Currently waiting for the grains to steep [cool]

Oh yeah, expected outcomes ...

IBU: 36.8

EBC: 26.5

OG: 1.048

FG: 1.012

ABV: 5.1%

No disasters yet, but stand by ...

Well, yesterday's brew session went pretty well so something must've gone wrong. I was tired as buggery after doing a 100km bike ride (from Mitcham to Outer Harbour to Glenelg to Mt Lofty and back to Mitcham for any Adelaidians who might know what all those words mean). The brew didn't smell especially smokey. I had to adjust my volume to 25L and add 500g of light DME because I ended up with way more grains than I'd initially designed. It was sitting at 21.5C when I checked it this morning too so ... actually just looked at the forecast and there's some cooler weather on the way so it might be ok without intervention.

Had a great brew day myself yesterday.

Knocked up a wheat beer using my brand new mill! [love]

I wet conditioned my grain before milling and it was awesome! I was able to set a gap of around 1mm and still kept all my husks intact! Even with 50% wheat my sparge and mash runnings were the clearest ever! Plus, I lost even less than usual to trub.

Enjoyed a few too many while the boil was going though, and was asleep by 6:30pm [pinched]

As I don't work Fridays, this is usually my brew day.

For tomorrow, I just wanted to do an easy K&K in a style I predominantly like. I've wanted to brew the Fruit Salad Ale from the "How To Brew" section for a while, so it gets the nod this week. [joyful]

I've gone to the trouble of re-activating the Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast from 6 stubbies of Pale Ale, & after giving them a shake tonight when I got home from work, they look primed to go bananas! [biggrin]

The only thing I'm adding to the recipe is a 15gm dry hop addition of Amarillo, Cascade & Nelson Sauvin.

I'm looking forward to a shorter brew day than I've had for a while. [smile]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Just did a simple Australia Pale Ale with 1kg Wheat DME and 500g LDME. Got a bag of fresh (dried) hops from a friend (no idea what it is) so thought I'd use them. About 30g@10m and about 35g@5m.

I'm gonna need a bigger boiling pot if I'm doing fresh hops again :)

I really want to like whole hops, and I'm sure they would have to be better and stuff, but god I hate using them!!

They absorb craploads of wort, they block up my taps, and they don't want any part of the whirlpool. [crying]

My Chinook is sprouting, and I plan on using it in a brew this year, but I hope it goes better than last year. [annoyed]

Brew day for me today & threw quite a few new angles at this brew...

Style: American Pale Ale

Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kgs

Light Dry Malt Extract 1kg

Medium Crystal 150gms

CaraMalt 150gms

CaraAmber 100gms

CaraPils 200gms

Dextrose 100gms

Hop Schedule:

6 litre boil (combining 350gms of LDM with liquid from grain steep)

Mt. Hood 35gms @ 60mins

Riwaka 15gms @ 15mins

Vic Secret 10gms @ 5mins

Mt. Hood 15gms @ 5mins

Riwaka 15gms @ 55\xb0C post boil steep (20mins)

Vic Secret 15gms @ 55\xb0C post boil steep (20mins)

Riwaka 15gms dry hopped after 4-5 days

Vic Secret 15gms dry hopped after 4-5 days

US-05 yeast

OG = Approx. 1.045

FG = Approx. 1.011

IBU = Approx. 31.7

EBC = Approx. 13.3

Bottled ABV = Approx. 4.9%

A lot of unknowns with this brew. First use of Vic Secret hop, second use of Riwaka. Not much info out there on Vic Secret, so played it safe with late additions. My post boil steep hop addition was deliberately added at below 60\xb0C to retain Myrcene oils contained within the hops & allow that to steep into the cooling boil wort. I would have liked to have added the addition closer to 60\xb0C but accidentally allowed it to cool a little lower in my haste to cool the boil wort.

Adding the hops at this temperature was interesting. I use pellets & it does take a little longer for the pellets to breakdown at this lower temperature (as you'd expect) than what they do straight after flameout. By the time I was ready to add this boil wort to my LME & LDM in the FV, there was a noticeable oil ring on the surface. [happy]

I also like Mt. Hood for bittering in this style as it has some nice resin characteristics much like some more favoured hops, but without the harsher tones. Unfortunately due to it's lower Alpha level it does require the brewer to use at least twice as much of it at a bittering point to obtain the same level of higher Alpha hops with similar attributes.

How this hop mix will blend & what this brew will turn out like I have NFI. But I've never been one to back away from an opportunity to throw caution to the wind with my brewing. [biggrin]

I'll update on the outcomes a little further down the track.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Just mashed in an Aussie Pale Ale for my Dad.

Realised after adding the strike water that I had forgotten to attach my SS braid to the inside of the mash tun. [pinched] I found out that even heavy duty rubber gloves get pretty farkin' hot when submerged in 70+ water. The burns aren't too bad, and I got to a cold tap pretty quickly, so should be blister free for work tomorrow. [unsure]

I've started using Beersmith, and so far I quite like it, even though the interface is cluttered as all hell.

I'm going to add some boiling water half way through to keep temps up, and hopefully she'll be right!

Lovely weather here in Adelaide today, can't think of anywhere I'd rather be. [love]

I found out that even heavy duty rubber gloves get pretty farkin' hot when submerged in 70+ water. The burns aren't too bad' date=' and I got to a cold tap pretty quickly, so should be blister free for work tomorrow. [unsure']

Ouch! [pinched]

I did something similarly careless a couple of months ago & ended up with boiling hot wort on my arm that left quite a nasty burn for sometime before it completely healed. [pinched]

I hope the hands are ok, & that the brew turns out well.

Cheers,

Anthony.

All is well lads. Thanks for the concern. [happy]

Brew day is going wonderfully. I have managed to find my sweet spot with batch sparging and mashing out thanks to some nice calculations on Beersmith. Volumes are spot on, and managed a much higher temp for my mash out than usual. I'm expecting some nice efficiency actually. [biggrin]

I brewed outside today rather than the garage so there was a lot more breeze. This affected the boil so it wasn't as vigorous as usual and the boil-off was less.

I got slightly more wort at a slightly lower gravity. Since I was looking at a 6% beer it doesn't really bother me.

Saturday,

my first go at BIAB ag.

target was 46L in f/v

7.0 KG JWM EX/PILSNER

0.6 KG JWM DARK CRYSTAL

0.4 KG JWM WHEAT MALT

1.3 KG SUGAR

56 G POR 60 MIN

2 WHIRFLOC TABS

NO CHILL still in cubes

WL009 yeast on the weekend

going on the cubes I reckon I got close to 46l

started with 56 b4 boil (CPA CLONE) without the coopers starter

cheers

ken

I cannot believe I did this but I gotta fess up.

the actual recipe says I needed 0.06kg of dark crystal not the 0.6 kg that I put in the batch twice mind you.

I was pouring a stubby of the commercial cpa to save the yeast and looking at the colour.

while I was drinking it I was looking at the recipe on ahb and what I did in beersmith and then the bloody penny crashed with a thud.

it tastes ok its just a lot heavier than what I was looking for .

I guess that's ten cartons i'll have to drink to remind me[biggrin] [biggrin]

ken

Just did a short 10m boil of 20g Cascade and 30g Nelson S, and then 15g Nelson S more at flameout. Doing another IPA, with 1.5kg LDM, 150g BE1 (because I wanted to get rid of it) and US-05, up to 22liters. Whatever I do with the IPA kit it is still very drinkable :)

There are some posts in this thread, or in the previous brew day thread, about brewing PB2's Porter with 1kg chocolate malt.

I have to admit that the tastings out of the FV had me a little worried and I thought it would take many months in the bottle to come good. But 3-4 weeks in and it is a great beer.

Thanks Paul [cool]

A partial mash Pale Ale, only my third partial. I am now using BrewMate as my brewing software and hit my target mash temp of 68'C by following the BrewMate calculations. After 60 minutes in my Coleman Mash Tun I had a terminal temp of 66'C. So I am hoping this one won't finish as dry as my previous two attempts.

The only concern I have is with the yeast, it has been 7 weeks since I last brewed and I used the 1272 yeast that I rinsed from the trub back then. I tasted the beer from the starter and I was [unsure]. I contemplated using some coopers kit yeast, 182/12, but thought you'll never know if you don't give it a go. The yeast has fired up this morning and it is a healthy looking Krausen so we'll see how it goes.

Archived