Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

I should keep better records. This is a 650 ml bottle and I can’t remember how much priming sugar I used. Regardless it’s a great beer. ROTM Dark Mode Schwartzbeer. It didn’t even made it into the beer dungeon underneath the stairs (or the Harry Potter room as I sometimes call it), the coldest room in the house. Probably doesn’t matter too much,as Sydney is freezing in the moment. It’s dark, sweet and slightly bitter with beautiful coffee aroma and flavour. Bought some Coopers Dark Ale at Aldi, but I think I prefer this one.

IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1359.jpeg

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

I should keep better records. This is a 650 ml bottle and I can’t remember how much priming sugar I used. Regardless it’s a great beer. ROTM Dark Mode Schwartzbeer. It didn’t even made it into the beer dungeon underneath the stairs (or the Harry Potter room as I sometimes call it), the coldest room in the house. Probably doesn’t matter too much,as Sydney is freezing in the moment. It’s dark, sweet and slightly bitter with beautiful coffee aroma and flavour. Bought some Coopers Dark Ale at Aldi, but I think I prefer this one.

IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1359.jpeg

Looks good mate 👌 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

Not a big fan of nitro at all. It’s a nice creamy texture, but for me the beer is flat.

Ha ha @Brauhaus Fritz @Brauhaus Fritz II I do understand what you are saying, though I do like the whole phenomenon and I guess maybe the 10 million Glasses of Guinness per day consumed may suggest that some may differ with your take on the matter...  my more recent research would suggest it is actually attempting to emulate a cask hand pumped beer - and so the actual bubble factor in the liquid column is secondary to the creamy texture on the top.

It does seem quite a few folk around the world do enjoy such a thing - and yes it is very different to bubbly beer.

And I guess it is nice to have variety. Cheers mate and good brewing!

image.thumb.png.9f2e5810b15719f6c30511ca189defb9.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Ha ha @Brauhaus Fritz @Brauhaus Fritz II I do understand what you are saying, though I do like the whole phenomenon and I guess maybe the 10 million Glasses of Guinness per day consumed may suggest that some may differ with your take on the matter...  my more recent research would suggest it is actually attempting to emulate a cask hand pumped beer - and so the actual bubble factor in the liquid column is secondary to the creamy texture on the top.

It does seem quite a few folk around the world do enjoy such a thing - and yes it is very different to bubbly beer.

Only because the majority likes it doesn't mean its good, ha ha. In my youth I enjoyed 2 pints of Guinness from the tap at my favorite live music venue, but these days give me a Guinness Smooth any day, might have to go to Bali again🤣. Or I might do a Guinness clone and bottle prime it with good old sugar

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Be interested to read what other Brewers think re difference between the darker brews and pale ones and creamy tops, head, head retention etc 👍

Probably the higher protein content in grains of darker beers.  Any hazy that may remain in the beer would help too.

I notice similar when the darker beers come to the boil in the kettle.  There is generally much more hot break/foam to stir in.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Yes, the whole nitro thing is really just about simulating the good old hand drawn beer. One of the things about hand drawn beers is that they are quite flat. After all, inhabitants of the British Isles aren't known for their cold fizzy and heady beers 🙂 

I like the odd Guinness and the first thing I do when I get to Ireland is have a freshly tapped Guinness but it usually is the only one I have. I am not the biggest fan of Stouts, so I am a little biased but I also think Guinness is a little hyped. TBH, when in Ireland, I prefer a Beamish Stout over a Guinness any day. Sure, it is everywhere, everybody knows it and heaps of people drink it but so is Heineken. So popularity means tiddlysquad 🙂 

I had to pick to never have a Stout again or a Pils, I would give the Stout the flick without hesitation...after I had one more that is 🙂  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, the whole nitro thing is really just about simulating the good old hand drawn beer. One of the things about hand drawn beers is that they are quite flat. After all, inhabitants of the British Isles aren't known for their cold fizzy and heady beers 🙂 

I like the odd Guinness and the first thing I do when I get to Ireland is have a freshly tapped Guinness but it usually is the only one I have. I am not the biggest fan of Stouts, so I am a little biased but I also think Guinness is a little hyped. TBH, when in Ireland, I prefer a Beamish Stout over a Guinness any day. Sure, it is everywhere, everybody knows it and heaps of people drink it but so is Heineken. So popularity means tiddlysquad 🙂 

I had to pick to never have a Stout again or a Pils, I would give the Stout the flick without hesitation...after I had one more that is 🙂  

@AussiekrautI have a story about Beamish Stout, when I worked in my dads mates pub in the UK in 1991, they had that on tap, and when you poured it it came out similar to Guinness having to leave it settle, but you could stand a spoon up in it. 🥄🥄🍺🍺

‘It wasn’t my cup of tea and am still not a big fan of Stouts, I was drinking Tetley's or John Smiths. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Not a very good pic with the flash. Kegland FWK pilsner about 7 weeks in the keg nice drop.

The one i made after this has a 30 gram cascade hop tea.

20240626_171853.jpg

Haha seven weeks mine is gone in that time

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Haha seven weeks mine is gone in that time

They don't all make that long. Only having one brew fridge and 2 weeks each in fermenter the lagers often do though.

I got rid of my second energy chomping brew fridge so hoppy ales drank young and lagers get to age a bit. 

I also try to only have 3 kegs in 4 keg keggerator now as not working as hard to have 3 cold. Or as hard to move them around when rotating.

I probably need a new font hose etc and re do my second liquid line before I think about doing 4 again.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

@AussiekrautI have a story about Beamish Stout, when I worked in my dads mates pub in the UK in 1991, they had that on tap, and when you poured it it came out similar to Guinness having to leave it settle, but you could stand a spoon up in it. 🥄🥄🍺🍺

‘It wasn’t my cup of tea and am still not a big fan of Stouts, I was drinking Tetley's or John Smiths. 

The first time I had a Beamish was in Ballymore, a small village outside Cobh. Of course, they sold it there as it is made in Cork, just down the road. It was really cool, you go to the pub for a quiet night out and the friendly Irish start talking to you and you have great company all evening. They were the ones convincing me to try the Beamish Stout as it was their "local" beer.  Now I realise that there is no quiet night out in a pub in Ireland 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 6/22/2024 at 7:12 AM, Cheap Charlie said:

I also have going a can of Coopers Pale Ale and a can of wheat malt I pitched on the cake from that brew. The results are completely different - it has taken 2 weeks for the wort to get to 1.023. I'm not sure whether to leave it go at 12º or raise the temperature.

@Cheap Charlie , Sorry I'm a bit late to the party here.

Nottingham yeast as you probably already know has a temp range from 10 C to 22 C. (non-pressure ferment)  I think your 12 C at this late stage in the ferment is way too low.  Where you after a particular style or lager-ish flavour?  A brew high in wheat malts might need a different temp profile too.

When I use this yeast I start it off at say 17 C and finish it off at 22 C.  Yours should have been at 22 C by the time its a few points off FG then left for a few days at that temp before any cold crash (if you do CC your brews) IMO.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Nottingham yeast as you probably already know has a temp range from 10 C to 22 C. (non-pressure ferment)  I think your 12 C at this late stage in the ferment is way too low.  Where you after a particular style or lager-ish flavour?  A brew high in wheat malts might need a different temp profile too.

When I use this yeast I start it off at say 17 C and finish it off at 22 C.  Yours should have been at 22 C by the time its a few points off FG then left for a few days at that temp before any cold crash (if you do CC your brews) IMO.

This is what I am finding. I have raised the temp to about 15c, 18 days into the ferment. The yeast is still working, so will let it go until it finishes. Hopefully it will reach the 1.010 mark. 

Yes, cold crashing is part of my regular regimen and I usually let it sit for a week like that. I plan to dry hop this one with galaxy to make a Pacific Ale style, even though I am doing a lager style fermentation. BTW the kits were slightly out of date, not sure if this has any bearing on the result or not.

I totally agree with you, I will probably raise the temperature again, temperatures in Brissy are around 18c so will let it go to that temperature to see how the brew cleans up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Lallemand quote the temperature range of Nottingham as 10° - 25°C, so I would agree and say that at 12° you could probably ramp up the temp somewhat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Lallemand quote the temperature range of Nottingham as 10° - 25°C, so I would agree and say that at 12° you could probably ramp up the temp somewhat.

Yes you are correct @kmar92 tops out at 25 C now that I just downloaded latest specs.  My years old yeast profile spreadsheet said 22 C so went with what I knew.

@Cheap Charlie at 18 days in, geez!  My ales are CC'ed and almost ready for the keg by then.  It's going to be a nice clean tasting beer going on those temps and time scales.  Ramp it up to 22 C now and get the job done I say, and then get on with the next batch.  That's if you can of course, using temp controller FV fridge and heat pad/belt.

Edited by iBooz2

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

A pale ale with some wheat and carapils, hopped with Citra. 
Nice beer this one. 

Hey @Tone boy, gee I am surprised at the big bubbled, soap suds looking head on your beer given that you have used both Carapils and wheat malts (read your recipe and it looked excellent).  Or was it just the pour before the pic or young in the bottle, please tell me this is so.  I bet it tasted nice anyway.

BTW when you moved house did you take that historic landmark fuel sign with you?

Edited by iBooz2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey @Tone boy, gee I am surprised at the big bubbled, soap suds looking head on your beer given that you have used both Carapils and wheat malts (read your recipe and it looked excellent).  Or was it just the pour before the pic or young in the bottle, please tell me this is so.  I bet it tasted nice anyway.

BTW when you moved house did you take that historic landmark fuel sign with you?

Hey Boozer!

yes I am surprised by the lack of fine bubbles in the head of this beer. It’s been in the bottle about 4-5 weeks now, so not too young - it’s a bit of a mystery. The head disappears quickly, except for the last bit which hangs around until the end of the glass. It was a US 05 yeast which I don’t normally use, not sure if that’s a factor…

And yes, tastes lovely so that’s the main thing.

And I have recently renovated this house, which is why the background in the photos is new, but I still have the Ampol sign in the backyard, and light it up every now and again 😉👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A COPA six weeks in the keg then a Botanical two weeks in the keg. COPA is my go to beer, always a beautiful drop, and I’m mighty impressed with the Botanical 👍

Another two weeks and it will be perfect 

IMG_3537.jpeg

IMG_3549.jpeg

• Like 11

It's probably not long before this keg blows as the flow is slowing down & it got a hammering a few days ago with a few mates, I am doing 2 brews this weekend, an AG Pale Ale & a kit Coopers Draught with a grain addition. 

I need to get some stock back in the fridge pronto.

20240628_142705.thumb.jpg.8a12b23f5fd88e63e105d7fdabb20a6d.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 6

Cracked another bottle of my lambic tonight. 16 months old. 12 months in the fermenter and 4 months in the bottle. Its really interesting seeing these develop. Its slowly smoothing out but i can taste more brett influence too. Really nice beer. Have 7 large bottles left so will drink one every month or so which should take me to when the next one is ready.

20240628_205414.jpg

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Cracked another bottle of my lambic tonight. 16 months old. 12 months in the fermenter and 4 months in the bottle. Its really interesting seeing these develop. Its slowly smoothing out but i can taste more brett influence too. Really nice beer. Have 7 large bottles left so will drink one every month or so which should take me to when the next one is ready.

20240628_205414.jpg

Looks nice mate well done!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Wow @Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny amazing stuff! 👍👍👍

• Like 3

On 6/27/2024 at 8:09 PM, kmar92 said:

I usually run Notty and US05 at 18 -- such a nice sweet-spot temp.

The US05 Pezzza Continuous Brewing Methodology (PCBM 😉) backfill Coopers Plazzi FV atm is actually running just below 14 in the brew fridge (ambient 10 or so degrees) and seems to be going quite nicely which is good - though a little less feisty and festive than at 18... but smells great 😆

• Like 5