Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

Well Ruddy you're the first customer![biggrin] Check out the Big Island!

Big Island IPA

1.7kg OS Real kit

1.5kg DME (light)

300g Crystal 40L (cracked and steeped for 30mins)

20g Cascade (20mins)

20g Nelson Sauvin (10mins)

21L

US-05

30g Oak Chips (sprinkled dry @ ferment)

dry hop later with Cascade, NS, Amarillo

Give it a go!

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ruddy,

I've never really calculated the IBU's but I think Lusty mentioned once upon a time that it was in the mid 40's so not too bitter for the faint at heart. It's quite smooth actually with the oak chips rounding out the flavour profile. It has an amazing aroma that I've tried to duplicate in other brews without the oak chip that just wasn't the same. I've also tried the oak chips with the TC IPA [sick].

Maybe you should knock back a couple of the Viking Brews of yours and go out a' Viking and make land at the Big Island! Yarrh!

Actually my first hesitation was to do with getting all the hops and then dealing with leftovers, but now I've realised they're cascade and amarillo so we might be back on.

Tell me more about the oak chips. Does one just knock back a few viking ales and head into the nieghbourhood with his chopping axe, or is there a proper way to procure them? And what about sanitation?

[edit] Wait, wait, I see that good old LHBS has them, so that answers that question.

I've never really calculated the IBU's but I think Lusty mentioned once upon a time that it was in the mid 40's so not too bitter for the faint at heart.

Yeah approx. 45 IBU (Garetz calculated on a 5 litre boil), approx. 54 IBU (Tinseth calculated)

I've also tried the oak chips with the TC IPA [sick].

I reckon this was during the time you had those contamination issues that resulted in the subsequent "Bleach bombing"! [sad]

Recently I brewed your recipe almost exactly but with the TC IPA kit, & flavour-wise it is as good a beer as the Real Ale based recipe. You just have to make some adjustments with the later hop additions to achieve the same IBU level. I've just started to crack into that batch in the last week or so. [love]

Don't give up on the IPA kit Chad, it's a cracker! [cool]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Atta boy, Ruddy!

There has been debate in the past about sanitising the oak chips. After multiple brews using the simple method of sprinkling them over the surface of the wort at the same time as you pitch the yeast with no problems it is firm in my mind that this is all that needs to be done.

Thankfully our winemakeing brethern are crazy over oak chips and that they are very easy to get at the LHBS. I may add that the Oak chips blend well with the Nelson Sauvin possibly because of the distinct wine notes of this hop.[wink]

Don't give up on the IPA kit Chad, it's a cracker! [cool]

Thanks, Lusty.

I may sometime try the TCIPA kit again on your word. It's a kit I can't get in my home town so it is almost as rare as the Irish Stout kit! More importantly though, The BIIPA's base kit is the REAL ALE kit. The brew would not be the Big Island (or as good as) if any thing was subed in. I would say that the difference between the two kits would be a matter of an American style IPA vs. and English. With the hop adds in the BIIPA it is definitly an American.

Public Holiday Brew Day brewed this English Bitter

Being my fourth partial I thought I time my progress.

11:15 set up the equipment, soak FV in HW, heat the strike water and then mill the grain.

11:45 add grain tocstrike water and mash tun

11:50 started mash for 60 minutes

While this was happen put on a Derek Trucks Band CD,clean the water cooler for SWMBO and changed the water filter. Started heating the sparge waterand changed the CD to another Derek Trucks CD

12:50 Started to run off the sweet wort

12:57 Sparged at 70'C

13:05 Placed the kettle on the hot plate

13:25 Rolling boil for 60 minutes

Changed the music again to the 3rd Derek Trucks CD, got some lunch, cleaned the HLT, dumped the grains and cleaned the mash tun and santised the FV. Added hops at 8 minutes and flame out.

14:25 Placed the kettle in a bath fullof cold water or passive chill. Changed CD to Gary Clark Jr

14:55 Mixed English Bitter in FV

15:05 Strained sweet wort into FV and topped up with cold water to 21 litres

15:15 Pitched yeast at 20'C into wort with SG of 1.043

15:30 Kettle scrubbed all cleaned up and packed away.

Longish Brew Day, used to only take an hour when I was just a mixer, now that I am a soaker and mixer it takes 4 hours. How long is abrew day for a Brewer?

I see you forgot to pour a beer or 3. It's just not a brew day unless you have a couple of brews.[lol]

Anyway, for me doing full volume BIAB brews, normally I'll start setting up about 10am and cubed by 3.30-4pm.. just depends really, I do tend to piss about a bit and take my time rather than get stuck into it though. During the mash I'll clean up the milling equipment, during the boil I clean the grain bag, this saves a bit of time so by the end all I have to do is clean the hop sock and urn.

Yeah that time breakdown is pretty similar to my partial mash brew days. 3\xbd - 4 hours usually. If I throw a FWH into the mix, add another 30mins to the overall time.

I'm with Kelsey though, you've gotta have a few beers while you're going to all that effort. [wink]

I did learn that starting early in the cycle with your first beer of the day can be fraught with peril. If you have too many, too early, things like...

"Whoops, I left that a little too long!" [pinched], &...

"Whoops, I've just missed that interval hop addition!" [pinched], &...

"Whoops, I forgot to check the wort temp before pitching the yeast!" [pinched] can happen! [annoyed]

Consequently I now don't have my first beer until I begin the hop boil. [lol]

Cheers,

Anthony.

"Whoops, I left that a little too long!" [pinched], &...

"Whoops, I've just missed that interval hop addition!" [pinched], &...

"Whoops, I forgot to check the wort temp before pitching the yeast!" [pinched] can happen! [annoyed]

And even worse, all these mishaps end up creating the best beer you've ever made, and you can't remember what you did to make it! [lol] [lol]

After being reprimanded by Chad I thought I would post a beer I made a few weeks ago. It tastes pretty good out of the FV. It is a smoked IPA:

2.75kg Perle ale malt

2.0kg Weyermann smoked malt

700g Carared

700g medium crystal

35g Target (11.4%) @ 50 minutes

15g Styrian Goldings (3.4%) @ 5 minutes

25g Challenger (8.4%) @ 0 minutes

25g Target @ 0 minutes

20g Challenger - dry hop

20g Target - dry hop

No chill

Burton Union Ale yeast

23 litres

OG - 1.058

FG - 1.015

IBU - 62.7

I know it's a bit boring but I have my third batch of Canadian Blonde sitting in the FV now in its second week - just to clean up before bottling.

Perhaps I should call this my Deja Brew, because I've only made a few changes each time I've brewed this one?

Is it just me, or is three batches of the same thing in a row enough to feel you have it down pat, at the same time as about the time you feel it's time for a change?

So yet again, simply the Coopers Canadian Blonde, the BE 1 as recommended, and a little Hallertau pellets dry hopped (in a nylon sock from Daiso - much easier than filtering out the solids when bottling).

As usual just sitting in a plastic storage tub with water and occasional bottles of ice to keep the temp down.

It's quite a nice drop good for the warmer weather, but I'm already thinking my next batch will have to be a wheat beer, probably just the TC one with some hops added, and whatever yeast Dave at my LHBS reckons will do the trick.

I've become quite fond of a bit of aromatic hops in my brews, as I don't have the space or patience for AG brewing, but find the K&K lacks a bit of aroma; so the dry hopping seems a good compromise.

Perhaps in time I may do some extracts or the like but can't see myself sweating it out in the kitchen without enough room to swing a cat, trying to do an AG brew, only for my wife to come home and find a sticky sweaty gibbering mess in the kitchen, not to mention the fact I'd still have to clean up for dinner.

So Deja Brew it is for now, and hopefully a brew of wheat beer before Christmas.

Not bad I guess, considering this time last year I was contemplating purchasing a home brew kit and resuming home brewing, but remembering the crap I used to make before I was able to get the gist of controlling temperature, aware that brewing sugar is not the same as table sugar, and that you really should use napisan or similar to wash and sanitise.

My first brews this year were barely drinkable, (I'd practically pour them down the sink if I got something like they were now) but over the year I've come to make stuff which although basically is just K&K with some hops, I think is comparable to some of the craft beers you get on tap at my local, and surely that's better than drinking megaswill?!

Hey BB

I wouldn't be too concerned about being a K & K brewer. After trying some of my Helles Lager from the cube after 9 weeks I am convinced that Coopers kits are a dynamite base for home brew. So much so that I am planning on using the APA, IPA kits again. This is after my foray into full extract brewing. I thought the extract beers were good but really my current K & K Oktoberfest is just as good and better that the LCPA Clone (#IV) that I have on the other tap. I think in my pursuit of the holy grail I have over cooked the hop additions and I have not got the bitterness aroma balance right. This isn't an issue when using a Coopers can as a base.

So while I will continue to experiment partials using unhopped extracts and grains I will still be using Coopers cans in many of my partials.

BTW The Cascade Blonde was my third brew and the last that I made with BE1, I thought it was the best of the three. You're probably sick of people banging on about it but changing it up to BE2, LDM, LME, WME and the likes will alleviate your Deja Brew feelings [bandit]

After being reprimanded by Chad I thought I would post a beer I made a few weeks ago. It tastes pretty good out of the FV. It is a smoked IPA:

2.75kg Perle ale malt

2.0kg Weyermann smoked malt

700g Carared

700g medium crystal

35g Target (11.4%) @ 50 minutes

15g Styrian Goldings (3.4%) @ 5 minutes

25g Challenger (8.4%) @ 0 minutes

25g Target @ 0 minutes

20g Challenger - dry hop

20g Target - dry hop

No chill

Burton Union Ale yeast

23 litres

OG - 1.058

FG - 1.015

IBU - 62.7

Hey Hairy,

Thanks for the post. Sorry I had to get rough with you![ninja] [biggrin]

That looks like a hell of an IPA. Those gravity reading are interesting. 5.8%avb reasonably low. It finished nice and sweet with bitterness in the 60's to balance things out. I'm always a fan of smoked malt to make things rich and complex. 2Kg of smoked malt seems like a ton to me[unsure]. I've maxed out at 500g in any recipe I've created. Maybe more is even better!

What's perle Malt?

Here are the specs:

Perle Malt

It says it sits inbetween Golden Promise and Marris Otter.

Not sure about my IBUs though. That is the calculated 'no-chill' IBU in Brewmate but I think it is overstated.

I wonder if it is similer to my new ESB malt? I had a little taste test out of the gravity sample of my 1st trial with this malt the other day and man it was nice! You sure can't mistake that distinct British flavour. I feel silly when I think about some of my failed attempts at British style brews using 2-row[roll] .

HAHAHA! I'm totally gonna do up a recipe for a strong ale and call it that now. "The beer that causes a memory blank for the entire previous night's shenanigans.." [lol]

I'm glad both you & Chad saw the humor in the label design. [joyful]

So what style of beer were you thinking of brewing Kelsey? A Belgian perhaps?

P.S. Nice to see a recipe listing from Hairy too (Good work on coaxing one out of him Chad!) [ninja]

I took the liberty of taking a screenshot of it for nostalgic reasons! [lol]

Hehe! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived