Coopers Community

Brew Day What Did You Make - 2024

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Brew day today, Batch #113 AG #70 my take on @stquinto 's Guinness clone.  it will not come in as dark as I wanted as I ran short of roasted barley, needed 900 g and only had 862 in stock.  Did not need any lactic acid to get PH down as the dark grains, salts etc. added - CaCl2, MgS04 and CaSo4 helped to get a PH of 5.2.  For some reason I chose a full long hop sock today (which I never do) and of course it was touching the bottom during the boil and melted a hole, hop matter went everywhere when I lifted it out.

For the first time ever, I had as near as damn it boil-over.  Was just about to go inside to make a cuppa and just caught it out of the corner of my eye so quickly killed the gas and saved the day.  Foam / scum climbed right up about 25 mm over then edge of the Nano, but the surface tension somehow held it there and stopped it spewing onto the shed floor.  The loose hop matter amplified the boiling and foam. 

Pic of the hop sock looks like a tropical weaver birds' nest when I hold it up.  Dunno why I grabbed that long hop sock when there were plenty of half socks and quarter socks ready for the job.  It meant I had to strain the wort into the cubes to collect any hop matter that was suspended in the liquid.  Turns out there was not too much actually so all good there.  Just hope my change of cubing routine has not introduced any bugs.

This beer/stout will be fermented with WLP-004 Irish Ale Yeast.

Recipe predicted IBU=40, EBC=61, ABV=4.5% BU:GU=0.87   I was one point up on pre-boil SG and two points up on post-boil SG so now it will be a 4.6% beer/stout.

BHE predicted 81.3% but this batch came in at 84.77%.   

ME predicted 85% but this batch came in at 91.22%.

Guinness Clone melted hop sock.jpg

Guinness Clone almost a boil over 2.jpg

Guinness Clone almost a boil over 1.jpg

Guinness Clone end of Sparge.jpg

Burnt hop sock flavour and colour might of made up for the roasted barley shortage🤣

Do you enter  burnt hop sock in brewfather to see what ebc would be?

• Haha 7

Yeah, Narh. 

Hop sock did not burn, just some very closely associated fibres therein decided to shrink back from their counterparts so EBC = 0.   👍

But I might need to calculate the IBU of said fibres in solution now that they are actually in the brew equation.  🤢 

Anyone got an idea what melted hop-sock fibres would be on a bitterness or taste scale?  Please enlighten me.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yeah, Narh. 

Hop sock did not burn, just some very closely associated fibres therein decided to shrink back from their counterparts so EBC = 0.   👍

But I might need to calculate the IBU of said fibres in solution now that they are actually in the brew equation.  🤢 

Anyone got an idea what melted hop-sock fibres would be on a bitterness or taste scale?  Please enlighten me.

You might of discovered a new form of kettle Polyclar???

• Haha 5

Brewed a double batch in my Nano today. 69% Coopers Premium Pale, 12% Weyermann Pilsner, 11% Weyermann Carapils, 7% Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner, 2% Gladfield light crystal. I was cleaning up a few small left over bags of malt so that is why it is a little bit of a strange looking grist. EKG of 50g in the boil for 60 mins for bittering, followed by 50g Saaz + 50g Tettnang for a 20 min hopstand at 80°. SG was 2 points higher than predicted. 2 cubes will go in the fridge tonight and the ferment will be 1 cube with W30/70 pressure fermented and 1 cube with Novalager and I will dry hop both fermenters with 25g each of Tettnang. Brewfather predicts an IBU of 21 and an EBC of 9.

It was a little warm in the brewery today. This is the ambient and not the wort temp 🥵

b1.jpg

• Like 8

Todays brew was a Low Carb Lager.  Based in part on a brew done on the Flying Wombat YouTube channel.

My usual 30 L batch.  Concentrated wort plus an 8 litre top up in the fermenter.  I added a packet of Enzyme, that should get the brew very close to 1.000 Final Gravity.  ABV expected 4.3%.  OG expected 1.033, actual 1.034.  IBU, a whopping 35.  However, with a FG of 1.000, the Bitterness to Grain ratio might not be as bigger influence as might be expected.  I used Coopers German Lager yeast harvested from my recent Coopers Australian Lager brew.  Yeast pitched around 3pm today.  Already actively fermenting as I post this just before 11pm tonight.  Pressure fermenting at 15psi and 20°C (already up to pressure too).

• 4.2kg Gladfield German Pilsner
  • 200g Carapils
  • 7g Pride of Ringwood 50 minute boil - 6 IBU
  • 20g Nectaron, 15g Centennial, & 15g Pride of Ringwood 15 minte boil - 29 IBU
  • 6ml Lactic Acid, to reduce Mash pH to 5.2
  • Enzyme plus harvested Coopers German Lager yeast

Measuring pH - 5.23 - Perfect

IMG_4283.thumb.JPG.1cecaa39cc2a7c515d8ebfee756f32d6.JPG

Cleaning my Keg King Fermenter King Juniors and brewing away.

IMG_4284.JPG.22f3742b0bc18545b917216c2e5b68bc.JPG

Brewing table set-up.  Pails of grain below table.  Sparge water on milk crate.

IMG_4285.JPG.4f50e5983e2ac5bb72750411a09239a6.JPG

About to start transferring to the fermenter.

IMG_4286.thumb.JPG.6ce744984256fca345e7f9e539c0ece2.JPG

Transfer underway.

IMG_4287.thumb.JPG.025f68c5ee604e789b9c7b89350bd13a.JPG

Snug in the fermenting fridge.

IMG_4288.thumb.JPG.80749a22033cf24fa273beed2fa610fe.JPG

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
Forgot to add recipe details
  • Like 8

A bit of an exbeeriment. A Rwd Ale made with Strata hops. It features 3 kg of Red X malt to give it a red colour. It is a little bold to try and blend a rather malty grain with fruity flavours from the hops. I kept the IBU moderate at 34. Let’s see what it is like in a few weeks time. 

IMG_9974.thumb.jpeg.3f5b07160cbbd34edf213c6a4a4dc2d9.jpeg

Oh how diabolical 😀

IMG_9976.thumb.jpeg.d75e652e8e6f92fb9052bba55428bc25.jpeg

IMG_9977.thumb.jpeg.42efc505a323274989c06f19f36cbe79.jpeg

The colour is good but probably not red enough. Might replace the kilo of pale ale with more Red X.

• Like 8

Brew day today, Batch # 114 - AG # 71 another Carlton Draught clone of 44 L.

I might have to go to Mildura for a few days and will not have time to clean out 58 L SS Kegmenter # 1 so decided to do another CD clone and dump the two cubes onto the yeast cake of the previous three batches.  This will be the fourth CD 44 L batch that I have gotten out of the initial freebee (but way out of date) DL yeast sachets that  @Tricky Micky gave me a while back. 👍👍

I will keg up CD batch # 111 – AG # 68 tomorrow and then try to cool the two new cubes down to 18 C so they can be fermented under pressure.

Pics – The mash then just coming to the boil and then the bittering hops having a spa.  Pre-boil gravity was up two points on predicted.  Will post later what the final numbers come in at.

Carlton Draught Clone AG #71 Mashing.jpg

Carlton Draught Clone AG #71 Just about to boil.jpg

Carlton Draught Clone AG #71 Bittering Hops In.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Brew day today, Batch # 114 - AG # 71 another Carlton Draught clone of 44 L.

Ok, brew day done and dusted.  Was aiming for an ABV of 4.5% so it might end up being 4.6 %.

Pre-boil predicted gravity was 1.036 and came in at 1.038 so up +2.

Post-boil predicted gravity was 1.043 and came in at 1.045 so up +2.

Mash efficiency predicted was 85% and came in at 96.62%.

Brewhouse efficiency predicted was 81.3% and came in at 84.7%.

Now it's time to drink a few of batch # 111 AG # 68.     🍻

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

On 2/25/2024 at 4:09 PM, Aussiekraut said:

A bit of an exbeeriment. A Rwd Ale made with Strata hops. It features 3 kg of Red X malt to give it a red colour. It is a little bold to try and blend a rather malty grain with fruity flavours from the hops. I kept the IBU moderate at 34. Let’s see what it is like in a few weeks time. 

IMG_9974.thumb.jpeg.3f5b07160cbbd34edf213c6a4a4dc2d9.jpeg

The colour is good but probably not red enough. Might replace the kilo of pale ale with more Red X.

Yes, I have an Irish/Ryerish Red ale coming up very soon.  My research suggests you can use Red X up to 100 % of the grain bill.

BTW, where did you get that little fish cleaning table/sink from that I see there in the background?  I could do with one of those.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yes, I have an Irish/Ryerish Red ale coming up very soon.  My research suggests you can use Red X up to 100 % of the grain bill.

BTW, where did you get that little fish cleaning table/sink from that I see there in the background?  I could do with one of those.

I think I bought it from Catch. It's great. I have a sink when I need to rinse something and a spot to let things like fermenters dry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today's brew day was an Australian Bitter Lager - Dave's Bitter based on The Home Brew Network's recipe.  It will be my usual 30 litre batch; 22 litres of concentrated wort and 8 litres of top-up water in the fermenter. 

Expecting a 4.9% ABV beer with 32 IBU.  Should get pretty close if maybe a little low.  Pre-boil gravity was predicted to be 1.060, but was 1.059.  Post-boil gravity predicted 1.066, actual 1.064 (but I took the sample from the top without mixing up the wort well, so it might still come out fine).

• 6.1kg Coopers Premium Ale Malt
  • 120g Medium Crystal Malt
  • 21g Super Pride 50 minute boil - 23 IBU
  • 21g Pride of Ringwood 10 minute boil - 9 IBU
  • 7ml Lactic Acid, to reduce Mash pH to 5.2

I cubed this wort because

1. I will be away next weekend
  2. I still only have 1 fermenting fridge, and it is occupied by my Low Carb Lager
  3. I want to pour the Australian Bitter Lager onto the yeast cake from the Low Carb Lager, which I obviously cannot do until that brew is kegged

About to add grains, cube in background

IMG_4292.JPG.cb013fab7c30f845e1ed436c965e0620.JPG

Coming to the boil

IMG_4293.JPG.bb53da1af555ca9decdfebfe95d5f67f.JPG

Whirlpool

IMG_4294.thumb.JPG.25adf0bed48e909edaac3b49594558fd.JPG

About to transfer to the cube

IMG_4295.JPG.0eca3ecdd22c11b64ee12545e56561e8.JPG

Nice hop cone forming in brew kettle

IMG_4296.thumb.JPG.3cef20be2a274d4717114a79181c1740.JPG

Cubed up, ready for a week or so.

IMG_4297.JPG.d559074e961100b00bedd15e65deae15.JPG

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Today's brew day was an Australian Bitter Lager - Dave's Bitter based on The Home Brew Network's recipe.  It will be my usual 30 litre batch; 22 litres of concentrated wort and 8 litres of top-up water in the fermenter. 

Expecting a 4.9% ABV beer with 32 IBU.  Should get pretty close if maybe a little low.  Pre-boil gravity was predicted to be 1.060, but was 1.059.  Post-boil gravity predicted 1.066, actual 1.064 (but I took the sample from the top without mixing up the wort well, so it might still come out fine).

• 6.1kg Coopers Premium Ale Malt
  • 120g Medium Crystal Malt
  • 21g Super Pride 50 minute boil - 23 IBU
  • 21g Pride of Ringwood 10 minute boil - 9 IBU
  • 7ml Lactic Acid, to reduce Mash pH to 5.2

I cubed this wort because

1. I will be away next weekend
  2. I still only have 1 fermenting fridge, and it is occupied by my Low Carb Lager
  3. I want to pour the Australian Bitter Lager onto the yeast cake from the Low Carb Lager, which I obviously cannot do until that brew is kegged

About to add grains, cube in background

IMG_4292.JPG.cb013fab7c30f845e1ed436c965e0620.JPG

Coming to the boil

IMG_4293.JPG.bb53da1af555ca9decdfebfe95d5f67f.JPG

Whirlpool

IMG_4294.thumb.JPG.25adf0bed48e909edaac3b49594558fd.JPG

About to transfer to the cube

IMG_4295.JPG.0eca3ecdd22c11b64ee12545e56561e8.JPG

Nice hop cone forming in brew kettle

IMG_4296.thumb.JPG.3cef20be2a274d4717114a79181c1740.JPG

Cubed up, ready for a week or so.

IMG_4297.JPG.d559074e961100b00bedd15e65deae15.JPG

It’s a good beer enjoy I have made it a few times!

• Like 2

A question for the no chillers when you turn off the heat how long do you let it sit before doing a whirlpool (I have to do it manually) and then at what temperature do you let it get down to so you can do a 20 minute hop stand?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 11:22 PM, Back Brewing said:

A question for the no chillers when you turn off the heat how long do you let it sit before doing a whirlpool (I have to do it manually) and then at what temperature do you let it get down to so you can do a 20 minute hop stand?

Letting the wort chill down to 80C takes a long time, so I prefer doing a hop stand at 90C for 10 minutes, rather than the 20 min @80C. I saw a video the other day (i think it was the homebrew network), where the suggestion was that it is pointless to wait to cool to 80C but to  do the hop stand for a shorter time but hotter. An article on Brülosophy goes even further, suggesting that the difference between a 20-minute boil and a long hop stand was marginal in terms of taste and in fact, the version they brewed with a hop stand had a slightly higher IBU than the 20-minute addition. 

I used to do 90C hop stands for 10 minutes but I am beginning to question the practice. I might have to do some experimenting myself. Brew the same beer two or three times, employing a late boil addition, a 90C hop stand and an 80-minute hop stand. Late additions certainly save time compared to an 80C hop stand. 

As for whirlpool, I do that right after FO or if a hop stand is needed, after that. Once the WP is done, I cube. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Brew day Friday made a Guiness clone all went well and pitched it today after kegging another batch of coopers sparkling! So cleaned the fermenter out today after three dirty batchs on the commercial coopers yeast 🤣

IMG_6963.jpeg

IMG_6967.jpeg

IMG_6980.jpeg

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Brew day, well this morning anyway.  Batch #114 AG #72 my take on a Rye Rish Red Ale, a 44 L batch.

Predicted specs:   EBC = 25     IBU = 22     ABV = 45. %     BU:GU = 0.5     Using Northern Brewer for bittering and Fuggles for aroma.  Epson salts and gypsum were added to this batch to make my filtered rainwater match an English Ale profile.  Probably should have used a Dublin water profile but we will see how it turns out.

This one will be hot cubed and maybe tomorrow, if I can keg up the 44 L of Guinness clone, I will dump it on top of the WLP-004 Irish Ale yeast that will be in the 58 L Kegmenter #2.

Pic is mashing in at 45 C, at this early stage it looks like it will turn out a brown ale rather than a red, but we will see what colour the wort turns out like when I pump it into the cubes.

RyeRish Red Ale Mashing In.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

Well, that is another brew day done and dusted, 44 L into the cubes and currently cooling down under the garden sprinkler. 

Sorry I could not take a pic of the colour of the wort going into the cubes.  Damn hop sock bused open when I was lifting the hop stand hops out, not having much luck with hops socks of late.  😠  The bloody string let go at the bottom and dropped all the hop matter into the wort.  My own fault as this sock has been used dozens of times and I really should have tied it up with a new string.  Anyway, I had to let it settle for a bit longer and finally got it into the cubes at just over 72 C.  I had to use a sanitised funnel with a filter mesh so two hands were necessary hence no pic.  The colour looks fantastic, like a copper liquid honey, be interested to see how it turns out after the ferment is done.  Pic is after cubing and shows mess in the kettle but gives a good indication of the colour.  What went into the cubes was very clear, no muck.

Efficiency figures:  Pre-boil SG was one point down on predicted but post boil SG was two points up on predicted and I had just the right post boil volume for two cubes so no waste.  Was aiming for a 4.5 % ABV but now most likely a 4.6 % ABV beer.

Predicted ME was 85 % and came in at 86.71 %.  Predicted BHE was 81.3 % and came in at 85.72 %.

RyeRish Red Ale Wort Colour.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Well, that is another brew day done and dusted, 44 L into the cubes and currently cooling down under the garden sprinkler. 

Sorry I could not take a pic of the colour of the wort going into the cubes.  Damn hop sock bused open when I was lifting the hop stand hops out, not having much luck with hops socks of late.  😠  The bloody string let go at the bottom and dropped all the hop matter into the wort.  My own fault as this sock has been used dozens of times and I really should have tied it up with a new string.  Anyway, I had to let it settle for a bit longer and finally got it into the cubes at just over 72 C.  I had to use a sanitised funnel with a filter mesh so two hands were necessary hence no pic.  The colour looks fantastic, like a copper liquid honey, be interested to see how it turns out after the ferment is done.  Pic is after cubing and shows mess in the kettle but gives a good indication of the colour.  What went into the cubes was very clear, no muck.

Efficiency figures:  Pre-boil SG was one point down on predicted but post boil SG was two points up on predicted and I had just the right post boil volume for two cubes so no waste.  Was aiming for a 4.5 % ABV but now most likely a 4.6 % ABV beer.

Predicted ME was 85 % and came in at 86.71 %.  Predicted BHE was 81.3 % and came in at 85.72 %.

RyeRish Red Ale Wort Colour.jpg

Just one word “Bugger” 🫣

• Haha 3

Recipe: Kveik Pale 
Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 24.83 L
Post Boil Volume: 20.83 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 20.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 11.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 42.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           4          13.3 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Azacca [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           5          14.7 IBUs     -             
15.00 g          Citra LupuLN2 [24.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           6          14.5 IBUs     -             

Mash Schedule: Robobrew Mash and Sparge Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PXL_20240321_232338342.thumb.jpg.ff861508aea023424bdcaa93e588819d.jpg

• Like 8

Today's brew was a Mexican Cerveza based on a recent YouTube video from The Home Brew Network.  This style usually includes some corn grains as a cheap, very light coloured source of sugars.  In this case, it uses Instant Polenta as its source for corn.  My usual 30 litre batch; 22 litres of concentrated wort and 8 litres of top-up water in the fermenter. 

Expecting a 4.6% ABV beer with 13 IBU.  Should get pretty close, but maybe a bit high.  Pre-boil gravity was predicted to be 1.054, and was 1.057.  Post-boil gravity predicted 1.060, actual 1.066.

• 5.0 kg Gladfield German Pilsner Malt 84%
  • 660g Instant Polenta 11%
  • 270g Carapils 5%
  • 29g Mount Hood hops 60 minute boil - 11 IBU
  • 17g Mount Hood hops 10 minute boil - 3 IBU
  • 6ml Lactic Acid to reduce Mash pH to 5.2

I cubed this brew because my brew fridge is occupied.  I also need time to try to revive a White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager yeast overbuild from July last year.  This is not a "traditional" yeast for a Mexican Cerveza, but it was my only option after I found the Pilsen Yeast I harvested a while ago had started to turn into penicillin.

I got about 1 litre of "spare" wort to use for the starter.  I diluted it to an OG of 1.036 with some boiled water.  

Instant Polenta added to the grain, after stirring in about 2kg of the crushed grains into the mash to create a filter bed.  I mixed the Polenta into the dry grain and then added the whole lot into the mash.

IMG_4319.JPG.9e18f5f12f9dfac458eefc9f018a314d.JPG

Transferring to the cube.  It is a very light colour.

IMG_4321.JPG.2cae506b6804b6c911301d3afb5109d0.JPG

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Today's brew was a Mexican Cerveza based on a recent YouTube video from The Home Brew Network.  This style usually includes some corn grains as a cheap, very light coloured source of sugars.  In this case, it uses Instant Polenta as its source for corn.  My usual 30 litre batch; 22 litres of concentrated wort and 8 litres of top-up water in the fermenter. 

Expecting a 4.6% ABV beer with 13 IBU.  Should get pretty close, but maybe a bit high.  Pre-boil gravity was predicted to be 1.054, and was 1.057.  Post-boil gravity predicted 1.060, actual 1.066.

• 5.0 kg Gladfield German Pilsner Malt 84%
  • 660g Instant Polenta 11%
  • 270g Carapils 5%
  • 29g Mount Hood hops 60 minute boil - 11 IBU
  • 17g Mount Hood hops 10 minute boil - 3 IBU
  • 6ml Lactic Acid to reduce Mash pH to 5.2

I cubed this brew because my brew fridge is occupied.  I also need time to try to revive a White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager yeast overbuild from July last year.  This is not a "traditional" yeast for a Mexican Cerveza, but it was my only option after I found the Pilsen Yeast I harvested a while ago had started to turn into penicillin.

I got about 1 litre of "spare" wort to use for the starter.  I diluted it to an OG of 1.036 with some boiled water.  

Instant Polenta added to the grain, after stirring in about 2kg of the crushed grains into the mash to create a filter bed.  I mixed the Polenta into the dry grain and then added the whole lot into the mash.

IMG_4319.JPG.9e18f5f12f9dfac458eefc9f018a314d.JPG

Transferring to the cube.  It is a very light colour.

IMG_4321.JPG.2cae506b6804b6c911301d3afb5109d0.JPG

I added my Polenta to the mash stirring it in its a nice beer

• Like 2