Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

10 hours ago, Kegory said:

There are always plenty of birds at Bundoora Park.

Thy are probably wondering why you blokes are wandering around with sticks messing up their lawn 🤣

Seriously it is good to have our feathered friends in our yards, parks etc, I get heaps where I live with a river one side of me & the sea the other, so many varieties including the other type. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have mostly magpies and ducks at my course. The maggies follow you around if you're having a mid round snack, one round I left a half eaten banana on my buggy seat while we putted out and they decided to start having a great time tucking into it 😂😂 the good thing though is that they don't swoop us when that time comes. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 6:41 PM, DavidM said:

Golf did not work for me today!

Three putted so many greens, missed chips, missed drives..

Fun day with some good friends, 27 points

Do it again tomorrow

Well, Thursday didn't work that well either..

Missed too many putts and too many silly shots.

29 points.

Saturday was not much better, started slow, didn't get any better till the back nine.

Pared the last to make it to 30 points

Need to get a few good scores before the GA heads North..

Pretty good day today, won the A grade category and dropped 0.6 off the GA to get it back to 8.9. I was happy with the front 9 apart from a couple of brain fades on 5 and 6. Approaches were going well for a change. Back 9 wasn't too bad other than 15, which was largely due to a stupid duck hook drive that came out of nowhere. On the next hole (pictured) I decided to try aiming down the right tree line and draw it with the shape of the fairway, and actually managed to pull it off which was nice. I figured if I hit it straight or fade I'd be over the trees and still have a shot in anyway so why not 😂 Avg drive 248m, longest was that one at 272m. Now to have a few beers and watch 2 or 3 games of footy and go back and see if I can do it again tomorrow 👍

Screenshot_20230429_170522_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.88ed1e1d12b57e8c63140f7281d96662.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Thanks mate 😁 free dozen balls I'm thinking with the pro shop credit lol. Plus whatever I have from placing and NTPs. 

That's what I need, new balls

Lost three Brand new ones today 

One over the fence, Second hit

One in the water, just a crap shot

One in a tree, it just never fell out!

🏌️‍♂️one day Up one day down

Love It

• Like 3

Bit of a strange round today, felt like I played a lot worse than my score ended up being. The short game made up for some indifferent shots, as did the putter. I felt like I couldn't miss, wouldn't it be nice to putt like that every round. That GIR on 3 is an error, I hit it into the front bunker and took two to get out because it was stuffed from rain overnight. Just couldn't be bothered adding the shots in the app. 

One of my regular playing partners was in a different group today but I ran into him on the 9th, he'd had 4 birdies in the first 7 holes, ended up -3 after 9. He ran away with the win shooting 74 for 43 points in the end. Was good to see as he's had a form drop off lately. 

Dropped to 8.8 as well. It's just been hovering around that 8-9 number lately, which is not entirely a bad thing. It's a bit frustrating that work gets in the way of more practice or playing that would see it drop further, but at the same time I'm happy that it's largely holding steady. Finishing off the long weekend with another round tomorrow. 

Screenshot_20230430_164116_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0b57e323ceae477ed7ac10f57ae849f4.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Bit of a strange round today, felt like I played a lot worse than my score ended up being. The short game made up for some indifferent shots, as did the putter. I felt like I couldn't miss, wouldn't it be nice to putt like that every round. That GIR on 3 is an error, I hit it into the front bunker and took two to get out because it was stuffed from rain overnight. Just couldn't be bothered adding the shots in the app. 

One of my regular playing partners was in a different group today but I ran into him on the 9th, he'd had 4 birdies in the first 7 holes, ended up -3 after 9. He ran away with the win shooting 74 for 43 points in the end. Was good to see as he's had a form drop off lately. 

Dropped to 8.8 as well. It's just been hovering around that 8-9 number lately, which is not entirely a bad thing. It's a bit frustrating that work gets in the way of more practice or playing that would see it drop further, but at the same time I'm happy that it's largely holding steady. Finishing off the long weekend with another round tomorrow. 

Screenshot_20230430_164116_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0b57e323ceae477ed7ac10f57ae849f4.jpg

I reckon my arms would fall off if I tried to play 18 holes three days in a row. Mind you, with a handicap of 54 I'd have to play a lot more strokes than you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

I reckon my arms would fall off if I tried to play 18 holes three days in a row. Mind you, with a handicap of 54 I'd have to play a lot more strokes than you do.

I did five in a row on my holidays earlier this year 😂, but it's not often that happens. I dropped four shots in my month off, since going back to work it's just stuck there but better than blowing out again. I probably get less tired now that I'm scoring better and driving it further, a number of par 4s I only have 60-70m pitch shots in, most par 5s I can reach or get greenside in 2, so yeah it's sorta 1-3 full shots each hole depending on its length. Less work 😜

• Like 3

Wednesday Stroke: Cold Windy day

started badly.. the first two holes, came good after that, and finished the 9 even, very happy.

Up and down but still even after 14, only to have a 7 and 8 on the next two.. not happy.

Finished +4 still not a bad day overall but not happy with the two holes near the end.

Oh what could have been, Will see my GA slip out a bit more.

Golf..

• Like 4

I had a bad round on Monday, not sure why just off a bit, plus I couldn't get a putt to drop to save my life. They weren't missing by much so I was still putting reasonably well at least. Ended up with 27 points but the GA remained at 8.8. 

Saturday is the monthly medal, hoping to make it two wins in a row. From a handicap perspective it's essentially a free hit as the round coming off was an 18.5 diff, but the next Saturday comp round will drop off a 9.2 diff, so I'll need to equal the "worst" of the 8 which is 11.1, or better that to avoid it going out. I'm always trying to break 80 regardless though. Sunday is a social club game at a course I have played but not for a while. My last round there was a couple of years ago and I shot in the 90s so I should be able to beat that now 😂

• Like 2

What a load of nonsense today was. Not sure why but I felt on edge the whole round, and it no doubt affected my ball striking. Apart from the ball flight itself I can tell it's a good day when the marks on the driver face are all pretty much in the centre of it; even if a few go off line a bit the swing plane/arc is still good. Today they were scattered around it, although no heel or toe strikes, which only confirmed how I felt - out of sorts. 

I did get some practice at recovering from some rather interesting positions like this one on 3, where I had a small window from the garden bed. Fortunately the pin was at the front, I pitched it onto the bank in front of the bunker and it turned 90° and finished about 3 feet away. Another one on 9 (our last hole) I sliced the drive into the rough on 18, and just for the hell of it since the round was stuffed anyway, went for a 9 iron through a 2 metre gap between branches above, it clipped one and ended up on the green 😂 hopefully I'll be more relaxed like usual tomorrow morning, usually these sorts of off days are one offs.

Screenshot_20230506_173633_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.fd903373b0d8197cb479da185fc65045.jpg

• Like 4

Bounced back in the social club game yesterday. Nice and relaxed most of the day other than a mystery lost ball on 10. A couple of good par saves after awful tee shots on 15 and 18. Didn't chip all that well, seemed like every one was an into the grain lie, and putting was a bit inconsistent until I got more used to the speed. Short iron approaches were quite good, hitting the green about 70%. Had a go at driving this green, just off line a bit but pretty easy par really. Good way to finish the weekend 😁

Screenshot_20230507_132539_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4498ee95467bcdbf581c61615e88cc34.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday Stroke:

Started well and even after 7 holes, only to Four putt the par 3 !! 

From there it never came back, my game just fell apart, finished +11

Wife won the Ladies Monthly Medal.. Go Girl.

Showed up at Aston Hills GC (Mount Barker) today for the Vets game.

Showed up was all I did!

I managed to hit two good drives and a few chips but not much else.

Finished with 24 points.

That will see the GA slip out a bit more.

• Like 1

Good round today in the Oxley cup stroke comp, whatever that is 😂 new PB on any course so a new target to beat now. Pretty good ball striking all round outside of the opening tee shot and the tee shot on 13 that led to the double. Nearly holed out for eagle on the 2nd, ball bounced and hit the flag stick, dropped to about 6 inches, would have been nice if it dropped straight in. GA to a new low of 8.3 as well 👍

Screenshot_20230513_160223_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.03d55830b16ad2e28c88cfb391d17a6a.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday Stableford:

Started well and felt good swinging, nice and smooth, 19 after 9

Play slowed for the next nine and so did my play, lost the rhythm.

Ended with a disappointing wipe on the last to finish with 32

Hate wiping the last.. GA out again, 17.8 🙄

• Sad 1

Bugger! 

It decided to pee down from a great height today, intermittently anyway. Still, had a pretty good round again, first time shooting back to back 70s rounds. I was playing with a bloke I play with semi regularly, we usually have a bit of a mini competition between us. He got me by one off the stick today but both finished on 35 points. As usual the high handicappers have a day out with 40+, but I don't really care about it that much. I'm just happy to be playing well, and have a consistent weekend for once.  I was annoyed at the 3-putts though, they were just dumb, and completely unforced errors. Take those out and it's immediately 3 shots better. 

Screenshot_20230514_154809_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.bc965407cb181a3e7fef9037dc783ef6.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Horrible weekend on the course, 21 points on Saturday and followed up on Sunday with an even worse 18 points. Not really sure what happened but my swing just didn't feel right a lot of the time, and I missed a lot left. Was definitely coming from the inside too much. I did make enough pars, and one birdie yesterday, to at least know it was a temporary mechanical failure and the real swing is still in there. Hopefully will bounce back this weekend. 

Golf was mixed bag today, had many opportunities but felt something was up all day but couldn't figure the feeling out.

Played crape for 11 points on the back to have 22 on the front t with a scratch.

Get home and the phone ri g's to say a great bloke from golf club passed in his 80's  and was great mate until he passed.

Rest in peace dizzy

Will share a quad soon mate.

Love ya dizzy

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear about your mate Oz.

I've played my way into the club match play finals, sort of. Apparently I qualified as a reserve, and a couple of others pulled out so I figured I'd have a crack. This is the second one of the year, there is one that happens after the club championship as well, but I bombed out of that in the first round. I enjoy the format, I haven't played in it at my club before but I won the social club match play last year undefeated. Something about it makes me focus a bit more and I usually play decent rounds. Gotta be better than last weekend that's for sure.

• Like 2