Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Here's my golf course OD, I can walk as far as I want & then turn around & walk home for a beer, in your case the clubhouse !! But I don't have to drive home. Don't worry I played golf for years when I was younger, I just lost interest, it is good exercise & you get to be with your mates & others.

20220205_092013.thumb.jpg.e36be4c9eb73d532b612a750829f5ecd.jpg20220205_092113.thumb.jpg.c4b644b295f46bb604fefc9b811d64c9.jpg

Love it down in Glenelg area   mate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Here's my golf course OD, I can walk as far as I want & then turn around & walk home for a beer, in your case the clubhouse !! But I don't have to drive home. Don't worry I played golf for years when I was younger, I just lost interest, it is good exercise & you get to be with your mates & others.

20220205_092013.thumb.jpg.e36be4c9eb73d532b612a750829f5ecd.jpg20220205_092113.thumb.jpg.c4b644b295f46bb604fefc9b811d64c9.jpg

Looks perfect for bunker practice 👍🤣

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Good Luck to all out there who are playing golf today

Medal day for me today  so it is stroke grrrrr

have fun

@Otto Von Blotto  how did you new wedges go you got them dialed in yet

I didn't end up going yesterday,  it absolutely pissed down most of Thursday arvo, so I figured the range would be closed anyway. Yesterday's competition doesn't appear to have gone ahead so was probably a good guess in the end. 

I'm playing in a bit over an hour, but I'll just wing it again. There aren't really any holes on my course where I'm in between wedges to the pin. It happens occasionally but not often. 

Stroke event for me today too, hopefully I can do better than my 102 last time I played in one of these, that was an absolute disgrace. 

• Like 2

well just got back home from golf didnt go back to the club house, i would have collect a few dollars of the guys

no warm up and i didnt even have a beer  at all 

interesting day

43 on the front 
49 on the back

92 gross 
-24 handicap

giving me a 68nett

at this stage i am in equal 1st spot  in the monthly medal
might  get  knocked off in the count back

last 3 holes was 

7,6,4  and depending on the other bloke what he had

My last hole result in accidental hit that gave me the 7

arrgh well  always next week atleast i will be runner up and maybe winner in my grade

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

well just got back home from golf didnt go back to the club house, i would have collect a few dollars of the guys

no warm up and i didnt even have a beer  at all 

interesting day

43 on the front 
49 on the back

92 gross 
-24 handicap

giving me a 68nett

at this stage i am in equal 1st spot  in the monthly medal
might  get  knocked off in the count back

last 3 holes was 

7,6,4  and depending on the other bloke what he had

My last hole result in accidental hit that gave me the 7

arrgh well  always next week atleast i will be runner up and maybe winner in my grade

Well you might even lose a stroke or the of the handicap so not a bad day.

• Like 2

Just finished my round. Shot 90/71 which is an improvement on last time I played off the blacks but I ruined the last hole losing a ball off the tee in an area it should have been able to be found, and carding an 8 despite hitting the reload straight down the fairway 🙄

Nowhere near the top of the leaderboard, some smarty playing off scratch shot 65 off the stick. But I should still achieve my main goal of knocking a bit off the handicap. Won't be a full stroke but it'll be something. At least my swing felt good for the most part, and I putted pretty well today too, except on this hole when I chipped it close enough to get the putt and messed it up 🤣 

1191378065_Screenshot_20220205-175726_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cb7d64df2933afc0c530489fa74ffb4c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

some smarty playing off scratch shot 65 off the stick.

Hey Otto sounds like you had a good day with the normal golfers hiccups & you may win with the handicap reduction, on the subject of the smarty pants you know you are always going to encounter that, I re-call a game years ago in an open tournament, I was on six & looked like winning the day but while I was signing my card  & some dude beat me by 3 strokes & won but I found out he had just turned pro & was really firing, such is life 🏌️‍♂️It is a great game & I spent a lot of my youth on the course but as I said in earlier posts other interests - body building/weightlifting/darts/women took over. Keep that right arm straight unless you are a southpaw. Cheers.

• Like 3

Another great day in the Sunshine and the Park, hanging out with Mates. Stroke round.

Did well again, this run has to stop soon, Played the front 9 two under and the back 9 as well, two under.

Ended third overall all and first in my grade. (Will louse a stroke..)

Felt good most of the day but had a few hiccups here and there.

Could have  been better.

the best thing was that my ankle which had been giving me hell, was good today.

Golf.. who know's what is going to happen.

But the beer is Good now..

• Like 2

as someone who always looks out for new golf courses to play whenever the boss and I go away, I'm surprised by some of the stroke counts and hole distances mentioned here. most of the courses I play have holes that max out at about 10 metres. There are only the occasional longer ones when theres a windmill or other hazard in the middle of the hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Otto sounds like you had a good day with the normal golfers hiccups & you may win with the handicap reduction, on the subject of the smarty pants you know you are always going to encounter that, I re-call a game years ago in an open tournament, I was on six & looked like winning the day but while I was signing my card  & some dude beat me by 3 strokes & won but I found out he had just turned pro & was really firing, such is life 🏌️‍♂️It is a great game & I spent a lot of my youth on the course but as I said in earlier posts other interests - body building/weightlifting/darts/women took over. Keep that right arm straight unless you are a southpaw. Cheers.

Yeah nah he tied for the win with someone else who shot a nett 65 as well, I was only being facetious calling him a smarty, he wasn't in my group anyway lol. I ended up T28 out of 186 in the field so not terrible. 

I lost 0.8 off my handicap to drop it to 17, which is the lowest it's been since it levelled out. When I first got it it was about 12 because my third round was quite low, but it wasn't really an accurate representation and it gradually increased over a few months as I expected it would. 8 shots left to get to my goal figure by the end of this year. It's dropped 3.4 since Jan 1, and I'll be off 15 when I play in next Sunday's comp, being off the white tees. 

I'm playing again tomorrow morning at a different course, this time in my social club. Hopefully I'll go well for the hit today. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah nah he tied for the win with someone else who shot a nett 65 as well, I was only being facetious calling him a smarty, he wasn't in my group anyway lol. I ended up T28 out of 186 in the field so not terrible. 

I lost 0.8 off my handicap to drop it to 17, which is the lowest it's been since it levelled out. When I first got it it was about 12 because my third round was quite low, but it wasn't really an accurate representation and it gradually increased over a few months as I expected it would. 8 shots left to get to my goal figure by the end of this year. It's dropped 3.4 since Jan 1, and I'll be off 15 when I play in next Sunday's comp, being off the white tees. 

I'm playing again tomorrow morning at a different course, this time in my social club. Hopefully I'll go well for the hit today. 

15 is no bad thing it means on an average day you are going to be in the mix but on a good day you could pull a couple of screamers out & separate the herd a little to nudge ahead, you know that anyway.

All the best anyway OVB, sounds like you are enjoying the game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

15 is no bad thing it means on an average day you are going to be in the mix but on a good day you could pull a couple of screamers out & separate the herd a little to nudge ahead, you know that anyway.

All the best anyway OVB, sounds like you are enjoying the game.

Yeah, I'm happy for it to go lower because that means I'm playing better which equals more enjoyment. Might make it more difficult to win competitions but I get more enjoyment from hitting good shots. My longer term goal is to get to scratch, however that will probably take a few years. My short game needs improvement, although with new wedges I'm still getting used to.... even with short chips I find it goes longer than my old ones did, once I dial that in I should have more up and downs, which will lower my scores too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, I'm happy for it to go lower because that means I'm playing better which equals more enjoyment. Might make it more difficult to win competitions but I get more enjoyment from hitting good shots. My longer term goal is to get to scratch, however that will probably take a few years. My short game needs improvement, although with new wedges I'm still getting used to.... even with short chips I find it goes longer than my old ones did, once I dial that in I should have more up and downs, which will lower my scores too. 

I found that the lower your handicap was you ended up playing with, dare I say a better class of player, however that was earnt but even in my career in semi-pro darts I learnt that there is always going to be someone better than you - or at the least gunning for you. No matter what you do you are you are in control of your own destiny & a belief in yourself coupled with sheer will & patience you can conquer the world, nothing is impossible. But sometimes some smartarse beats you. 😬

Work on your game & go out there & win, it's easy. 🤔

• Like 1

It's all random at my club, I could be playing with a scratch player or someone off 30, or both in the same group. But I don't mind playing with better players, because I try to keep up with them and it usually results in me playing better as well. 

But I don't really care about winning competitions as much as I do about beating myself. My main goal each round is to simply shoot my handicap or better it, because if I do that more often than not, it'll come down as will my scores. Usually around 40 points wins the comps at my club, and every now and then I do shoot that, but the majority are closer to 36. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's all random at my club, I could be playing with a scratch player or someone off 30, or both in the same group. But I don't mind playing with better players, because I try to keep up with them and it usually results in me playing better as well. 

But I don't really care about winning competitions as much as I do about beating myself. My main goal each round is to simply shoot my handicap or better it, because if I do that more often than not, it'll come down as will my scores. Usually around 40 points wins the comps at my club, and every now and then I do shoot that, but the majority are closer to 36. 

Yep & also the bottom line is you need to be enjoying it !!  Cheers.

• Like 2

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yep & also the bottom line is you need to be enjoying it !!  Cheers.

Indeed, and for the most part I do. Even more so since I started lessons and have one simple swing thought every time, as well as a clear idea what I'm training myself to do when I go to the range. I have noticed a reduction in shot dispersion as it has started to feel more natural, which is good. It's also helped me learn about my swing itself and what its faults are when I do spray one, I'm at a stage now where I can feel when I've cut across it or led with my hands which are my two main faults, although they can be used deliberately if needed. I can draw it as well just by making a simple swing adjustment, although I need to practice that more. I have more confidence over each shot now, which is important. 

It's been great having a coach who keeps it simple, certainly makes it a lot easier to understand and do/practice what he's teaching. He reckons my ball striking is that of a 3 or 4 marker, so going forward it's just about tightening up the dispersion, and improving the short game. Putting is probably the one thing I generally don't have much trouble with. I bought myself a Scotty Cameron for Xmas, and now I'm getting more used to it it's going really well. It's the classic blade type which I've always used (never been a fan of mallet types), just figured my old one was getting a bit tired. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Indeed, and for the most part I do. Even more so since I started lessons and have one simple swing thought every time, as well as a clear idea what I'm training myself to do when I go to the range. I have noticed a reduction in shot dispersion as it has started to feel more natural, which is good. It's also helped me learn about my swing itself and what its faults are when I do spray one, I'm at a stage now where I can feel when I've cut across it or led with my hands which are my two main faults, although they can be used deliberately if needed. I can draw it as well just by making a simple swing adjustment, although I need to practice that more. I have more confidence over each shot now, which is important. 

It's been great having a coach who keeps it simple, certainly makes it a lot easier to understand and do/practice what he's teaching. He reckons my ball striking is that of a 3 or 4 marker, so going forward it's just about tightening up the dispersion, and improving the short game. Putting is probably the one thing I generally don't have much trouble with. I bought myself a Scotty Cameron for Xmas, and now I'm getting more used to it it's going really well. It's the classic blade type which I've always used (never been a fan of mallet types), just figured my old one was getting a bit tired. 

Otto it sounds like you have got this in the bag, a coach that steers you in the right direction makes a mega difference to anyone wanting to improve their game, it also gives you the added confidence to strive for continuous success, keep it up, all the best.

• Like 2

well  finally got the results from my club as didnt hang back for as beer or presentation

didn't win the medal  as i lost on a count back  to guy off 6.1  

but did win my grade   

in ways i am dissapointed as it was the final hole that cost me  due to accidental hit which would have given me a 67 net but 68 net cant whinge

and was good to see a A grader  win the medal   as really in hindsight medal day is mostly taken by us highhandicappers

• Like 3

Accidental hits on the green don't count anymore, but I think they still do anywhere else on the course. 

I didn't go too bad today, the Gailes course is par 73 and quite long. I managed a 90/73. Too many shots leaked right and missed greens etc. My social club handicap is different to the GA one, in that it's just the same regardless of the course. If I was playing off my GA my daily handicap would have been 15 today. 

I'm still not too disappointed with that, while I could have done better with some holes, it's still an improvement on that course. Plus it's always nice to play the hardest hole well 👍

Now just to shoot +15 or better next Sunday in my club competition to continue the cap drop...

388029286_Screenshot_20220206-110816_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.627f4368e1f7b6e57857b3665d3c22a4.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Accidental hits on the green don't count anymore, but I think they still do anywhere else on the course. 

I didn't go too bad today, the Gailes course is par 73 and quite long. I managed a 90/73. Too many shots leaked right and missed greens etc. My social club handicap is different to the GA one, in that it's just the same regardless of the course. If I was playing off my GA my daily handicap would have been 15 today. 

I'm still not too disappointed with that, while I could have done better with some holes, it's still an improvement on that course. Plus it's always nice to play the hardest hole well 👍

Now just to shoot +15 or better next Sunday in my club competition to continue the cap drop...

388029286_Screenshot_20220206-110816_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.627f4368e1f7b6e57857b3665d3c22a4.jpg

Not bad.. hole 7 is the type of hole that irks me. Hit the green in regulation then 3 putt for a bogey.

• Like 1