Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

16 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey @Triple B Brewing BBB!
Yes the coopers 86 days tin and a partial of Pilsner malt and carapils. Hallertau Mittelfrüh hops late. Made up to 21 litres. Based on the Czech Mate recipe.  Been in the keg for a few weeks now. 
Will do it again. Very nice 👍 

Brilliant - thanks for your share @Tone boy appreciate that 👌👏

If it tastes as good as it looks, then no surprise why you wouldn’t put it on rotation 😉👍🏻😂🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Time for another Taste Test Challenge: Devil's Brew Porter bottled July '23,  1 x aged without temperature control (Uncontrolled) vs 1 x aged at 14.5C (Controlled).

IMG_20240820_202523212.thumb.jpg.310e1eb8b77c7979605843471674f0d7.jpg

Both had nice big heads but the different glass shapes may affect that. Rookie mistake but I wanted to show off my new Merri Mashers 10th Anniversary glass (on the right) and I figured the different glasses would make them easier to differentiate.

U's head dissipated quicker. U had a more toasty aroma while C was more dark chocolate and it smelled fresher.

C has more flavours, dark chocolate/toasty, and it does taste fresher. U tastes alright but not as good as C. They both had a slight chloramine twang (this was only very minor a year ago anyway, so much rich flavour overpowers the off taste).

IMG_20240820_204152179.thumb.jpg.bf677eab7981c9bb9d332a5e8e108a0a.jpg

The froth on C continues to linger long after U's has all but gone.

On top up C froths up, again. U doesn't want to play again.

IMG_20240820_204229886.thumb.jpg.96d5cd880dd27510535f12e02980eab4.jpg

In conclusion, the Devil's Brew Porter survived for more than a year just in a kitchen cupboard in a house with no air on and is still drinkable but when stored at around 14.5C it still smells & tastes very fresh. The $50 I spent on an old bar fridge (+ heat band & inkbird) was a good investment.

• Like 13

A bottled Summer Berry Sour, then a kegged version. Not much discernible difference TBH. Afterwards a Chouffe cherry, (a bit sickly and a bit hefty at 8%),  and finished with a Botanical. Which I seem to have overfilled. Strewth, if I was a pub I’d have gone bust already such is my generosity 🤔

The Botanical is really developing into a beautiful brew , if anyone hasn’t tried brewing it yet, you know what to do 😉

IMG_4240.jpeg

IMG_4241.jpeg

IMG_4245.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Dodgy grammar
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5

Had a bottle of my Juicy Hazy IPA tonight.

• Fruity aroma, but not sure which fruit - Apple, pineapple, tropical, sweetness, even stewed rhubarb
  • Similar fruity flavour
  • Barely a note of alcohol for its 8.4% in the bottle
  • Low bitterness.  Could have been more, but quite nice where it is
  • Not sure why it is fairly dark for a Pale Malt, Wheat Malt, Quick Oats based brew

IMG_4527.JPG.16eca30264a437d63b654e718ebb45b6.JPG

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

Coopers APA kit 'n' bits. This was the first kit brew I have made in years 🙂 

A can of Coopers APA extract, 1.5kg pale LME and fermented with Coopers commercial yeast.

Quite tasty, with lots of banana flavour from the yeast but head retention needs some attention. Maybe next time, I'll steep some CaraPils. Then again, I have an all grain version on the to-do list. 

image.thumb.jpeg.64d7df029424897f6d2dcb86fcc1929f.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Coopers APA kit 'n' bits. This was the first kit brew I have made in years 🙂 

A can of Coopers APA extract, 1.5kg pale LME and fermented with Coopers commercial yeast.

Quite tasty, with lots of banana flavour from the yeast but head retention needs some attention. Maybe next time, I'll steep some CaraPils. Then again, I have an all grain version on the to-do list. 

image.thumb.jpeg.64d7df029424897f6d2dcb86fcc1929f.jpeg

looks like a pretty honest beer AK, it's good to whack one of those together now & again. Nice colour.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Had a bottle of my Juicy Hazy IPA tonight.

• Fruity aroma, but not sure which fruit - Apple, pineapple, tropical, sweetness, even stewed rhubarb
  • Similar fruity flavour
  • Barely a note of alcohol for its 8.4% in the bottle
  • Low bitterness.  Could have been more, but quite nice where it is
  • Not sure why it is fairly dark for a Pale Malt, Wheat Malt, Quick Oats based brew

IMG_4527.JPG.16eca30264a437d63b654e718ebb45b6.JPG

I know hazy ipas are often basically the same as NEIPAs (but not always) so with the styles being sensitive to oxygen, could it be a bit oxidized perhaps, hence the brown? That happened to mine (I suspect from my attempt to double dry hop, let the oxygen in)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

I know hazy ipas are often basically the same as NEIPAs (but not always) so with the styles being sensitive to oxygen, could it be a bit oxidized perhaps, hence the brown? That happened to mine (I suspect from my attempt to double dry hop, let the oxygen in)

I think you are probably right.  Luckily no wet cardboard flavour at this early stage.  I am going to have to investigate my dry hopping options.  Maybe get some of those magnets to hold a hop sock at the top of the fermenter, and drop it in when ready.  Then there is the option, as per the Coopers Botanic Ale recipe, to dry hop at day 0.  Maybe a Nectaron Hazy IPA/NEIPA.

• Like 5

This was the experiment involving an Aussie Lager AG cube, 500g of dark DME and a hop tea of Taiheke. There isn’t much of the hop flavour but a fair bit of added bitterness. The dark malt also does nothing I wanted it to. I was hoping for a little of this dark malt flavour that then gives away to a nice sweet richness. Well, it gives it those dark flavours right away and then fall off a cliff with nothing following.

all in all, not a particularly nice beer. It was a waste of a good AG batch. Well, that’s what we experiment for, to figure out what is and what isn’t a good idea 😀

IMG_0445.thumb.jpeg.c7e934c23e2c05ef60db99dafef4db56.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

This was the experiment involving an Aussie Lager AG cube, 500g of dark DME and a hop tea of Taiheke. There isn’t much of the hop flavour but a fair bit of added bitterness. The dark malt also does nothing I wanted it to. I was hoping for a little of this dark malt flavour that then gives away to a nice sweet richness. Well, it gives it those dark flavours right away and then fall off a cliff with nothing following.

all in all, not a particularly nice beer. It was a waste of a good AG batch. Well, that’s what we experiment for, to figure out what is and what isn’t a good idea 😀

IMG_0445.thumb.jpeg.c7e934c23e2c05ef60db99dafef4db56.jpeg

Although disappointing for you, I like your write up on this brew.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

English IPA.  Been in the keg and on tap for nearly 2 months.

• Floral, herbal and caramel aromas
  • Sweet malt, raisony flavour offset by good bitterness.
  • Gentle alcohol warming.
  • Reminds me of Shepherd Neame IPA.
  • Very nice.

IMG_4529.JPG.0c7240459b495e0acb0bbed64fc758fb.JPG

Ahhh.. i love me an English IPA. One of my favourite styles

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think you are probably right.  Luckily no wet cardboard flavour at this early stage.  I am going to have to investigate my dry hopping options.  Maybe get some of those magnets to hold a hop sock at the top of the fermenter, and drop it in when ready.  Then there is the option, as per the Coopers Botanic Ale recipe, to dry hop at day 0.  Maybe a Nectaron Hazy IPA/NEIPA.

I just bought these stainless steel coated magnets for the purpose of holding up hop socks for dry hopping. I don’t know if they’ll work but hopefully so. Bought Tuesday delivered Thursday. They have a range of sizes and strengths, just note that vertical pull strength is different to the horizontal holding strength.

https://magnet.com.au/products/stainless-steel-push-pin-neodymium-magnets-4-pack-d16

Edited by NBillett09
  • Like 3

German Pilsner 2days in the keg. Has Saaz for bitterness and flavour. Such a light easy drinking beer at 4.8ish percent could be dangerous. Used my southern german lager yeast with a starter which is now over two years old and made well over 30 batches with @Otto Von Blotto method and dirty batching! Expect it to be crystal clear in a few days after being clarified with gelatine! Now have an Aussie Lager on the yeast cake👍

IMG_7494.jpeg

• Like 12

12 hours ago, RDT2 said:

German Pilsner 2days in the keg. Has Saaz for bitterness and flavour. Such a light easy drinking beer at 4.8ish percent could be dangerous. Used my southern german lager yeast with a starter which is now over two years old and made well over 30 batches with @Otto Von Blotto method and dirty batching! Expect it to be crystal clear in a few days after being clarified with gelatine! Now have an Aussie Lager on the yeast cake👍

IMG_7494.jpeg

That is one tasty looking Pilsner. My keg is nearing its EOL, so I think I need to squeeze in another Pils soon. I still have a cube on standby 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2024 at 3:36 PM, Pezzza said:

Switzer S-189 Larger... much like a good honest Helles from Bayern 

image.thumb.png.f93c5295c891adbbd02ee8f37a7df0ec.png

OMG Pezza, the fence post is well and truly back my friend. Awesome shot - great looking beer!

• Haha 2