Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

2 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Drinking my Jasmine Green Tea Lager. It's not bad, the Nelson Sauvin I reckon is a good match. But I'd probably go a bit less on the tea if I did it again. Seems to have added a little more bitterness than I would have liked.

IMG20230804072525.jpg

I think I’ve worked out who you really are DR CLAW 🙀!!!!

IMG_1484.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Coopers Lager.  I reported on the bottled version here.  This is the kegged version.  Very similar to the bottled version (see comments below).  The kegged version has much better head formation and retention.  Obviously we can manipulate that in the keg.

• Clean, slightly beery aroma with some floral hints
  • Nice and clear due to the finings I added during cold crashing
  • Nice balanced flavour and bitterness
  • Quite a nice beer and much better than Brew No. 1

IMG_3837.JPG.77d7cbfaf8c75845c058d994c4c2f133.JPG

• Like 16

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Lager.  I reported on the bottled version here.  This is the kegged version.  Very similar to the bottled version (see comments below).  The kegged version has much better head formation and retention.  Obviously we can manipulate that in the keg.

• Clean, slightly beery aroma with some floral hints
  • Nice and clear due to the finings I added during cold crashing
  • Nice balanced flavour and bitterness
  • Quite a nice beer and much better than Brew No. 1

IMG_3837.JPG.77d7cbfaf8c75845c058d994c4c2f133.JPG

Looks like you're sort of going back to basics @Shamus O'Sean

Results are looking good for you too.  I might have a look at doing that sort of thing just to get the passion back.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Looks like you're sort of going back to basics @Shamus O'Sean

Results are looking good for you too.  I might have a look at doing that sort of thing just to get the passion back.

Yes.  I was interested to see what I could make using the basic Coopers Lager kit, but using liquid malt instead of a Brew Enhancer and a proper good lager yeast and appropriate fermenting temperatures.  Plus a short extra boil of some hops, to get a few IBU's into my slightly larger batch size.  I am very happy with how the above beer turned out.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes.  I was interested to see what I could make using the basic Coopers Lager kit, but using liquid malt instead of a Brew Enhancer and a proper good lager yeast and appropriate fermenting temperatures.  Plus a short extra boil of some hops, to get a few IBU's into my slightly larger batch size.  I am very happy with how the above beer turned out.

What was your thinking in reusing the yeast from the Vienna lager @Shamus O'Sean. Did you have to add any yeast nutrient or do anything else to to make sure it got going again?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kegory said:

What was your thinking in reusing the yeast from the Vienna lager @Shamus O'Sean. Did you have to add any yeast nutrient or do anything else to to make sure it got going again?

I did the dirty batch for a couple of reasons:

• Reusing the yeast is free, or at least spreads the cost over 2 batches 
  • It is a good quality yeast 
  • Lagers like plenty of yeast cells, which a yeast cake has
  • As long as you control fermentation temperature, you cannot over pitch the yeast

i did not add any yeast nutrient. No need to in a dirty batch. The trub contains plenty of nutrients already.  These batches tend to take off pretty quickly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

IMG_7196.thumb.jpeg.6fce56c88551a8ef8ec8c668331a4957.jpeg  Straight forward monster can of ESB Australian Old with Nottingham Ale yeast. Had one last night and one now, not a bad brew. It actually is quiet similar to Toohey‘s Old. Could do with a bit more body. Might add some BE 2 or 3 if I brew it again.

IMG_7343.jpeg

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 8

Last night I made the biggest (but highly enjoyable) mistake. I felt the incredible urge and curiosity to try my latest brews who are only two weeks bottle conditioning and didn't even make it into the dungeon yet. The mistake was, never have an ABV 7%ter before an 8.8%ter, (or vice versa). It put me right to sleep, but not before I experienced absolute beerjoyment

Being so young these beers were absolutely delicious. I have been looking for some K&K recipes for the Sheaf Stout and the Southwark Stout (and found some) to try to copy these two excellent Stouts, but right now I don't feel any need to do so. This is probably one of the best brews I ever did, just played around with some Coopers recipes and added some leftovers I had. It is sooo smoooooth and creamy, not to sweet but also not bitter. Let's put it in the dungeon today for some proper conditioning, even so I might have to run an a/b test this arvo ,as I still have some Southwark left from the case I bought in Mildura. As for the Tzar's Tar, I followed the ROTM. It's a dark lager, very clean with beautiful fruity notes, reminding me of a plummy fruitcake. This one is gonna go to the back of the dungeon, as I wanna try some next winter.

IMG_7261.thumb.JPG.722e49a8001f366e842c934bcc0845e0.JPG                                                                          IMG_7260.thumb.JPG.13d381c2d9828cffa9ee93d031ed6903.JPG

IMG_7349.thumb.PNG.7a3d156ba015aabee380e418882b014f.PNG

IMG_7354.thumb.jpeg.41abe54f70d21b8a4c9ae47b7d8df710.jpeg

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 11
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Last night I made the biggest (but highly enjoyable) mistake. I felt the incredible urge and curiosity to try my latest brews who are only two weeks bottle conditioning and didn't even make it into the dungeon yet. The mistake was, never have an ABV 7%ter before an 8.8%ter, (or vice versa). It put me right to sleep, but not before I experienced absolute beerjoyment

Being so young these beers were absolutely delicious. I have been looking for some K&K recipes for the Sheaf Stout and the Southwark Stout (and found some) to try to copy these two excellent Stouts, but right now I don't feel any need to do so. This is probably one of the best brews I ever did, just played around with some Coopers recipes and added some leftovers I had. It is sooo smoooooth and creamy, not to sweet but also not bitter. Let's put it in the dungeon today for some proper conditioning, even so I might have to run an a/b test this arvo ,as I still have some Southwark left from the case I bought in Mildura. As for the Tzar's Tar, I followed the ROTM. It's a dark lager, very clean with beautiful fruity notes, reminding me of a plummy fruitcake. This one is gonna go to the back of the dungeon, as I wanna try some next winter.

IMG_7261.thumb.JPG.722e49a8001f366e842c934bcc0845e0.JPG                                                                          IMG_7260.thumb.JPG.13d381c2d9828cffa9ee93d031ed6903.JPG

IMG_7349.thumb.PNG.7a3d156ba015aabee380e418882b014f.PNG

IMG_7354.thumb.jpeg.41abe54f70d21b8a4c9ae47b7d8df710.jpeg

Hey @Brauhaus Fritz, where do you get those outstanding labels?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @Brauhaus Fritz, where do you get those outstanding labels?

For something like $4 got the lifetime membership on Beerlabelizer. I just upload photos and muck around a bit. I don’t really label my bottles but always print some myself to put into the crates. You can download them as pdf or jpeg 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

For something like $4 got the lifetime membership on Beerlabelizer. I just upload photos and muck around a bit. I don’t really label my bottles but always print some myself to put into the crates. You can download them as pdf or jpeg 

Yeah, it's a great program, I have had it for years but keep forgetting it. I mainly keg these days anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

This FWK is outstanding with Citra Hops 50gm late hop. The kegs got a bit of a punishment last night so I thought I should get a few in myself. 

20230807_170059.thumb.jpg.0eba38cfe52634e57d996c777e5f2dbf.jpg

I can vouch for that, great beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1