Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

I've got lotsa vessels...they may not be suited to brewing but they're big [devil]

I'm not around much at the moment due to a dead computer and not being arsed to post on my iPad or phone but everything I read is 3V this or 3V that [pinched] [pinched] can't we talk about airlocks for a while [ninja]

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a pale ale with a simple grain bill and a single hop. I am hoping for a nice, uncomplicated, refreshing beer but still with some body and kick.

5.3kg Joe White Traditional Ale malt

530g wheat malt

100g pale crystal

Centennial (10.2%) - 15g @ 40 minutes

Centennial - 20g @ 10 minutes

Centennial - 20g @ 0 minutes

Centennial - 20g hop tea before pitching

(No chilled)

BRY-97 yeast

23 litres

OG - 1054

FG - 1014

IBU - 40

ABV - 5.6%

BEST. BEER. EVER. MADE.*

Had my first taste of this one and it is sensational [love] I think I have found my new house beer to occupy one of my taps. Now I just need some taps.

You don't always meet your desired criteria when you make a beer but this one ticked all my boxes. I'm pretty chuffed and giggling like a school girl ( probably because I just drank two glasses in very little time).

* by me

Can we set up a separate 3V thread? I'm getting sleepy it seems to be in every thread these days [innocent] [bandit]

I actually kind of agree with Muddy on this one. I feel like we probably bore the knackers off most people with the AG stuff. And it's a Coopers forum to boot.

Can we set up a separate 3V thread? I'm getting sleepy it seems to be in every thread these days [innocent] [bandit]

I actually kind of agree with Muddy on this one. I feel like we probably bore the knackers off most people with the AG stuff. And it's a Coopers forum to boot.

Just had a look at the first page of the Brewing Blether and Recipe Resource forums and 3V seems to be restricted to this thread [unsure]

I know where you are coming from though and perhaps we should keep this thread on the brew day topic (whatever method you use) and start separate threads for equipment discussions etc.

Even though there are a few AG brewers on here, I don't think any of them (including me) dismiss any one else's brewing methods. I know that's not what you were implying but I threw it out there anyway.

And Coopers products rock! (apart from the Lager kit) [cool]

Agreed. [lol]

And yeah, it is just this thread. It wasn't just Muddy's post which got me feeling dubious about the whole thing, I've been wondering for a while if the BrewDay thread was a little AG heavy. And no, I certainly don't have a problem with kit brewing at all. There are other forums around which slag kits off enough as it is.

Hey Muddy, I've told you a million times to not exaggerate.[lol]

It is a pale ale with a simple grain bill and a single hop. I am hoping for a nice, uncomplicated, refreshing beer but still with some body and kick.

5.3kg Joe White Traditional Ale malt

530g wheat malt

100g pale crystal

Centennial (10.2%) - 15g @ 40 minutes

Centennial - 20g @ 10 minutes

Centennial - 20g @ 0 minutes

Centennial - 20g hop tea before pitching

(No chilled)

BRY-97 yeast

23 litres

OG - 1054

FG - 1014

IBU - 40

ABV - 5.6%

BEST. BEER. EVER. MADE.*

Had my first taste of this one and it is sensational [love] I think I have found my new house beer to occupy one of my taps. Now I just need some taps.

You don't always meet your desired criteria when you make a beer but this one ticked all my boxes. I'm pretty chuffed and giggling like a school girl ( probably because I just drank two glasses in very little time).

* by me

That sounds rooly good Hairy[love]

Just had a look at the first page of the Brewing Blether and Recipe Resource forums and 3V seems to be restricted to this thread [unsure]

I know where you are coming from though and perhaps we should keep this thread on the brew day topic (whatever method you use) and start separate threads for equipment discussions etc.

Even though there are a few AG brewers on here, I don't think any of them (including me) dismiss any one else's brewing methods. I know that's not what you were implying but I threw it out there anyway.

And Coopers products rock! (apart from the Lager kit) [cool]

I'm actually happy to talk about BIAB[innocent] .... But you guys probably don't consider that cool enough to be All Grain [lol]

Agreed. [lol]

And yeah, it is just this thread. It wasn't just Muddy's post which got me feeling dubious about the whole thing, I've been wondering for a while if the BrewDay thread was a little AG heavy. And no, I certainly don't have a problem with kit brewing at all. There are other forums around which slag kits off enough as it is.

Hey Muddy, I've told you a million times to not exaggerate.[lol]

I never exaggerate Phil....ever...much [unsure]

I'm happy to talk AG (not that I'm doing much talking these...brewing HEAPS though). Some of the technical 3V stuff has been making me sleeepy. It takes so much effort to look at this site on a phone that I only want to see things that interest me... Is that asking too much [bandit]

Some of the technical 3V stuff has been making me sleeepy.

Me too! [lol]

It crept up on me all of a sudden and now I have brewery s**t everywhere! Even more than before! [lol]

At least I don't have anything in the brewery that recirculates...

Yet... [devil]

It was all Phil's fault. He started talking about mash tuns and got me excitied. And Chad is always excited, Eh.

I don't have much experience with urns apart from going to Bingo with my Nan and having a nice cup of coffee [biggrin]

Muddy, I'm sorry for posting too much about 3V.[roll] It's just that I'm kinda' new with my set-up and am kinda' excited[roll] [biggrin] . I have also experimented with BIAB and I'm not opposed to trying it again.

We need you to contribute a little more with your insight on all things Brew Day!

I'd also like to state that I am still a kit brewer and am drinking a OS stout as I type. Just the other day I bought the OS Real kit to make another Big Island IPA![cool]

[biggrin] [biggrin]

I've just completed 2 AG brew days - An American Pale Ale an a Vienna Lager....I'd post my recipes but until I get a new computer I can't be bothered typing the recipes on my phone.

It may be a while....I was pissed off last week that my computer died and I'd be up for $2000+ to replace only to find out on Friday we'd that we're up for over $30,000 worth of dental work for SWMBO [pinched] ....It looks like I may have to break up the brewery and sell off some bits to try an raise a bit of collateral [crying]

we're up for over $30,000 worth of dental work for SWMBO [pinched]

30 grand!!! WFT? should get a new head for that price!

My advice Mud, leave as they are...they will all fall out eventually anyways[crying]

Did my second partial mash today, B52 Hop Bomb (its actually Brew 53 was planned for B52 but the weather was ideal for a Lager last week).

Here is the recipe and pics, just so I don't slow up Muddy's phone [cool] .

A higher SG than I was hoping so I need to find some good software for partials, IanH's spreadsheets don't allow for partials.

Brew Day: AG RIPA Cat's Rye

Well, this is my second time brewing this one. The 1st attempt turned out beautiful. Tried to follow the recipe to the letter but alas the cards were against me. I made two notable blunders. The 1st one was forgetting the 600g of rye malt that was to go in the mash[pinched] . I remembered as I started running off[pinched] . Well, I quickly ground the rye and added it to the mash and continued the mash for 120mins instead of 60mins. Who know what that might turn out like?[unsure] The 2nd blunder was adding 1oz. Citra(wholeleaf) instead of 16g FWH[surprised !

Ooops! Brain fart![lol] [roll]

We'll see, eh?![lol]

[lol]

You need to hold off drinking until at least the boil.

Hehe! I must admit I poured my 1st at 8:50am.[bandit] It was a stout so it was like having a second cup of coffee[biggrin] !

4:20PM still going strong![devil] [lol]

P.S. You guys are hard on misprints. Remember this equation, 10hours x Powersaw = Sausage fingers[crying] .

P.S. You guys are hard on misprints

Yeah, but there is a big difference betwwen 1oz and 16oz.

I was wondering how you didn't realise something was wrong when you had a massive pile of hops in front of you.

Well, I managed to have a bit of a brew day yesterday, even if it did take longer to get going than expected. Mumma bear and the cubs decided to surprise me by taking me out for breakfast for my birthday, which consumed the morning quite nicely.

After lunch I got to the shed and put down 2 of my favourite brews. A Tomahawk IPA and a Dark Debbie. I particularly like making the IPA as the aroma of steeping grains and hops boiling really set the senses racing. Well, it makes me want another beer anyway....[innocent] [innocent]

Nice Wal; and Happy Birthday for yesterday [w00t]

Thanks Hairy.

What was your recipe for the Tomahawk IPA?

Mangrove Jack's IPA kit

Liquid light malt 1.5kg

100g Crystal Malt and 200g Carapils - Steeped for 30min.

25g Centennial / 30g Tomahawk - Boil for 10min.

23lt

I used the kit yeast and a Brew Cellar American Ale yeast.

I will dry hop with 25g Centennial and 25g Tomahawk.

I have made this brew before and it turned out awesome, I am using a different yeast this time so will see how it goes.

Archived