Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, It's brew day for me. It's been another great day with a couple of firsts.

Today I put down a Cooper's SA clone with the kindnes of PB2 and Phils help with the recipe.[cool]

The recipe goes like this:

4.3Kg Pale Ale malt

.43Kg Wheat malt

.043 Crystal 120L

.18Kg Brown sugar

20g Northern brewer 10.1% 90mins

21 litres

7g cooper's dry yeast as nutrient

2L starter Cooper's re-culture

Mashed @ 64C for 60mins

90min boil

Everything went without a hitch[joyful] .

I also have a couple of updates on previous brewdays, but I have to run for supper now! I'll be back later![ninja]

So, like I said. I had a couple of firsts (for me).

I finally got around to bottling my lastest ginger beer. This time I primed with 160g of honey![sideways] I was looking for a little more sweetness/aroma then I was getting out of the gravity samples I took. I think it worked well. The couple bottles I cracked today were nice and dry with good carbonation and some great honey/ginger/citris thing going on![joyful]

The other thing I did for the first time was.... Poured my first pint from my new keg set-up[w00t] [w00t] [tongue] ! Everything is totally ghetto at this point and it leaking in a few spots but the couple pints of Stout/porter I poured were beautiful![love]

Nice one Chad.....just look after your kegs and your kegs will look after you.

oo8f.jpg

On the matter of "Brew Days" I have to confess I have fallen into the habit in the last few months of brewing by the seat of my pants and not taking any notes. This totally goes against my usual MO and I hope to break out of the habit. I've made some great beers but from not keeping track I'm not really sure what went into them.[pinched]

I will strive to be less lazy and hopefully post some of my upcoming brews [innocent]

On the matter of "Brew Days" I have to confess I have fallen into the habit in the last few months of brewing by the seat of my pants and not taking any notes. This totally goes against my usual MO and I hope to break out of the habit. I've made some great beers but from not keeping track I'm not really sure what went into them.[pinched]

That's how I brew! Hard and fast, and to hell with the consequences!! [devil]

So, like I said. I had a couple of firsts (for me).

I finally got around to bottling my lastest ginger beer. This time I primed with 160g of honey![sideways] I was looking for a little more sweetness/aroma then I was getting out of the gravity samples I took. I think it worked well. The couple bottles I cracked today were nice and dry with good carbonation and some great honey/ginger/citris thing going on![joyful]

The other thing I did for the first time was.... Poured my first pint from my new keg set-up[w00t] [w00t] [tongue] ! Everything is totally ghetto at this point and it leaking in a few spots but the couple pints of Stout/porter I poured were beautiful![love]

I absolutely cannot wait to start kegging and all graining in the next few weeks. Kind of getting railroaded into a Kegerator due to space/time but that is ok by me.

Going to do a Pb2 recipe I got out of 2012 spring edition of Homebrewer tomorrow.

Irish Red Ale.

APA

500g malt

100g Crystal malt

50g Roasted barley

Ale yeast.

I was thinking of adding some hops maybe 25g Galaxy added with the grains last 10mins.Looking for hop ideas + how much.

Cheers & Beers

Dave [innocent]

If you are after something authentic and close to style then go with EKG or Fuggles.

If you want to be adventurous and push style boundaries then try the Galaxy.

It may work, I have no idea. I am trying to put the flavours of a red ale and galaxy together in my head and it isn't quite working for me personally. But I am not very adventurous [innocent]

If you are after something authentic and close to style then go with EKG or Fuggles.

It may work, I have no idea. I am trying to put the flavours of a red ale and galaxy together in my head and it isn't quite working for me personally. But I am not very adventurous [innocent]

Thanks Hairy,Galaxy is out

Thanks Hairy,Galaxy is out

Split the mash and do 2 boils?

Kind of getting railroaded into a Kegerator due to space/time

A moment of silence for the poor bastard. [lol]

[crying] Sometimes you really have to take a step back and realise the hardship that others have to endure in life. Stay strong brave soldier [tongue]

Well, two things are happening while I'm on leave for the next few days. I dropped in to Beer Belly yesterday and grabbed some fittings for my old 32L kettle to turn it into a HLT so I have all 3 dedicated vessels for my set up. Gonna try them out on Sunday hopefully?

Also, today I'm doing a kit brew for my brother in law. It's been a while, so we'll see if I remember how. [innocent]

I'm using a real ale kit, loads of DME, a combo of whatever crystal I have lying around, and some Pacific Gem and Citra hops.

Will probably aim for 50IBU or so.

Kind of getting railroaded into a Kegerator due to space/time

A moment of silence for the poor bastard. [lol]

[crying] Sometimes you really have to take a step back and realise the hardship that others have to endure in life. Stay strong brave soldier [tongue]

Only affording this with my tax return...struggled enough with a single parent Mum and working full time since I was 17. I was only lamenting at not being able to use a huge 2nd hand freezer, as a lot seem to do.

Didn't mean sound like I was bragging, in fact this year is the first I can finally start saving, and I am 28. Very lucky to have a roof over my head at my gf's family home.

Anyway, got a 210L Westinghouse chest Freezer in my sights for $80 pickup on Saturday. Provided it runs and seals when I check it out, I'll work on that and see what Ross at CB can do for me on parts.

I still reckon just split the mash and make 2 beers :)

The guys were just having a laugh. It was nothing serious.

Good luck with the build if you go down that route.

I only care what you guys think as I feel apart of a small community here...

Hi there K, its a great little community here, and when you get showered with scorn and sarcasm, you know you are in.

Most are good guys, but you need to watch out for the hobbit[wink]

Na all good, I was being a bit precious.

Hopefully I will have something to contribute in a few weeks, unless I pick up a FWK from Grain and Grape tomorrow (going to a free brewing demo) just to have something to keg in 2-3 weeks. The garage like a good temp currently to ferment in.

How are you going with your AG setup?

Doing the kegging and AG together...I want my first AG beer to be kegged and test out this "2 weeks grain to glass" craze.

Got a grain mill in the bulk buy on AHB, so that arrived today along with some quick disconnects, 2 stir bars, 3L flask ($25 from Keg King is damn CHEAP)and a 20mm TCT hole saw. Oh and 4m of silicone tubing.

Going to get the valves, o rings and fittings etc from Craftbrewer most likely, along with the other keg gear I need. Kind of stuck on 3 piece ball valves for the mash tun and kettle, 1 piece $10 jobbie for the HLT will be fine.

Still deciding if I use the esky I have access to at home (34L) or go for a 44L from Bunnings. Just scared the 34L will be too small.

Archived