Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

last wednesday someone thought it  would be funny and make us play of the kids tee's which have been rated.   had to play of a Handicap of 3   and only pulled out the driver on 4 holes  , most par 4's and 1 par 5 was able to reach in 1 shot lol.   the hardest hole on the course i eagled lol  i wouldnr even come close of our white tee's    alot of par 4's was 7 iron or less in    except our longer par 4's mainly 13,and 14   where it was always going to be 2 shots in    .

i must say it was fun day  just the same and made you rethink your game.   however having said that our course has suffered alot of water damage due to the rain , but it held up surprisingly well,  i was rather surprised they allowed carts on, if i was running the show i wouldnt have allowed,  as there was alot of water still about under foot .  

at the end of the day i had 31 points playing of a handicap of 3   the only time i will ever see single figures   

Sounds like fun (cheating actually 🤣) did you have to where your old grey mélange school shorts & cap OD? 

• Haha 1

Played 9 at Bundoora again today. I hit at least five nice drives off the tee, and two others at least went straight and ended up on the fairway. I had three putts for par, and two of them lipped the cup ( the other didn't miss by much either). Despite all that I finished 29 over, after 9!

Stupid game. I hope I can get a couple of rounds in next week, too.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds like fun (cheating actually 🤣) did you have to where your old grey mélange school shorts & cap OD? 

of course   and had a sock and belt inspection as well by the  club Captain  😉🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

Played 9 at Bundoora again today. I hit at least five nice drives off the tee, and two others at least went straight and ended up on the fairway. I had three putts for par, and two of them lipped the cup ( the other didn't miss by much either). Despite all that I finished 29 over, after 9!

Stupid game. I hope I can get a couple of rounds in next week, too.

Practise the short game, that's where you'll save the most shots. 

I had an absolute mare today, must be something about that course but I don't often play well there for some reason. Started well enough with a good drive and two more to hit the green in reg, then 3 putted it 🤦🏻‍♂️over the next few holes I don't think I hit one decent shot, however there was some really annoying light rain that was making everything slippery, then that buggered off and I had four holes in a row where I actually played golf, then more of the same nonsense over the rest of it. In the end I avoided raising the bat this time but wasn't far off with 94 for 87 nett 🤮

One positive was I did hit straight drives once the grips weren't slipping, unfortunately the radar wasn't always on target. Pretty forgettable dross really. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ozdevil said:

last wednesday someone thought it  would be funny and make us play of the kids tee's which have been rated.   had to play of a Handicap of 3   and only pulled out the driver on 4 holes  , most par 4's and 1 par 5 was able to reach in 1 shot lol.   the hardest hole on the course i eagled lol  i wouldnr even come close of our white tee's    alot of par 4's was 7 iron or less in    except our longer par 4's mainly 13,and 14   where it was always going to be 2 shots in    .

i must say it was fun day  just the same and made you rethink your game.   however having said that our course has suffered alot of water damage due to the rain , but it held up surprisingly well,  i was rather surprised they allowed carts on, if i was running the show i wouldnt have allowed,  as there was alot of water still about under foot .  

at the end of the day i had 31 points playing of a handicap of 3   the only time i will ever see single figures   

What was the rating? 

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What was the rating? 

slope rating was 94   scratch rating  58

would have been off 18 off the white tees 

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 2

Well after yesterday's disaster I came back reasonably well today. Not that happy with the back 9 but a few of those bogeys were from missing easy putts that I was holing with my eyes closed on the front. Still good enough to sneak the GA down to 7.8 so maintaining it below 8 for now. Back again tomorrow, this time playing with the pro again so looking forward to that. 

Screenshot_20240113_183455_OxleyGolfclub.thumb.jpg.9b3c0dffd75cd56279947bed9564ad4f.jpg

• Like 4

Bugger. Yeah it wasn't terrible but some of those bogeys on the back 9 were pretty soft. 

Today was better, was able to save par from somewhat out of position on some of the holes where I didn't hit the green in regulation. The bogeys on 14 and 17 were pretty silly, one a 3 putt and the other I missed a par putt from 2 feet after a really good downhill chip that could have easily gone off the green on the other side 🤦🏻‍♂️ But overall a good day, got second place and a NTP on 5, and dropped a little more to 7.6.

Screenshot_20240114_162322_OxleyGolfclub.thumb.jpg.bf3bb45613fe62df520985e759eed91d.jpg

• Like 4

Toowoomba golf club was a really fun day yesterday. The other 3 in the group were all good to play with and the course itself was quite nice. In the end I shot 80/73 (although it got entered into golf link as 81 for some reason), which I was pretty happy with at a course I've never played. Unfortunately I was dropping off a really good round so the GA went out to 8.3.

It'll probably be my only "day trip" course for now although I am considering going to Maroochy River on the last week of my holidays. I was keen to play Toowoomba as it's one of only a few courses up here with bentgrass greens. Putting on them was fairly similar although you really notice the lack of grain to help read putts. I did have fun with wedges though, got a few of them to stop dead on short chips or spin back on the longer shots. On the 7th (pictured) I hit a gap wedge that landed pin high and zipped back about 7 or 8 metres. I think I probably got the NTP on the third with a 6 iron to 2m from 165. Made the putt too. Will definitely go back to play again some time through the year.

20240117_122720.thumb.jpg.23576b395be974a5f36208a98da2505f.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Toowoomba golf club was a really fun day yesterday. The other 3 in the group were all good to play with and the course itself was quite nice. In the end I shot 80/73 (although it got entered into golf link as 81 for some reason), which I was pretty happy with at a course I've never played. Unfortunately I was dropping off a really good round so the GA went out to 8.3.

It'll probably be my only "day trip" course for now although I am considering going to Maroochy River on the last week of my holidays. I was keen to play Toowoomba as it's one of only a few courses up here with bentgrass greens. Putting on them was fairly similar although you really notice the lack of grain to help read putts. I did have fun with wedges though, got a few of them to stop dead on short chips or spin back on the longer shots. On the 7th (pictured) I hit a gap wedge that landed pin high and zipped back about 7 or 8 metres. I think I probably got the NTP on the third with a 6 iron to 2m from 165. Made the putt too. Will definitely go back to play again some time through the year.

20240117_122720.thumb.jpg.23576b395be974a5f36208a98da2505f.jpg

Looks like a nice course, lovely & green, with all of those trees you would need to keep them straight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks like a nice course, lovely & green, with all of those trees you would need to keep them straight.

It was yeah. It's not as narrow as the photo might look, although there are a few holes with ob relatively close. That one was only 115m so just a wedge. The trees generally are more spaced apart than what they are at my home track so there's usually an obvious way out if you do go off line. 

There was another par 3 on the back 9 that looked like an English garden. Tee area lined with flower gardens and a row of conifer trees all down the left side. It is a nice looking course but also plays well. A good challenge without being ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Friday was pretty much rubbish. 28 points. The course is saturated from the ridiculous amount of rain and of course when the sun comes out it's just humid as all hell. I have bought a couple of products to help with gripping the clubs in these conditions, or in rain. Liquid chalk, and Griptinite. I'll try each in separate rounds on Wednesday and Friday to see which I prefer or if they're both about the same. 

Yesterday was a bit better with 34 points despite some rain and the humidity. I tried to swing a bit easier which is not that easy 🤣 but it did help control the clubs better, except the driver as I didn't have my usual confidence to roll the right hand over with the slippery conditions. It did improve on the back 9 though after the rain stopped and the wind finally appeared. 

Today I went one better with 35 points. Bit of a Jordan Spieth rollercoaster card on the front 9. There was enough breeze around to keep the sweat away from my hands for the majority of shots, and I had one of my best days with the driver, most of them going straight with just a couple of wides. The main problem I'm having is with chipping, it doesn't happen on every one but because the ground is so soft I'm either flubbing them or knifing them at times. Frustrating. There's meant to be no rain this week so hopefully it dries up a bit. 

Screenshot_20240121_182747_OxleyGolfclub.thumb.jpg.64b285ff5d56908af183a1de57ace2de.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So the chalk and Griptinite are pretty equal in their effectiveness, which has been pretty bloody good. I think the chalk is better value though coming in a bigger container and probably lasting a little longer before it needs to be reapplied. The amount used is pretty much the same. 

In any case, I've been out a few times and not really done a whole lot. Best ball on Saturday. Practice round Monday of 81, probably should have been better after playing the first 5 holes in -1. However, it was more about trying to work on my irons in a game situation, and I was fairly happy with how that went. 

Today was a comp and a pretty good result despite the crappy start. I hit my irons better again, after getting my grip back to what it was when I was hitting them pretty well consistently. Also hitting down on the ball like I should be instead of the silly scooping it up nonsense I'd inadvertently got into. Hopefully can keep up the better form as club championships start on Saturday.

Screenshot_20240131_173620_OxleyGolfclub.thumb.jpg.e0580feaa4ab0bdf089e823c8adfa8dc.jpg

• Like 4

Back on the course after a few weeks off. 

Monthly medal round so a stroke round to see how we go.  42 on the front nine - 5 over.  Unfortunately the 38 degree heat caught up with me on the back nine and came home in 46 after a few wayward shots. 88 nett 73 so I played to my handicap, finished 19th in the field.  Happy with that and pretty pleased to par the 2 hardest holes on the course. 

Here's to next week, hopefully a bit cooler!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

what a few months in golf i have had in my journey to get out to a 54  handicap , but it seems like the  golfing gods a screwing my backside off.

while i am trying to put my ball in positions i cant recover from  , the crazy golf gods  make me recover  and they even make me  either birdie or par a few holes in row   so i cant even try to get to my desired handicap of 54 

i do think the game will be much better if i have 3 shots on every hole 

Since the start of this year i was starting on ride to that figure  got out to handicap of 21.8  somewhere in the piece and thought how good is this   nearly 5 holes of back markers  i will get  2 shot on 

this is when those crazy golf gods got in my head and started to contol my golf 

i was so used to playing of 20 handicap of the white tees    but the last 3 weeks i have been playing of 15 handicap   and after todays miserable effort in trying to go out to a 54 handicap   its likely this saturday i'll be playing of 14  after having a 67 net  85 gross  (not very often i break the 90's)  

anyway  the golf is going really  and to the normal folk my hanicap is moving the right direction while i am not winning any comps 

golf can be hard and frustrating at times when the dials go against you

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would have thought playing better than your handicap was a good thing 🤣 I hate going badly and it going out, which is what's been happening lately. It's back to 10 again although it wasn't helped when two really low rounds dropped off the most recent 20. 

I did nothing in the club championships, but I don't usually play well when it's slow as hell regardless. I hate waiting around on every shot unless there's a good reason for it. Low markers pretending they're on tour isn't one of them. 

Last weekend I played in the Laidley classic again, but that was rubbish as well. I'm not sure I'll go back next year, the greens this time around were atrocious. 

In any case, I've managed to get my swing back for the most part, returning to the familiar draw with the irons again. Today I'm playing in a par comp at my home club, first time I've done one of these but it seems pretty straightforward basically playing match play against the course. Hopefully I'll have a good day. 

Tomorrow is the mixed foursomes over 36 holes. I normally hate playing in carts but I decided to for this one 😜

• Like 4