Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

@GregT5 Our group were mostly off season amateur footballers, hence we only played the summer months. We all lived around the north east suburbs of Adelaide.
R&A MPGC isn't what you'd call a great course but it was good. What we liked about it was being able to play a round without too many others on the course. None of the frustrations of waiting for a group in front of you or the pressure of a group behind. Dress code was a bit more relaxed. Being in the country there was also none of the stuffed shirt attitude you can encounter at some metro courses. It was a 40 minute drive to golf but that time was offset by the time saved on the course by the reasons aforementioned. And as I mentioned earlier the drive and the stops were what made the day for me. The golf was a sideshow for me.
I'd recommend at least giving the course a try. Back then green fees were pretty cheap too compared to metro courses. I don't know what they are now.

• Like 3

Ah golf. Love the game and hate it at the same time. Played a lot in my younger days and got decent at it. Got the handicap down to the high single digits when I was playing regularly. But it's a game of practice and touch particularly around the greens which is where most shots are lost. Played my last game just before Xmas and shot in the mid 20s over with a couple of shockers and about 5 3 putts. The time before that was the previous Xmas and it was a similar effort. Would love to play more but finding the time is always the issue for me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Ah golf. Love the game and hate it at the same time. Played a lot in my younger days and got decent at it. Got the handicap down to the high single digits when I was playing regularly. But it's a game of practice and touch particularly around the greens which is where most shots are lost. Played my last game just before Xmas and shot in the mid 20s over with a couple of shockers and about 5 3 putts. The time before that was the previous Xmas and it was a similar effort. Would love to play more but finding the time is always the issue for me.

The trouble is @Greenyinthewestofsydney you would come out of the trees with a jar of wild wattle yeast for your next Flanders, when your meant to be looking for your mates ball🤣

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I also used to play as a young fella got down to a 13 handicap, don’t play much at all any more really miss it especially the Saturday comps. Had a chance to win the club championship one year when I was 15 shot a 78 in the first round the guy that always won didn’t play well. We paired up the next day for the second round he Syked me out and I went to pieces shot a 90🤬

• Sad 1

I don't worry about waiting for groups in front, unless it's a ridiculous amount of time. I just use the time to run through a few practice drills. It's not much of a problem in my club comps except for one corner of the course that always gets bunched up on a couple of holes for some reason. It's more of an issue in the social club I play in because if they're not old and can only hit it 150m if they're lucky, they're spraying it all over the place and wasting time looking for it. I always like being one of the first groups on those days to avoid the waiting 😂

Meanwhile, in the file of strange golf swings I witnessed this after a round one day (if the video uploads anyway)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

49 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't worry about waiting for groups in front, unless it's a ridiculous amount of time. I just use the time to run through a few practice drills. It's not much of a problem in my club comps except for one corner of the course that always gets bunched up on a couple of holes for some reason. It's more of an issue in the social club I play in because if they're not old and can only hit it 150m if they're lucky, they're spraying it all over the place and wasting time looking for it. I always like being one of the first groups on those days to avoid the waiting 😂

Meanwhile, in the file of strange golf swings I witnessed this after a round one day (if the video uploads anyway)

Can you please delete that video  of me OVB , i do not like  photo plasted on the interwebs specially on a beer forum  🥵 😂

seriously  wierd swing  we have a similar at our club but more looks like charles barkley swing

Now  you may  differ from my opinion here @Otto Von Blotto    i dont think becuase a older person can only hit it 150m  of the tee that is slowing the play of golf down, not even the high handicapper is the cause of slow play.   its a bit like myself  coming out and blurting  slow play is caused by the  single figure golfer  that has 200 practice swings   and then stands at the address of the ball  for ages before actually hitting the ball.   oh i am with you for those that take for ever and day looking for a golf ball  even some take 5 minutes to look for a wooden tee

I think alot of issue of slow play comes from how the particular group acts from tee to green..  often or not you will see a group of 4  all 4 go to one ball to wait for player 1 to hit then they all go to player 2 to hit etc etc  on every shot

The other week  i was sitting in the club house after a comp  and there was this social group playing in our saturday comp  pressentation never happened to late this day and i mean late
as this group was last of the tee.  i watched them on the 9th hole  a group of 4  in all matching outfits  , these 4 blokes also was in sync the would side step the entire green  twice in both directions   then 1st player lays down behind the ball  to line it up and get the read of the green ,  then 3 others do it then they the player would put.  then they go to the next players ball the same routine   happened  they all waited for each other before side stepping around the green in both directions twice and then all laid down to line there put up.  

they continued that routine on every putt   then at the end they would band together in a huddle and discuss what happened on that hole before moving on and thought to myself get a couple of stubbies and just watch them on a few holes i could see from the club house and sure enough every hole they followed this routine

I am glad these guys was not in the middle of the field  it would have prooved to be a long long round waiting for them

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

I think alot of issue of slow play comes from how the particular group acts from tee to green..  often or not you will see a group of 4  all 4 go to one ball to wait for player 1 to hit then they all go to player 2 to hit etc etc  on every shot

Absolutely agree with this!

I play in the afternoon groups, and watch the Morning ladies group finish off the last 9, wondering down the fairway, waiting for each player to hit, never ready to hit, you get the idea.

Once they have finished, we play the next 9, 30-40 min's quicker!

• Like 4

In some ways it does because they take more shots over the same distance, but it's more the amount of wayward shots they spend time looking for that slows it down. Usually the groups I play in just walk separately to our own ball unless we all hit it in the same direction, I can't say I've seen any all go to the different balls together like that. 

I get a little frustrated at players who stand over the ball for an eternity before hitting it too, but from my experience of playing with all handicap levels, it's more the high handicappers who do that, and more often than not they hit a bad shot anyway. There's a bloke in the social club who trembles like mad for ages over short putts and misses the majority of them. I don't see any point in taking forever because it only lets doubt creep in. If I feel like I'm taking too long I'll back off and start again, but once I set up I only take a few seconds or so to get comfortable then swing away. If I'm taking multiple practice swings it's when I'm waiting for someone else to hit, when it's my turn I only take one, occasionally two but no more. 

That group sounds ridiculous, I'd be pretty annoyed waiting behind that type of nonsense. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 4

Just on the 150m guys. I played a round must be 20 years ago with an older guy. He would have been late 60s early 70s. We paired up on the first tee as we were playing solo. In his bag was about 4 Woods and about 5 irons. He hit first shot on the first. About a 370m par 4 and 150m down the fairway. Up I came and hammered it about 220 down the middle. He comes up and hits another fairway wood 150m. I hit mine and pitched it on the green and it went over the back. He comes up. Chip and runs it to about 2 metres. I chip mine to about 4. He one putts. I two putt. 

Went on like this most holes. At the end he shot about 5 over for the 18. Me about 15 over despite outdriving him by 60 or 70 metres each time. 

Beware the 150m guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

In some ways it does because they take more shots over the same distance, but it's more the amount of wayward shots they spend time looking for that slows it down. Usually the groups I play in just walk separately to our own ball unless we all hit it in the same direction, I can't say I've seen any all go to the different balls together like that. 

I get a little frustrated at players who stand over the ball for an eternity before hitting it too, but from my experience of playing with all handicap levels, it's more the high handicappers who do that, and more often than not they hit a bad shot anyway. There's a bloke in the social club who trembles like mad for ages over short putts and misses the majority of them. I don't see any point in taking forever because it only lets doubt creep in. If I feel like I'm taking too long I'll back off and start again, but once I set up I only take a few seconds or so to get comfortable then swing away. If I'm taking multiple practice swings it's when I'm waiting for someone else to hit, when it's my turn I only take one, occasionally two but no more. 

That group sounds ridiculous, I'd be pretty annoyed waiting behind that type of nonsense. 

most young bucks like to hit long  and sometimes they are way ward  and there is more ways to skin a cat in golf

when i was out  with my meniscus  , i still went out and traveled in  the cart with my cart partner as caddy some what  i said to him  mate dont try getting the driver out today 
how about  getting a 5 iron  out on a par 4 tee off  so he did  hit it straight down the middle and in position for the next shot in.

he grabbed his 7 iron  bang  on the green and this was a 2 shot hole for him   1 putts it  in for 3   taking away 5 points  next hole was a similar hole I said play it your way this time
he took driver  hit it 250m but in the trees on the right and blocked  next shot he tried to go over trees  and hit trees ball comes back towards and finishes further back then his second shot
plays  out side ways then duffs it out  to the fairway  next shot  over the back of green  leaving him 1 shot to get in the hole  and duffs it walks away with  train line

I said something my coach said to me  just becuase youi have a big stick such as a driver in the bag  you do not need to use it on all holes use your imagination and play to your strengths
and said so what on a par 5 you go 2 5 irons and a wedge and 2 putt  you have made par  and its the same principle on every hole leave your self a 2 putt

Most of these old fellas  who only hit it 150 metres play to that strength  , of course there is the 1 or 2 players cant play to the strength of game

High Handicappers you will find they do move quicker as they have that fear of holding groups up and dont want to.  when i first started golf i was a 36 handicapper 
i took that approach myself  dont hold anyone up always play ready golf and have done so since i started.  

to me it takes all types  of players to make the game what it is a

long as the group have the understanding of dont hold any one up  and if they do call them through

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Absolutely agree with this!

I play in the afternoon groups, and watch the Morning ladies group finish off the last 9, wondering down the fairway, waiting for each player to hit, never ready to hit, you get the idea.

Once they have finished, we play the next 9, 30-40 min's quicker!

Dave  look its great seeing women on the golf course  but they can be the right pains in the backside

Wednesday is ladies days and they are only handful of ladies golfers  the blokes  all have to be all tee'd off 2 hours prior to the women and we can not play until after 2 hours after the wamans last group

reason they are worried the blokes will bop them on the head and keep hitting up them

on Saturdays we give them dedicated time slots  , but they decide to play all over the shop in the mens groups

I tee off midday religiously  and   my group are starting to play the back 9 1st as the front nine just holds us up not that we want to fly around but we just want to keep momentum sitting back   waiting on every shot is not a great thing  thankgoodness for cricket horses and footy

• Like 2

Yeah, there are some holes where I will use an iron off the tee because it leaves me with a full wedge or short iron to the green instead of a partial wedge shot. Some par 4s I can reach the green off the tee. But I generally don't have any difference in control with a driver compared to a 3 or 4 iron, most rounds now I'll hit 50-60% fairways, and most that miss still allow a proper second shot. My short game around the green is improving as well, I'm getting better at chipping close enough to have a relatively easy putt. I used to be in the trees quite a bit off the tee but through the lessons I've managed to narrow the dispersion. Either way I do prefer to be accurate rather than the longest, hence working on my swing in recent months. 

I went for a quick range session today with driver, 6 and 9 irons. Forgot about the ridiculous humidity at the moment though. The first 30-35 balls I hit nice and straight, but then my hands got too sweaty to control the club properly. Should have just waited til Friday 😂

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Dave  look its great seeing women on the golf course  but they can be the right pains in the backside

Wednesday is ladies days and they are only handful of ladies golfers  the blokes  all have to be all tee'd off 2 hours prior to the women and we can not play until after 2 hours after the wamans last group

reason they are worried the blokes will bop them on the head and keep hitting up them

on Saturdays we give them dedicated time slots  , but they decide to play all over the shop in the mens groups

I tee off midday religiously  and   my group are starting to play the back 9 1st as the front nine just holds us up not that we want to fly around but we just want to keep momentum sitting back   waiting on every shot is not a great thing  thankgoodness for cricket horses and footy

Don't get me wrong, Love to see the ladies out playing.

However there is two groups who Play last of the morning group (open tee's, anyone can book), who are slow, like to stop and mark the ball, line it up with the line on the ball, even if it's only a 6" putt.  get's a bit slow.

if it was only a men's Club, I might not be interested. We need mixed gender to help with the stuff that the other don't do.

• Like 2

Played today, Stroke round.

Good warm up but as you know that does not mean anything.

Held it together for the first Nine to be even for my Handicap. Kept it going on the back Nine, despite two Seven's on a Par four and a par five.

I ended up with a 69, Fifth over all Second in my Grade

Great day, now there is Great Beer..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Short and Straight wins

Long and Wide is a waste of time

I'm in the Long wide group😒

When I used to play I am normally in the short and wide group, sometimes very short and most times very wide.  There is not enough space on the score card to record my strokes so whoever is scoring needs a whole pack of score cards and a pocket full of pencils.  I don't keep my own score or scorecard because I would have to lie and cheat to make the numbers fit (or I have to use the ten to the power of formula) so a good guess is good enough for me ha ha..😂

• Haha 3

Gonna try to get to the range again tomorrow, this time with the wedges to try to get a better idea how far I hit each one. I put a few over the green last round thinking it wouldn't go that far. I know I hit the 50° one about 100-105m, and the 58° around 70-75m, in theory the 54° should split the middle at about 85-90. 

• Like 2