Coopers Community

Brew Day What Did You Make - 2024

12 minutes ago, John304 said:

Yes, thanks to the dedicated day I spent fiddling around with it,

Hey John,

When you get a chance, would you be able to post your settings and set-up and any special steps you take.  It would be a good starting point for others.  It is certainly encouraging to read about your success.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, John304 said:

Another successful brew day today with the BZ, an amber ale, temperature variation of.05

IMG_2024.jpeg

IMG_2023.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg

That is great John, seems that you have worked out the temperature fluctuations with the BZ that a lot of people are struggling with.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey John,

When you get a chance, would you be able to post your settings and set-up and any special steps you take.  It would be a good starting point for others.  It is certainly encouraging to read about your success.

This is what I set up for myself, most of my brews are mashed pretty much the same temp, except for lagers. The P setting is for over shooting or under shooting, David Heath has an excellent video on these settings . These settings may not work for everyone, it’s a matter of keep adjusting to suit your BZ, it’s not as daunting as it sounds, pretty simple really,

cheers

IMG_2026.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, John304 said:

This is what I set up for myself, most of my brews are mashed pretty much the same temp, except for lagers. The P setting is for over shooting or under shooting, David Heath has an excellent video on these settings . These settings may not work for everyone, it’s a matter of keep adjusting to suit your BZ, it’s not as daunting as it sounds, pretty simple really,

cheers

IMG_2026.jpeg

Once boil achieved, heater to 80%

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, John304 said:

cheers

IMG_2026.jpeg

Thanks for that John.  I have saved a copy where I can find it later.

I will check out David Heath's video too.

My Grainfather G30 must have something similar built in.  As it approaches whatever the target temperature is, the heating element percentage automatically drops and the rate of temperature increase slows.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks for that John.  I have saved a copy where I can find it later.

I will check out David Heath's video too.

My Grainfather G30 must have something similar built in.  As it approaches whatever the target temperature is, the heating element percentage automatically drops and the rate of temperature increase slows.

Pretty much the same, once you find the sweet spot you shouldn’t have to adjust it again 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

Coopers Sparkling

My father has been homebrewing with Coopers extracts for 35 years; and Coopers Sparkling Ale is his favourite. I hope your brew turns out very well. What do you think the final ABV will be?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, jennyss said:

My father has been homebrewing with Coopers extracts for 35 years; and Coopers Sparkling Ale is his favourite. I hope your brew turns out very well. What do you think the final ABV will be?

Thanks Jenny, I hope so too! It’s my first attempt at the Sparkling. It depends on the yeast - this Coopers Commercial is at least 4 or 5 generations, and normally ferments out to about 1.006.

If it goes that low it would be 5.78%, if it stops at 1.010 it would be 5.25%.
Either way within two hours of pitching the pressure valve was already on 1 bar 😃

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

dry hop it with cascade

Hi @Back Brewing,  That looks good. COPA extracts are my favourite brews. I am experimenting with hop additions. I like fruity and spicy. I don't like piney or citrussy. I will have to try some Cascade soon.  I am about to bottle a COPA brew with Pride of Ringwood and Galaxy which was added after fermentation had finished. I'm finding it hard to sort out the different hop tastes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Hi @Back Brewing,  That looks good. COPA extracts are my favourite brews. I am experimenting with hop additions. I like fruity and spicy. I don't like piney or citrussy. I will have to try some Cascade soon.  I am about to bottle a COPA brew with Pride of Ringwood and Galaxy which was added after fermentation had finished. I'm finding it hard to sort out the different hop tastes!

Eclipse is a fruit forward hop that works well with Pale Ale, also Lemondrop for a dry hop, it gives it wings.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

Hi Jenny I'm experimenting with stella hops at the moment for a dry hop which is a sister to galaxy my last stone and wood clone I dry hopped with galaxy at 3c and the aroma and flavour of passionfruit were awesome 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

I like fruity and spicy. I don't like piney or citrussy.

I'm not good at picking up the different flavors from a dry hop.

For me, it's just like or dislike, with a bit of wiggle room in between.

I didn't like Lemon Drop, it had too much of a citrus flavor. (Others will Love it)

We are all different and like different things!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today's brew day was a Pickle Sour.  I have made this before.  

This is basically a wheat beer grist, with a good pinch of Chilli Powder, Pickle Spice and Salt.  Plus fermented with Philly Sour yeast.

My usual 22 L of concentrated wort, diluted with 8 L of water for a 30 L batch.  Aiming for a 4.5% beer.  Predicted OG 1.046, with actual OG 1.044.  Only 11 IBU, the sour yeast will help offset the fermentables.

• 3.5kg Coopers Pale Malt
  • 2.2kg Coopers Wheat Malt
  • 300g Acidulated Malt
  • 13g Magnum - 50 minute boil (11 IBU)
  • 2g Chilli Powder - 10 minute boil
  • 35g Pickle Spice - 10 minute boil
  • 35g Salt - 10 minute boil
  • Lallemand Philly Sour yeast - Fermenting at 23°C

Pickle additions

IMG_4506.JPG.b9de3965e3073dc08e3d2cb124db1f55.JPG

Sparge tunes

IMG_4507.thumb.PNG.47f68f9ec5e115d2540e6d60ffde29e9.PNG

Fermenters full

IMG_4508.thumb.JPG.5b606ff1190102b4dc11c46fd9521349.JPG

• Like 12

Recipe: Rye Pale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 20.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 13.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 73.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         1          40.0 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          PALE Schooner(Voyager Craft Malt) (5.0 EBC)      Grain         2          40.0 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
5.00 ml          Citra Hop Extract [50.29 %] (CO2 Extract) - Boil Hop           4          30.9 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Cryo - Simcoe [24.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           5          30.1 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          12.8 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, ben 10 said:

Nice one...... I'll be using Philly SOur next

Thanks.  Philly Sour is so handy for making a sour beer.

I did a Berliner Weiss ages ago, doing a kettle sour using Greek yoghurt.  It was okay, but I did not have a pH meter, and it was not sour enough.  I should try something like that again some time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I did a Berliner Weiss ages ago, doing a kettle sour using Greek yoghurt. 

i have done cube sour with ibs tabs. and a kttle sour with similar, the philly is so easy

• Like 2

Chocolate oatmeal stout when I put the grains in it smelt really nice I was going to do a kit beer but thought the time difference is about 3 hours and a far better brew so went AG then I realised I haven't done a kit beer since I started doing AG

20240814_094425.thumb.jpg.dca37a9f60cb75319fda042e692f6f37.jpg20240814_113328.thumb.jpg.9f2f1e064056467c2d4c5e9927fbde13.jpg

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Chocolate oatmeal stout when I put the grains in it smelt really nice I was going to do a kit beer but thought the time difference is about 3 hours and a far better brew so went AG then I realised I haven't done a kit beer since I started doing AG

20240814_094425.thumb.jpg.dca37a9f60cb75319fda042e692f6f37.jpg20240814_113328.thumb.jpg.9f2f1e064056467c2d4c5e9927fbde13.jpg

OH @Back Brewing, I can taste that creamy, chocolatey goodness now - MMMM MMMMMM 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I brewed a Dunkel Weizen today. 

30 litre batch.  22 litres of concentrated wort and 8 litres of top-up water - Actually got 24 litres and only added 6 litres of water for bang on the target Original Gravity of 1.045.  Not sure how I got the extra 2 litres.  Maybe I measured the mash or sparge water incorrectly?

Felt like a really quick brew day.  Mashed in around 8:30am and into the fermenter by 2pm, including a break for lunch.  I always get my gear set up the night before, including measuring and treating the mash, sparge and top-up water.  I set the Grainfather to start heating the mash water before I wake up.  I typically weigh and crush the grains earlier in the week.

I have done this style before.  This time I have used Brown Malt for the darkness instead of Carafa Malt.  Mostly because I bought a couple of kilograms of the Brown Malt ages ago and have hardly used any.  The Brown Malt smelled lovely in the brew.

Bit of a mixture of hops to use up some leftovers.

• 2.6kg Coopers Ale Malt
  • 2.6kg Coopers Wheat Malt
  • 430g Brown Malt
  • 170g Dark Crystal Malt
  • 170g Melanoidin Malt
  • 24g Cascade 20 minute boil (10 IBU)
  • 8g Fuggle 20 minute boil (2 IBU)
  • 6g Super Pride 20 minute boil (5 IBU)
  • Fermenting with Fermentis WB-06 Wheat Yeast at 21°C

Sparge tunes

IMG_4524.thumb.PNG.f1c9f3adec0e71546a214d5f5cdc51e1.PNG

Transferring to fermenter

IMG_4525.thumb.JPG.f5fb5cabe3b52526c18c21ee2409b095.JPG

Fermenter filled and yeast added.  The foam is from an aeration wand and fish pond aeration pump.

IMG_4526.thumb.JPG.b4c580c3d024e7bb49844da998afe9e5.JPG

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The foam is from an aeration wand and fish pond aeration pump.

IMG_4526.thumb.JPG.b4c580c3d024e7bb49844da998afe9e5.JPG

I have a pump for keeping fish alive in a bucket which sounds similar to you pond pump albeit maybe smaller, do you reckon that with an inline filter and air diffusion stone this would work for wort aeration? How long would you run it when only pumping ambient air through not pure oxygen?

do you find it makes much difference?