Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34L mash tun is fine for 3V single batches. If you find you want a bigger tun later on then you can just swap the fittings over.

Yeah, with the amount of temp loss I got with all the headspace in mine I'm even thinking of going smaller. I was even using a thinner mash than most, so if I drop that, I won't even be using half of my 55L esky.

Going to try foil tomorrow to insulate. See how we go!

I'm testing my HLT for leaks today, and will be heating all my water in that tomorrow. [cool]

I'm testing my HLT for leaks today, and will be heating all my water in that tomorrow. [cool]

Way to go, Phil. This will make for a lot less HVM. Now you have to attach a thermometer so you can hit you strike temps right on![rightful] [innocent] [biggrin]

34L mash tun is fine for 3V single batches. If you find you want a bigger tun later on then you can just swap the fittings over.

True, even though the 34L does not have a hole already, easy enough to put a bung in. I will be aiming for 19-20L into the FV anyway. so I'll stick to the 34L then.

Doing the kegging and AG together...I want my first AG beer to be kegged.

Hey K,

What's your first AG brew going to be? What's the style? Do you have a recipe yet?

Not 100% sure yet, but I have really enjoyed Stone and Wood Pacific Ale and Beechworth Pale Ale recently. Pleasant use of Galaxy. I might try a simple pale ale with some wheat, hopped with Galaxy and Neslon Sauvin.

My extract IPA using BrockOhopter's recipe is pretty harsh right now, probably my No Chill method of not adjusting the late hop additions, so I need to redeem myself.

I might start a new thread and see what you guys think of my proposed 3V process.

Another successful brew day yesterday, numbers and targets were good. The new cradle I have for my three ring burner retains heat and I only lost about 1.2C over the hour mash. I didn't need to buy it but I am glad I did, it seems I cant stop buying stuff for the brewery.It also got to the boil and reached temperature alot faster than normal so I guess it will save me money on gas over time.

K, I know what you mean, the beer I bottled yesterday is going to need some time, its pretty harsh I think over did the Galaxy.

Just mashed in a Belgian Pale Ale.

I'm trying the layer of foil to keep the heat in, so here goes.

I like having the dedicated HLT, but may need to get a full bore valve, as the current one is draining pretty slowly. [annoyed] Still got within 0.5c of my strike target.

I have my second Lager in the FV. Pitched at a lower temp than my first, this one 15'C, so I am looking for a much more dignified (i.e. Lager like) fermentation this time. The first Lager was the Oktoberfest (kits and bits) while this one is a partial mash European lager (kits and more bits).

So I have two brews that I should be able to make a fair comparison between.

Took some photos of my kit but can't find my USB card reader, anyway I had three vessels, am MLT (minus the L bit), a 15l pot for my strike and sparge water and a 19l pot for my kettle.

My day ended up going really well. I'm getting closer to having my numbers right, and the volumes are starting to get nearly spot on.

One thing that is s[alien][alien]ting me to tears is the temp loss I'm still experiencing. My mash went down from 66.5 to 63 over 90min. Most of the time that is okay, but if the drop is happening early in the piece, I'm assuming that I'll end up with a more fermentable wort, which is not always what I'm after. Tried foil today, will try a camper mat next week, and if that doesn't work I might be looking at a smaller cooler. [pinched]

I'm enjoying the 3V process though, and I still can't get over how much less kettle trub I have now compared to BIAB. I've gone from 4L in losses to 2L. [happy]

One thing that is s[alien][alien]ting me to tears is the temp loss I'm still experiencing. My mash went down from 66.5 to 63 over 90min. [happy]

Hey Phil,

First thing I do to prevent heat loss is cover the esky with a blanket(no brainer[roll] ). The other not so obvious step I take is I underlet more hot water (tap to tap) from the HLT to the MLT a couple of times throughout the mash. This seems to do the job for me. I start out with a grain:water ratio of 2.5L:Kg. By the end of the mash it's probably more like 3L:Kg.

Thanks for the advice Chad. Do you check the temperature before running more water in?

I just took my hydrometer reading, and I got even less efficiency than my first run. [crying]

I was getting roughly 75% (even got 80 once) with BIAB, but I'm struggling to hit 65 with my new setup. But then again it's only my second run, eh?

I will persevere, coz I [love] how much stuff I have in the brewery now. [lol]

Phil,

I usually check the temperature two or three times (and give it a stir) during the 60mins mash. Each time I do this I run a little more water in if neccesary.

As far a efficiency goes... I run a fly-sparge set-up so it's always at or above 75%. My last brew was the CSA clone. I nailed all the volumes and the efficiency was spot on 75%![smile]

Nice. [happy]

What do you use to filter your grain bed? SS braid/manifold/falsie?

I've heard that a braid can lead to stuck sparges, which is why I haven't tried it. Do you use a sprinkler type setup so you don't disturb the grain bed, or just let it go from a hose? How fine is your crush?

Sorry for all the questions mate. [roll]

Nice. [happy]

What do you use to filter your grain bed? SS braid/manifold/falsie?

I use a SS braid 24" long that I have shaped into a manifold. I coiled up a copper wire and inserted it into the braid so that it would keep its form.

I've heard that a braid can lead to stuck sparges, which is why I haven't tried it. Do you use a sprinkler type setup so you don't disturb the grain bed, or just let it go from a hose? How fine is your crush?

I've never had a stuck mash (yet).

I do use a sprinkler set-up. Before I let the sprinkler go I slowly drain about 4L of wort off to clean the wort and set the grain bed. I then set the sprinkler on and return the first runnings carfully to the MLT. This process takes about 30-45 mins.

My grain mill is a roller mill that I drive with a 18v cordless drill on high. I really can't say how course it is.

Sorry to hijack this thread like I did the last one but here is another commercial break sponsored by Coopers [biggrin]

Just put down the following dark ale:

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale tin

1kg Dark Dried Malt Extract

300g Pale Chocolate Malt grains - steeped overnight in 3 litres of water in the fridge - boiled 15 mins then added to the FV

Kit yeast

23 litres.

......now back to our regular programming...[cool]

I have a Coopers Real Ale fermenting for my bro-in-law at the mo which I've made into an IPA.

Coopers RA Kit

1.5kg DME

300g sugar

150g Carapils

150g Pale Crystal

6L boil with:

(Can't remember)g Pacific Gem (12.8%) @ 45 min

25g Citra (13.9%) @ 5 min

25g Citra Dry hopped

From memory:

51 IBU

US-05 fermented @ 18c (pretty damn low for me!)

[tongue] [tongue] [tongue]

Can we set up a separate 3V thread? I'm getting sleepy it seems to be in every thread these days [innocent] [bandit]

A little vessel envy there Muddy??

You know the rules:

1. The more vessels you have, the better the beer.

2. The more you spend on brewing, the better the beer.

FACT [biggrin]

Archived