Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

For all of you golfers out there, this must be some sort of foursome. Is this what happens at your club?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqdrzzhMHvf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I was hoping that didnt go on the internet lol

nah if you did that at my golf club you would be told you are a w#%*er and told to leave that crap at the gate lol

• Like 2

What a wednesday golf in victoria melbourne ey.  blowing the scabs of an old scabby cat  

pretty tough at my home course  with the old farts and thought 34 points would have been a winner today

i felt relaxed not wanting to try hard  and just tried to use the wind  to my advantage

my drives today was 10-15mtres ahead from my normal drive , some holes that was playing into the wind  my group couldnt believe i was get the distance and to be honest i didnt either.

the 11th hole is a bit of a nuisance hole but  is fun to play   off the tee you need to be in the correct spot to  get your approach  to stop on the green  anything else ya just kiss good bye as it will scream of the green..    my drive  was in the wrong spot  even though i left it 70 out  and my wedge  i pulled right leaving my ball hard up on the tree and my playing partner luaghed and said you just earned ya self a wipe ya can play that.   well  i didnt react to his stirring   thought how i was going to play it   .  i basicly had to start  the ball 90° as it was to allow for the break on green as well as the down hill slope .  if i got the ball to good i would have been off the green by a mile.   so just got my ball started  and the other 3 players said thats off the green and they laughed   then the ball just stopped a foot away from the hole for a par  ,  the look on my playing partners faces was priceless.

i had 21 points on the front 9  and 17 points on the back with 2 wipes on the card

38 points and took home the chocolates    ,  was very happy with effort

Saturday  golf  see's  medal day and the last round of the l.j hines electic putting comp
bit worried i have used up all my good shots on wednesday but hey still will be a good day

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ozdevil said:

What a wednesday golf in victoria melbourne ey.  blowing the scabs of an old scabby cat  

pretty tough at my home course  with the old farts and thought 34 points would have been a winner today

i felt relaxed not wanting to try hard  and just tried to use the wind  to my advantage

my drives today was 10-15mtres ahead from my normal drive , some holes that was playing into the wind  my group couldnt believe i was get the distance and to be honest i didnt either.

the 11th hole is a bit of a nuisance hole but  is fun to play   off the tee you need to be in the correct spot to  get your approach  to stop on the green  anything else ya just kiss good bye as it will scream of the green..    my drive  was in the wrong spot  even though i left it 70 out  and my wedge  i pulled right leaving my ball hard up on the tree and my playing partner luaghed and said you just earned ya self a wipe ya can play that.   well  i didnt react to his stirring   thought how i was going to play it   .  i basicly had to start  the ball 90° as it was to allow for the break on green as well as the down hill slope .  if i got the ball to good i would have been off the green by a mile.   so just got my ball started  and the other 3 players said thats off the green and they laughed   then the ball just stopped a foot away from the hole for a par  ,  the look on my playing partners faces was priceless.

i had 21 points on the front 9  and 17 points on the back with 2 wipes on the card

38 points and took home the chocolates    ,  was very happy with effort

Saturday  golf  see's  medal day and the last round of the l.j hines electic putting comp
bit worried i have used up all my good shots on wednesday but hey still will be a good day

THROTDO OD.

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

Interesting funghi in the rough between the 2nd & 3rd fairways at Bundoora yesterday.

IMG_20230602_125728105.thumb.jpg.3aed30b1b2653c21d566572369a5c908.jpg

If I am not very much mistaken, this is a Shaggy Mane or Schopftintling in German 🙂 When I was a kid, we used to go foraging for mushrooms in the woods when it was the season. Mum used to mainly make mushroom soup from our pickings. We knew exactly what to take or more importantly, what not to take and nobody ever died from it 🙂 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

If I am not very much mistaken, this is a Shaggy Mane or Schopftintling in German 🙂 When I was a kid, we used to go foraging for mushrooms in the woods when it was the season. Mum used to mainly make mushroom soup from our pickings. We knew exactly what to take or more importantly, what not to take and nobody ever died from it 🙂 

They certainly look pretty shaggy, you could be right.

I have no idea what not to take therefore the only thing I take is pictures.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I would think if you knew the mushrooms that grew in your area all would be good, but I am a bit wary if I didn't know what they are.

I have seen a few dodgy ones growing around here. 🍄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would think if you knew the mushrooms that grew in your area all would be good, but I am a bit wary if I didn't know what they are.

I have seen a few dodgy ones growing around here. 🍄

Yeah, we did come across enough of the buggers that kill you. Death caps for example. Other, not-so-poisonous ones like Devils bolete or the good old toadstool. But heaps of yummy ones. But it was always a case of "if in doubt, throw it out". And we made sure to destroy the really bad ones. 

• Like 2

Just now, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, we did come across enough of the buggers that kill you. Death caps for example. Other, not-so-poisonous ones like Devils bolete or the good old toadstool. But heaps of yummy ones. But it was always a case of "if in doubt, throw it out". And we made sure to destroy the really bad ones. 

Yeah, call me over cautious but unless I see them for sale, I won't eat them. I have had several varieties come up in the garden, some are just brown mushrooms, another I took to a greengrocer & he said hell no, that's deadly, so I am just happy to buy them.

• Like 1

Well, that was another very average week of Golf!

Just couldn't hold any consistency, each good shot seemed to be followed by a few bad ones.

Two stroke rounds of 83 and 82

Two stableford rounds of 24 and 32

Today was the best of the week, off to a good start with 24 points for ten holes.

Only to finish the day with 32 points, frustrating!

Handicap shouldn't move, still 18.4

• Like 1

Well, well, I thought having played two quite decent shots in succession on the second. Maybe I'm going to skip right past mediocrity (mediocrity has long been my modest ambition as a terrible golfer) and establish myself as an average golfer.

Then I chipped in for a bogey (double bogeys are pretty good for me).

Well, well, said the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th holes. Don't go getting too far ahead of yourself. You've still got a lot to learn.

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 2:27 PM, Kegory said:

Well, well, I thought having played two quite decent shots in succession on the second. Maybe I'm going to skip right past mediocrity (mediocrity has long been my modest ambition as a terrible golfer) and establish myself as an average golfer.

Then I chipped in for a bogey (double bogeys are pretty good for me).

Well, well, said the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th holes. Don't go getting too far ahead of yourself. You've still got a lot to learn.

yarrambat an interesting course   with some great holes  have played there a couple of times now.   and used to caddy there for pennant with my old club

has some good bar facilities as well i believe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

yarrambat an interesting course   with some great holes  have played there a couple of times now.   and used to caddy there for pennant with my old club

Finally a team that can topple Port bloody  Adelaide, let's see if the Crows can bring  them down another rung.🤣

Sorry just realised this is a golf thread 😅 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

Yeah, quite an interesting course. And not only a bar but also a bistro area.

• Like 1

Finally back playing golf on a semi regular basis after family funerals and damn Covid disrupting family life for us. 

First round last week after 5 weeks off and scored 35 points for the stableford round, got to be happy with that.   Yesterday was another stableford round and finished with 32 points. Once again pretty happy with my consistency, until the last 3 holes where I only scored 2 points. 🥴

There's always next week.

Edited by GregT5
  • Like 3

I haven't posted for a while, but I have been playing regularly. Just not very well. I lost my dad back in late May, and while initially I still managed to play pretty well, it went downhill as more time went by, most rounds over the last 6 weeks or so struggling to get past 25 points with only two or three over 30. Handicap has blown out to 10.9 as a result. It's mostly mental, in that I'm letting bad shots or holes get to me too much. It's like as soon as one happens I feel like the round is stuffed already and it's gonna be another bad day. I am working on getting back to the one shot at a time mentality that did work well though.

However, I'm slowly getting back to the better form from earlier in the year, Saturday was ordinary but managed 31 points on Sunday. I had 18 on the back 9 with a wipe after the tee shot on 16 took a horrid kick off a tree and went ob. Apart from that, I made par on the other holes from 13 to the clubhouse, so I can take some confidence from that into this weekend. 

Also, I did a wedge fitting in early June, and I'm waiting for them to arrive now. Ended up with SM9 in my usual lofts of 50, 54 and 58. More bounce as well since my swing is reasonably steep. Looking forward to getting those in the bag!

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

47 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I haven't posted for a while, but I have been playing regularly. Just not very well. I lost my dad back in late May, and while initially I still managed to play pretty well, it went downhill as more time went by, most rounds over the last 6 weeks or so struggling to get past 25 points with only two or three over 30. Handicap has blown out to 10.9 as a result. It's mostly mental, in that I'm letting bad shots or holes get to me too much. It's like as soon as one happens I feel like the round is stuffed already and it's gonna be another bad day. I am working on getting back to the one shot at a time mentality that did work well though.

However, I'm slowly getting back to the better form from earlier in the year, Saturday was ordinary but managed 31 points on Sunday. I had 18 on the back 9 with a wipe after the tee shot on 16 took a horrid kick off a tree and went ob. Apart from that, I made par on the other holes from 13 to the clubhouse, so I can take some confidence from that into this weekend. 

Also, I did a wedge fitting in early June, and I'm waiting for them to arrive now. Ended up with SM9 in my usual lofts of 50, 54 and 58. More bounce as well since my swing is reasonably steep. Looking forward to getting those in the bag!

Sorry for your loss Otto, Hang in there & all the best for the future. 

You are a positive bloke & as you know time heals. I am sure you will get back on top of your golf & start kicking a*** again.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Sorry to hear about your dad, mate.  Things like a Forum are secondary in those situations.  Nice to hear that you are getting back into the golf.  Often those that we lose would have a "get back into it" view.  But it is always harder than that.

• Like 2