Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could also do a higher gravity boil and dilute afterwards.

I used to do that with great results before I had big enough gear. I used 16L no chill cubes, and Brewmate has a nifty dilution tool where I'd type in 16L as starting vol and 23 as final vol. It adjusts colour, gravity, and IBUs, so with some playing around with that first, you can work out exactly what gravity/colour/IBUs you want for your concentrated wort, and that way, it takes into account the higher boil gravity for hops.

All worked out sweet.

thought i would try something a little different today and made a cervezon [biggrin] it's a bit of an experiment but will see how it goes.

coopers cerveza

1kg BE2

18g willamette 10 minute steep

1l of belle saison slurry (I'm loving this yeast)

figured it might be a cheap easy summer drinker, I'm not sure about the willamette but i've seen it in saison recipies before and I've had some lying around for ages so gave it a shot.

As bizarre as that might look to some on the forum, I reckon that could work ok MichaelJ13. It may just lack a little malt presence. Another 300-500gms of malt extract would give it an improved malt presence. Why am I harping on about "malt presence"? The Saison yeast you are using will attenuate above 80% most likely, thus stripping a lot of malt presence in doing so when it converts those sugars into alcohol.

Personally I think your end beer will be bordering on something tasting like sparkling wine & beer.

Don't worry about the Willamette, It'll work fine I reckon! [wink]

I have a good knowledge of wine & understand certain aspects of their making. Sparkling wine yeasts, & these Saison type yeasts have a lot in common IMHO. [ninja]

Cheers,

Anthony.

I know this yeast goes crazy! My last saison went from 1052 to 1000! I think that makes it something like 7% that's why I stuck to just the be2 and I figured that the maltodextrine will leave some king of malt flavour

The maltodextrin will leave body in the end beer, but not malt flavour. Only malt based ingredients can leave that.

Anthony.

It's brew day tommorow. I've got a Pale Ale PM planned. It's a bit of a bits and pieces brew using some ingredients I've had around for a while. It's quite a long list as I have some of this and some of that to fill the bill. Having said that, it's not justs a throw together brew. It's more a pairing of a few brews I have made in the last year that I really enjoyed brewing and drinking. The hop schedule is long and has a few different varieties in there but I have blended most of these together before and have been happy with the results. I'm looking for a more complex malt profile then just my usual single base malt. The one new ingredient for me in this brew is the Simcoe hops. We'll see how they go.

The one thing I'm still debating is the yeast. It's a toss up between Windsor and US-05. What do you guys think?

1.5Kg Pale Ale Malt

.8Kg DME (light)

.566 LME (amber)

.5Kg ESB malt

.5Kg Rye malt

.4Kg Crystal 80L

.3Kg Rice Hulls

10g Cascade 5.3% (FWH)

15g Perle 8.6% (60mins)

10g Magnum 12.6 (40mins)

10g Simcoe 11.2% (5mins)

10g Amarillo 8.6 (0mins)

15g Chinook 11.4% (0mins)

10g Cascade (Dry hop)

10g amarillo (dry hop)

10g Simcoe (dry hop)

Mash @ 66C for 60mins

Hi Skookum.

+1 to using the US-05.

I like your hop schedule. [love] It should be interesting to see how it shows up among the near kilo of sweeter type crystal grain flavours in the brew. I think you'll enjoy what the Simcoe has to offer.

I really enjoyed what it gave in a couple of APA brews I did a few months ago. I used it for bittering & a flameout addition in both cases, in combination with similar hop types as you have used. [cool]

Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Gang,

I put this brew down yesterday with no hitches.

I ended up following advice (and my own gut feeling) and used the US-05. There was asmall change to the hop schedule with the omition of the chinook (they were not lookin quite fresh enough for my liking) and instead bumped both the Amarillo and Cascade @ 0mins to 20g each.

Lusty, there is only 400g of crystal in there.[wink]

The brew smell great in the FV! I'm looking forward to this one![happy]

Well,

The jar of LME I used in the brew is an organic Barley malt that is not solely intended for brewing. It is darker in colour than light LME but I don't think it has crystal malt in it. I'm not sure though. I only called it Amber to define the colour.[roll]

Very observent(sp?[pinched] ) though, Lusty

The jar of LME I used in the brew is an organic Barley malt that is not solely intended for brewing.

Ohh No!! [surprised

Saunders Malt Extract is even in Canada!! [lol]

Is there no place on this planet safe from it's grasp? [pinched]

[biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Today was brew day for me, & finally got around to brewing something very close to the recipe I listed in Post #373.

The only real alteration of note was that I doubled the Munich Malt grain amount based on conversations with a few of you guys in the last week or so. [cool]

With 10 minutes to go in the boil, I also threw in some yeast to act as nutrient for the primary ferment. I felt it might be a good idea, as I wish to ferment this brew a little lower with the US-05 yeast at approx. 15\xb0C to see what the end brew throws.

The brew wort smelled very nice once mixed into the FV. I have very BIG expectations for this brew, & above all other things, I just hope I've got my bitterness levels right from the combo of predominantly the FWH, 60min & 20min hop amounts.

Time will tell. I have my fingers & toes crossed for this one! [unsure]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thought I'd post a recipe that's in the FV currently . It's going to be a fruity punch in the face. Good for summer though.

500g Vienna

700g Light DME

10g Mosaic @ 45

10g Mosaic @ 10

20g Mosaic @ Flameout

1kg Amber LME

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale

Filled to 22L

US-05

30g Mosaic Dry hopped

She's on , Saison.

Along with getting called into work twice, loading the trailer twice, making two trips to the dump and cooking a barbie for dinner I managed to get this brew done between 4pm and 830pm.

I even fitted in a shower [lol] .

Scottie's Farmhouse Ale

3.2 kg of Pilsner mashed at 66 degrees.

25g of EKG at 10 mins

25g of Styrian at FO

Thomas Coopers Pilsner kit

Wyeast 3726 pitched at 23 degrees celsius

OG 1.052

Update:

A Krausen has formed inles sthan 10 hours [biggrin]

[biggrin]

Brew day again for me. This time is an attempt at a Special bitter along the lines of a Boddington's Pub Ale. Boddie's is one of my all time favourite brews. I've been meaning to try to brew something along these lines for a while. I finally had what I thought was the right ingredients at the brewery to make a fair shot at this great beer.

Boddie's Pub Ale

3.5Kg ESB malt

.2Kg Pale Ale Malt

.2Kg Honey malt

.1Kg Crystal 80L

.1Kg Wheat malt

.03Kg Chocolate malt

20g Perle 8.6% (60mins)

10g Challenger 6.7% (40mins)

10g Challenger (5mins)

10g Fuggles 4.1% (5mins)

Windor

21L

mashed at 66C fermented @ 18C IBU 33 OG 1.050

Just don't add any priming sugar to it Chad. I had a can of it not long ago and it might as well have been flat.[lol] Nice flavour though. Me and SWMBO have been sampling a crapton of English ales recently. St Peter's Ruby Red Ale is the favourite so far. It comes in an oval shaped green bottle.

Anyway, we did a brew day on Sunday. It was meant to be on Saturday but we stayed up drinking Sierras until like 7am so that didn't happen. [lol]

The recipe was the stout I posted in another thread but I'll put it in here too:

5.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 77.5 %

0.50 kg Munich Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 2 7.0 %

0.50 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 3 7.0 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 4 4.2 %

0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 5 2.8 %

0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 6 1.4 %

50.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 51.6 IBUs

1275 Yeast.

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 % (7.0% bottled)

Bitterness: 51.6 IBUs

Est Color: 66.8 EBC

Mashed for 90 minutes, started at 68C, after 45 minutes it had dropped to 67C, and after the full 90 minutes it dropped to around 64C, so I don't really know what effect that will have on the FG but guess I'll find out when it goes into the FV.

It went pretty smoothly overall, although we had more trouble than usual getting the grain bag out of the urn, probably because it had 2kg extra grain in it than I normally would use in a batch. The predicted pre-boil gravity was 1057, but I only got 1052, however the post-boil gravity was 1062 so only two points off the predicted, which doesn't bother me at all. It smelled absolutely delicious during the mash and boil so really looking forward to getting it in the FV after this SNPA clone is bottled. [biggrin]

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 10.00 l

Post Boil Volume: 8.11 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l

Bottling Volume: 20.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.059 SG

Estimated Color: 26.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 1 6.7 %

2.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 2 53.3 %

1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 3 40.0 %

15.00 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 14.3 IBUs

15.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 5.5 IBUs

18.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 1.7 IBUs

1.0 pkg Danstar Belle Saison

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No idea really, but smells great!

Just don't add any priming sugar to it Chad. I had a can of it not long ago and it might as well have been flat.[lol] Nice flavour though.

Yea, the plan is to carbonate it very low then after it's poured I'll pump it with a syringe to give it the creamy head like it was on nitro[cool] ! It's a beauty![joyful]

Me and SWMBO have been sampling a crapton of English ales recently. St Peter's Ruby Red Ale is the favourite so far. It comes in an oval shaped green bottle.

I like the St. Peter's beers too. I haven't had one in a while, though. I don't get to the bottle shop too often these days as the beers coming out of my brewery are keeping me pleasently pickled.[sideways]

Archived