Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

Apart from an out of bounds pickup on 6 I pretty much did play to my handicap today with 34 points from 17 holes. Should have hit a provisional but oh well. The pictured hole was our last today, but it's also one I'm always in the right trees and even though I did hit a fade, it was nice to be in the middle of the fairway for once, and take advantage of it. Didn't miss the birdie putt by much either. It shows it off the green but it was about a metre on the front. Happy enough with the score but didn't feel like I ever really got my swing going well other than all those drives that hit the fairway. 

1227906229_Screenshot_20220219-165248_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5622826d2d350beb4bd18d53806d71a1.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Apart from an out of bounds pickup on 6 I pretty much did play to my handicap today with 34 points from 17 holes. Should have hit a provisional but oh well. The pictured hole was our last today, but it's also one I'm always in the right trees and even though I did hit a fade, it was nice to be in the middle of the fairway for once, and take advantage of it. Didn't miss the birdie putt by much either. It shows it off the green but it was about a metre on the front. Happy enough with the score but didn't feel like I ever really got my swing going well other than all those drives that hit the fairway. 

Still fairly respectable OVB, it can only get better. 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

interesting day every golfers dream game par 

started on the back nine  so we would have a clear run instead of stop wait 5 minutes on every shot.

we flew around  and had some great holes  

10th (our 1st hole)  birdied   great feeling and was  20 metre putt to sink the bird

par a few holes  after that with 1 wipe 

we get to back  nine which is the 1st 9  and green fee players pro warned us and went told them hold ya horses these guys are playing through  , the green fee players arced up but had no choice  

still a reasonable round  birdied the 4th missed the magpie prize by 10 cms   

finished the day +2   and top score was of the day was +4   so wasnt to far of 

great day off golf

• Like 5

2 person ambrose today. Partner plays off 18 so we weren't expecting a rush of birdies. Combined pretty well, only a couple of holes where we both stuffed up. Finished 1 over, but had a good day out after leaving the pub $50 up on the punting.

Also picked up a $15 voucher for the pub for NTP.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I'm ok with the score, just need to tidy up some things. Cap dropped to 16.7, so keeping that trajectory going in the right direction. 

The way I see it, or at least I used to, 12 over Par is OK but we all know to win big it has to be closer to the mark, having said that I found years ago even a stoke closer to the intended target or better score every other week or so was worth noting as you will always try to better it. The frustrating part about golf is you need to be on your game & bring your confidence with you every week otherwise you will not climb the magic ladder.

When my Dart career was at it's peak I was enjoying the benefits of being single & owned a couple of Dart Shops & used to travel all over OZ chasing tournaments, knock-outs, opens etc & thought I was invincible but soon learnt one minor slip up & you don't get the trophy, or the money !!  A belief in one's ability, the drive needed to motivate you for improvement sometimes is not enough to win but as long as you enjoy what you are doing you will always kick the odd ar...... 

Cheers & good luck.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The way I see it, or at least I used to, 12 over Par is OK but we all know to win big it has to be closer to the mark, having said that I found years ago even a stoke closer to the intended target or better score every other week or so was worth noting as you will always try to better it. The frustrating part about golf is you need to be on your game & bring your confidence with you every week otherwise you will not climb the magic ladder.

When my Dart career was at it's peak I was enjoying the benefits of being single & owned a couple of Dart Shops & used to travel all over OZ chasing tournaments, knock-outs, opens etc & thought I was invincible but soon learnt one minor slip up & you don't get the trophy, or the money !!  A belief in one's ability, the drive needed to motivate you for improvement sometimes is not enough to win but as long as you enjoy what you are doing you will always kick the odd ar...... 

Cheers & good luck.

If I had have shot 12 over I would have had 41 points today and probably won the day, and lost a bit more than 0.3 off my GA (the 83 shown on the card is from 17 holes), thing is I am capable of it, just at this point it's a really good day. In time it'll be my average as I improve and 5 over or whatever will be a really good day. But any time I go out I just try to shoot whatever my handicap is over par as a base line, obviously I want to do better but it generally drops if I shoot it, or as I did today a couple over it. If I can match it most rounds then the scores needed to do that will drop in line with that. 

Tomorrow is a social club game which won't affect my GA, but I will be off 17 there too. I haven't played the course for years so it'll be new to me really. If I can shoot somewhere in the 80s it'll be a good day. 

• Like 3

Social club game at Redland bay up here. Stinking effing rain through a lot of the round, but managed a 90/73. Helped that I drove it well, hitting 10/14 fairways, just the two GIR but if there was a stat for fringe in regulation it would have been around 11 or 12. The wedge game close to the green was working well today setting up numerous 1-2 foot putts for par. Overall pretty happy with it considering the conditions but I need to straighten up my irons. 

1170579057_Screenshot_20220220-125500_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.03f33b85ca0db4a21ca9386f5a813d87.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks mate. I have been working on my driver trying to get the swing more in to out, I'm starting to get the hang of it better and hit it straighter. Just need to get back to it with my irons. I'm cutting across it too much with them at the moment, it's alright when I want that but not on every shot. I'll get there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Thanks mate. I have been working on my driver trying to get the swing more in to out, I'm starting to get the hang of it better and hit it straighter. Just need to get back to it with my irons. I'm cutting across it too much with them at the moment, it's alright when I want that but not on every shot. I'll get there.

i wish i could get the in to out with my driver , mind you i have a gentle fade and only missed 2 fairways .   my irons   have gone from fading to drawing   

occasionly though with my long irons i sometimes push it out to the right .    alot of time from 6iron to 4 iron i just  try to hit  straight with a gentle fade as its more controlable for me

mind you  my 4 iron only comes out  if behind a tree  and i need to play a low  draw.  its rather good to see when it works   the old coot that plays in my group his eyeballs pop out and says what the heck you was aiming for the dam and then tracks right to fairway impossible he says.  i tell him it has to be possible theres my ball on fairway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey OD why don't you shoot up to QLD & challenge OVB to a stroke round, I am sure Coopers would sponsor it & arrange live telecast then we could all see who is the man.

Just an idea.

sounds good mate  , but  the only thing i would win  is the naga

i love my comp golf as much as ovb  but i aint that serious

its one thing i have learned mate  never take on the player take yourself on  in golf and play the course

• Like 3

I only hit one draw with an iron today, on the 18th trying to reach a par 5 in two with a 3 iron. Got a lucky break when it hit a gum tree and came back to a spot I could chip out to the front of the green. It could have ended up in a water hazard right of the tree or miss the tree and end up lost in the small garden (jungle) behind, but for once the luck was on my side. 

I did hit some straight ones but they were pulled left due to the cutting across it. I can at least practice at home even without a ball just to try to learn the in to out move like I'm doing with the driver. It's a confidence thing too, it feels like I'll hit it right but if I fold my left arm early enough the club catches up and hits it square. The more I do it and see it fly straight the more I feel confident doing it. 

I did play a match play today as well, essentially off the stick as our handicaps were only 2 apart, got to 5 holes up after 6 until those stupid quad bogeys after which I dropped to 2 up, but came back to win 6 up with 4 to play. I do enjoy those, in a way it keeps me switched on. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 4

On 2/20/2022 at 7:02 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Something I'm working on ("I'm not a coach) is one swing thing thought.

As I swing, slow back, then it's "tilt".

Tilt first, inside out is much easier then

But Golf get's in the way.. (the Mind) Smash It...

Don't work..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Something I'm working on ("I'm not a coach) is one swing thing thought.

As I swing, slow back, then it's "tilt".

Tilt first, inside out is much easier then

But Golf get's in the way.. (the Mind) Smash It...

Don't work..

I'm working on the getting that movement feeling natural, then I'll start working on adding more speed to the downswing. A drill I use to practice anywhere (without a club) pretty much mimics that, I just feel like I'm underarming a ball while the left arm folds up to allow the right to catch up. That fold is the other main thing I'm working on. Getting it nice and compact will help increase clubhead speed and distance without feeling like I'm trying to hit the cover off it. So all those things are a work in progress at the end of which I should have a reliable and repeatable swing. 

It may change next lesson but at the moment my coach has me working with just leaving my weight on my lead foot the whole time so I'm stable and balanced through the entire swing rather than tilting or swaying back and forth. Sometimes I inadvertently move weight to the trail foot and every time I hit bad slices. 

My main swing thought is the fold, because when I get it wrong the ball goes right. Unfortunately if I cut across it and get the fold right, I pull it straight left. Sometimes I hit heel cuts when both go wrong. If I get the little in to out move and the fold right, it goes more or less straight, so that's what I'm working on becoming muscle memory. Once I get better at it I can hit fades or draws as needed by changing the timing of the fold. It's a slow process but it's getting there, and it helps that I can feel the difference between a good and bad swing now. 

• Like 2

Yeah I'm enjoying it as well. It gets frustrating sometimes when I can't get myself to do it properly, but it's been really interesting learning about it all. What I'm being taught might not work for everyone, it's just what my coach thinks will work for me, and when I do it properly it does. It's a matter of doing it properly more consistently now. The byproduct is also learning what it feels like when I make a mistake and knowing how to correct it the next time. Before I'd hit some right, some left, some straight, and never know why or what I was doing to cause it.  

• Like 2

Wednesday Comp Par:

Lost my ball on my first drive, slight miss to the right, missed the trees, we all knew roughly where it was going to be (an open area next to the 4th tee block). Never found it, no second chances in Par, 1 down..

Played steady for the rest of the day, few down, few up to reach the temp hole, (two left to play), two down.

80m par three, hit the green, rolled out a bit more than I wanted, Should be an easy two putt. But No three putt for an even!

18th, par 4 on the green for two just miss the first putt, make the 4" coming back for par, Finish -1 (did I mention I hate Par).

Cracked five drives over 200m right down the middle, that made me feel good.

Golf

• Like 2

I've never played a par comp, although I did lose my first drive a few weeks ago, similar sort of thing just went right and should have been found but no. Being a stroke comp I had to walk  all the way back to the tee and hit another one, which of course went straight down the middle 🙄😂 fortunately didn't have too many issues after that and finished 4th, which I was pretty happy with being off the black markers and not my home course

• Like 2

I'm with you David, I  hate Par as well.  I find it a bit "sudden death" as a missed putt can be a loss of the hole, whereas with Stableford you at least get a point. 

Oddly enough we have a trophy at our club awarded to the player with the best 3 scores from 5 par comps during the year.  I have won that trophy 3 times!

Still hate Par, and I think we have another one this week. 

• Like 2