Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

That is pretty interesting actually, especially the crystal malt process. Might leave that particular one for another day though. I think tomorrow I might just pick a temperature somewhere in the middle and do my initial plan of removing portions at different times to get varied results. Another day when I have more time I will have a bit more of an in depth look at it. Cheers for that link mate. [biggrin]

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Gang,

I "toasted" 200g of wheat malt in the oven @ 350F (176C) a while back. They toast rather fast so you'll have to watch them closely. I believe I referenced John Palmer' s How to brew

I used these grains in a PM Porter/stout recipe. The brew turned out great! I don't know if I was getting "toastiness" with all the roastiness going on though. The next I toast some grain I'll use it in a paler ale to see if I can taste it for real.

I was thinking of going somewhere around the 350-400F range. My oven goes up to 250C (482F), so after reading Lusty's link I don't know whether that would be enough heat to do a chocolate malt or not, but for the time being I'm just experimenting. Really keen to try and make some crystal malt though and it sounds simple enough. [love] I'll take some progress pictures of the resultant grains through the roast as well. [cool]

My plan for today is to roast 1200g of base malt, removing 300g of it at 30min intervals, so we'll see how that goes. [biggrin]

So the malt is currently in the oven at about 180C and the house smells bloody delicious! I need to do this more often. [lol]

And I've also had a realization that the last batch I fermented was in fact, the Pale Ale that I had intended to ferment. I just threw the cube in that I thought was it, and it's definitely the Amber. Bah! I could have had it cold crashing another week if I had known this. Oh well. I'm sure it will turn out alright anyway. [lol]

Here is a photo of some samples of the grain that was roasted today. The first one at zero mins is obviously the untouched base malt. I used Barrett Burston ale malt for this. There doesn't appear to be a lot of difference between the 60 and 90 minute samples. I had the oven set to about 180 C. I ramped it up to 250C for the final 170 minute sample as I wanted to get something a bit darker as well. Next time, I think I might turn the oven up more from the beginning, maybe not quite to 250 but hotter than 180. The lighter roasted ones taste kind of toasty and biscuity with a slight roasty flavour in the 90 and 120 min ones. The 170 min one has hints of coffee and more of a roasted biscuit flavour. Can't say I've tasted anything like it before. [love]

1234855_10202043268271843_258180477_n.jpg

Cheers Hairy [happy]

Yeah, I separated them into bags of 30, 60, 90 and 170 min roasts. Although I threw all the little samples in with the 170 min lot. There's about 300g of each one which I plan to use one at a time in a basic recipe which I'll come up with to see their effects on it.

The next plan in the pipeline, which might happen on my next brew day is to make a little batch of crystal malt with the rest of the leftover base malt. [biggrin]

That's it' date=' I'm gonna do it. [lol']

Way to go Kelsey. I'm wanting some plain-ish beers coming up for summer, so would be nice to try some toasted malt on a simple low hopped pale ale I reckon.

By 'plain-ish' I just mean not punch in the face hops or esters.

[lol]

Yeah, that's the sort of base recipe I'm gonna use, just a simple grain bill, and a bittering and maybe flavouring hop addition and that's about it. Probably won't bother dry hopping these because I don't want to mask the effect of the malt too much, otherwise it becomes a bit pointless. [roll]

Well this is the recipe I have come up with which I'll brew a few times to try these malts separately.

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.50 kg Munich II

0.30 kg Toasted Malt (30, 60, 90 and 170 min roasts respectively for each batch)

10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min

20.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min

Either US-05 or BRY-97 yeast.

Beersmith predicts the IBUs around 35 so I'm pretty happy with that, I don't like pale ales too sweet. Though I'm thinking about dialing back the Magnum to have the IBUs around the 30-32 mark to try and get the malt flavour to come through a bit more. This would make it 17g instead of 20g.

I was gonna brew this up on Monday but now I have to work so Saturday week looks like the day now. [cool]

Well, third day in with no temp control, and I have decided to make this one kind of an experiment.

How bad is it really to ferment your ales at 25c?

I pitched quite a whack of yeast into this one (1275) and it smells lovely so far. I do miss my fridge, as I'm still waiting for a SS relay to replace the one that blew up, but I've been wanting to try this out for a while now to see if I can taste much of a difference. I'm guessing not, apart from maybe a few more esters, which is actually what I am wanting in this brew.

If I get any off flavours or fusel alcohol, then lesson learned.

For the first time in a while, I actually turned my brew fridge back on for a brew.

I have been brewing my ales at ambient over most of the Autumn & Winter. I'd pitch my yeast @ approx. 22\xb0C then leave the FV uncovered in my spare room over night. The following morning it would usually be around 19\xb0C give or take half a degree. Once the yeast got going I would wrap the FV & use an ice wrap to combat the increase in temperature of the yeast for say 3-4 days. Once the yeast backed off, I'd keep the FV wrapped (no ice packs) seated on a heat mat connected to an interval timer to maintain temps from around 7.00pm through to about 7.00am overnight.

I might get fluctuations of 1\xb0C or so as opposed to 0.3\xb0C in the temp fridge.

My ale beers have been fine. [joyful]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Well, I'll be damned if I didn't completely forget I have this coming Monday off! [w00t]

That being the case, I might take the time over the weekend to fill a cube. I was going to brew my 'Dubbel Dragon' Belgian next, but we've had a couple of hot days down here already, which made me wish I had something like the following in bottles:

#91 -None the Weizer

Weizen/Weissbier

Recipe Specs

---------------

Batch Size (L): 23.0

Total Grain (kg): 5.000

Total Hops (g): 20.50

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (\xb0P): 11.9

Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (\xb0P): 3.1

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %

Colour (SRM): 4.2 (EBC): 8.3

Bitterness (IBU): 14.0 (Average -No Chill Adjusted)

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70

Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

2.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (50%)

2.500 kg Wheat Malt (50%)

Hop Bill

20.5 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill

0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65\xb0C for 90 Minutes.

Fermented at 20\xb0C with Danstar Munich or WB-06 - whatever is closer at the time

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I like simple recipes, so reckon this'll be the go. I know Styrians are not a noble hop, but whatever. [bandit]

Wouldn't it be easier to just stick it in the fridge?

It would (ever so slightly) if I had bothered to wire up the heating side of the STC-1000. [innocent]

I personally don't find wrapping a blanky around a FV & monitoring the temperature from a digital probe particularly cumbersome or time consuming. [wink]

Anyways, I'm trying to be more "Carbon Neutral". [lol] [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

#91 -None the Weizer

Weizen/Weissbier

Recipe Specs

---------------

Total Hops (g): 20.50

Grain Bill

Hop Bill

20.5 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill

Fermented at 20\xb0C with Danstar Munich or WB-06 - whatever is closer at the time

I like simple recipes, so reckon this'll be the go. I know Styrians are not a noble hop, but whatever. [bandit]

Styrians, WTF?

Looks good though. Let us know how you go with that wheat % in the 3V system (sorry, I know 3V is a dirty term [innocent] ). Will you drain slowly?

I know mate, I'm worried about the lack of husk action with all that wheat too. Just have to see what happens.

As for the hops, well there are 2 reasons:

1. It's off pay week, so if I want any more ingredients I need to beg my finance manager for more spending money.

2. I have SO MUCH Styrian Goldings! I really need to stop ordering 450g baggies from Yob, and get a few smaller bags of different varieties. The fact that he usually throws in 50-60g extra for people who know him from the forums doesn't help either! [lol]

Having said all this, I just found a small bag of 7%AA Perle in the freezer under the 30 other vaccy bags, so will weigh it tonight and see if there's enough there to get me to 10-15IBU.

A WTF from Hairy is not to be ignored. [crying]

A WTF from Hairy is not to be ignored. [crying]

[lol]

You should ignore me. It was just my inner drama queen rising to the surface.

I have never FWH'd before. It gives flavour and aroma too doesn't it? Styrians have a distinct flavour that I love but don't necessarily want in my weizen.

Perhaps a normal 60 minute addition would do the job.

Either way, let us know how it goes.

Okay. After counting coins I had enough for a baggy of Hallertau.

Recipe v2 - The Hairy Revision

#91 -None the Weizer

Weizen/Weissbier

Recipe Specs

---------------

Total Hops (g): 19.00

Grain Bill

Hop Bill

19.0 g Hallertau Tradition Pellet (5.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.8 g/L)

Misc Bill

Fermented at 20\xb0C with Danstar Munich

Archived