Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

25 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

In my neighbourhood there are four op shop‘s, Saint Vincent, Salvation Army, Anglie Care and one another one. Once a month eyebrows rhythm, and once in awhile, I find my fantastic glasses.

Yeah, I am lucky too I have a real big Lion's Club Bazaar very close also a Salvo's & St Vincent as well as a few S/H shops, but they are never really cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

In my neighbourhood there are four op shop‘s, Saint Vincent, Salvation Army, Anglie Care and one another one. Once a month eyebrows rhythm, and once in awhile, I find my fantastic glasses.

Yeah, I'm at the tail end of a long line of op shops and I've picked up a few nice one's here and there. I've even managed to put together a nice collection of 170-200ml glasses that I can take out for mass taste tests.

But those Franziskaner glasses look pretty rare.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Yeah, I'm at the tail end of a long line of op shops and I've picked up a few nice one's here and there. I've even managed to put together a nice collection of 170-200ml glasses that I can take out for mass taste tests.

But those Franziskaner glasses look pretty rare.

I should re-post my beer glass collection for those who have never seen it, although I started a thread called "Beer Glasses" sometime ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

American Hefeweizen 🇺🇸 AG really nice beer the only downside is it’s nearing the end of the keg and I didn’t harvest the yeast! The problem is my homebrew store no longer stock whitelabs as they changed their packaging size and upped the yeast count, upped the price to over 20bucks a pack which I believe to the average home brewer is unaffordable and disappointing as I was getting into their yeast! 

IMG_1720.jpeg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Battleship Bitter, Coopers recipe, then Pezzza’s Pilly Larger. Both awesome

IMG_0627.jpeg

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

Awesome glass, too.

I'm looking forward to trying the Battleship Bitter recipe. Adnan's Broadside is still available here (unlike Pride of London ☹️) and I quite enjoy comparing what I brew with the beer it's based on.

• Like 3

I took my neighbour for a ride this morning & we have just got home; he will get in the 💩 but I won't. 🤣

A visit to the Brew Factory for a keg-refill, a Superdelic IPA, I am not going to make a habit of this, but I just wanted a keg of beer today for the weekend.

We had a couple of beers while we waited & grabbed a 6-pack to go, I am happy with my selection (below)

Then we called in to the grain store for a heap of grain.

The car pulled to the left on the way home & we ended up in another pub & I said to Paul, you may as well be hung for a sheep as a for a lamb, so we went down Jetty Road to the beach & had a gourmet pizza.

A nice day out on a beautiful day down the bay.

brew factory.jpg

brew factory.jpg 2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Speaking of stout, this evening presents as the perfect opportunity to taste test my first two attempts at the style.

This/these are my own recipe/s* (*just stripped back versions of several craft/small batch recipes from the Recipe section/spreadsheet really but you have to start somewhere) and the first steps in a long term project to brew a clone of Working Title Brewing 's Take 5 Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Cup Double Milk Stout which I sampled at the GABS festival and is the most fabulously aromatic and intensely flavoured beer (in a good way, that is, Paul's Pickle Beer shades it for intensity of flavour but was less pleasant) it has ever been my fortune to come across. They constitute a test of the base ingredients but more particularly steeping methods. 010, Hot Robust Stout was made with a 30 minute hot steep of the specialty grains, 012 Cool Robust Stout was made with a 24 hour cold steep of the specialty grains. Every other aspect of their brewing is as close as I could manage. Oh, 012 is the first of its batch bottled and 010 isn't but I've never found the 1st bottle to be any different to the rest. After taking several samples to measure gravity before bottling time what's left sitting in the pipe to the tap seems to be representative of what's in the rest of the FV.

On the left and poured first, 010, Hot Robust Stout, bottled 14/9/23, conditioned until 15/10, and on the right, 012, Cool Robust Stout, bottled 5/10/23, conditioned until 1/11.

IMG_20231117_190639486.thumb.jpg.1d8898ee8d006e3c787178274249dd62.jpg

Well, they both look like stout and they both smell like stout. 010 smells rich with a hint of chocolate, a hint of liquorice, and roasty. 012 smells rich, but is more liquoricy and less chocolatey and roasty. The liquorice comes from the Mr Beer Amber Ale cans.

010 had a disappointing, small head with minimal retention and no lacing to speak of. 012 had a nice head with reasonable retention but minimal lacing. 010 needs more head. 012 needs more lacing.

010 may be a little thin. It needs more carbonation. There is a distinct liquorice flavour, and roast, and some chocolate. 012 is also maybe a little thin. TBH they are both ok but for the scope of this project I think a bit more body is needed. It is more liquoricy and less chocolatey than 010 and has more of a lingering roastiness.

Overall they are both reasonably pleasant to drink stouts. I think I'll add a dash a maltodextrin to the next iteration for body. And I don't see much of a future for the priming scoop. It looks like it's heading to the superceded equipment drawer.

I also think the Mr Beer Amber Ale will get subbed out of this project. Too liquoricy, but I'll use it as the base for a Chocolate Liquorice Bullet Stout recipe project. That sounds like fun. 

Oh, here are the brew notes

Edit: for some reason I don't quite understand the second set of notes (012) is upside down and, having just finished drinking both those bottles, the best I can do is recommend you use your phone if you want to read them, at least it's easy to turn you phone around.

IMG_20231117_185920721.thumb.jpg.7d6adb146c0713116c34a7ce86328e8d.jpg

IMG_20231117_185944014.thumb.jpg.7e6115e192c1239f10a40e27f9706238.jpg

Edited by Kegory
Edit
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hazy Pale Ale

• Aromas of sweet citrus and tropical fruit
  • Malty flavour with similar fruit flavours as the aroma
  • Bitterness seems higher than the recipe's 19 IBU, but with a smooth mouthfeel
  • This turned out quite well for a bitsa Pale Ale made from basically left over hops
  • I soften struggle to get the fresh hoppy aroma commercial brews tend to have, but this one is nicely on the money
  • 7/10

IMG_4029.JPG.f235d41ae1da845680ad2ffd21c90675.JPG

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hazy Pale Ale

• Aromas of sweet citrus and tropical fruit
  • Malty flavour with similar fruit flavours as the aroma
  • Bitterness seems higher than the recipe's 19 IBU, but with a smooth mouthfeel
  • This turned out quite well for a bitsa Pale Ale made from basically left over hops
  • I soften struggle to get the fresh hoppy aroma commercial brews tend to have, but this one is nicely on the money
  • 7/10

IMG_4029.JPG.f235d41ae1da845680ad2ffd21c90675.JPG

7/10? If it tastes as good as it sounds you are a hard marker.

• Like 1