Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got,eh! no.2

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only problem - and by problem I mean challenge - with a long brew is the amount of beer it takes to get through it and the coordination required to accurate pitch the yeast at the end off it.

Current day, practical circumstantial commonsense always prevails ahead of previously proven science.

Basically, use "current day, practical circumstantial commonsense".

Cheers,

Anthony.

well i bottled the UNREAL ale.. smelled good. tasted fine outta the hydro sample.

my bloody IPA is still fermenting!!! so my lovely other half Kim is taking over the brewing and bottling of this brew.

she has my coopers log in.. so she may be asking a few questions in my absense.. and Philbo.. she has your number for emergency help!

catch you fellas in a couple of weeks!

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of brewing the following this coming weekend.

Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract 1.5kgs

Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Barret Burston Ale Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal Malt grain 250gms

Munich Malt grain 250gms

Barret Burston Wheat Malt grain 250gms

CaraHell 150gms

6 Litre Hop Boil:

Citra 10gms @ FWH

Centennial 10gms @ 60mins

Amarillo 15gms@ 15mins

Centennial 15gms @ 10mins

Amarillo 15gms @ 5mins

Centennial 25gms @ flameout

Falconer's Flight 15gms dry hopped

Amarillo 15gms dry hopped

Cascade 15gms dry hopped

US-05 yeast

Brewed to 23 litres.

OG = approx. 1.047

FG = approx. 1.012

EBC = approx. 14.5

IBU = approx. 37.8

Bottled ABV = approx. 5.0%

I'm primarily interested in thoughts on my Munich Malt amount & Medium Crystal amount. I've not used Munich grain before, so very interested in thoughts on that quantity in particular.

All thoughts welcomed.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Looks nice Lusty but I think you will struggle to notice 250g Munich malt in this brew.

Perhaps you should try a pale ale where you mash 1-1.5kg of it.

English Bitter - simple can + 1kg DME. I have Motueka and Centennial on hand' date=' which one for a dry hop? .[/quote']

I usually dry hop with English hops for the this kit but there is no reason not to use other types. Try dry hopping with both.

What set up do you have? And what hop?

Big pot on a stove. [lol] Citra or Centennial. Having only recently made my first partial - which is very nice - I thought I'd do a few single hopped brews to start to get my head around all the hops available.

That's how I started all grain brewing [cool]

I find Citra a bit unpredictable, sometimes it's good and sometimes it isn't. But single hopped Centennial ales are awesome [love]

[biggrin] It's funny you should mention this, Hairy. I feel the very same about Citra. I've brewed some very nice beer with this hop. I've also had some stinkers as well. It is intensly fruity and can be a bit much. I once tried it as my one and only Mash Hoppped brew. This turned out to be a great APA. I can't say whether that had anything to do with this hop add though.

This brew had a few Centennial additions as well now that I look at my notes[cool].

Centennial was the single hop that I used in my very firt AG brew. It was a SMaSH brew with Centennial/Pale Ale malt. It was a APA mashed on the lighter side (low 60s). It turned out very good for my first go at AG and though I haven't got around to it yet I've been meaning to brew another one similar.

[smile]

Hi Hairy.

Looks nice Lusty but I think you will struggle to notice 250g Munich malt in this brew.

Perhaps you should try a pale ale where you mash 1-1.5kg of it.

More than a passing few of the good APA recipes I look at on the WWW, use a pound (approx. 450gms) of Munich Malt as part of their recipe base.

I'm not looking for it to be a dominant factor in the brew, just something I'll notice in the flavour of the end beer. How about I meet you half way on this one Hairy, & double my Munich amount to 500gms in place of some of the base malt grain? [wink]

Thanks for the advice. [happy]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Lusty.

I think your recipe will make a fine APA. I think the hop bill is great. The one comment I have is about the amount of Wheat malt in the bill. I been meaning to bring this topic up on a thread of it own but here is just as good. I have used wheat malt in several brews, mostly to improve head retention. These amounts are normally around 150gish. I think I have finally grown tired of this malt addition. Nowadays, I find the overly frothy head that wheat malt gives a brew rather anoying and completely unneccesary. I can't imagine 250g much better(to my taste of course).[sideways]

I know you Aussie blokes love the stuff. I'm just moving on from wheat malt for now in my PA's [alien]

I must be one of the Aussies who doesn't love the stuff (Wheat malt) then Chad. I too, got over the frothy head I was getting when using wheat malt. I don't use wheat malt at all anymore in any recipes and I have no problems with head retention. I do use CaraPils though.

I normally use 500g of Munich in well.. pretty well everything, pale ales, lagers, ambers, porter/stouts. [lol]

My standard grain bill for a 24-25L batch is 4kg base malt, 500g Munich, and then whatever specialty grains I use to make up the rest of it. This normally yields an OG of around 1045 in that volume and ABV around the 5% - 5.5% mark, dependent on FG of course. [cool]

Hi Chad & Kelsey.

The wheat malt grain is something I'm still experimenting with. You are spot on about why I am using it too Chad. I brewed a beer earlier this year that had a good portion of it in there & I like what it gave.

It seems to have helped with my head development & glass lacing measurably since I started adding it into my brews. At the moment I'm using approx. 200-250gms of it in conjunction with 100-150gms of CaraPils for this purpose. So far, so good. [joyful]

Since I began adding wheat malt into my brews, I am getting a feeling the longer I allow these beers to age, the more pronounced these areas of the final poured beer seem to be. I don't have any facts to back this up, as I haven't been using it in this way for consistently long enough, over enough brews.

But I do have my suspicions. [ninja]

Cheers,

Anthony.

I [love] Munich malt. I reckon you need a fair whack of it to really get the benefits though. I usually use 20-30% (1-1.5kg) and the deep malt flavour it gives is amazing.

But then, I love wheat as well. I use 5-10% in pretty much everything.

So Phil

I should wack some in my next Oktoberfest.

I [love] Munich malt. I reckon you need a fair whack of it to really get the benefits though. I usually use 20-30% (1-1.5kg) and the deep malt flavour it gives is amazing.

But then, I love wheat as well. I use 5-10% in pretty much everything.

So Phil

I should wack some in my next Oktoberfest.

Yes.

It seems to have helped with my head development & glass lacing measurably since I started adding it into my brews. At the moment I'm using approx. 200-250gms of it in conjunction with 100-150gms of CaraPils for this purpose. So far' date=' so good. [joyful']

I think both Wheat malt and Carapils additions for the purpose of head retention is more important with extract brewing. I have found some of my extract brews lack that body/head. These grain additions have helped. I don't think they are as important in a PM or AG brew.

Since I began adding wheat malt into my brews, I am getting a feeling the longer I allow these beers to age, the more pronounced these areas of the final poured beer seem to be. I don't have any facts to back this up, as I haven't been using it in this way for consistently long enough, over enough brews.

But I do have my suspicions. [ninja]

I think you a totally right with your feelings about the affects of aging beers using Wheat or Carapils. What seems like the desired amount of head at 2 months will be difficult to make a nice pour at 5 months because of the froth.

I mentioned this in another thread but I thought I would add it to the brew day thread.

15 minutes and it was all done and dusted [cool]

1.7kg Coopers Wheat Beer kit

1.5kg Cooper liquid wheat malt

Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen (ferment at 21 degrees)

21 litres.

I took a sample of this for a reading yesterday but it was extremely fizzy. I was pouring it back and forth between two glasses and the aroma just hit me. I think I may have brewed a banana smoothie [biggrin]

It was my first time using 3068 and I may have pushed the temps a bit high; it fermented between 21 and 21.5 degrees.

...and the winner of the newly acknowledged & recognized "Dessert Beer" category for 2013 is,....'HAIRY' with his self-titled 'Banana Smoothie Ale'!!! [Much Applause]! Hehehe [lol]

Sounds like a nice drop to have with a bit of fruit salad & ice-cream Hairy. Yum! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived