Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

11 hours ago, GregT5 said:

Had Dad's funeral on Wednesday and should have gone to visit Mother in law today but my wife said I should get out with my mates and have a hit of golf.

Sorry   for your loss  mate condolences to aqll your family

Sometimes a distraction  in times of death is a good thing  ,   just when the covid  pandemic set in  one Wednesday night my phone rang   it was a mate of mine calling  saying he has just lost  his son in the way no one would like to see he committed suicide by hanging himself .   we was on the phone  for ages   and i said mate  look there is nothing you can to do on a Saturday  you will have everything  organized  come and have a hit with ya mates , dont worry about  playing comp  just hang with us.  After that game he said oz ya know what mate ,  i just really needed the support from me mates  rather then the mundane  mourning i would be doing at home 
he went on and won the comp of the day..     it was very hard time for him as at the time of death you was only allowed 10 people  and sadly  didn't attend the funeral of his son, so  his daughter in law and children and the in laws  could attend .  he is not a selfish man and rather  put himself out  rather then his family and mates 

As you  found out mate   having a hit wether ya mind  is on the golf or not , it isn't about that its about taking your mind of  the grieving for 5 minutes and have a laugh and chatting with ya mates   

• Like 3

13 hours ago, GregT5 said:

We had a par round today.  It's been about 4 weeks since I last played, with visits to Dad and Mother in law in opposite directions in nursing homes.  Had Dad's funeral on Wednesday and should have gone to visit Mother in law today but my wife said I should get out with my mates and have a hit of golf. 

My mind wasn't truly in it but it was good to get out there, hit a few good shots and enjoy company (and associated sledging!)

Maybe next week we can get back to some decent golf. 

Sorry to hear about your Dad

Wacking a ball about with a good group of mates, is a good way to spend an arvo!

• Like 2

Wednesday, my run of good Golf came to an end, could not swing! Makes you wonder where it all goes from one day to the next.

Saturday it all came back, Swing was smooth again, slow start but came home strong.

Finished with 37 points and another drop in GA, now 16.7

Will need the smooth swing to play to this Handicap! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks everyone for the kind words.  Yes it was great to be around mates and have a bit of a laugh,  especially having a beer (maybe a few!) for a bloke that only had 1 beer in his life - go figure!

Oz @ozdevil, your story is particularly sad. 

@DavidM I can totally relate to that, good luck this week. 

• Like 3

On 3/19/2023 at 8:30 AM, DavidM said:

Wednesday, my run of good Golf came to an end, could not swing! Makes you wonder where it all goes from one day to the next.

Saturday it all came back, Swing was smooth again, slow start but came home strong.

Finished with 37 points and another drop in GA, now 16.7

Will need the smooth swing to play to this Handicap! 

Try playing to 7 😂 it's a bit different when you don't have many shots to waste on bad shots but I'm enjoying the challenge, apart from when I start like I did yesterday. The birdie on 4 settled me down and I played ok for the rest of the round. Decided to cut the corner a bit on this hole and probably got some help from the cart path. Second shot hit some trees, but the wedge ended up about 3 feet from the pin.

Also,sorry to hear of your loss Greg ☹️

550215712_Screenshot_20230319_120326_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ca01381dc6de8c239795b71110e26f91.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Try playing to 7 😂

"7".. I'll never be that good, and well done to You.

I have thought 14-15 is about as low as I could go but would have a hard time staying that low.

It might look more like 14-18 as I ride the wave of Highs and Lows.

Had a practice hit today and it seemed like every second shot was a beaut..

And the other one was a Top to no where...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

"7".. I'll never be that good, and well done to You.

I have thought 14-15 is about as low as I could go but would have a hard time staying that low.

It might look more like 14-18 as I ride the wave of Highs and Lows.

Had a practice hit today and it seemed like every second shot was a beaut..

And the other one was a Top to no where...

Cheers. My actual GA went back out to 9.1 after Saturday but with course ratings etc the daily handicap ranges between a few strokes. 

My first shot yesterday was a wild slice over someone's fence, and just to rub it in it was sitting right there behind a huge net so I couldn't even retrieve it 🤣 then hacked and shanked and topped my way around until the swing finally clicked on 4. Bloody hate ruining the round right off the bat like that 

• Like 2

Not posting a card today, not because it was a bad round but the app had the holes all messed up. I've since edited it to put them in the right order and have the proper ones played twice. 

I went out to Laidley today for the men's classic, which is a 36 hole event across the weekend. It's only a 12 hole course, so 1-6 are played again from different tees to make up the 18. Ended up shooting 84 for a net 77 so not a great round but not having played there before I suppose it wasn't too bad. Lost one in the drink but "saved" bogey so not much damage from that. Too many 3 putts, took a bit to get used to the pace of the greens which seemed a bit two paced to me. Lots of subtle breaks in them too which was challenging. I felt like I putted worse than 31 putts for the round. Driving was pretty good apart from a couple of crappy slices and the water ball. Averaged 258 metres with a longest of 285, on the ones I tracked anyway. 

Anyway, back again tomorrow for the second round, hoping I'll play a bit better for the hit today. 

• Like 4

Good luck tomorrow Kelsey.

We had a 4BBB today as well as an individual stableford.  I finished with 35 - 17 on the front nine and 19 on the back. Fairly happy with that given the lack of golf in recent weeks. Came in 11th out of 79 players. Unfortunately my partner had  26 points & we finished with 41 points - the winners came in with 48.

Might be the end of golf for me for a few weeks, we start vintage tomorrow night and I'm past working 12 hour night shift and fronting up for golf 4 hours later!

• Like 3

Sunday's second round was a bit better but only by a couple of strokes. Fixed up the hole order and whatnot in the app on Saturday arvo once I got home so I could actually track it properly. I had the hang of the greens a bit better after playing Saturday, but hit too many balls into the water. Without those I was probably looking at around 77-79. Highlight of the weekend was this 40m hole out for birdie after pretty ordinary contact on the tee shot. It went straight enough at least.

Unfortunately the GA has gone out a bit to 9.6, but I have a number of ordinary rounds coming up for drop off over the next month or so, so hopefully I can bring it back down to a new low. 

Back home for the monthly medal on Saturday and the Sunday Stableford. 

136742525_Screenshot_20230326_142636_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.64502c1d6ddf6130381ae7e4919f0422.jpg

• Like 4

No pictures today. Only a handful of mulligans. Even managed to hit a few in the air. Oh, and my little chips are coming back (they deserted me after having my first lesson).

Got my second lesson booked in next week.

• Like 2

Good day out today, bit of a return to form for the monthly medal. I was in B grade today thanks to the GA going out a bit recently, and ended up winning the gross and nett for that grade. First time I have in a medal I think. 

Not a great front 9 but I'm happy with how I fought back, although disappointed to ruin my chance of my first 9 holes under or even par with a silly double on the last. Some pretty good par saves on several holes on that back 9, a couple of them after horrendous tee shots. The approaches and putting caught fire though, quite a few holes I landed within 10 feet of the pin. On 15 I actually hit it from 90 out, it hit the edge of the hole then bounced off the flag to a couple of metres away or so. 

GA back down to 8.8. 

934979482_Screenshot_20230401_181707_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.85cfef0e8025a354ffbec743da5ae20c.jpg

• Like 5

Good looking score card Kelsey.

Ordinarily the saying goes "You write a number not a story " on your score card.  Your posts give us both which makes great reading.  Thanks for that &good luck getting your handicap down further. 

I will admit I am a bit envious, but working nights doesn't make for great golf.

• Like 4

Thanks mate, it was nice to play a bit more consistent today. 

Working full stop doesn't help it I suppose. Dropped 3 shots in a month of holidays and was playing pretty much the best I've ever played, since going back it's sort of stagnated, at least it's not blowing out though. Perhaps the $135 of pro shop credit can go towards a lesson, it's been a while thanks to all these bloody rate rises. 

• Like 1

monthly medal   yesterday  playing  at the old course   as i am a member of 2 clubs .   well i thought i was going to be in for a tough day  , the winds well up in the arvo  making it nearly a 3 club extra  and with hot 15°c with bugger all run  it made it tough conditions 

started with a 6  next hole i ripped myself off and told me playing partner i had a 5  , he goes i dont thinks oz  i think you had a 4 and he started to run down my shots ,  he was right ,  it just felt like a 5 to me but  for a 80 year old he has a sharp memory .

front nine was my best   having 47 of the stick  and was very consistent   with bogy golf  and the odd 6   which i was happy with 
back 9 well it was a bit harsher  as i fell away at the end   coming to the par 3  16th   tee shot  out of bounds  or was infact lost in the  thick scrubby bush  you would only find snakes in   so reloaded and  finished with a 6   next hole  played it shocking as well  and finished with some careless putting with a 7   last hole   well  hardest hole on the course    not to shabby a drive and 2nd shot 3rd shot was a shocker and nearly broke me wrist as the ball just laid on a thick weed   and the wedge just caught  on the weed and keeped digging.   however  my marker goes mick i know you cant play golf but  just pull a great shot of here  and ya can walk off with a 5  ,  well  i played a nice little wedge shot  just pulling it slightly right  and nearly sunk the put for 5  but still happy to walk off with a 6 
finishing the 9 with 50

giving me  gross 97
with net score of 73

in some trying conditions  so pretty happy with that

today see's me playingwith my social group at East Geelong  with all the bats  which isn't to bad a track except   you have to hit over the road 6 times which can be pretty dangerous  but a fun little course 

Wednesday will see me at my new course in my town  playing for the monthly midweek medal   in which i hope i dont get paired up with none of 50 handicappers  because they are dead slow

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Good day out today, bit of a return to form for the monthly medal. I was in B grade today thanks to the GA going out a bit recently, and ended up winning the gross and nett for that grade. First time I have in a medal I think. 

Not a great front 9 but I'm happy with how I fought back, although disappointed to ruin my chance of my first 9 holes under or even par with a silly double on the last. Some pretty good par saves on several holes on that back 9, a couple of them after horrendous tee shots. The approaches and putting caught fire though, quite a few holes I landed within 10 feet of the pin. On 15 I actually hit it from 90 out, it hit the edge of the hole then bounced off the flag to a couple of metres away or so. 

GA back down to 8.8. 

934979482_Screenshot_20230401_181707_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.85cfef0e8025a354ffbec743da5ae20c.jpg

good arrows mate ,  i think consistency is pretty  key to golf to  play steady good golf and to improve along with great putting  and chipping skills and knowing when to take the medicine and not staying worked up about that dreaded bad shot in the hole

i can only dream of a score card like yours kel  .

well done loving watching your journey

• Like 2

Thanks mate, yes indeed, it's just difficult to find. That tee shot on 15 was about the worst shot I've hit for a while, almost missed the ball and it only went about 90 metres. Then a good 3 wood to get down to the 90 out to save the par. I thought I'd be bogeying it at best after the tee shot. 

I might go and play like crap today who knows 😂 the pace of the round yesterday was good too which was surprising for a medal. They're usually 5 hours or more. 

White markers Stableford today, off four less shots than yesterday... just gotta keep hitting those fairways and greens, or at least close enough to not be hitting recovery shots all the time. Weather looks nicer out there too. No rain yesterday but just overcast.

• Like 2

It's been a roller coaster month, GA has gone from 21.5 down to 16.1 My lowest GA ever!

But my last three games I've forgotten how to play golf! Two 23's and a 26

Started smooth yesterday and felt good but half way things turned bad and never recovered.

Didn't think I was doing anything different but the swing was not there and the score showed it.

Will have a hit later, see if I can get something back before Mondays game.

• Sad 1

Bit ordinary today even though the weather was perfect for it. I played ok on the front 9 but that annoying blister on my right ring finger decided to make an appearance around the back, and my shots became more erratic as a result. I'm gonna try taping it up next week to see if it prevents it. The putting continued to be decent at least. GA out to 9.3

251506256_Screenshot_20230402_152625_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5dd7c014b6126941e590d977b03c1e90.jpg

• Like 3