Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

Saturday: Played a good steady round of Golf, except for 3 holes!

Most of the day felt good, the odd mishit, didn't putt that well but happy overall.

Except for Three holes, bladed the ball across the green twice and just rubbish play in general, on those holes.

Finished with 31 points.

Looks like a Hot week coming, might have to miss a few games this week, will practice early morning before the worst of the heat.

• Like 3

I didn't really play well today. Not a big fan of the early morning games especially when I can't get to sleep the night before because I'm not bloody tired enough yet. Definitely affected my concentration and probably distance a bit as well. Started well enough with a 257m drive straight down the middle of the fairway only to end up with a double bogey, pretty much how most of the day went. My approach game was absolutely garbage, not actually sure how I hit 5 GIR given how badly I was swinging it. Couldn't get used to the slow greens either after playing on fairly quick ones the last few weeks, they had been recently scarified as well which didn't help. The dew on the ground made the short game difficult since I couldn't get my usual spin, but you can't land it short either because they like to build raised greens with steep little banks which just kill the momentum and you wind up way short anyway. 

In the end I hacked it around for 87, lost four balls in the drink and took a penalty drop from a bunker when it plugged about 2 inches under the lip. Not a very enjoyable round unfortunately. Next weekend is the final round of club championships and just the late morning Stableford on Sunday. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Final round of club championships today and I started well enough but the wheels fell off around our back 9 (started on 10). The only consistently good part of my game was putting, but it's not much use when the approaches are poo. The "zero" putt on 1 was from the fringe. Driving was okish, but missing both ways isn't ideal. Oh well, back again tomorrow off the whites so perhaps a bit easier. 

1633973593_Screenshot_20230225_185824_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a8d90a516d914224a5b17526b2a986b2.jpg

• Like 2

Better day today, nice to shoot in the 70s again. Nearly holed out from around 60m twice - on the first for eagle which resulted in the birdie putt being under a foot, and again on 12 for birdie, similar length par putt, and that was after a crap drive and pulling a wedge into a tree branch on the third shot. 12 months ago I probably would have turned it into an 8 at least after the drive. Could have been a bit better without the 3 putts too. 

GA went out to 9.3 after yesterday, back in to 8.9 after today. Nice way to finish the weekend 👍

634949317_Screenshot_20230226_171549_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e1ad0b44bcfa570d3beef884d934b470.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 4

just some useless information 

Why do we amatuers feel so bad really in playing our local comp its not likely we are ever going to be playing the British open as a Amateur or pro  unless you are very good Amateur and thats what ya striving for

the worst score at the British open of 121 under the name Maurice Flitcroft ( Also Known as the Phantom of the Open).   he was that bad there is a comp named in the U.S.A named the "Maurice Flitcroft Trophey"  where its not about the lowest score winning but the highest score winning in his honour

but however  though after his embarrassing 121 and being barred for life, a year later   he turns up under his wifes suggestion   and that was to change his name to Gerrad Hoppy  and played in a disguise  but after 10 holes a rule official called him out  and once again barred him.

however he gave up a bit and decided  enough is enough and went a bit wayward until his wife went back to their old home where they brought the family up  and  collected the mail and opened up an overseas letter inviting Maurice Flitcroft and his family  all expense paid to attend an event in his honour , so Maurice  did what was right and attenended and was honoured that he was asked
to speak and play in an event which was in his honour

While in conversation they was saying some pro's had hard time of getting into the British open that got Maurice Flitcroft thinking
he flew back to Scotland and re-entered  under a USA pro golfer name  James Beau Jolley   again Maurice Flitcroft failed Past day 1 of the tournament

this was not the last he tried for success   and like other times went under another Aliases

Arnold Palmtree
Gene Paycheki
[
Count Manfred von Hoffmanstel

lets Just Say Maurice Flitcroft had golf ambitions beyond what his imagination gave him but he never gave up on them

you might think i am pulling ya legs on this , but it is a true story

anyone wanting to watch it  there is a film  called "Phantom of the Open"

Good Movie if you are into your golf  in what you would think  is just a Caddyshack type of movie , but it is an actual true event in the history of the Open

• Like 3

Yeah I watched that over my holidays, funny stuff indeed. I think it was a qualifying tournament he shot the 121 in, he didn't actually play in the open itself I don't think. Either way I love the "well I'll just call myself a professional" 😂😂

I don't think I'll be calling myself that though, had a reasonable weekend at least, with both rounds around the same as opposed to one decent and one rubbish like usually happens. I left a few out there but for the most part I played ok. Just a handful of crappy holes across both rounds. Greens hit was down a bit, partly from inaccuracy off the tee, but the short game helped keep the scores down

713158891_Screenshot_20230304_170450_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0405ddbb5432f0a361fc8e877a230a95.jpg

1466059885_Screenshot_20230305_122323_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a9b5ca092de86faf3edfc8544c631071.jpg

• Like 3

Played four games this week, did OK is each game! Not good just Ok.

Scored two 33's, 32 and 31.

Monday was Vet's golf at Echunga GC, first hit.. OB, Second hit, deep in the trees on the other side, didn't do any good on that hole!

Got a Birdie on one of the Par 5's, Won the Long Drive and in a low scoring day, 34 won the day, my 33 missed out on count back.

Fun 7 days, Brewing is down, Consumption is Up, Playing again Wednesday and Thursday.

Life is Good

• Like 3

Wednesday and Thursday Comps.

My run of OK play continued with an upward trend!

Wednesday I wiped the First hole and just played steady golf from then on, where I missed a drive I nailed the second shot, or the other way around but scored well. Ended with 18 and 20 for a 38 point day and Second overall.

Thursday started slow and had me thinking my run was over but stayed positive, Four points after 4 holes! From there is just all fell into place, if I missed the green, my chip was close, also made some long putts. Ended with 17 on the front and an amazing 25 on the back!

Great day, see what Saturday brings..

• Like 3

Fortunately the rain predicted didn't eventuate, at least not until after the round, and I had a pretty good day apart from one rubbish hole. Started on 10 and just plodded along before two birdies in a row on 18 and 1, the first one was a chip in. It was pretty bloody humid though which may have affected club distances. GA back down to 8.7, hopefully the predicted rain for tomorrow holds off until after the round as well. 

597783948_Screenshot_20230311_202229_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.12bce5aee4339e616fc187004dd3b825.jpg

• Like 3

Another good round of Golf yesterday, missed some easy shots, so was a bit disappointing but golf is always like that, 35 points.

In my last 10 games, I've gone from, Soft Capped on 21.2 down to 17.2 (GA)

The challenge will be to play to it!

• Like 3

played at my other track yesterday ,  played with a comedian.  it was really funny not and was pretty unbearable to play with even though he is of single figures   ,  swore like  the f-word was going out of fashion and was blaming everything but himself.

it doesn't make it an enjoyable day  when one  is spitting the dummy on every shot  and whinging about the group in front that was  keeping up to the group in front easy   .

the rest of the playing group  had fun  ..

my game was a bit of hit and miss all day struggling to get my iron shots more then a inch of the ground   but at the end of the day 32 points of the backmarkers   but i am getting so sick of playing of the back markers  but thats life.

my front nine  was 14 points with a wipe and the back 9 in which should have been an easy 4 pointer to make it 20 points ended up being only 18 points    

arrgh well hopefully Wednesday will be a better game of golf   

• Like 3

The round got cut short by a thunderstorm yesterday, just after teeing off on 16, so since only four players actually finished there was no result and they're refunding the comp fees I understand. 

I started well enough making pars on the first five holes before a silly 3 putt bogey on 6, another on 7 after pulling the tee shot and duffing the first chip, then doubled 8 after going over the fence. Made a nice par on 9 to turn at +4, and a couple more to start the back 9 before bogey, double, wipe, and a par on 15. I started going a bit erratic when the threat of the impending storm became more apparent, up until then I was playing pretty well and having a good day. In any case it won't go towards the GA so no real harm done from the wheels coming off a bit 😅

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

just listened to the today show news   a Qld man gets struck by lightening  while playing golf

i hope this wasn't you  @Otto Von Blotto  that land in hospital 

golf clubs do make good lightening rods   

hope the golfer recovers ok  

Yes, they do Oz, as depicted in this classic film of greatness from 1980.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

just listened to the today show news   a Qld man gets struck by lightening  while playing golf

i hope this wasn't you  @Otto Von Blotto  that land in hospital 

golf clubs do make good lightening rods   

hope the golfer recovers ok  

Nah, we got in before it came over properly, just had a couple of beers while waiting for it to pass then went home. 

I did however get bitten by a spider while walking back after the siren went off 🤣

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Bit of an ordinary round today, the weather decided to be quite hot and draining, and trying to keep my right hand dry to hold onto the clubs was a bit difficult at times. Still hit some nice shots and finished with a birdie when I finally got a putt to drop. Avg drive 247m, longest 296.

112468151_Screenshot_20230318_164747_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.893b818165ce523683039774739ac0c6.jpg

• Like 3

We had a par round today.  It's been about 4 weeks since I last played, with visits to Dad and Mother in law in opposite directions in nursing homes.  Had Dad's funeral on Wednesday and should have gone to visit Mother in law today but my wife said I should get out with my mates and have a hit of golf. 

My mind wasn't truly in it but it was good to get out there, hit a few good shots and enjoy company (and associated sledging!)

Maybe next week we can get back to some decent golf. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Interesting day tee'd off at 7.07am   and it was blowing the crutch of a ol scabby cat    

the game was a teams event called Pinehurst    and its a game about Sorry

basically you and yeah team mate tee off as normal     then you  play  your partners ball   then alternate shot there after till you put out

my team mate said  look oz i tee off first as i am longer  hitter  and i could open up  and he new 99% i am fairway bound 
boy did i fool him  he hit is drives in to the trees  worked in my favour   .  but  sorry  team mate  i had a fresh airy  you have to play the second from  the tee ..     SORRY       anyway  it was a fun  day over all     we finished with 71 net    38 on the front and 48 on the back   and 70km/h winds   only to be beaten by  a group finish with a net 70   

i drove well   which my team ate enjoyed   played my shots out of the trees in which i had to do low draws in which was working well  which baffled my partner saying to me   how the hell do you bend  it like beckham  like that  when you have no shot at the green and ya got to or on to the green  

runner up   still happy

• Like 2