced at that temp shouldn't be sweet in the way that crystal malt is sweet.

Is that mash temp pretty standard for the style?

Let us know how it goes.

I have a brew day planned this weekend; either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'm brewing a Dark Mild.

3.6kg Marris Otter

300g Medium Crystal

200g Aromatic malt

200g Biscuit malt

120g Chocolate malt

35g Roasted Barley

20g Challenger (8.4%) @ 60 minutes

10g Challenger @ 10 minutes

Mash @ 70 degrees

Yeast - Windsor

OG - 1042

FG - 1013 (but I think it will finish higher)

IBU - 28

23 litres

I like having a mid strength on hand. Tasty beers that won't knock you about.

Interesting experiment you have going there Philbo. Mash temp vs specialty malt grain sweetness. I'll certainly be interested in your thoughts once it's at a decent drinking point. [cool]

I bottled Post#340 a little earlier today. Very prominent grapefruit aromas as expected. That FWH addition is quite unique in what it gives the end beer. I haven't done any FWH since earlier in the year when I did 4 brews in a row with the technique. I tell a lie, I did one back in early September with the BRY-97 yeast that failed on me! [pinched] Damn BRY-97 yeast! [lol]

The FV sample tasted nice. I just hope I've got my bitterness level right. Despite the IBU number quoted, these FWH influenced hop schedules can present quite differently to normal hopping schedules to the same IBU value in the end beer.

It's still a bit of a "craps shoot" for me with the FWH addition & balancing the end bitterness from it. The flavour produced from it is well worth my continued interest & usage of it though. [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Looks like a nice recipe Hairy. [cool]

I've not used Biscuit Malt as yet, & have been eyeing off the prospect of using it or some Victory Malt in some upcoming brews.

I'm curious with a recipe like that, what would be a commercial version beer that something like that would be based on?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Looks like a nice recipe Hairy. [cool]

I've not used Biscuit Malt as yet, & have been eyeing off the prospect of using it or some Victory Malt in some upcoming brews.

I'm curious with a recipe like that, what would be a commercial version beer that something like that would be based on?

Cheers,

Anthony.

I don't know of any commercial versions here in Australia. There aren't too many nice mid strengths in Australia at all. I find mid strength lagers to be bland and watery.

The only middies I drink here are Little Creatures Rogers' Ale [love] and Murray's Punch & Judy.

I also haven't tried biscuit before.

I have previously brewed Dr Smurto's Light Amber Ale with Cascade and Galaxy. It came in around 2.8% ABV but you wouldn't think it was that light.

My dark mild above is a recipe by Manticle on AHB. I am doing a single infusion mash rather than a step mash though.

Yeah, it was clear the recipe is not based on anything locally produced. It certainly looked like something UK-based. [ninja]

Yeah I'm a big fan of Little Creatures Rogers too. [love]

Creating flavour like that in a lower ABV% beer is a real art I reckon, given the difficulties of using less fermentables to achieve that flavour. [cool]

Good luck with the brew Hairy & let me know what you think of the Biscuit Malt if it is noticeable in the end beer. [wink]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Is that mash temp pretty standard for the style?

The article in BYO that I read suggests the range 67-69. I wanted some real guts to this one without it being too sweet. I want something you need a knife and fork to consume. With 1275 and this mash profile, Beersmith suggests I will end up with around 1.016, but I'm secretly hoping it will finish a little higher. [happy]

Just laid down my Partial Mash mid strength Ashes Ale Variant.

Quick & Dirty Pale Ale:

Coopers APA can

1 kg of Marris Otter

15g Ella @ 8 mins

15g Styrian Goldings @ 5 mins

Wyeast 1968 pitched direct from the trub at 20'C.

Didn't get my normal mash efficiency and I reckon it was due to the crush. Used a battery drill for the first time probably a bit fast. Hanging out for my low speed high torque DC servo motor.

Anyway OG was 1.035

Still awaiting my grains for my first AG, can't leave a FV empty now can we?

IPA time.

Coopers IPA

500g DME in 5 litres

12g Magnum @ 30

25g Motueka @ 5

add a further 1kg DME

US-05 @ 18\xb0

will dry hop with 25 Motueka

OG 1050 tastes really bitter... yum!

Just laid down my Partial Mash mid strength Ashes Ale Variant.

Quick & Dirty Pale Ale:

Coopers APA can

1 kg of Marris Otter

15g Ella @ 8 mins

15g Styrian Goldings @ 5 mins

Wyeast 1968 pitched direct from the trub at 20'C.

Didn't get my normal mash efficiency and I reckon it was due to the crush. Used a battery drill for the first time probably a bit fast. Hanging out for my low speed high torque DC servo motor.

Anyway OG was 1.035

That looks like a really nice drop Scottie.

Perhaps you could run the grain through twice until you get the new drill.

Still awaiting my grains for my first AG, can't leave a FV empty now can we?

IPA time.

Coopers IPA

500g DME in 5 litres

12g Magnum @ 30

25g Motueka @ 5

add a further 1kg DME

US-05 @ 18\xb0

will dry hop with 25 Motueka

OG 1050 tastes really bitter... yum!

Nice one Ben. It should be quite bitter but I think it will have the malt backbone to handle it.

And the IPA kit with a heap of Motueka is [love]

Hi Ben 10.

Your recipe should produce a beer close to the style guidelines for an English IPA. Perceived bitterness is subjective from one person to another, & your brew certainly won't lack for that in the low to mid 50's IBU mark.

If it were me, I'd add-in a small grain steep with some light/medium crystal grain of approx. 150-250gms to bring the malt influence up to a point of where it blends well at your current IBU level.

That said, my tastes, may not be your tastes. [innocent]

Good luck with the brew. [wink]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks guys, new to this whole better than K+K bizzo.

Still getting my head around the flavours available to us.

Crystal went in my SNPA clone and was too sweet, if this turns out well I'll try the crystal next time.

Thanks for not being can snobs...

I have a brew day planned this weekend; either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'm brewing a Dark Mild.

3.6kg Marris Otter

300g Medium Crystal

200g Aromatic malt

200g Biscuit malt

120g Chocolate malt

35g Roasted Barley

20g Challenger (8.4%) @ 60 minutes

10g Challenger @ 10 minutes

Mash @ 70 degrees

Yeast - Windsor

OG - 1042

FG - 1013 (but I think it will finish higher)

IBU - 28

I like having a mid strength on hand. Tasty beers that won't knock you about.

Hey Hairy

I reckon something along these lines could be my first AG, it looks like the total mash volume would fit inside my 19 Litre Coleman. I would need to do a two pot boil though once I sparge. Like Anthony I'll been keen to here how it turns out.

Archived