Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

No such luck. Started with four pars then couldn't keep it going, finished with 27 points. Probably to be expected really, but it was a good opportunity to keep working on my swing. I hit it better today but putting wasn't on, missed a lot of short ones that I'd normally make easily. Some really crappy luck in the trees on a couple of holes late didn't help. 

Perhaps this weekend it'll start coming together properly more. 

• Sad 1

My game improved markedly yesterday. My strokes went mainly in the air and stayed mainly on the fairways. I only played five holes (late-ish start and I wanted to get onto the Ring Rd before everybody else did) but on the three par 4's I was in range of the greens after my second stroke instead of my usual third, fourth or fifth.

I couldn't quite get all my ducks to line up in a row and my score may not have improved but I definitely played better than I ever have before.

IMG_20231006_142451081.thumb.jpg.2c6d0c06b8a1297ec53cd921ea03b8ff.jpg

• Like 1

had tops turvy kind of around   yesterday at my golf club  started very poorly  but cam home strong.  to finish with 31 points but was  shocking front nine.

we even had a Port Adelaide footy Player playing in our comp playing of  handicap  of 12 which was Zak Buters   he finished with an honest 34 points .   i felt sorry for him a bit he had the clubs slowest player playing in his group and no i didnt play with Zak Buters

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Didn't play last week as I was sick with a flu or whatever it was. 

This week is a 36 hole foursomes championship tomorrow, then a normal Stableford Sunday. I'll probably go halves in a cart with my mate tomorrow, normally I'd just walk but coming back after just getting over this crap it's probably better to conserve some energy. 

• Like 1

I'll play any game that comes up on the calendar but..

I'm not a fan of foursomes, I never seem to warm up and if you are just off your game, you can't play your way back into the game.

Played an Ambrose on GrandFinal day, to speed up play so people could watch the game. It ended up being over 4 hours for the game! Not happy, most of my games are over in 3.30-- 3.45 hours, (Finished around Wednesday in 3.08 hours, that was quick).

Played a bunch this week and last, most of the games were around the low to mid 30's, with one mid 20's.

Feeling good about the swing but not always seeing the scores reflect how I'm hitting it. Greens have been Cored and Sanded which is not helping, make a good putt and see it hit a hole, bounce sideways and miss the cup! Couple of weeks and they will be back to normal.

• Like 1

Well we were ten shots worse in the second round, probably largely due to fatigue, particularly in the second 9. Still, it was a fun day and something different to the norm. I'd have to say I prefer it over any form of ambrose. 

Yesterday I finally managed to actually play golf on 14 of the 18 holes. Ended up with 33 points. First time in a while I've had a decent front 9 with 18 points which included a wipe on 7. Got a NTP at 235cm and the birdie, on 5. Hit a 7 iron right on my number of 150 pin high. It just stopped on landing. Effectively 37 (+3) for the front. 

Back 9 started well with a par, stuffed up 11 a bit after a good enough drive for a bogey 1 point, couple more bogeys for 2 points each to still be to handicap through 13. Then things fell apart a bit. Perfect tee shot on 14 to be 90 out, but wiped it after going into a greenside trap. If I have time this week I'm going to do some practice on that. Missed an easy putt on 15 that would have been for 2 points. Hit a terrible drive on 16 but recovered well enough for a bogey 2 points. Another silly 1 point on 17 courtesy of leaving a par putt too short. On 18 I hit a drive to 50 out, this time hit the green and made par so a nice finish. 

They are growing the greens a bit at the moment in preparation for a major renovation in a couple of weeks, so they're a fair bit slower than I'm used to, hence leaving longer putts too short more than I'd like. Hopefully once they come back from the reno they speed them up again. 

I'm starting to get a bit more consistent in my shots again, it's not back to where I was yet but the signs are there. It's slow and somewhat frustrating but I'm confident I can get there. I'll probably have more luck with that when I go on holidays and can play a lot more often too. 

• Like 3

1st round of clubbies last saturday  however our club is spacing the clubbies over several weeks so that they are not played  4 weeks   for some reason  

1st round  was  a mixture of allsorts from licorice to boiled lollies     but i was consistantly bad  but finished with  a net 79 of a handicap of 21    so  did a bradman

anyway  some sad news today    Eastern golf club today   at yering meadows , which  was reletive new course built  and designed By  Greg Norman    burned to the Ground,   hopefully there insurance comes through quick so they can get restarted on the rebuild .

feel for the staff as they have now no job to go to until they get  the new premises built,  the Pro shop will mostlikely be a portable building so they can continue playing golf

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

golf  today wasnt that bad started well like a box of cadburies finest choclates to finish like boiled lollies .

started on the back being shot gun couldnt miss a trick , i usually hate the back nine but today was my friend.   front nine well  couldnt take trick buts thats golf

quite annoyed with the group in front as we caught 1 person cheating.   but that was least of my worries  , as i got a phone call  from the good wife  and she was in tears   , i asked what the matter was  she said  i just lost my cousin, it looks like i maybe doing a run to Adelaide with in the week for a funeral .

anyway  golf was played  as well as prayer for the loss of a family member 

• Sad 5

Sorry for your loss Oz.

I managed to find a bit of improvement last weekend. On Saturday I played in the medal of medals after winning one in April. Pretty ordinary start with two doubles but did better after that until another silly double on 9. Unfortunately couldn't get off the bogey train on the back 9 and finished with 87/74, but the swing was better than it has been lately. 

On Sunday I played in the social club at a different course, still local and I have played it a number of times. Started on 10, first shot sliced out onto the road for a double. They are redoing the greens on 11 and 12 at the moment so next hole 13, much better drive to leave a 40m pitch in. Par. Another double on 14 then made pars all the way around to the 2nd hole. Silly bogey on 3 ended that run, then went par, bogey, par until I pulled the drive on 7 into the bush. Found the ball, third shot from the fairway into a greenside trap, but got it out to about 4 feet and missed the putt. I thought it would break right and it didn't. The next two holes are temporary par 3s they use when redoing greens, pretty easy holes really. The tee on the second one annoys me though, it's only a lob wedge but every time I've played it the club just slides under the ball and it goes nowhere. I might try a different wedge next time. Bit of a crappy end when I tripled the par 5 9th. Got to a greenside trap in 3 after an ordinary drive and second shot left me still about 200 out. Then I somehow shanked it out way over the green and down the hill, got it back on and 3 putted 🤦🏻‍♂️ended up with 85/73, off the stick two better and to par 3 better than Saturday.

I do like the course however. The greens could be sped up though as they're painfully slow, although this could be due to being cored and sanded a couple of weeks prior. They are very grainy, which is a great way to learn how it affects putts. I'll probably go there again for a comp in another month or two or maybe wait til my January holidays. 

Anyway, hopefully I can build on the improvement again this weekend, just a couple of Stableford rounds at my home club this week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Played four rounds of golf this week and all were in the low to mid 30's. Nothing special just steady golf. Striking the ball well at times, with the regular mishits to stop the good scores. Also made it to the semifinal of a handicap matchplay event, lost badly in that! Came up against a new member who is coming back to golf and is time poor right now, not playing comps but practicing a lot. We were evenly matched in our play, drove about the same distance, chipped about the same, misshit a bit but I had to give him 6 shots and that became the difference. Enjoyed the match, nice bloke to play with, I would expect him to go on to win the comp.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:52 AM, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

We are sorry for your loss mate. Abby, Liam & Frank.

@Coopers DIY Beer Team and to everyone that expessed therewell wishes,  we thank you all,   we knew he   was in dire straights was facing a 2nd liver transplant  had his 1st around the age 4-5 (no not through alcohol lol). passed at 31 years old

i must admitf this and brings it home to me , more so.   

Sorry @Otto Von Blotto not trying to make it sad post but unfortunately it is  when this was your journey about golf

As we are drinkers and home brewers and golfers that like a good beer, please keep yaselves in check , get  to the doc  and keep your health in check  as drinking effects our vital organs like liver and kidneys

i do practice what i preach , i live on 1 kidney  myself , i do abuse it  and have slowed in recent times ,  but i get a check up every 3 months on my  kidney, liver and other vitals .

my partners  cousin didnt need to drink to lose his liver the 1st or 2nd time , it just shows  if you get a chance you may not get the 2nd chance .....     

sorry if it feels a lecture its not ment to be 

but thankyou all for the understanding  and well wishes 

my golf tommorow will be in honour of him  and will be leaving soon after golf so we can to a funeral in Adelaide .

@Classic Brewing Co if i get chance,  we will call in,  no promises  but you better have a decent beer ready if i do , your taps will be emptied

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

@Coopers DIY Beer Team and to everyone that expessed therewell wishes,  we thank you all,   we knew he   was in dire straights was facing a 2nd liver transplant  had his 1st around the age 4-5 (no not through alcohol lol). passed at 31 years old

Sorry @Otto Von Blotto not trying to make it sad post but unfortunately it is  when this was your journey about golf

As we are drinkers and home brewers and golfers that like a good beer, please keep yaselves in check , get  to the doc  and keep your health in check  as drinking effects our vital organs like liver and kidneys

i do practice what i preach , i live on 1 kidney  myself , i do abuse it  and have slowed in recent times ,  but i get a check up every 3 months on my  kidney, liver and other vitals .

my partners  cousin didnt need to drink to lose his liver the 1st or 2nd time , it just shows  if you get a chance you may not get the 2nd chance .....     

my golf tommorow will be in honour of him  and will be leaving soon after golf so we can to a funeral in Adelaide .

@Classic Brewing Co if i get chance,  we will call in,  no promises  but you better have a decent beer ready if i do , your taps will be emptied

Hey OD, you are welcome anytime, I  will have a keg beer ready by Tuesday/Wednesday next week so you already have my number/address etc but PM me if you need to confirm. 

Do you really drink that much. 🤔 

17 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Nicely said Ozzy.  Off to a skin check myself next week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Do you really drink that much. 🤔

if it is good i do mate , you up for it lol

if the mrs says we going we coming mate.   

she is just waiting on when it is  ,  i have to be back in melbourne to do a sa run by thursday mate , we have a few guys off work and we only have 2 that can replace us interstaters and they are working local  on thursday

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

if it is good i do mate , you up for it lol

if the mrs says we going we coming mate.   

she is just waiting on when it is  ,  i have to be back in melbourne to do a sa run by thursday mate , we have a few guys off work and we only have 2 that can replace us interstaters and they are working local  on thursday

Sounds like a plan, keep me posted & we will work it out.

Cheers mate 👍 🍻

It's all good Oz, no need to apologise for letting us know mate. 

I had a good day today, I think it's the second time I've started with a crap hole then gone on to make it decent. Ended up winning my grade and tied third overall. I'm rediscovering elements of my swing that were there when I got to single figures, and as a result my ball striking has improved over the last few weeks, particularly the last fortnight. Shame about the wipes, if they'd even been bogeys I'd have shot sub 80 for the first time in ages. As it is, adjusted gross was 81. 

Screenshot_20231028_165213_OxleyGolfclub.thumb.jpg.1d059a42155e91e41f0f4e81223f79f8.jpg

• Like 3

I played 9 holes at Yarra Bend today. It was the first time I've played there.

IMG_20231101_141700688.thumb.jpg.bc52645fafdebb3c243fafdc265e1000.jpg

It's an interesting course, picturesque, quite hilly. It offers a bit but it's also rather challenging.

IMG_20231101_132928047.thumb.jpg.3679b4253bad2851f3e50f1ab5fdcc20.jpg

I played ok, for me. The greens were really tricky, hard, fast and undulating.

This may be the most successful duck family in Melbourne. I don't recall ever seeing this many ducklings of that size.

IMG_20231101_142859370.thumb.jpg.0b23e513cd3cfd73fcef62ccf8bbf899.jpg

Edited by Kegory
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The greens at my course were renovated about a fortnight ago, and they're still quite sandy and ridiculously slow, however the grass looks a lot more lush so they should be really nice once they're properly back. 

I didn't play well yesterday with 30 points. Drove it alright but just hit some really ordinary iron and wedge shots. Chipping and putting was pretty much a hit and hope lottery really. 

Today was a lot better although the driver misbehaved badly, I think I only hit one fairway with it and that was on the first. However I hit my irons and wedges a lot better. Shot of the day was on 11 after I got the drive out of the trees and had 162m to go. Choked down a bit on a 5 iron uphill into the wind a little and got it to a bit over 2 feet. I reckon it was close to going in for eagle, but I couldn't see that from the fairway. Got my handicap back down under the soft cap to 10.9 as well. Hopefully next week I can get back to hitting better drives.

Screenshot_20231112_185413_OxleyGolfclub.thumb.jpg.396515e8761b702485387d08f252c1d3.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting day on Saturday. Last round of the championships (I was working on the first round, so not in it). For the second week in a row I shot 90 nett 74 so 1 over my handicap. Shot 49 on the front nine and 41 on the back nine. I had 5 putts that if they were put together wouldn't total 12 inches! They can (and did) put a dent in a reasonably good round. 

Funny game, golf.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GregT5 said:

Interesting day on Saturday. Last round of the championships (I was working on the first round, so not in it). For the second week in a row I shot 90 nett 74 so 1 over my handicap. Shot 49 on the front nine and 41 on the back nine. I had 5 putts that if they were put together wouldn't total 12 inches! They can (and did) put a dent in a reasonably good round. 

Funny game, golf.....

Stupid game.

I've only been able to play once in nearly five weeks. I'm really hoping I can get out this week and chase that stupid little ball around and hit it with my stupid little sticks 😉

11 hours ago, Kegory said:

Stupid game.

I've only been able to play once in nearly five weeks. I'm really hoping I can get out this week and chase that stupid little ball around and hit it with my stupid little sticks 😉

I haven't played that stupid game for many years, what a waste of a day, belting the hell out of a little ball, going to get it & do it again.

When it is finally in the hole, it is picked up & done again.

I would rather go for a walk & then go have a beer, less stress. 🤣

• Haha 1