Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You will do it, I agree practice does help but I remember in my Darting career I found just before an Open or Tournament a couple of days off seemed to sort out a few things, in your mind anyway but at Friday night/Weekend knockouts you just go for it, your body becomes a machine & you can't lose, until you realise there is always going to be someone better come along & nick the money.

Go for it OVB.

Yeah, everyone has bad days. At least my bad days are in the 90s now and not raising the bat, so I have improved overall. I just find with golf if I go too long without hitting balls I get a bit rusty, so I like to get a range session in 2-3 days out from the weekend, or on the Friday if I have to, just a bucket of 50 balls or so. Helps keep the muscle memory, at least at the moment while I'm still rebuilding my swing. 

Eventually I'll get to a point where my bad days are in the 80s, but it's not a quick process. It's an interesting one though. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, everyone has bad days. At least my bad days are in the 90s now and not raising the bat, so I have improved overall. I just find with golf if I go too long without hitting balls I get a bit rusty, so I like to get a range session in 2-3 days out from the weekend, or on the Friday if I have to, just a bucket of 50 balls or so. Helps keep the muscle memory, at least at the moment while I'm still rebuilding my swing. 

Eventually I'll get to a point where my bad days are in the 80s, but it's not a quick process. It's an interesting one though. 

Think like a Pro, for them 70 is  bad day so is 65 so you are not doing too bad, at the end of the day it is supposed to be fun but it's more fun holding the trophy 🏆

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Kelsey, I had a day like that yesterday as well.  Have been playing pretty well and consistently for the past few weeks and then yesterday it looked like I had never swung a golf club in my life!

Still, there's always next week. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Think like a Pro, for them 70 is  bad day so is 65 so you are not doing too bad, at the end of the day it is supposed to be fun but it's more fun holding the trophy 🏆

Yeah I'm not sure if I'll get to a point where 70 is a bad day 😂 but whenever I go out in these competitions I just try to shoot my handicap, if I have a really on day then I'll do better, but my overall goal is to bring the cap down so equalling it as much as possible will do that, and bring my gross scores down in the process. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I'm not sure if I'll get to a point where 70 is a bad day 😂 but whenever I go out in these competitions I just try to shoot my handicap, if I have a really on day then I'll do better, but my overall goal is to bring the cap down so equalling it as much as possible will do that, and bring my gross scores down in the process. 

Yes sometimes you watch the Masters & a Birdie every hole is not necessarily going to win - a good score but these days but  20+ under is becoming a reality. 

I still watch the big ones when they come around on the telly but there are so many unknowns bobbing up it is hard to keep track.

Good Luck anyway Otto you definitely have the right attitude.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes sometimes you watch the Masters & a Birdie every hole is not necessarily going to win - a good score but these days but  20+ under is becoming a reality. 

I still watch the big ones when they come around on the telly but there are so many unknowns bobbing up it is hard to keep track.

Good Luck anyway Otto you definitely have the right attitude.

Cheers

Phil

That's why I like watching the Euro tour, they seem to have more challenging courses on that tour, it's more interesting to watch than just bang it down the fairway, wedge on and birdie over and over again. It's a lot different to what we do every weekend, I'm often hitting long/mid irons into par 4s, especially if it's back into the wind. Not many par 5s I can reach in 2 although I have done it occasionally. Even managed an eagle on one of them. Bit more variety of shots which is a good thing, I'm pretty confident with any iron these days, I used to hate hitting the longer ones. 

But I understand that changing my swing,  learning different movements and ingraining them will take time. I still have a long way to go, but I'm seeing improvement overall which keeps me motivated to stick at it. 

• Like 3

Teams event  which was stableford multiplier

me and my partner got of to a flier for the 1st 9   as a team 44 points  

this game can dam hurt but its fun

back 9  well  it was like 4x0,  3x0,3x0, 2x0, 4x0  ,1x1  etc only manged 16 on our back

my partner   in 4 consecutive shot 4 lost balls 

finish with 60 points  that life

Today only 9 holes with my social group nothing serious
but drove pretty good all day and putted great 2nd or 3rd shots let me down.

had 1 guy say to me i'll out drive you on this hole,  he took driver decent hit 
i took 3 wood and he called me a girl

i said cant be a girl if i out drove ya by  20 meters

ok i'll get the 1st beer he said

was a fun weekend of golf that wasnt to serious

now  i am not drinking much beer this week as to much was drunk  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GregT5 said:

What's this "too much drunk" you speak about?? 🤔

about $300 of glorious  craft beer at my local haunt  friday and Saturday night
and beer after golf with a bbq= very alcohol filled weekend   

i kinda need to settle down as it aint doing the bank balance any good lol

• Haha 2

On 2/10/2022 at 7:21 PM, DavidM said:

Two day comp on the weekend followed by Vets on Monday, going to be a tough few days.

Beer will fix it..

Finished my three day's of Golf.. tired now.

Saturday was not the best but did win the Long Drive, on the last hole of the day. Played ok with some good shots but missed others, overall I think it was my putting that let me down the most, missed so many by a few inches. Ended with a net 78.

Sunday was better, Putted better, hit good and bad shots, ended up with a net 70. Not good enough for the overall for two days  but not far off.

Monday, McCracken golf club, borrowed a mates Cart (could not have walked), I don't have trailer for the Trike yet. Showed up at my hole, the second (shotgun start) as the others in the group were hitting off, so no warm up, step out of the cart and Hit. Par 3, played up a club because I knew I wasn't ready yet. Shocked myself and put in on, about ten feet past. Played well from then on, with the odd hiccup. Long Drive hole was the 10, Smashed a drive way down there, picked up the marker and took it down about 80m and at least 50m past A grade. Ended with 17 and 19 after a silly mistake on my last hole.... Good enough to be Second in my grade.

A good three days

Cheers 🍻

• Like 3

Regular Wednesday comp, light rain most of the morning, stayed home till 15min to hit off.

No warm up, I can't warm up in the rain, started badly and slowly got in to a grove.

Turned the corner with 15, thanks to two pars late. Came home with 21 for another good day out.

Par 4 last hole, put my second shot to 10 feet, grazed the lip to finish 9 inches behind the hole.

Would have been nice to finish with a Bird.. but not this time.

Cheers 🍻

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Regular Wednesday comp, light rain most of the morning, stayed home till 15min to hit off.

No warm up, I can't warm up in the rain, started badly and slowly got in to a grove.

Turned the corner with 15, thanks to two pars late. Came home with 21 for another good day out.

Par 4 last hole, put my second shot to 10 feet, grazed the lip to finish 9 inches behind the hole.

Would have been nice to finish with a Bird.. but not this time.

Cheers 🍻

i have 3 days of through the week  and no comps on my day off unless i wear a dress

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I went to the course in my break today, unfortunately not playing in the comp but just a quick range session with my 5 iron, driver and 50° wedge. Didn't get to hit the driver because one of the pro shop staff decided it was a great time to go collect balls from the range. Still, had a good hitout and just played around with how far I stood from the ball. I think the topped iron shots I kept hitting on Sunday may have been caused by standing too far from it, at least on some occasions. Find some interesting balls in those range buckets at times, hit a couple today that were pretty old, the dimple pattern was the old spaced in rows around the ball like this, and the distance wasn't much different to the modern ones

20220216_194057.thumb.jpg.94e277df3dbf92827c438f8b80553c6f.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I went to the course in my break today, unfortunately not playing in the comp but just a quick range session with my 5 iron, driver and 50° wedge. Didn't get to hit the driver because one of the pro shop staff decided it was a great time to go collect balls from the range. Still, had a good hitout and just played around with how far I stood from the ball. I think the topped iron shots I kept hitting on Sunday may have been caused by standing too far from it, at least on some occasions. Find some interesting balls in those range buckets at times, hit a couple today that were pretty old, the dimple pattern was the old spaced in rows around the ball like this

20220216_194057.thumb.jpg.94e277df3dbf92827c438f8b80553c6f.jpg

shouldnt matter on what the range balls are 

its never should be  can i hit out of the driving range but more accuracy  then anything

but havent seen a ball like that for yonks though.

as long you was hitting accurate shots and what coach has taught you   its gotta be good

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

shouldnt matter on what the range balls are 

its never should be  can i hit out of the driving range but more accuracy  then anything

but havent seen a ball like that for yonks though.

as long you was hitting accurate shots and what coach has taught you   its gotta be good

Some of them feel pretty awful off the club face though, the ones at the course are just old ones players have lost or hit into water or whatever.

But nah I wasn't worried about hitting it out of the range or whatever, just the guy was in range of my driver distance so I couldn't have a go with it. Most of the shots were accurate and reasonable distance, which is an indication of how well struck the shot is so I do take notice of it. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 9:08 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Some of them feel pretty awful off the club face though, the ones at the course are just old ones players have lost or hit into water or whatever.

But nah I wasn't worried about hitting it out of the range or whatever, just the guy was in range of my driver distance so I couldn't have a go with it. Most of the shots were accurate and reasonable distance, which is an indication of how well struck the shot is so I do take notice of it. 

yeah i know, i remember when i used to go to the driving range   hitting balls some   had no life in them where others  surprised me

but often or not alot was duds

The driving range we have   is  use your own and you pick up your own balls   , but we cant use driver at all otherwise we will wake the greenkeeper up and he may have to do some work

• Like 2

You can do that at ours too, I just can't be arsed wandering around trying to find them all afterwards. I will use my own if I'm doing pitching or short game practice though. Certain parts of the range are long enough to hit my driver, other parts it'll end up in the bush never to be seen again. Also depends where they have the teeing area set up. Anyway hopefully yesterday's practice helps for the weekend. 

• Like 2

What brand are those,  Kelsey?

I've been using Callaway Chrome Soft and Srixon Q Stars for a while now and I find they feel good off the stick.

I won a Titleist AVX a while ago and didn't mind that either.  The good ones are starting to get expensive these days. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GregT5 said:

What brand are those,  Kelsey?

I've been using Callaway Chrome Soft and Srixon Q Stars for a while now and I find they feel good off the stick.

I won a Titleist AVX a while ago and didn't mind that either.  The good ones are starting to get expensive these days. 

TaylorMade TP5, these are the pix version. I was using TP5x but I decided to try the slightly softer one to compare, and I think I'll stick with it. Just feels a bit better with the irons/wedges and the putter as well. Mind you there isn't a lot of difference between them.

They are, but since I don't lose them anywhere near as often anymore I'm happy to buy them, plus I can get them in club NTPs as well 👍

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2