Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we are only a few weeks away from the official start of spring, & the weather change that comes with it here in AUS, I thought I might throw down something more suited to it & get me in the mode for brews more suited for drinking when the real heat of summer hits.

For this weekend...

Cascade Orange Pale Ale.

Extract/Partial.

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

LDM 250gms

Vienna Malt grain 500gms

Barret Burston Wheat Malt grain 300gms

Light Crystal grain 100gms

CaraPils 100gms

CaraMalt 50gms

Dextrose 200gms

Hop schedule:

Citra 15gms @ FWH

Centennial 10gms @ 60mins

Orange zest 50gms @ 10mins

Cascade 20gms @ 10mins

Cascade 20gms @ 5mins

Cascade 20gms @ flameout

Cascade 35gms dry hopped

Citra 10gms dry hopped.

Danstar BRY-97 WCA yeast 11gms.

21 litres.

OG = approx. 1.045

FG = approx. 1.011

IBU = approx. 35.4

EBC = approx. 8.8

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.9%

It should make for a very refreshing & tasty beer. [smile]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Looks nice indeed. I haven't made a beer that pale in a while!

Have you brewed with orange peel before? My first true summer beer is going to be a wheat with some coriander and orange peel, and 50/50 wheat/pilsner malt. Never added those ingredients before and there are different opinions on how they should be added.

Hi Phil.

This is my first time at bat with the orange peel. I've been wanting to try it in a beer for sometime, and have just been waiting for the right type of recipe to come along that suits my tastes.

Then I spotted this... Cascade Orange Coriander Pale Ale

I modded it, & removed the coriander in my recipe.

Don't get me wrong, I like coriander....in a curry, a salad, or as part of an Asian style dish, but what's the GEEEE OHHH with putting it in a beer?

Am I missing out on something? [unsure]

Cheers,

Anthony.

The 2 orange and coriander beers I have tried (commercial) the coriander is just too overpowering for me. It has this grassy, astringent bitterness in high levels.

I reckon the orange with those hops will work well.

Thanks for the "heads up" about the coriander Khellendros13. Much appreciated. [joyful]

I'll stick with just the orange zest.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I'm with you Lusty on the coriander. That being said, I don't like it at all, never mind putting it in a beer.

Meanwhile, I managed to break the sight gauge on my urn today, which means a trip to CB on Tuesday to get a replacement (will need it for next Saturday's brew day), and probably some Maris Otter and maybe some other roasted/dark grains as well.. I haven't come up with a recipe yet though, I can't decide what style of beer to brew next. [lol]

Just put down my 4th IPA (9th brew in total) with slight modification to the previous recipe

Coopers IPA,\t 1,7kg

Liquid Amber Malt,\t1,5kg

Light Dry Malt,\t 500g

Coopers BE1,\t 400g (wanted to get rid of it)

WLP001 Yeast,\t 1 Vial

Water,\t Up to 22l

Chinook, 10g@20min

Chinook/Cascade,\t 10g/20g@10min

Chinook/Cascade,\t 10g/20g@FO (30 min)

Used the vial of WLP001 as is, will pitch some US-05 if nothing happens within 3 days or so :) And then at day 3-4 dry hop with Chinook/Cascade,\t 10g/20g

Already got my next two recipes done, the first will be a EB based porter-like beer and second will be a modification of my Stout, but will ask about them later :)

I agree, it looks good. Let us know how it goes with the amber malt.

I have to start using chinook. I like it in the commercial beers that use it but have never brewed with it myself.

I have always liked it when balanced with other things. In the same basket as Galaxy and Simcoe for me, but I think I like it a wee bit better than those other two.

Have you tried the Tower 10 IPA? I reckon that's one of the better commercially available AIPAs for sure, and apparently it's entirely Chinook.

I'm hoping to get enough home grown Chinook off my 2nd year bines this year to make a big harvest ale with it. [cool]

Stoked to be brewing again next weekend, it's been a number of weeks. [crying]

Got an ESB in mind, using some hops I got in the mail from Yob during the week. [happy] I may play with the recipe as I go.

#90 - Good as Golding ESB

23L, 70% Eff, 1.051 OG, 33.4IBU

3.50 kg BB Ale Malt

1.00 kg Munich I

0.35 kg Dark Crystal

0.03 kg Black Malt (just for colour adjustment)

0.25 kg Brown Sugar

90 min mash @ 67C

15g Target (11.4%AA) FWH

25g EKG (6.5%AA) @ Whirlpool

25g Styrian Goldings (4.8%AA) @ Whirlpool

5g BrewBrite @ Whirlpool

Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley Ale (feck knows which generation [innocent]) fermented at 22C

I'm also brewing next weekend, gonna do up another American pale.

Old Hat Pale Ale

4kg Maris Otter

500g Munich II

300g Medium Crystal 80

250g CaraPils

75 min boil

20g Cascade FWH

15g Magnum @ 60 mins

10g Cascade @ 10 mins

10g Chinook @ 10 mins

Probably dry hop with 30g ish Cascade as well.

Harvested US-05 yeast.

Looks [love] Kelsey. I'm leaning towards the more reserved kind of hopping with my pales as well.

A couple of questions:

Have you used Munich II before? How does it compare with Munich I (which is becoming one of my favourite grains.)

What temp will you mash this one at?

Hey Phil!

Yeah, I have used it in all my Helles recipes of late. I haven't used it in a Pale yet though, but I think my last one had Munich I, so this might be an opportunity to compare. Unfortunately I don't have any of those ones left. [pinched]

Also thinking of mashing around 64-65C. I tend to like my pales to have a little mouthfeel but not too much. Hoping to finish around the 1010 mark on SG whenever I get around to fermenting it. [joyful] Perhaps a mash of around 66 might be better?

Hey Gang,

Brew Day again for me. Today's brew is my 'house' PA

Golden PA

4.5Kg Pale Ale Malt

.1Kg Wheat Malt

.1Kg Crystal 120L

20g Cascade (FWH)

25g Perle (60mins)

15g Cascade (5mins)

10g Cascade (0mins)

Tbsp 5.2 pH Stabilizer (in the mash)

7g yeast nut.

1/2 tab Whirlfloc

US-05

21L

Mash @ 65C

OG 1.051

I'm also brewing next weekend, gonna do up another American pale.

Old Hat Pale Ale

4kg Maris Otter

500g Munich II

300g Medium Crystal 80

250g CaraPils

75 min boil

20g Cascade FWH

15g Magnum @ 60 mins

10g Cascade @ 10 mins

10g Chinook @ 10 mins

Probably dry hop with 30g ish Cascade as well.

Harvested US-05 yeast.

Hey, Otto,

This is an interesting recipe here.

I have a few ???

1. Why the blend of MO with the American hops? Is it truly an APA if the malt is a classic style?[biggrin] [devil]

2. Why the 75 minute boil instead of a 60min? Will this darken the brew?

3. Speaking of the brews colour. With all the medium/dark spec. malt it would seem quite dark for a pale ale.

4. Great name for this one! Where you come up with it?[cool]

It sounds like a brew I wouldn't mind trying. Keep us posted!

Hey Chad,

To answer your questions:

1. Probably not [lol] but I thought I'd try something different. I never really brew strictly to style anyway.

2. There's no real reason behind it except that it works with my system for achieving desired batch volumes. Unsure of its effect on the color though.

3. According to Beersmith, it should come out around 17.8 EBC which is smack bang in the middle of the range on their style guide.

4. Cheers! Very simple really, I scrolled through all my songs on Winamp; it is a song by Izzy Stradlin'. I thought it sounded pretty cool[biggrin] I've started doing this for coming up with beer names recently, you can find some good ones.

Will keep you all updated with how it progresses. I have a couple of other cubes I have to get fermented before this one, but it's 3rd in line. [cool]

Hey Otto,

Is your recipe a Chill or No-Chill?

I usually name my notable brews with place names of my local area or an event around the time I put it down[roll] .

Your brew really sounds nice

and I have it in my sights,

I'd like to hear how yours comes 'round

before I get around to putting it down.

Then we'll see, Maybe it'll be,

The best dang Pale ale we ever did see![whistling

[wink]

PS I didn't really mean that to be in verse, but it just turned out that way.[biggrin] It's funny how that comes out of a guy depending on who he's talking to[innocent] .

Nice little rhyme there mate. [lol]

It's a no-chill recipe. I didn't adjust the hopping for that, I never have but I haven't had a brew turn out way more bitter than expected so it works alright for me.

My local area doesn't really have any place names that would sound good on a beer. [biggrin] I did name one of them after a bus route I frequently drive, as suggested by a friend (196 Pale Ale). But the rest of them since have been song titles.

Archived