Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

New thread for those of you who have given up fermenting beer and prefer to work on your flog score (that's golf backwards like I used to play it). 😁

I have not played in donkey's years - sold my sticks and gear as they were always getting in the way just sitting there in the garage.

Might do just a 9 hole game one day just to see if I can enjoy it again.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I take no responsibility for that thread going off topic 😜

All good OVB and thanks.👌

Sometimes it good to diverge a just a little, just not a little too long.  Adds interest if you are interested in those things that take it OT.

Golf deserves its own thread as many people play it.  I am just not one of them at this stage - life is just too busy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

We might even see a coopers Diy  beer  Social  golf club in each state
beer golf all goes well with each other   

Now there is an idea.  I would have to hire some sticks and use some ear plugs as you would all be laughing at me.

When I used to play (and play badly I did), used a similar plan to @Tone boy.  Left most of the sticks at home, grabbed a large heavy duty garbage bag, put it into my buggy bag then filled it with crushed ice and cans of beer.  In those days we could mark our territory on every tree around the course. 😉

When I used to warm up before a game used to grab two sticks, say a 1 iron and a 3 iron and swing them held together as one stick at an imaginary ball.  That way when you just used the one stick to really hit the ball you "really hit the ball" as all your muscles where a little bit programmed for the heavier stick weight and the swing worked better.

Used to practice chipping balls into a bucket of water in the back yard for weeks on end and during a game could chip the ball in the hole at least two holes every round much to the amazement of the mugs who were silly enough to include me in their games.  I needed to do this trick as my putting was sheet house.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good idea but I reckon it would be better to forget hitting balls & then go chasing after them & just sit & drink beer !! Just a thought 😜 🍻

By half way through the day we can forget golf sticks - we'll be needing snooker sticks

And maybe a pair of floaties, some flippers, a slingshot, and a mannequin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

This would have to be @Otto Von Blotto at the 1st tee on a saturday to play the Monthly model 😂😂😂

That could be a bit harsh 🤣 I am sure he said he doesn't get into it until after, anyway I have seen plenty of p....d golfers when I was younger, some of them used to drink a 6 pack in the first 9 & then call into the Clubhouse for a couple & by then they would end up saying, bugger the other 9 that will do, may as well just gone staight to the Clubhouse or stayed home.

• Like 2

Yeah nah I couldn't play like that 🤣

I have played somewhat hungover once, at Byron Bay on a golf trip last year, that was bad enough especially on the back 9. But somehow got a NTP on the 15th or 16th whatever it was because I was the only one to even land on the green 😂

I did stop at the clubhouse after 16 holes recently (it's between the 16th green and 17th tee) because it started peeing down rain, had a beer while it went past then finished the last two holes. But yeah other than the odd beer after 9 holes I don't really drink and play, partly also because I have to drive home afterwards 🤣

36 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah nah I couldn't play like that 🤣

I have played somewhat hungover once, at Byron Bay on a golf trip last year, that was bad enough especially on the back 9. But somehow got a NTP on the 15th or 16th whatever it was because I was the only one to even land on the green 😂

I did stop at the clubhouse after 16 holes recently (it's between the 16th green and 17th tee) because it started peeing down rain, had a beer while it went past then finished the last two holes. But yeah other than the odd beer after 9 holes I don't really drink and play, partly also because I have to drive home afterwards 🤣

Truth be Known OVB  

I have on a few occasions  , however havent had to drive home like it   lucky for  Me but the poor  wifey  she has the honour of driving becuase she doesnt drink
mind you have stopped drinking on the course,  but never stops me having a 1/2 doz of schooners in the club house afterwards

I love to play Golf, when some of my family heard this, it was not believed. Spent most of my life playing on the Water on some type of Board or Boat.

Now I'm hooked on Golf and Beer, its not a bad combo.

A Walk in the park with mates talking Crap, It's like a men's shed.

Then a few beers in the Club and (for me) a walk home and more beer.

I don't drink and play, have done but only on a social fund raiser day. Didn't enjoy the beer or the golf that day.

Golf first then beer!

• Like 2

I have a tendency to start well, have had several rounds lately where I've shot in the 30s on the front, then on the back 9 the swing starts getting a bit loose and I spray it a bit more. Need to work on that. 

And there's one hole on my course that curves to the right, and without fail every round I spray it right into the trees, or if I'm lucky it goes far enough onto the adjacent fairway that I can hit the second over the trees. Any other hole I can generally drive it pretty straight but that one I just revert to my usual fault. Shits me to tears 

• Like 1

Golf is probably the main reason I haven't progressed to kegging. 90% of my brews are consumed on the course. There are 3 in our group that enjoy a beer so I've usually got a 6 pack in my esky on my buggy.  I am playing off 12 at the moment, the others in our group range from 1 handicap to 22.

A usual Saturday for us is meet at the pub for a beer and a couple of bets on the horses then tee off at around midday, 18 holes, couple of beers in the clubhouse while they do  the presentations then home for a snooze in front of the TV.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GregT5 said:

Golf is probably the main reason I haven't progressed to kegging. 90% of my brews are consumed on the course. There are 3 in our group that enjoy a beer so I've usually got a 6 pack in my esky on my buggy.  I am playing off 12 at the moment, the others in our group range from 1 handicap to 22.

A usual Saturday for us is meet at the pub for a beer and a couple of bets on the horses then tee off at around midday, 18 holes, couple of beers in the clubhouse while they do  the presentations then home for a snooze in front of the TV.

Not a bad life

2 hours ago, GregT5 said:

seems like my saturday  the only thing i dont do is the Pub   as we have the tab at our club

• Like 1

Being a former elite athlete 🤣 I had all the attributes to become a great golfer. I was strong, reasonably fit and had great hand eye coordination. Even without any golf training I had a pretty good golf swing. Unfortunately golf requires a modicum of application for one to be successful at it. This is where my golf fell apart.
I played socially almost every Saturday in the summer months for about 20 years with my mates. Sadly one of those mates carked it and one moved interstate for work. I have other golf mates but the two absentees were the core of our golf group. So my clubs have sat dormant in the garage for about 10 years. Funny enough, I don't miss playing golf. I just miss the comradery of golf day....the 40 minute drive to Royal & Ancient Mt Pleasant GC 😉, the stopping at the TTG TAB to put our bets on before golf, grabbing a pie at a hills bakery before and the beers after at the Talunga Hotel while checking those TAB tickets off.
And back then there was no phone coverage on the course so the wives couldn't bother any of us. It was bliss. 🙂 

• Like 5

@ozdevil we don't have the TAB at the club, but we do have a big screen TV & online betting accounts. 

@MUZZY  it sounds like you played golf like we do, only we do it in competition on Saturdays. Good mates, good banter (bordering on full on sledging!) good beers. It might look to others like we are mucking around, but we are still in a competition so we want to win or at least drop our handicap. 

• Like 2