Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

[lol]

Hey Del, mate. You remember me making a small adjustment to my grain mill before I began crushing? Well that 1/4 turn sent efficiency through the roof. You have 20-odd litres of 1.060 wort there, making it about the same gravity as mine from yesterday. [lol]

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many brews did you blokes create on the day?

Only one, but we talked a lot of s**t and went to Bunnings, had lunch, and drank. My usual brew day is about 5 hours start to finish.

Hey Del & Phil,

I must say that I think it's great you two got together for a brewday! I'd love to have a mate that is into brewing around here.

Phil, It's too bad SWMBO is pissed at you for having a good time[roll] .

Keep up the good work![rightful]

Hey Chad, if I won a few $$ from somewhere, I reckon flying all you guys over for the weekend would take priority over paying my house off. The internet is great for finding like-minded people, but it sucks when you realise you may never meet some of the friends you've come to really appreciate. [crying]

Hey Chad' date=' if I won a few $$ from somewhere, I reckon flying all you guys over for the weekend would take priority over paying my house off. The internet is great for finding like-minded people, but it sucks when you realise you may never meet some of the friends you've come to really appreciate. [crying']

Those are some kind words, Phil. When you win all that $$ lets hope there's enough for the mortgage as well as a trip for my family and I[biggrin] .

I'm not joking even slightly. This hobby has consumed me. Hanging out with others who are just as passionate about it is awesome. The reason brew day took 2 hours longer than usual yesterday was purely because neither Craig nor I could shut up about making beer. And I would extend my brew day for that any time. [biggrin]

we had a great day :) both Kim and i enjoyed it immensely. Phil your an absolute well of information. was a very enjoyable day of learning and talking.. and learning some more! and those brews.. mate.. id have happily paid $6-7 a pint at any pub for what we drank from your stash! if my brews are half as good as this ill be happy!!

ive been sitting here looking at those grain samples you sent me home with... i cant wait to do the next kit up with a bit of grain added to it!!

and Kim is VERY keen to do a cherry beer.. so.. i reckon we may need to come out again after a bit of research and make one up?? feel like company for another brew day ?? ;) this time its my shout though!

we had that tasting platter and 5 glasses of wine in about 90 minutes after we left you.. by time i got home i was slightly happy hahahahhaa

Sounds like a good brew day Phill and Dell...better than mine!

First AG brew today, with all my new toys.

I stuffed up heaps and also under estimated losses in the MT and Kettle by a fair margin.

Ran out of gas just as sparge water was hitting temp.

Boiled over (had the lid half on, even on a 50L pot that will cause a boil over) and lost 1 or 2 L.

Pulled the hose out of the HLT before shutting off the MT valve.

Had to add 8L to the MT and skip mashing out as I got distracted and missed my strike temp.

Realised as I was sparging that the wheat malt was poorly crushed, and was probably the reason I missed my target OG by 7 points.

Mash PH was 4.8 instead of target of 5.35, maybe the poor grain crush again.

Ended up with 12L into the fermenter...8L missing due to the above reasons.

My Pacific Ale clone is gonna be pretty bitter now I think...good thing the scales I used were shit, I probably added twice the amount of calcium sulphate and calcium chloride I needed to!

Was fun though, made some changes to my equipment profile in Beersmith.

FirstAGbrew-164722_zps01abffa4.jpg

FirstAGbrew-143043_zps28b18ac8.jpg

FirstAGbrew-142903_zpsda8b6a24.jpg

FirstAGbrew-142858_zpsf3c32178.jpg

Haha K,

That sounds like a typical first AG to me. Full of suprises to keep you on your toes.

Getting your volumes down pat is really important. This will take away a lot of frustration.

I use the same Rubbermade esky for my MT. Make sure you insulate it with some blankets as the esky by itself will lose some heat over an hour.

BTW, Don't let Muddy see those pictures. He has 3V envy![bandit]

• 2 weeks later...

Brew Day for me today! It's been a long time since my last Brew Day

Today's brew was favourite Kit&bits IPA

Big Island IPA

1.7kg OS Real kit

1.5kg DME (light)

300g Crystal 40L (cracked and steeped for 30mins)

20g Cascade (20mins)

20g Nelson Sauvin (10mins)

21L

US-05

30g Oak Chips (sprinkled dry @ ferment)

dry hop later with Cascade, NS, Amarillo

I'm just waiting for the wort temperature to come down a little before I pitch.

Great day so far!

Saturday,

my first go at BIAB ag.

target was 46L in f/v

7.0 KG JWM EX/PILSNER

0.6 KG JWM DARK CRYSTAL

0.4 KG JWM WHEAT MALT

1.3 KG SUGAR

56 G POR 60 MIN

2 WHIRFLOC TABS

NO CHILL still in cubes

WL009 yeast on the weekend

going on the cubes I reckon I got close to 46l

started with 56 b4 boil (CPA CLONE) without the coopers starter

cheers

ken

Good stuff Gabba!

So what went wrong? It isn't a first AG brew if there were no dramas [biggrin]

Hairy,

no dramas except the time involved.

spent nearly a month planning and research lol

mash temp bit high 67-65 strike temp 70 learning curve I guess big volume s/temp66=67 next time [biggrin]

I was looking at the pics on AHB last night. Nice job, looks like you're better equipped than most first timers mate.

[cool]

thanks Phil,

a bit of an explanation on the yeast.

I had planned on reculturing coopers but the WL009 I have is near it's best b4 that's why i'm going to use it.

I've still got some mods to do to gear yet like stainless wire slings for my kettle so they wont melt of burn the new reg I bought yesterday arvo on the same burner I bullshit compared to the old one that was truly stuffed.

it doesn't bother me to change or modify any of my gear.

cheers

ken

Nothing wrong with 009 mate. My CSA clone I made recently was brewed with it and the flavours the yeast threw are freakishly similar to the Coopers yeast. I had the urge to make that particular beer a few days before brew day was on, so didn't have time to whip up a fresh batch from a Coopers bottle.

BTW, doesn't matter if your vial is past its use-by mate. Just bung it in a starter (which I do regardless) and let it fire up.

I had a not so much brew day but bottling a batch and then getting another batch into the FV day, yesterday. Bottling was all good, but when I put the new batch into the FV I put the wrong one in (luckily I was planning to also ferment it with US-05), and then because I was in a bit of a rush, some crap fell off the cube and into the FV with the beer when I was pouring it in. [pinched] I know I should have wiped the cube down first but anyway. I had a smell of it tonight and can't detect any bad smells, and will have a taste of it tomorrow when I get home from work. Hopefully it is ok. [crying]

I did achieve one other good thing though - converting SWMBO onto SNPA. [devil] [biggrin]

I had a not so much brew day but bottling a batch and then getting another batch into the FV day' date=' yesterday. Bottling was all good, but when I put the new batch into the FV I put the wrong one in (luckily I was planning to also ferment it with US-05), and then because I was in a bit of a rush, some crap fell off the cube and into the FV with the beer when I was pouring it in. [pinched'] I know I should have wiped the cube down first but anyway. I had a smell of it tonight and can't detect any bad smells, and will have a taste of it tomorrow when I get home from work. Hopefully it is ok. [crying]

I did achieve one other good thing though - converting SWMBO onto SNPA. [devil] [biggrin]

just have to drink it fast then. Just pretend it is some experimental Lambic...

My brew day on Saturday went better than the fortnight before, but had so many issues trying to hit proper mash temp. Ended up doing a few mini decoctions.

Finally got it to 67c.

Got to use my home made stirplate on the yeast starter too, and finally have a fridge for temp control. So much easier.

Hobgoblin clone if anyone likes that particular beer :)

[lol] Yeah, with added laundry dust or whatever the hell it was that fell into it.

I had a taste of a sample tube when I got home from work earlier and so far I can't detect any off flavours in it that shouldn't be there. It's still quite sweet but it has only been fermenting for a day or two. Will have another taste and smell test when I check the gravity in a week's time. I'm guessing it would have probably already shown signs by now if it was infected but you never know I guess.

Hobgoblin clone if anyone likes that particular beer :)

I'm a big fan of the Hobgoblin![devil] Give us the recipe![bandit]

I think my messed up mash schedule screwed with the attenuation, its at 1.010 now after 3-4 days at 17c. I used 1275 Thames Valley yeast in a 1.5l starter. From the FV, it has a similar aroma but I get a slight alcohol heat. Hopefuly another week and a cold crash smooths it out more.

Orfy's Hobgoblin - 23L

4.8kg Maris Otter

0.25kg Crystal

0.25kg Carapils

0.15kg Chocolate

Mash at 69 deg for 90 min

15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles FWH

15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles 30 min

15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles 0 min

Nottingham yeast

I scaled to 20L in beersmith, and mash ended up at 67 instead of 69. Which explains why my FG is 1.010 instead of estimated 1.013. My OG was spot on at 1.052.

FWH added at about 80c, not while sparging, as this is what I read from an interview with the head brewer at Wychwood.

Looking at implementing a cheap HERMS as I don't seem capable of controlling mash temp with water additions, then I will revisit this.

If you are only using the kit yeast then you may want to pitch it at 20 degrees and leave it at that temp for a day. Then bring it down to your lager fermenting temp.

Otherwise get yourself a packet of lager yeast like S-23 and pitch that too.

Archived